• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's new (added) mandate is 'Make epic games,' Spider-Man is just the beginning

Some Nobody

The only issue is... it's hard to develop games around characters who are super overpowered like Iron Man. Cause I mean... he can fly anywhere. He's super-tough. Not saying you can't make one, Iron Man games exist, it's just tougher. More street characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine can have games built around them easier.

Man let's not start this again. Last thing I need is a bunch of street-level characters getting video games because "it's too hard" to do the cool people. Iron Man's not THAT OP. Even when he's not being nerfed so he can lose to two scrubs with a shield and a fake arm (*cough*), he's still not so broken that his suit outright can't take damage.

Put him up against the forces of AIM with a bunch of super-science weapons, along with the Mandarin and some of the other people from his Rogues Gallery and there we are. (And let me get an Armor Wars-focused game for the sequel, thanks.)

Of course, my luck it'll be a fucking VR game. >_<

Now that I think of it, I'm kinda glad that X-Men is banned right now. Let some of these other characters get some shine first.

You have fantastic taste.
9tbiULK.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
Hopefully this means more Marvel character games, followed up by an Overwatch-style ensemble Avengers title.

I'd happily take an Overwatch style hero brawler. Like some kind of Arena brawler with many heroes and villains with different powers and abilities.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
With Sony needing to beef the sales and reputation of their internal studios and Marvel's need to get a reputation for delivering the goods they're a perfect match. Disney and Sony also seem to get along very well recently. Hopefully the hatchets are getting buried. Really hope we'll get to see more Marvel games in the coming time.

Neoxon

With Sony needing to beef the sales and reputation of their internal studios and Marvel's need to get a reputation for delivering the goods they're a perfect match. Disney and Sony also seem to get along very well recently. Hopefully the hatchets are getting buried. Really hope we'll get to see more Marvel games in the coming time.
You mean with Sony or with Fox? As for Marvel teaming up with Sony, I hope Sony takes advantage of this & calls up Capcom for MvC4 as a PS4/PC exclusive if it's the kind of deal that you're speculating.

KevinCow

Banned
People keep calling for MvC4... but honestly, after Street Fighter V, I question whether Capcom would be interested in doing another 2D fighter.

Who else might be a good choice to make a Marvel fighting game besides Capcom?

Neoxon

People keep calling for MvC4... but honestly, after Street Fighter V, I question whether Capcom would be interested in doing another 2D fighter.

As stated earlier, Capcom is well aware of why Street Fighter V underperformed (the lack of modes at launch). They aren't blaming the relevancy of fighting games for the underperformance of the game. And even then, Street Fighter V didn't miss the mark by that much. All the doom-&-gloom surrounding Capcom's fighting game future is being blown out of proportion.

Though other than Capcom, I can really only think of Namco & Arc System Works (NRS already has DC). But yeah, Capcom has the most experience with Marvel characters & they'd most likely be the best ones for the job.

The only issue is... it's hard to develop games around characters who are super overpowered like Iron Man. Cause I mean... he can fly anywhere. He's super-tough. Not saying you can't make one, Iron Man games exist, it's just tougher. More street characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine can have games built around them easier.

Though a Guardians of the Galaxy game could be done really well. Have a hub system, pick who you wanna play as, etc.

It's only hard to develop the game if you lack the creativity and imagination to think beyond genre conventions/typical video game power-ups.

Also, that makes no sense. Iron Man isn't as OP as you think. His suit can get damaged, and depending on which continuities you choose, the strength of his repulsor blasts take up a lot of his arc reactor's energy. Those are very interesting powers to play with as it pertains to creating a smart action game with resource management. And that's only one way to do it.

You mean with Sony or with Fox? As for Marvel teaming up with Sony, I hope Sony takes advantage of this & calls up Capcom for MvC4 as a PS4/PC exclusive if it's the kind of deal that you're speculating.

The Spider-Man announcement.... what do you speculate from Time Warner Interactive to counter this at next E3? Rocksteady and Netherealm are probably their strongest assets so far, at least in my opinion.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

Between Sony and Marvel. Fox and Marvel are buying more hatchets. I'm also certain that some of the hatchets used against Sony is not re-prioritised towards Fox.

They still have WB Montreal, right?

I don't look at WB Montreal as being a strong asset to be perfectly honest. I'd rather play a Lego game than Arkham Origins. I feel that Traveler Tales deserve a shot at the Arkham games more than WB Montreal given that their priorities seemed more on selling DLC rather than repairing a broken game.

jurgen

The Spider-Man announcement.... what do you speculate from Time Warner Interactive to counter this at next E3? Rocksteady and Netherealm are probably their strongest assets so far, at least in my opinion.

Counter? No. I think they've had a comfortable advantage in the videogame realm over several years and haven't really made big E3 announcements in the past. For example, I think every single one of the Arkham games were announced in the spring. They don't need to counter as much as much as they just need to keep up the work they're doing.

I don't look at WB Montreal as being a strong asset to be perfectly honest. I'd rather play a Lego game than Arkham Origins. I feel that Traveler Tales deserve a shot at the Arkham games more than WB Montreal given that their priorities seemed more on selling DLC rather than repairing a broken game.

If the next Arkham games ends up being developed by WB Montreal, it will be the equivalent of going from Rocksteady to Beenox.

Neoxon

Between Sony and Marvel. Fox and Marvel are buying more hatchets. I'm also certain that some of the hatchets used against Sony is not re-prioritised towards Fox.
Sony & Marvel have had a good working relationship for a while, which has materialized into the Spider-Man MCU deal. It's Marvel & Fox who have bad blood between one another.

Counter? No. I think they've had a comfortable advantage in the videogame realm over several years and haven't really made big E3 announcements in the past. For example, I think every single one of the Arkham games were announced in the spring. They don't need to counter as much as much as they just need to keep up the work they're doing.

I think Arkham City was announced in late 2009. I don't remember when Arkham Asylum was announced. It kind of blindsided everyone when it came out in August 2009.

Iron Fist by Platinum
Daredevil by Rocksteady

Make it happen, Marvel

I sound like a broken record by now but:

Iron Man by FromSoft. The framework is already there with Armored Core.

Make it so that he starts the game with Stark Industries bankrupt, that way you have to rebuild your company from the ground up reasearching new technologies that'll be used to customise the armor for different missions. That way you get a power curve you can use to design your game.

Moon Knight game could be...

con.jpg

+

rendition1.img.jpg

+

the%20raid%2003.jpg

Coated with...

tumblr_n5yc9crnp11twdnf9o1_1280.jpg

and

the scariest episodes of

22-x-files-ranking.w529.h352.jpg

Imagine this:

A first person fast-paced brawler with elements of parkour, but relentlessly brutal. There are detective elements as Moon Knight investigates fucked up cases. The action sequences are fast, fluid, and bloody. The cases and characters are frightening and disturbing. There's a sense of Moon Knight walking on the razor's edge of sanity through the whole thing. Khonshu is like a Chthulu like entity infecting Spector's mind, the Hannibal to his violent, unstable Graham.

It's only hard to develop the game if you lack the creativity and imagination to think beyond genre conventions/typical video game power-ups.

Also, that makes no sense. Iron Man isn't as OP as you think. His suit can get damaged, and depending on which continuities you choose, the strength of his repulsor blasts take up a lot of his arc reactor's energy. Those are very interesting powers to play with as it pertains to creating a smart action game with resource management. And that's only one way to do it.

I sound like a broken record by now but:

Iron Man by FromSoft. The framework is already there with Armored Core.

Make it so that he starts the game with Stark Industries bankrupt, that way you have to rebuild your company from the ground up reasearching new technologies that'll be used to customise the armor for different missions. That way you get a power curve you can use to design your game.

Yeah, I guess I can see it being done. I just always imagined that Iron Man can just fly anywhere he wants whenever. Like... it's limiting in my imagination, but I can see it being done.

kinoki

Sony & Marvel have had a good working relationship for a while, which has materialized into the Spider-Man MCU deal. It's Marvel & Fox who have bad blood between one another.

Give me a Daredevil & Elektra or Ant-Man & Wasp game by SuckerPunch and I'm a happy camper. Sony seems like the perfect match.

KevinCow

Banned
Here's what I want from a Thor game:

- Open world that you can fly around.
- Different realms to travel between (Asgard, Midgard, Jotunheim)
- A decent character action combat system that incorporates Thor's hammer throwing and lightning powers.
- Collect upgrades as you progress: new Mjolnir and lightning abilities, maybe Asgardian artifacts that grant new powers.
- Dungeons in which you solve puzzles with those abilities.

So I guess basically I just want Darksiders 2 with Thor.

bunkitz

Shit. Can't believe I didn't think of Iron Fist. It would be amazing seeing K'un-Lun. I'd especially love it (K'un-Lun, specifically, so the rest of the game could be different) if it had a Chinese calligraphy kind of look to it. Something like Okami or Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China.

Actually, yeah... I'd be happy with a 2.5D brawler kind of game. Like Strider, maybe. Although, I'd prefer if Danny got a third-person game instead, of course. Oh shit, wait, I can totally imagine a Heroes for Hire side-scroller brawler game. That would be sweet.
Moon Knight game could be...

Imagine this:

A first person fast-paced brawler with elements of parkour, but relentlessly brutal. There are detective elements as Moon Knight investigates fucked up cases. The action sequences are fast, fluid, and bloody. The cases and characters are frightening and disturbing. There's a sense of Moon Knight walking on the razor's edge of sanity through the whole thing. Khonshu is like a Chthulu like entity infecting Spector's mind, the Hannibal to his violent, unstable Graham.

Holy fuck. Give me that. Now. Please. I'd prefer if it wasn't first-person, though. Can't not show off Mr. Knight's classy suit, man.

Though a Guardians of the Galaxy game could be done really well. Have a hub system, pick who you wanna play as, etc.

Forget about Hulk: Ultimate Destruction?

If they can make a good and challenging game revolving around the hulk, they can do it for any character...

Tizoc

Street fighter 5 isnt the only fighting game capcom has ever made

Gartooth

I doubt a MvC4 coming from current Capcom could meet Marvel's new goals for gaming. SF is an IP that has reached higher sales than MvC, doesn't involve a licensing fee, and the latest game still felt pathetically low budget even with a Sony moneyhat. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Marvel's demands for such a game is a huge story mode since it was brought up during MvC3 development, and I don't see that happening with current Capcom.

the problem with Iron Man(similar to Superman) is his free form flight, it's a complete nightmare to design a game around a character that has to do a lot of things on the ground yet can fly around with no limits anytime they want.

I just hope this results in more studios popping up to make these games, not existing studios taking on these projects. We're already getting more than 5 big Star Wars projects out of EA.

Neoxon

X men RPG?

So you're telling me there's a chance?
Nope, & here's my post from the Spider-Man thread explaining why.
Marvel legally has the rights to give developers access to their entire cast of characters thanks to Activision's hold on certain franchises (the X-Men for example) expiring back in 2014. The only license Activision has left is the Spider-Man movie tie-in license, which expires next year. This isn't a matter of Marvel not being able to use X-Men & Fantastic Four characters, it's the fact that they don't want to. Marvel's been trying to minimize the exposure of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in an attempt to lower the popularity of both properties (which would in turn screw over Fox). Within the last few years, Marvel has had a bit of a feud with 20th Century Fox over the properties they still hold the movie rights for (the X-Men & the Fantastic Four). It grew to the point where, after the release of Marvel: Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice knock-off by Kablam), Marvel imposed a complete ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters in games made after Contest of Champions. One of the first victims of the ban was Marvel Mighty Heroes, whose developer (DeNA) had this to say on the matter.

mmh.png

To clarify what this ban means....
  • As stated earlier, all new games made after Contest of Champions are not allowed to use any X-Men & Fantastic Four characters. This includes the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Cyclops, Jean Grey/Phoenix, X-23, Storm, Magneto, Super-Skrull, Sentinel, & more.
  • Games made before the ban with active contracts, like Marvel Heroes (the PC MMO), can add whoever they want until their current contracts expires (Ex: Gazillion's existing contract with Marvel expires in 2019).
  • Remasters &/or ports of older games can be re-released untouched (Ex: The Deadpool remaster for PS4 & XB1).
  • The Maximoff Twins, Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) & Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), are only allowed on a case-by-case basis (Ex: Lego Marvel's Avengers). Only their comic book & MCU incarnations can be used in the event that Marvel allows a developer to use one or both of the Twins, & zero references to their X-Men history can be made. They've also been banned from games more times than not, but their inclusion in certain games isn't impossible.
As for the timeline on how this has affected post-CoC games...
  • Avengers Alliance 2: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Avengers Academy: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Mighty Heroes: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Marvel Future Fight: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
I hope this clears things up a bit.
It's a shitty situation, but that's the way it is.

Piers

Doesn't mean anything to me. I assumed The Walking Dead Season 1 was a sign of radical improvement at TellTale, and it ended up being an anomaly of good writing/management.
Edit: Durr, Tales from the Borderlands was good too.

Neoxon

I doubt a MvC4 coming from current Capcom could meet Marvel's new goals for gaming. SF is an IP that has reached higher sales than MvC, doesn't involve a licensing fee, and the latest game still felt pathetically low budget even with a Sony moneyhat. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Marvel's demands for such a game is a huge story mode since it was brought up during MvC3 development, and I don't see that happening with current Capcom.
You would think that Marvel would have different requirements for different genres. And even then, with what's being said about the Cinematic Story Mode for Street Fighter V, Capcom did a pretty solid first effort (NRS didn't start doing Story Modes with MK9). Not to mention that with Street Fighter V serving as the main Capcom Pro Tour game, Capcom won't have to worry about rushing MvC4 out for the competitive scene.

Neoxon

I just hope this results in more studios popping up to make these games, not existing studios taking on these projects. We're already getting more than 5 big Star Wars projects out of EA.
You do realize that Disney's console publishing studio went belly-up, right? They're licensing the IPs out to existing developers, now (Ex: Insomniac, Capcom, etc.)

KevinCow

Banned
Street fighter 5 isnt the only fighting game capcom has ever made

No. But it's their most recent one, which they were hesitant to make until Sony got involved and helped pay for it, and it severely underperformed. The higher-ups at Capcom are probably wondering whether it's worth it to keep trying with 2D fighters, and they're frankly probably leaning towards no.

The only thing MvC would have over Street Fighter is the popularity of Marvel characters, which I admit, is a big thing. But the chaotic clusterfuck that is MvC gameplay appeals pretty much exclusively to people who have been playing fighting games for years, so I don't know if attracting the kind of person who doesn't really play fighting games but just wants to check out MvC4 because it has Marvel characters that they've enjoyed in the MCU movies would be a good thing. You think casuals get turned off of Street Fighter by going online and getting their asses kicked? Imagine how they'd feel going online in MvC4 and getting stuck in a 500 hit combo with absolutely nothing they can do about it.

Or maybe I'm just hoping really hard that this is all the case because I like fighting games, love Marvel characters, and hate MvC gameplay. I'd kill for a far less chaotic fighter with Marvel characters.

Top Bottom