• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's new (added) mandate is 'Make epic games,' Spider-Man is just the beginning

Marvel striking a deal with Fox for X-Men TV shows, Kinberg (producer on Fox Marvel movies) being friendly with Feige and Marvel releasing two waves of X-Men action figures (in their most popular toyline) gives me hope that this video game ban nonsense will come to an end soon.

Neoxon

Marvel striking a deal with Fox for X-Men TV shows, Kinberg (producer on Fox Marvel movies) being friendly with Feige and Marvel releasing two waves of X-Men action figures (in their most popular toyline) gives me hope that this video game ban nonsense will come to an end soon.
I hope so, but we've yet to see any change for the video game ban. While it was pretty nailed-down for the video game side of things, Hasbro probably squeezed by due to how big of a company they are. But for video games, not even WB Games was able to bypass the ban (they had to do an underhanded reference to Johnny Story via the OG Human Torch without saying Johnny's name), despite the fact that they're probably the only instance where both of the Maximoff Twins were used post-ban. So while Marvel's willing to budge for Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch, the same can't be said for the others.

KevinCow

Banned
Hank or Scott (whoever they use) can likely only go as small as Rocket & as large as Groot for the sake of balance. Wasp would likely be bound to Ant-Man's shrinking limit, as well (with the possibility of her being small the entire time).

But what would their moves be?

Get big
Get small
... A bunch of punches and kicks, I guess?

Neoxon

But what would their moves be?

Get big
Get small
... A bunch of punches and kicks, I guess?
Wasp has energy projectiles, plus she'd probably stay small, so no worries there. But Ant-Man can easily play a bit like Alex in Street Fighter III & Street Fighter V. Imagine Alex's Stomp, but Ant-Man can use it with any size to adjust the speed & hitbox size. While I'm on the subject of Street Fighter characters giving their moves to Marvel guys, Quicksilver could be a pretty good hybrid of Charlie Nash's Street Fighter V incarnation & Rashid.

I hope so, but we've yet to see any change for the video game ban. While it was pretty nailed-down for the video game side of things, Hasbro probably squeezed by due to how big of a company they are. But for video games, not even WB Games was able to bypass the ban (they had to do an underhanded reference to Johnny Story via the OG Human Torch without saying Johnny's name), despite the fact that they're probably the only instance where both of the Maximoff Twins were used post-ban. So while Marvel's willing to budge for Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch, the same can't be said for the others.
Argh, this whole things just irks me. Marvel got a fuckload of greatness in those teams and related characters that it's a crime they don't use them.

Maybe they'll finally do my Hawkeye/Black Widow depressing buddy cop comedy/espionage road trip game idea:

0eef41ed8626ff7580df3a7b7d172221.jpg

Neoxon

Hope for a fighting game like Injustice with Marvel characters that would be awesome.
Again, Marvel Super Heroes 2 would basically fill that void. Though I would hope that it's not just like Injustice. Not because Injustice is a bad game, but because I want something different from a gameplay standpoint. That plus NRS games don't typically last very long in the FGC.

bunkitz

I already expected this as they said something like this before, but I'm really glad to hear it on an even more official capacity now that Spider-Man's been announced.

Now give me my Daredevil, Moon Knight, and Black Panther games. And Fraction's Hawkeye!

Anybody hoping for a "Marvel Game Universe" of sorts? I would want one, although I can also see the benefits of not always being connected. As much as I love the MCU, one thing that annoys me about it is the constant "Hey, we're connected with the other movies. Look, the Avengers!"

Neoxon

I'm on the realistic side of things right now.
And that's great, I wish I was in your situation for everything. But the fact that I grew up on the MvC games (MvC1 was my first game ever....when I was 3) & the fact that MvC was associated to a decent number of important moments in my life kinda has me attached to the franchise. It helped me jump into both Marvel & Capcom's lore head-first, & guided me towards the fandoms that I've gravitated towards today. I owe a lot to the franchise, & I only want to see it flourish. That's why I don't give up hope for another MvC game.

Zackat

I made a slight title adjustment to reflect that this is an additional mandate, so people don't flip out when they tease their newest game on Twitter and it's part of their six Marvel mobile game a year strategy.

could you add the L to "Marvel's"? It been botherin me :D

KingBroly

Banned
Can Capcom even afford a Marvel license at this point? I'd love for it to happen, but...yeah.

Plus, SF5 doesn't make me confident in them trying to make a new Marvel at this point.

Neoxon

Can Capcom even afford a Marvel license at this point? I'd love for it to happen, but...yeah.

Plus, SF5 doesn't make me confident in them trying to make a new Marvel at this point.
Street Fighter V as a fighting game is still fantastic & amongst the best in the franchise (I.E. Third Strike, Super Turbo), the main issue is the lack of content at launch. Now that SFV is serving its role as the main Capcom Pro Tour game, Capcom won't have to worry about rushing another fighting game out to be part of the CPT. As for the licensing fee, Disney is trying to reach out to more developers, so them lowering the cost of said licensing fee wouldn't be surprising. The main question is if Capcom is willing to pay the licensing fee, given the risk of them taking the fall for roster cuts on the Marvel side.

Neoxon

You can find more info about the ban on the first page. It's stupid, definitely, but that's the current situation with Marvel games. It's not that Marvel can't use the likes of Wolverine or Deadpool, it's that they don't want to (Marvel doesn't want to promote Fox material).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
hey, Marvel. How about that Marvel vs Capcom 3 PC port and patch? Eh? EH???

Neoxon

hey, Marvel. How about that Marvel vs Capcom 3 PC port and patch? Eh? EH???
I'm not sure if they'd change anything about UMvC3 if they did a PS4/PC port beyond maybe adding the Vita features (Gold Herald alts, Replay Channel, etc.), but I would love for it to get ported to PS4 & PC.

Totally.

My idea for Daredevil must come to fruition.

Shit, Chris Samnee already illustrated the perfect cowl for him too:
3712845-4685277888-Chris.jpg
You have fantastic taste.

Top Bottom