• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

This thread already has 12 pages, so maybe someone already asked this, but isn't this mainly for games in the ID@Xbox program? The whole page is dedicated to the changes in the ID@Xbox program, not the entire Xbox Live service? Or am I missing something?

Garlador

It's about damn time.

I hope this leads to great things for everyone involved.

Get ready, Xbox One owners... you're almost assured to get Final Fantasy XIV now.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Cross network saves would be hard/impossible... how do you prove that someone's PSN ID and XBL ID are linked? It would require an unprecedented sharing of customer data between Sony and MS. Plus if saves are hosted on MS's infrastructure or Sony's infrastructure, you need a synchronisation mechanism between the two which is an expensive computing problem to solve.

Cross platform is already there for XBox <-> PC on Windows 10. I don't know if there's an X-platform equivalent for PSN<->PC, I would assume that would require "PSN for Windows" or similar to make it happen.

most (if not all) publishers have some sort of third-party account you can link other accounts to. When Destiny or GTA let you do character transfers it seemed like it was limited by the console manufacturers policies not necessarily technical limitations.

Alienous

I don't think the "my friend plays on console X" will be removed thinking about this more. There's no real way to party up with friends unless you do a friend code system. This will just populate more servers is all.

We'll see going forwards, but in-game party systems should make that possible in the short-term, and maybe we'll see linking your Xbox Live ID with your PSN ID, like PlayStation has done with Steam in the past.

Wait, you think there's a chance that Microsoft isn't going to use Azure?

Lol, it does read like that.

No, I meant that I think Azure would only be used for Microsoft games without cross-console compatibility, but it's hard to tell with Microsoft's recent actions.

This still doesn't make sense. We have absolutely no idea if partying up is possible cross platform. Rocket League devs have explained at length how hard it is considering their game has wildly different backends of Steam and PSN. Yeah, you will be able to play with people across platform, but you might not be able to party up and play with friends when you want, which renders your whole point moot.

This is an important distinction for the thread to read. Microsoft is saying they're on board with Xbox players co-existing with players from other platforms in multiplayer servers.

That's not the same thing as cross platform friends and parties. There's still going to be a reason to buy on the same console as friends - both Sony and MS will want you to be a part of their social graph, to buy into the same ecosystem as your buddies. It's a fight over users now just like other internet era markets.

You might start seeing Destiny MP match you against other platforms in crucible, or dark zone opponents in The a Division from other platforms, but it's a much different ask to expect to be able to friend and party with those same people.

Baleoce

Massive news. Just need multiplatform developers to all support this feature now. Also I'm not entirely sure what Sony's position is on cross-console play if someone could clarify that for me. I know they allow PC. Then there's Nintendo. It would be amazing if they got on board with this too with the NX.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This thread already has 12 pages, so maybe someone already asked this, but isn't this mainly for games in the ID@Xbox program? The whole page is dedicated to the changes in the ID@Xbox program, not the entire Xbox Live service? Or am I missing something?

Any title.

This news is big but lets not get too exited here. Lets see if big AAA games like COD, Battlefield etc. are supported and i want to have the possibility to invite these "other platforms" people, chat with them and play. Which i'm not so sure it'll be done properly, yet.

It does unify the communities and populate the games more though which is great but is already being done with big games on PS4/PC, which is a huge pool of players already.

Thinking through this more, I don't think we will see PS4--X1 cross play happening much. Probably vast majority of titles will be PC--console type of play.

Yeah, was a bit funny seeing so many of those posts instead of just being happy XB1 owners finally get to play against PC guys lol.

I posted a "your move Sony, or similar", but it wasn't a silly gloating post - I am genuinely exited and I REALLY want the PS4 player base there too!

IvanJ

Banned
I think this is great news for everyone, and that there will be no change in the original platform choice. I have a PS4, and it will be great to have a wider selection of players to populate the servers.
Hopefully big players will embrace this idea, and give us cross-play for Destiny, Division, Battlefield...

I am just worried that Sony might come out and give us the "we see no value for our customers" talk. They've gotten off fairly lightly with EA Access, but this would cause a huge outrage.
That's why I think Sony will be aboard. Denying this wonderful news can only bring them bad press.

So this is basically them going all in on Xbox being obsolete in lieu of a general push to services, isn't it?

It is certainly more evidence of MS viewing Xbox as more of a service than a piece of hardware. As we've been seeing from them for the past year or so. A major transition

Havent played since last year but from what I hear, yea. The main issue is the save transfer from PS3>PS4 and 360 >XBO. The current gen isnt hackable but people can transfer hacked items from their previous console to the new ones.

New save files only, not imported. Simple fix.

But the real issue is PC allows more enemies on screen, I believe it lacks the roll move too.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
HUGE props to Xbox.

XBOX v PS battles are going to be seriously epic.

The God

Microsoft is the one who will win on this matter while Sony will lose a vital reason for people to buy its consoles if they agree on this.

I'm not saying that I'm against it. Of course it will be wonderful news for everyone but let's not forget that in this generation Sony is the one selling way more consoles than Microsoft, therefore, the majority of future customers will probably choose the PS4 over the Xbox One because their friends will already have PS4s so they will probably want to play with them and that will increase the rate by which Sony dominates this generation of consoles.

If Sony agrees to Xbox-PSN cross network services, they will lose that and to be realistic, from a business standpoint, there is no reason whatsoever for them to allow that to happen. They may still do it to make people happy and build up even more goodwill but their financials will definitely take a hit from it if they decide to go for it.

TL;DR: I'm not sure if Sony will open the doors of PSN, at least not in the short term.

I don't think anyone is going to stay on the console their friends don't have just because they can play together. Party chat, invites and friends lists are basic features that won't become cross-platform.

I hope this makes sense lol

Swass

This was how I interpreted it also.. that it was going to be for indie games, not AAA.

It's for any title that wants to enable it. Not just ID@Xbox titles.

Welcome to the thread!

Do you know how much Sony needs to do in order to enable PSN to connect to XBL games, or is all the actual work offloaded to the dev in a title like Rocket League, so it should all just work, subject to policy from Sony?

trikster40

The gauntlet has been thrown. They basically are putting the ball squarely in Sony's court: if games aren't cross-platform online, it's because Sony didn't allow it.

Trup1aya

So, does anyone have any actual technical details about how this works? From reading it, it sounds like it's limited to games developed with XB1 + Win10 APIs, right?

Does that mean that games must be released on the Windows Store to have compatibility?

Are other parties (e.g. Sony) sending their data to XBL servers for addition features like parties, or is it simply the ability to have cross-platform play? The details are sparse it seems.

I mean, rocket league will be one of the first games to have xb1 to PC cross-play, and the PC version is Steam, and not limited to win10.

Sounds like they are opening up the XBL API to allow communication with other networks, and allowing developers who are making games Outside of MS' walled gardens to communicate with XBL servers.

Party features sounds like an entirely different beast from what's been announced so far.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
most (if not all) publishers have some sort of third-party account you can link other accounts to. When Destiny or GTA let you do character transfers it seemed like it was limited by the console manufacturers policies not necessarily technical limitations.

Are you suggesting those Indie developers in ID@Xbox program who are already struggling with time and resources, are going to happy building an User Credential system ?

Does Sony actually have to do anything or is PSN already open? Does anyone know?

The gauntlet has been thrown. They basically are putting the ball squarely in Sony's court: if games aren't cross-platform online, it's because Sony didn't allow it.

I don't know if it's that cut and dry. Devs still have to allow it, and some may not because of competitive advantage (at least where PC is concerned)

Trago

If it's up to developers, why the fuck wouldn't they want to implement this? The Division is doing so hot right now. Imagine if everyone who bought the game could play with each other. Hell, the next CoD needs to use this. Active monthly users would be less of a concern when you're dealing with an even bigger pool of players.

It's a win/win for everyone.

Top Bottom