• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's new (added) mandate is 'Make epic games,' Spider-Man is just the beginning

Anung

Un Rama
Daredevil and Punisher games please.

I've said it a million times but make Daredevil like Dying Light/Mirrors Edge but with Perceptions echo-location art style/graphics. I'd throw heaps of cash at that.

Punisher would need MGS:TTP levels of game-play choice but in an urban environment. Choose optimal ways to hit the mob and generally be a one man army.

Neoxon

I've said it a million times but make Daredevil like Dying Light/Mirrors Edge but with Perceptions echo-location art style/graphics. I'd throw heaps of cash at that.

Punisher would need MGS:TTP levels of game-play choice but in an urban environment. Choose optimal ways to hit the mob and generally be a one man army.
They could also go with the "World on Fire" vision used for Daredevil in the MCU.

pHand

I'm pretty sure I read in some Gaf thread that the surveys for that Telltale game were all about Guardians of the Galaxy. So expect that, maybe?

Yup, apparently they asked about potential storylines and art styles, so if it is GotG, it's still very early in the planning stages. Pretty fascinating to see how early market research is done, though.

CamHostage

Didn't even think of this when Spider-Man was announced, but this is huge that Marvel is finally getting into games. I assumed when the Star Wars deal went through at EA that it'd be a matter of time before they chose another publisher (my guess was Activision) to produce all the Marvel game projects. This is beyond that, and I'm quite interested in what the second game they produce will be, and with whom...

I'll believe it when I see it. There are only a handful of good Marvel games and a ton of crap.

But do understand, every one of those other Marvel games was made via a publisher licensing the brand on a certain agreement-of-terms financial payout, and then those publishers were free to design, program, and market those products on their terms (with concept agreement and then some brand approval, but not oversight) as they saw fit. This seems to be a little different. Marvel is calling the shots, and publishers/developers are invited to pitch or take meetings on brand plans (it is unknown whether Marvel will be designing docs ahead of time and then going out to look for suitable developers) but they must understand that Marvel will be involved deeply in the process and assumedly would have final say over what goes to stores and when. Activision could make shit or it could make awesomeness (they did both over their long relationship with its parts of the Marvel rights, I'd be scared to see what the ratio was) it never mattered so long as the product sold. Now, Marvel gets to say, "I know you want our brands, but you're going to have to work your ass off to get them, and we'll be right on your back the whole time." Money and time will always be a factor, crap may still come from any one of these projects, but Marvel is now an arbiter on the outside, a publisher can't just annualize a line of games because it's good for their bottom line.

Nzyme32

That's more of an exception than the rule.

Did you not read what I wrote? Like I said, these are obviously in the minority. However, there is nothing stating that those 3 will be the only games ever to have such a path. So as I said, the vast majority won't but the possibility is certainly there.

Punisher with Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system would be rad. And Hitman-levels of options and missions. But more shooter friendly.

Neoxon

Ooo didn't think of that.
Also a Black Panther game would be ace.
Basically Capcom could go the SFxT route in terms of the roster. Just make a shit-ton of Marvel characters for MSH2, then port those models over while making new models for the Capcom side & some of the Marvel side for an actual MvC4.

Neoxon

If they wanted to be petty about it.

LOL, of course they would be petty about it!
And here I thought that Marvel was the petty one. Imagine the roster for MSH2....
  1. Captain America
  2. Iron Man
  3. Thor
  4. Hulk
  5. Black Widow
  6. Hawkeye
  7. Quicksilver*
  8. Scarlet Witch* (Psylocke successor)
  9. Vision (Cyclops successor)
  10. Black Panther (Wolverine successor)
  11. Captain Marvel (Rogue successor)
  12. Spider-Man
  13. Ant-Man/Giant-Man
  14. Wasp
  15. Star-Lord
  16. Rocket Raccoon
  17. Gamora (X-23 successor)
  18. Mantis
  19. Drax
  20. Groot (Sentinel successor)
  21. Adam Warlock (Phoenix successor)
  22. Nova [Richard Rider, none of that Kid Nova bullshit]
  23. Ms. Marvel (Super-Skrull successor)
  24. Black Bolt
  25. Medusa
  26. Quake
  27. Iron Fist
  28. Daredevil
  29. Punisher
  30. Cloak & Dagger
  31. Blade (Deadpool successor)
  32. She-Hulk
  33. Ghost Rider
  34. Taskmaster
  35. Ultron
  36. Loki (Doctor Doom successor)
  37. Thanos [Final Boss]
* = Capcom may have to beg for this character

Sesha

I'm not holding my breath for MvC4 or Marvel Super Heroes 2/All-Stars Fighting whatever.

Iron Fist, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Platinum Spider-Gwen would be great.

Neoxon

MGU - Marvel Game Universe. As part of the contract, all devs can make references to stories and events in all other games developed in the MGU. That would be pretty ambitious.
But how would that work for something like MvC4? For example, what if Capcom wants to include a
non-mutant/non-F4-related
character that's either elsewhere or killed off in a previous game?

But how would that work for something like MvC4? For example, what if Capcom wants to include a
non-mutant/non-F4-related
character that's either elsewhere or killed off in a previous game?

Fighting games, kids games (i.e. TT), and other non story driven games are not part of the MGU. Just like the animated spider man movie is not part of the MCU.

Dartastic

Hopefully that includes Marvel vs. Capcom 4.

Marvel, Disney, & Capcom pls
A+ first post.

Seriously though I'm so happy that they're doing this. Im pretty sure that I can speak for almost everyone in this forum when I say that Spider Man has always been a series that has had such potential since we played the second movie game, and oh my god if Marvel is putting their muscle behind this for real with insomniac as a developer we have every reason to be excited.

v1lla21

How about a new marvel ultimate alliance? Or marvel heroes on consoles. Are you willing to do that Mahvel? Hmm. Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?!?!?!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I made a slight title adjustment to reflect that this is an additional mandate, so people don't flip out when they tease their newest game on Twitter and it's part of their six Marvel mobile game a year strategy.

Neoxon

Perhaps Marvel would want to make a console version of Contest of Champions rather than new entry in the Marvel vs series
That's basically Capcom's Marvel Super Heroes fighting game (or Marvel Super Heroes 2 in this scenario). There's a reason why console Injustice is so different from mobile Injustice. What works on mobile doesn't necessarily mean it'll work on consoles (same for the other way around). Plus I doubt that Kablam would be up to the task of making a full console game. You'd need an experienced developer for console fighting games, & Capcom has the most experience with Marvel characters. Other viable options would be the likes of Bandai Namco & Arc System Works (NetherRealm Studios is more on the DC side of things, with them doing Injustice 2 right now). But yeah, given their experience, Capcom would be the best way to go.

YES ABSOLUTELY

The Punisher game on PS2 was one of the best shooters of that generation.

slus-20864-game-ss-4

Would love a modern-day shooter in the vein of The Phantom Pain-style gameplay with a tight and awesome storyline.

Doesn't even have to be an MCU tie-in or anything. Just give me a fantastic original mature storyline with awesome, satisfying shooting and game mechanics.

Oh! Oh! Ghost Rider and Moon Knight games!

Ghost Rider as an awesome racer/beat-em-up!

Moon Knight as a psychological/supernatural horror game!

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
This sounds exciting. We will probably get a connected game universe. An original world with new versions of characters. So excited!

Really looking forward to an legit Iron Man and Hulk game. Daredevil would be cool.

Edit: A Platinum games Hulk or Iron Man. Epic as shit. They made TMNT and Transformers so it's not way out there.

Neoxon

This sounds exciting. We will probably get a connected game universe. An original world with new versions of characters. So excited!

Really looking forward to an legit Iron Man and Hulk game. Daredevil would be cool.
It would kinda go against how Insomniac has a ton of freedom with the Spider-Man game. As stated earlier, you may run into issues where a certain developer would want to use, say War Machine in one of their games. But in a game made before said developer's game, War Machine was killed off. This could pose a problem, especially if something like Marvel Super Heroes 2 or Marvel vs. Capcom 4 ends up being made & Capcom wants to use certain characters for its Cinematic Story Mode. I'm not saying that it can't work, Marvel Studios proved that they were able to make a movie cinematic universe work. I'm just saying that it's a bit of a different deal with it comes to video games. Though as another GAFer said, they could just make the fighting games & Lego games non-canon to side-step those issues.

The only issue is... it's hard to develop games around characters who are super overpowered like Iron Man. Cause I mean... he can fly anywhere. He's super-tough. Not saying you can't make one, Iron Man games exist, it's just tougher. More street characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine can have games built around them easier.

Though a Guardians of the Galaxy game could be done really well. Have a hub system, pick who you wanna play as, etc.

Neoxon

I like these characters, but I question how growing/shrinking powers could really be made to work in a fighting game.
Hank or Scott (whoever they use) can likely only go as small as Rocket & as large as Groot for the sake of balance. Wasp would likely be bound to Ant-Man's shrinking limit, as well (with the possibility of her being small the entire time).

The only issue is... it's hard to develop games around characters who are super overpowered like Iron Man. Cause I mean... he can fly anywhere. He's super-tough. Not saying you can't make one, Iron Man games exist, it's just tougher. More street characters like Spider-Man and Daredevil can have games built around them easier.

Though a Guardians of the Galaxy game could be done really well. Have a hub system, pick who you wanna play as, etc.
FTFY, seeing as Wolverine is kinda off-limits, now. That being said, fighting games aside, they could do a similar thing that you mentioned for the Guardians for the Avengers or the Inhumans.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Every time I play Overwatch, I dream of a day when we get a Marvel Civil War themed hero shooter.

Neoxon

But I'll say this, if Marvel's serious about letting developers go nuts, they need to lift the stupid X-Men/F4 ban. It's only gonna cause problems for developers going forward in terms of the story-telling potential, or the roster potential in the case of fighting games. Do I think Marvel will lift the ban anytime soon, no (unfortunately), but they should. It's only a matter of time until a big Marvel-wide game, be it MvC4 or otherwise, where the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, & Doctor Doom will be missing & the casuals are gonna wonder what the hell happened. Either the developer would end up taking the fall for it (something that, in the case of MvC4, Capcom can't afford right now) or people are gonna rally against Marvel. And even then, those characters being locked out may end up scaring certain developers away from working with Marvel IPs. Either way, it's a lose-lose situation.

Top Bottom