• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's new (added) mandate is 'Make epic games,' Spider-Man is just the beginning

PSqueak

Banned
My dream is an open world RPG where you get to create your own mutant (like CoH/Champions Online). Give me dialogue choices, branching stories and the possibility of going villain and you have the Game of Forever.

The last time this was attempted, it was the game that literally killed the company that made it entirely.

Because that worked like gangbusters for Infinite Crisis.

Oh wait...

Infinite crisis shat the bed because instead of dipping into the IMMENSE pool of characters they have, DC stuffed the roster with just variations of batman, wonder woman, the joker and superman.

Marvel could do a MOBA that could sell well if they actually exploited their roster right.

bunkitz

Telltale's game will be Guardians of the Galaxy. Mark my words.

There have been rumblings about this happening in the past. Most notable evidence is an online questionnaire asking gamers about their familiarity with Guardians, what they would want out of a Guardians of the Galaxy game, and their familiarity with Telltale. Telltale has done online questionnaires early in development of their games in the past - I've taken part in ones for Back to the Future, Jurassic Park and Walking Dead myself - all with some hints towards things that ended up in the actual games. It also makes perfect sense, given that other AAA-games like Spiderman are more likely to focus on other characters first, and goofy, talkative, fan-favorite space adventure is exactly the sort of thing Telltale would want to make. They're also already doing more traditional superheroes with Batman and (rumored) other DC heroes.

Huh. I expected it to be something more like a Marvels kind of thing, like "a look at the Marvel Universe from below." Maybe Ben Urich reporting on stuff. The Guardians would be an interesting choice...
Great move for Marvel, and interesting that they're not following the template of the EA/Star Wars deal with single-publisher rights.

My only concern is homogenization, that Marvel might take its videogames so seriously that it'll only let AAA projects that are huge in scope and character depth get through the system. It'll be awesome for the games it delivers, but the games that don't get through such a system could possibly have been the games that would speak to me as a gamer.

Like if their approach is "epic" games ala the Marvel Cinematic Universe, something as story-devoid and canon-breaking as Marvel vs Capcom might not fit that scope (and any time fighting games try to hew to a larger story, the fun gets crowded on.) Having two different Spider-Man play concepts such as Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man might confuse the brand. Would something family-oriented or multiplayer-focused like LEGO Avengers or Marvel Super Hero Squad still fit? Will every game be a third-person hero adventure (as that's often the most "epic" way to show off a character,) or will varied gameplay experiences be as important to the initiative as epic production quality? Does a portable system like 3DS count when they talk about "epic"? Is a racing game "epic"? How many games have to go through the system before something wide-ranging like Ultimate Alliance can happen (do we have to establish every character before putting them in a team-up game?), and if Sony has Spider-Man and say Microsoft has Hulk some other companies have different characters, does Marvel have the clout to do a character-spanning game using platform-exclusive characters in some other publisher's product?

..But for the most part, I'm psyched for this deal! I'm excited for the level of quality this first title is indicating the whole Marvel Games line might carry, and I'm hopeful that my fears will be allayed through gameplay concepts that push the idea of "epic" in all directions.

I thought of that too, but considering that they've made a comic out of Contest of Champions and coming soon, Tsum Tsum? I don't think it's out of the question for them to make something that's more, "out there."

---

Sure hope that they'll mostly base whatever games they make off of their comics more than the films. Their cinematic universe has a pretty big influence now, but as much as I love it, I'd prefer if things came from the original source material. I'd hate to see The Dark World's "dark elves" in a Thor game. Also, no MCU Jessica Jones, please. Unpopular opinion, but I kind of hate that version of the character, or at least strongly dislike.

Neoxon

Sure hope that they'll mostly base whatever games they make off of their comics more than the films. Their cinematic universe has a pretty big influence now, but as much as I love it, I'd prefer if things came from the original source material. I'd hate to see The Dark World's "dark elves" in a Thor game. Also, no MCU Jessica Jones, please. Unpopular opinion, but I kind of hate that version of the character, or at least strongly dislike.
While yes, a lot of the recent designs are taking after the MCU variants of the characters (Ex: The Guardians now look more like their movie incarnations, Rocket losing his British Cockney accent), it's more about Marvel using characters that are or can be used in the MCU that matters. But given that Marvel Studios is pretty much its own entity now (with only one or two guys from Marvel Entertainment on Feige's board of advisors), we may not get as many far-in-advance character choices in games as we did in, say Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. The farthest we'll likely get is Inhumans, which is likely now a Phase 4 film.

Marvel could do a MOBA that could sell well if they actually exploited their roster right.
Which won't happen given Marvel's recent business practices.

bunkitz

While yes, a lot of the recent designs are taking after the MCU variants of the characters (Ex: The Guardians now look more like their movie incarnations, Rocket losing his British Cockney accent), it's more about Marvel using characters that are or can be used in the MCU that matters. But given that Marvel Studios is pretty much its own entity now (with only one or two guys from Marvel Entertainment on Feige's board of advisors), we may not get as many far-in-advance character choices in games as we did in, say Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. The farthest we'll likely get is Inhumans, which is likely now a Phase 4 film.

That makes sense. Hope you're right about that. I'd like to see what Marvel Games can do for Daredevil... in terms of design. I don't exactly like his suit from the Netflix series (although it's grown on me much more now) so it would be cool to see something new that would fit with the potential game universe they're making here.

Oh. Something I read somewhere, I think in the PlayStation Blog post? It referred to the game as a "Spider-Man Universe," so maybe it won't be like the MCU. I'm mixed on that right now.

Neoxon

That makes sense. Hope you're right about that. I'd like to see what Marvel Games can do for Daredevil... in terms of design. I don't exactly like his suit from the Netflix series (although it's grown on me much more now) so it would be cool to see something new that would fit with the potential game universe they're making here.

Oh. Something I read somewhere, I think in the PlayStation Blog post? It referred to the game as a "Spider-Man Universe," so maybe it won't be like the MCU. I'm mixed on that right now.
I feel like they're gonna pull an Arkham with Spider-Man, focusing more on Spidey's cast of characters & only minor nods to the greater (Marvel-approved) Marvel Universe.

bunkitz

I feel like they're gonna pull an Arkham with Spider-Man, focusing more on Spidey's cast of characters & only minor nods to the greater (Marvel-approved) Marvel Universe.

I'm totally down for that. I think, seeing Mr. Negative's Inner Demons, that you're right. He's not exactly a famous and well-known character outside of the comics and big fans, so that's a pretty big sign, I'd say.

Man, I'd lose my shit if Toxin would ever show up, whether here or in a future game.

I'm totally fine with that. Just want the game to at least acknowledge other characters with hopefully 1 or 2 minor cameos.

I would not be happy playing a lengthy game like this, playing as Spider-Man in New York, and never once hearing about the Avengers, or running into Daredevil, etc.

We had to endure that kinda stuff long enough in the MCU (and continue to with TV-shows).

How about a Winter Soldier espionage game that takes place concurrently at the height of the Cold War and in modern day. You play through unnerving flashbacks and a modern day where he's adjusting back to life and having to navigate an insane conspiracy he helped craft.

latest

I basically have lots of ideas for shooters and violent games.

Man, I was thinking that an Iron Man game similar to Vanquish would be the tits. Y'all were right.

Neoxon

How am I busted? I just compiled all the info we have right now. Doesn't make the info inaccurate, especially given the streak of games affected by the ban. If you want to maintain false hope, go ahead. But it's bad enough that I'm holding out hope for another MvC game. I don't have enough optimism left to hope for the ban to be lifted in the near future
unless Ike Perlmutter gets fired
. I'm gonna try to raise awareness so this shit can end, but I recognize the smaller scale that we are.

How about a Winter Soldier espionage game that takes place concurrently at the height of the Cold War and in modern day. You play through unnerving flashbacks and a modern day where he's adjusting back to life and having to navigate an insane conspiracy he helped craft.

I basically have lots of ideas for shooters and violent games.

Man, I was thinking that an Iron Man game similar to Vanquish would be the tits. Y'all were right.
You had me at Vanquish.

How am I busted? I just compiled all the info we have right now. Doesn't make the info inaccurate, especially given the streak of games affected by the ban. If you want to maintain false hope, go ahead. But it's bad enough that I'm holding out hope for another MvC game. I don't have enough optimism left to hope for the ban to be lifted in the near future
unless Ike Perlmutter gets fired

You had me at Vanquish.

You, me, and George should start up a development firm and convince Marvel to let us direct these games.

Neoxon

Another idea, a MGS-like Ant-Man game. Scott being sent on missions by Hank Pym for shit, with flashbacks to Hank as Ant-Man for other missions that tie into the greater story. And yes, Wasp would be playable, too.

Goon

This. That's why there's matchmaking, so you get paired up with people of a comparable skill level. That doesn't change the fact that UMvC3 is easy to initially learn, but hard to master (like most fighting games should be).

I'm not sure how people are not getting this. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is ridiculously easy to get into. The fact that you can dial a combo and finish it into a super makes it easy as hell to have fun while playing your friends. Obviously if you start playing people who are better than you, you are going to get wrecked. Its no different when I play League of legends and I constantly get bullied out of my lane by better players. MvC3 is like smash where casuals can pick it up and have fun, but there is a lot of complexity when you get into the details.

Neoxon

I'm not sure how people are not getting this. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is ridiculously easy to get into. The fact that you can dial a combo and finish it into a super makes it easy as hell to have fun while playing your friends. Obviously if you start playing people who are better than you, you are going to get wrecked. Its no different when I play League of legends and I constantly get bullied out of my lane by better players. MvC3 is like smash where casuals can pick it up and have fun, but there is a lot of complexity when you get into the details.
Finally, someone else who gets it.

Neoxon

Can anyone point out where the rumor of Telltale's Marvel game being Guardians of the Galaxy originated?

I wanna see an Agent Venom game based on Remender's run. Make it equal parts Spider-Man, James Bond/Mission Impossible, and The Darkness.

Stick a disabled and disaffected soldier with a half-insane symbiote, and then task them to save the world. An armory of weapons, brutal high-class spycraft, and insane, creepy powers. You could have all sorts of crazy powers. I love the idea of multiple tendrils controlling a dozen weapons, a psychotic Venom mode, combining weaponry and webbing, duplicating people's image in the middle of a warzone.

My idea for a third Punisher game involves Frank Castle, Bucky Barnes, and Flash Thompson trapped inside an insane city and being forced to survive against a dangerous occupying force. You can play as any of them, it's open world, and again follows a Phantom Pain style open tactical world, but far more dense. Tells a story about soldiers trapped behind enemy lines.

To be honest, Agent Venom would make such a powerful protagonist in a game or film if written right:

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Beat me to it, but it's likely a similar situation to the Deadpool remaster. I doubt that Activision can change anything about the remasters, but it's easy money for Activision (just renew their respective licenses).

If anything, this gives me hope that Capcom may renew the UMvC3 license for a PS4/PC port.
This is off topic, but it's crazy that you have ten times as many posts in this thread as the next poster, and you're not even the OP. Not judging, I just found it amusing to see your username pop up every three posts or so as I was scrolling through.

Some Nobody

This is off topic, but it's crazy that you have ten times as many posts in this thread as the next poster, and you're not even the OP. Not judging, I just found it amusing to see your username pop up every three posts or so as I was scrolling through.

Gotta remind people how newbie-friendly MvC is, and how we can't have FF/X-Men characters!

Also, someone mentioned how Telltale's game should be Marvels and now suddenly that's all I've ever wanted an I'm totally bummed 'cause that's not what we're gonna get. :(

Neoxon

Marvel, & comic books in general, mean a lot to me.

bunkitz

I wanna see an Agent Venom game based on Remender's run. Make it equal parts Spider-Man, James Bond/Mission Impossible, and The Darkness.

Stick a disabled and disaffected soldier with a half-insane symbiote, and then task them to save the world. An armory of weapons, brutal high-class spycraft, and insane, creepy powers. You could have all sorts of crazy powers. I love the idea of multiple tendrils controlling a dozen weapons, a psychotic Venom mode, combining weaponry and webbing, duplicating people's image in the middle of a warzone.

My idea for a third Punisher game involves Frank Castle, Bucky Barnes, and Flash Thompson trapped inside an insane city and being forced to survive against a dangerous occupying force. You can play as any of them, it's open world, and again follows a Phantom Pain style open tactical world, but far more dense. Tells a story about soldiers trapped behind enemy lines.

To be honest, Agent Venom would make such a powerful protagonist in a game or film if written right:

I really do hope we get an Agent Venom game. He has so much potential gameplay-wise due to his shapeshifting. Web of Shadows did a pretty cool job with the Black Suit, but they can go even further with Agent Venom. All the weapons he can form with the symbiote, in addition to his ability to disguise himself and whatnot, is making me think of a super-powered Metal Gear Solid...

Plus, he looks cool as fuck.
Beat me to it, but it's likely a similar situation to the Deadpool remaster. I doubt that Activision can change anything about the remasters, but it's easy money for Activision (just renew their respective licenses).

If anything, this gives me hope that Capcom may renew the UMvC3 license for a PS4/PC port.
As much as I love UMvC3, I wouldn't want it remastered. I just don't like the idea of remastering a 7th gen game right now. At least, not most of them.

What I really want is MvC4. I remember thinking about that every once in a while back when I first got my PS4. I really wanted Daredevil. Agent Venom would be incredibly sweet too.

As much as I would love for a bunch of "Arkham-style" (3rd-person, story heavy, etc.) Marvel games for their many different characters and franchises, I hope we get a bunch of different genres too, such as fighting in the form of Marvel vs. Capcom 4. Or Marvel's equivalent of Injustice. Shit. Wait. I just got a great idea for that. They could use Secret War's Civil War! I loved that book so much! It was such a cool idea, especially seeing how much every character has changed. (shout-out to Peter for becoming Cap's second-in-command, fuck yeah) I mean, for fuck's sake, we got Venom Hawkeye!

It's one of those things you don't realize you want until you see it happen.

Neoxon

As much as I love UMvC3, I wouldn't want it remastered. I just don't like the idea of remastering a 7th gen game right now. At least, not most of them.

What I really want is MvC4. I remember thinking about that every once in a while back when I first got my PS4. I really wanted Daredevil. Agent Venom would be incredibly sweet too.

As much as I would love for a bunch of "Arkham-style" (3rd-person, story heavy, etc.) Marvel games for their many different characters and franchises, I hope we get a bunch of different genres too, such as fighting in the form of Marvel vs. Capcom 4. Or Marvel's equivalent of Injustice. Shit. Wait. I just got a great idea for that. They could use Secret War's Civil War! I loved that book so much! It was such a cool idea, especially seeing how much every character has changed. (shout-out to Peter for becoming Cap's second-in-command, fuck yeah) I mean, for fuck's sake, we got Venom Hawkeye!

It's one of those things you don't realize you want until you see it happen.
My suggestion was mainly to have the UMvC3 remaster stir up hype for MvC4 & inject some life into the FGC's UMvC3 scene while we wait for the hypothetical MvC4 to be made. Though my main curiosity of if they go with Marvel Super Heroes 2 instead of MvC4 is if they'll keep it closer to the MvC games in terms of gameplay, keep it in line with the previous MSH game, or change it up entirely (either to be like Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, or something else entirely).

Dahbomb

MUA1 and 2 being remastered for current gen makes it a lot more likely that the same thing might happen for Marvel 3!

Neoxon

MUA1 and 2 being remastered for current gen makes it a lot more likely that the same thing might happen for Marvel 3!
Obviously it's not impossible (as Activision has proven), but it all depends on if Capcom's willing to renew the UMvC3 license.

bunkitz

My suggestion was mainly to have the UMvC3 remaster stir up hype for MvC4 & inject some life into the FGC's UMvC3 scene while we wait for the hypothetical MvC4 to be made. Though my main curiosity of if they go with Marvel Super Heroes 2 instead of MvC4 is if they'll keep it closer to the MvC games in terms of gameplay, keep it in line with the previous MSH game, or change it up entirely (either to be like Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, or something else entirely).

Oh. Right. Okay then, yeah. I'd like that.

I sure hope we can eventually get an MUA 3, though. Or, at least, something in that vein. I'm pretty sure that with the way Marvel's approaching their games now, they wouldn't do a sequel on something from Activision...

Hey NTGYK, Chaos Theory or Blacklist style stealth for our Black Widow & Hawkeye game?

We gotta discuss details, man. Marvel must be reading this thread :p

It's gotta be Blacklist! Chaos Theory is the superior stealth game, but we need the action to feel fast and fluid. Plus Blacklist did a better job of allowing you to tailor your playstyle to the game, so if folks wanna go balls-out, they can. Considering Hawkeye is running around with a bow and arrow, it'd be rad.

Sorry for the awful Tumblr gif:

tumblr_inline_o2qc5omW1l1rzhncd_500.gif

But you gotta give them different styles, right. Hawkeye's gotta be messy and chaotic while Black WIdow is polished and efficient.

KevinCow

Banned
I want a Squirrel Girl game.

To beat the final boss, you have to save the game, turn off the system, then come back the next day and Squirrel Girl will have beaten him for you.

Neoxon

I want a Squirrel Girl game.

To beat the final boss, you have to save the game, turn off the system, then come back the next day and Squirrel Girl will have beaten him for you.
And would the final boss be Thanos, or perhaps a Celestial?

It's gotta be Blacklist! Chaos Theory is the superior stealth game, but we need the action to feel fast and fluid. Plus Blacklist did a better job of allowing you to tailor your playstyle to the game, so if folks wanna go balls-out, they can. Considering Hawkeye is running around with a bow and arrow, it'd be rad.

Sorry for the awful Tumblr gif:

tumblr_inline_o2qc5omW1l1rzhncd_500.gif

But you gotta give them different styles, right. Hawkeye's gotta be messy and chaotic while Black WIdow is polished and efficient.
You have chosen...
0084.jpg

... wisely.

I love Chaos Theory, but Blacklist is absolutely the way to go for all the reasons you wrote. Clint being Panther/Assault with Nat being Panther/Ghost would be a good way to give them different styles.

All those trick arrows, man. I can just imagine a car chase mission where you have to utilise them.

Neoxon

As a reminder of what had to be sacrifice to get to this point, this could have been our Doctor Strange figure for Disney Infinity.

13450958_1313987358614957_5626936036139048124_n.jpg

How insane would it be to get a NRS Marvel fighting game?
As BlizzKrut said, NetherRealm Studios is owned by WB Games. While granted, a WB Games-owned studio (Travelers' Tales) did the Lego Marvel games, that was mainly because of the Lego license having Marvel attached to it. If we get another Marvel fighting game, it'll likely be from Capcom (who has experience with Marvel thanks to the MvC games), Namco (known for Tekken & Soul Calibur), SNK (the guys who make King of Fighters), or Arc System Works (known for Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, & the Persona 4 Arena games). There were rumors of Team Ninja (the Dead or Alive devs) making a Marvel fighting game, but that deal supposedly fell through a year or two ago.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
As a reminder of what had to be sacrifice to get to this point, this could have been our Doctor Strange figure for Disney Infinity.

13450958_1313987358614957_5626936036139048124_n.jpg

As BlizzKrut said, NetherRealm Studios is owned by WB Games. While granted, a WB Games-owned studio (Travelers' Tales) did the Lego Marvel games, that was mainly because of the Lego license having Marvel attached to it. If we get another Marvel fighting game, it'll likely be from Capcom (who has experience with Marvel thanks to the MvC games), Namco (known for Tekken & Soul Calibur), SNK (the guys who make King of Fighters), or Arc System Works (known for Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, & the Persona 4 Arena games). There were rumors of Team Ninja (the Dead or Alive devs) making a Marvel fighting game, but that deal supposedly fell through a year or two ago.

I never played Disney Infinity and I want that figure. So sad.

Top Bottom