• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

IHaveIce

Banned
Now announce Xbox Live MP is free and GOLD is only for deals and freegames

Edit: But like already said this is fucking great

Withnail

Microsoft is the one who will win on this matter while Sony will lose a vital reason for people to buy its consoles if they agree on this.

I'm not saying that I'm against it. Of course it will be wonderful news for everyone but let's not forget that in this generation Sony is the one selling way more consoles than Microsoft, therefore, the majority of future customers will probably choose the PS4 over the Xbox One because their friends will already have PS4s so they will probably want to play with them and that will increase the rate by which Sony dominates this generation of consoles.

If Sony agrees to Xbox-PSN cross network services, they will lose that and to be realistic, from a business standpoint, there is no reason whatsoever for them to allow that to happen. They may still do it to make people happy and build up even more goodwill but their financials will definitely take a hit from it if they decide to go for it.

Correct, this is not a move that would be made by the market leader.

However it looks like a shrewd move by MS and an example of where competition potentially benefits end users.

Sorry if it been answered, but this thead 12 pages long, what about games that aren't Windows 10 exclusive? Also since MS are pushing it hard, do they mean PC games sold on the W10 store only?

Reading it again, if they ask for WinStore/W10 games only then yeah, good luck.

Nice trojan horse though, can't blame them for trying.

Papacheeks

Banned
That's a great step in the right direction. XBox division redeemed....a little.

Let's see what else the have in store for the rest of the year.

gdt

That's crazy. Now you can play with friends regardless of platform. Wow, hope Sony follows m. Though they kind of allow this sometimes already.

jbug617

Banned
If Tekken 7 FR does come to Xbox One, PC and NX (Only announced for PS4 so far) it would be awesome for it to be cross-play. You wouldn't have to be worried about player base on certain consoles at all.

David___

Banned
Are they really that bad? Blizzard needs to sort their shit out then. It would be great to see it happen but maybe expecting Blizzard to jump in is a big ask.

Havent played since last year but from what I hear, yea. The main issue is the save transfer from PS3>PS4 and 360 >XBO. The current gen isnt hackable but people can transfer hacked items from their previous console to the new ones.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
Welcome to the new age of online gaming!

Officially confirmed by our friends at Microsoft earlier today, Rocket League and Xbox One cross-network play will soon become a reality!

To say that the team here at Psyonix is both honored and excited to have Rocket League as the first cross-network game is a massive understatement. Cross-network play has been the number-one most requested feature our community has asked for since Rocket League was first announced on Xbox One, and now that we are able to pursue complete online unity on all platforms, today’s announcement is a dream come true.

Expect to see Rocket League cross-network play working on Xbox One and PC later this spring, with information regarding other platforms coming soon.

We can’t wait!

Tweet

http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/03/xbox-one-cross-network-play/

Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/

Super Confusing, so Rocket League only saying future update will include XB1 + PC cross play.

What does "open invitation means" anyway. Does it mean MS is going to define the rules and Sony has to follow? ( say like Mandate using Azure Server )

Also Rocket League didn't specifically mention of XB1 + PC + PS4 Cross Play.

Does it mean on the login page, a PC player has too choose PC + PS4 OR PC + XB1? I guess PS4 user base is bigger than XB1 because Rocket League is a PSN+ game, right?

We need some more clarifications how this works.

Blizzard should do this for Diablo 3. Co-op with PC, PS4 and Xbox One players.

They can't do that unless they move the console's online services over to Battle.net.

Right now, you can hack and dupe items to your heart's content on the consoles because they don't have closed, secured servers. In fact, I believe for the consoles, they just use basic peer-to-peer matchmaking.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Microsoft is the one who will win on this matter while Sony will lose a vital reason for people to buy its consoles if they agree on this.

I'm not saying that I'm against it. Of course it will be wonderful news for everyone but let's not forget that in this generation Sony is the one selling way more consoles than Microsoft, therefore, the majority of future customers will probably choose the PS4 over the Xbox One because their friends will already have PS4s so they will probably want to play with them and that will increase the rate by which Sony dominates this generation of consoles.

If Sony agrees to Xbox-PSN cross network services, they will lose that and to be realistic, from a business standpoint, there is no reason whatsoever for them to allow that to happen. They may still do it to make people happy and build up even more goodwill but their financials will definitely take a hit from it if they decide to go for it.

TL;DR: I'm not sure if Sony will open the doors of PSN, at least not in the short term.
Sony's on the driver's seat this gen I don't think agreeing to this matters much except for XboxOne owners. The people that want a ps4, will get a ps4.

Alienous

This still doesn't make sense. We have absolutely no idea if partying up is possible cross platform. Rocket League devs have explained at length how hard it is considering their game has wildly different backends of Steam and PSN. Yeah, you will be able to play with people across platform, but you might not be able to party up and play with friends when you want, which renders your whole point moot.

That's a fair point. We'll have to wait and see how games handle it, but even then there isn't really a business reason for Sony to do it. They either get the same amount of goodwill as Microsoft, or lose goodwill, so that's why my original point was that Microsoft will benefit most from this either way.

Raide

Havent played since last year but from what I hear, yea. The main issue is the save transfer from PS3>PS4 and 360 >XBO. The current gen isnt hackable but people can transfer hacked items from their previous console to the new ones.

Bleh. Messy stuff.

Maybe we have to wait for D4. :D

Vinland

Banned
Like I said last week, Microsoft has adopted this strategy on the enterprise. Azure cloud is a premier place to run Java 8, Groovy and Scala which are fantastic languages for enterprises. Also it makes them a great runtime for Apache Storm and Hadoop.

In their bread and butter space they already put effort to help run Linux on Windows. They effectively gave the single best variation of JavaScript, TypeScript, to the open source community. Google now uses it for AngularJS 2. They have given up the .Net platform to Open source. They have Code which is a fantastic editor for many languages. They just now became Eclipse foundation members and release all their tools on the Eclipse market place now.

In my mind, a Microsoft not wanting to do this in the gaming space is a Microsoft with two completely different goals butting heads. And it is a step in the right direction if they want to HELP reinvent the gaming console with its peers footing part of the costs and energies.

shandy706

If Tekken 7 FR does come to Xbox One, PC and NX (Only announced for PS4 so far) it would be awesome for it to be cross-play. You wouldn't have to be worried about player base on certain consoles at all.

It's possible they went ahead and put this out there, because they have and want some games from studios that want a larger player pool and less splitting of their fan-base.

Thinking through this more, I don't think we will see PS4--X1 cross play happening much. Probably vast majority of titles will be PC--console type of play.

Shhh no facts please.

'Your move, Sony' is the new 'Sony too!' apparently.

Yeah, was a bit funny seeing so many of those posts instead of just being happy XB1 owners finally get to play against PC guys lol.

EGM1966

Damn interesting change of strategy. Not going to try and extrapolate it too far but with their move to release many franchises on PC we're clearly seeing a major shift going on with respect to their view of gaming market and place of their own console in it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It would be monumental if they get Sony to start using Azure for this to work.
Microsoft cashing in on the PS4 lol.

Man never thought this would happen, ever. I am somehow still skeptical, so I'll just say lets see if this actually happens (looking at you Sony?)

I get the feeling a lot of people are jumping ahead of themselves here. I have a hard time figuring out how some of this stuff is going to work, realistically, between PSN and XBL.

Papacheeks

Banned
That's crazy. Now you can play with friends regardless of platform. Wow, hope Sony follows m. Though they kind of allow this sometimes already.

Actually Sony has been the one leading the way with cross platform play. They are one of the reasons rocket league is so huge, and probably seeing the numbers MS saw how many people play across PC/PS4, it's s no brainer.

Sony does this for a lot of titles.

I get the feeling a lot of people are jumping ahead of themselves here. I have a hard time figuring out how some of this stuff is going to work, realistically, between PSN and XBL.

Basically it would only really work if Sony or the 3rd party games make full use of the Azure servers I believe.

But its possible

Great move MSFT. I guess their, as well as SONY's policy revolves around everything that isn't a shooter (FPS or TPS) could have cross network play with all platforms.

This could lead to fun times in fighting games.

SMattera

They can't do that unless they move the console's online services over to Battle.net.

Right now, you can hack and dupe items to your heart's content on the consoles because they don't have closed, secured servers. In fact, I believe for the consoles, they just use basic peer-to-peer matchmaking.

More than that, the console/PC versions of Diablo III are fundamentally different games.

One of the great things about this is that developers now shouldn't have to feel dissuaded to bring games to Xbox due to the user base. This is going to be great for xbox in games with low user base on the platform like fighting games.

DryvBy

I don't think the "my friend plays on console X" will be removed thinking about this more. There's no real way to party up with friends unless you do a friend code system. This will just populate more servers is all.

Alienous

It would be monumental if they get Sony to start using Azure for this to work.
Microsoft cashing in on the PS4 lol.

Now that would be a surprise.

I imagine Azure will be used for Microsoft exclusives, but maybe not given Xbox's new attitude.

Top Bottom