• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is Facing Its Biggest Challenge Since The Launch of XB1 (XboxAchievements)

Bluenoser

Honestly the only people facing a big challenge right now are the gamer who prefer single player offline games and stuff like that. The challenge of accepting the inevitable change.

It's not a sustain able business anymore. People buying habits have changed. Both in prefers genres and game modes. The amount of time and money the invest in different games etc...

I just don't get why the game media is not aware of that and is still riding the wave of the old vocal "ex- core gamer", that are not the core at all anymore.

But probably because of the clicks

Damn good thing Sony and Nintendo got our backs then hmm?

Main surprise I can see for E3 is Splinter Cell for Scorpio. That is one franchise that is also closely associated with Xbox brand.

Another nice thing would be ME triology remaster.

KingBroly

Banned
Main surprise I can see for E3 is Splinter Cell for Scorpio. That is one franchise that is also closely associated with Xbox brand.

Xbox, right now needs to start revealing some games to make up for all of these cancelled ones. And no, not at E3, NOW. Their first party stable's been thin for a long time now, and it seems to only be getting thinner.

jelly

Would love another Splinter Cell but doesn't seem to fit current Ubisoft strategy

Microsoft need to go alone and do Perfect Dark Future Splinter Cell with their own IP.

Rembrandt

Banned

I could actually see Splinter Cell being a timed exclusive or something. A new SC game would be amazing.

Would love another Splinter Cell but doesn't seem to fit current Ubisoft strategy

Microsoft need to go alone and do Perfect Dark Future Splinter Cell with their own IP.

Really surprised Perfect Dark has been dormant for so long.

JusDoIt

“Winning” is out of the question. That ship sailed a long time ago.

The question is how much good will and mindshare they can rally back in the three years between the launch of Scorpio and the start of next-gen/PS5 (likely 2020).

I didn't mean win the generation. I just meant have more success from here on out.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Xbox, right now needs to start revealing some games to make up for all of these cancelled ones. And no, not at E3, NOW. Their first party stable's been thin for a long time now, and it seems to only be getting thinner.

How many games have they cancelled? You make it sound like they canned 10's of them.

Daffy Duck

Minecraft is still a golden goose for them. Potentially cannibalizing sales with an unneeded sequel is way too risky imo. What could they do in a sequel they can't do now? I expect we'd only see a sequel if the game ever started to seriously slow down in sales, and even then with the super mod-able nature of Minecraft I don't know what they would do in a Minecraft 2 that couldn't be done now with mods.

Don't think it'd be 2. But some kind of minecradt product

Yeah 2 was a stretch thought, maybe something else Minecraft, but as you say what it could be is a difficult one.

RoKKeR

They really don't. They have a solid slate of games coming out this year, big 3rd party releases will continue to be the primary drivers of hardware sales (as they have been for the entire generation) and we will get a better picture of what's coming next at E3.

The Scalebound cancelation certainly shed light on MS's weak first party stable, (and it is something I hope they address) but I don't think it is the cause for panic like we see in this post and others.

It's not surprising, but still amusing in a way that the cancellation of that game has triggered this big backlash against the Xbox brand. They need a very solid E3, or heads might start rolling sooner than later at the management level.

I never cared about Scalebound but I'm trading in my Xbone today because it just reminded me how little, if ever, I play the thing and now that I know there are no real exclusives in the pipeline I'm through with it. I already have a PS4 and a PC, I got my current Xbone because of that sweet BestBuy TV bundle but besides Quantum Break and the MCC I have nothing to keep me playing it.

How many games have they cancelled?
The two big ones were Fable and Scalebound. But even if Scalebound hadnt been cancelled, it's only one game. As if MS was really going to put all their chips into one game for 2017. The reactions on neogaf are outright laughable. "Oh no I don't know if any game that MS announces will ever come out again! What will MS do!" Crackdown 3 and Halo Wars 2 are in the pipeline. But those have been known for a long time. If people really believe MS has nothing else to announce in or for 2017 they're ignorant. Period. You don't stop planning ahead in the gaming business, especially if you're one of the big 3 companies. And if things have been rocky with Scalebound behind closed doors for a while, you know MS has been trying to come up with fallback plans for much longer than all of this new and idiot panicking.

Exclusives definitely matter to a dying breed of gamer. The "hardcore" or those 25-40 can definitely remember a time when exclusives often sold consoles like crazy. I'd be one of them. The PS4 is a Naughty Dog and God of War(Days Gone, Horizon, Detroit and a few of the others don't really interest me)box for me as more of a PC gamer these days.

If exclusives were as big of a deal as they used to be, MS would have had a shit year for Xbox. As it turns out, they announced most of their games would no longer be exclusive. Many of those games would also come to PC, and MS still had an amazing year for selling the XB1.

Sony obviously got the marketing deal for RDR2. The first 6 months or so after the release of that game will be HUGE for PlayStation. That game(while not exclusive)will move some consoles. GTA VI? Oh yeah lol

blakep267

How many games have they cancelled? You make it sound like they canned 10's of them.
THeyve only cancelled 3 announced games and shut down project spark after it didn't perform well. Stuff like the Obsidian game or halo mega bloks were never announced and weren't even that far into development

Hwoar

Sounds very much like the Pro announcement to me.

I'm not sure I'm getting your point.

You said that there was a different standard, which implied to me that you thought it was 'unfair' for that to be OK for Sony and not for MS. It's totally OK, but it seems to me that people are just genuinely expecting (hoping?) for way more then that when I see them talking about 'launch lineups' etc. Maybe because MS wasn't very clear yet with their Scorpio information, but I don't really see your different standard.

shoreu

Serious question:

What are the odds they show off a spin-off game?

Like an ODST 2.

I just don't think 343 has been working on Halo 6 only since the release of Halo 5. We know that they are a big studio, and while a lot of their staff isn't all in game development, they have to have quite a lot of devs there.

Now previously I would have assumed that there was a small team focused on Halo 6 right around the time Halo 5 released that got ramped up as the DLC for 5 winded down mid 2016, but I'm kinda split on that. Mainly because while the DLC for 5 was great, the monthly release schedule and actual content of the releases make me think that there were not many devs dedicated to Halo 5 DLC. Just a few small dedicated teams like the forge team.

Then there's Halo Wars 2, which while bearing the Halo name, I am guessing isn't taking up a lot of devs on 343's side given Creative Affinity's involvement in the project. Its possible CA is doing most of the the game dev side and the 343 staff on the project are there for story and art design related reasons.

This all being taken into account (along with a grain of salt) paints a messy picture, but I just get the feeling 343 has a team that's working on something entirely separate from Halo 6.

I'm sure Gaf would complain it's more of the same but i'd love to see a Halo Elite (ala ODST but with elites). seems like a great setup for a fun story and more lore for me.

I agree with this too. E3 is too far away and they've been so quiet some information and good news should be pivotal to them.

Honestly the only people facing a big challenge right now are the gamer who prefer single player offline games and stuff like that. The challenge of accepting the inevitable change.

It's not a sustain able business anymore. People buying habits have changed. Both in prefers genres and game modes. The amount of time and money the invest in different games etc...

I just don't get why the game media is not aware of that and is still riding the wave of the old vocal "ex- core gamer", that are not the core at all anymore.

But probably because of the clicks

Maybe the gamer gamer who prefers single-player offline games and stuff like that and who for some reason will only play games on Xbox are facing a challenge. But Sony and Nintendo are putting out plenty of single-player games. As do a lot of indie developers whether they launch their games on PC, PS4 or mobile. Microsoft is the only one that has gone all-in on games as a service. Thing is, Microsoft's experience there is proving the opposite of what you say. If games as a service is the future and people who want single-player are fewer than they appear to do, how come Microsoft has failed so utterly with their attempts to move in that direction? Halo 5 bombed. Gears 3 bombed. Project Spark bombed. Fable Legends didn't even make it to launch. Does anyone even remember or care that Gigantic exists? The only truly successful (compared to expectations) games-as-a-service games on XBO are Killer Instinct and Minecraft and possibly some of the Forza games. And Mindcraft they didn't develop themselves but had to buy for billions of dollars.

A few companies have succeeded with games as a service (e.g. Blizzard, Valve) and many others have failed. Just as with single-player games where a few succeed and many fail

Tecnniqe

Banned
You said that there was a different standard, which implied to me that you thought it was 'unfair' for that to be OK for Sony and not for MS. It's totally OK, but it seems to me that people are just genuinely expecting (hoping?) for way more then that when I see them talking about 'launch lineups' etc. Maybe because MS wasn't very clear yet with their Scorpio information, but I don't really see your different standard.

What I'm saying is that people say MS need some sort of huge lineup of games for Scorpio with the addition that they somehow cancel every game ever, is doomed and that all the games they ever make is the same but also never make anything new or take risks while the other group does exactly the same but with more third party support for what I deem as "niche" games, for the most part, makes it somehow perfectly fine.

TL;DR

MS need this this and that for anything of value.
Sony only had to say 4k.

The two big ones were Fable and Scalebound. But even if Scalebound hadnt been cancelled, it's only one game. As if MS was really going to put all their chips into one game for 2017. The reactions on neogaf are outright laughable. "Oh no I don't know if any game that MS announces will ever come out again! What will MS do!" Crackdown 3 and Halo Wars 2 are in the pipeline. But those have been known for a long time. If people really believe MS has nothing else to announce in or for 2017 they're ignorant. Period. You don't stop planning ahead in the gaming business, especially if you're one of the big 3 companies. And if things have been rocky with Scalebound behind closed doors for a while, you know MS has been trying to come up with fallback plans for much longer than all of this new and idiot panicking.

THeyve only cancelled 3 announced games and shut down project spark after it didn't perform well. Stuff like the Obsidian game or halo mega bloks were never announced and weren't even that far into development

So while it wasn't an actual IDK question, I expected there to be some I never heard of due to the use of "all these cancelled games" when in reality its just more doom and gloom over like 3 games.

For comparison, how have Sony done in the space?

I know they shut down a studio, did that take any announced/released games/support with it? That seemed to have mostly blown under the radar due to all these threads.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Expect more of the same. Everything I've been told suggests they'll be leaning heavily on thier core franchises - that includes Scorpio too.

Crackdown 2 won't make 2017.

Expect more of the same. Everything I've been told suggests they'll be leaning heavily on thier core franchises - that includes Scorpio too.

Ok lol

As long as PritheeBeCareful has been told these things. You have my attention :p

For my own thoughts though, I don't think anyone shouldn't expect anything less at this point. MS won't make big IP moves until next generation(if generations aren't officially over). Hell, they may never.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Salsa?

Also Crackdown 2 missing its launch window by 7 years is pretty impressive. TLG impressive.
I know, you meant CD3

Delpij

Because you're making up a narrative out of thin air with no substance to back it up other than the tired not trusting PR shtick.

Play anywhere. Forward compatibility. UWP. No games in 2017 is your opinion. Mid gen refresh they're marketing as a machine that can play current gen games in 4k or however the dev wants to use the extra power. Making Xbox a family of devices instead of relying soley on one machine.

It's crystal clear what they're doing.

We don't agree because you don't know what you're talking about. Instead...you'd rather jump on the negativity train instead of understand what's going on.

With all due respect, the fact that I have a different opinion doesn't allow you to say that I don't know what I'm talking about.

First, this year's offering in terms of games is factually weaker than on Sony's machine. It's not "my opinion". It's a qualitative and quantitative appreciation of actual release dates.

Secondly, what you mentioned in terms of benefits and features has virtually no added value for the current Xbox One target market.
I understand that Microsoft is trying to evolve Xbox from a console to a platform, and that Play Anywhere and UWP are part of this wider strategy. Fair enough, it does bring potentially interesting things to the table.

But guess what: that's one of the biggest challenge they ever faced since the launch of the One. Exactly what this thread is about.

And once again, my hypothesis is that nobody has a clear idea of how Scorpio fits in all this. This year's physiognomy is proof of a defensive stance that often lead to deprecation.

Which is not something I'm even hoping for.

Mooreberg

They do not need a high volume of releases so much as they need to complement what third parties are already bringing to the table. Shooters and racing games are not underserved genres that desperately need more releases. They did a great job with this for the first four years of Xbox 360. Lately, they seem content to release fewer games with monetization built in. But how long can that work when the sales are dropping and people are playing third party games instead?

I know they shut down a studio, did that take any announced/released games/support with it? That seemed to have mostly blown under the radar due to all these threads.
Neither Sony nor Nintendo have announced games that ended up being cancelled.

Guerrilla Cambridge released Rigs before they were shut down. So, no.

With all due respect, the fact that I have a different opinion doesn't allow you to say that I don't know what I'm talking about.

First, this year's offering in terms of games is factually weaker than on Sony's machine. It's not "my opinion". It's a qualitative and quantitative appreciation of actual release dates.

Secondly, what you mentioned in terms of benefits and features has virtually no added value for the current Xbox One target market.
I understand that Microsoft is trying to evolve Xbox from a console to a platform, and that Play Anywhere and UWP are part of this wider strategy. Fair enough, it does bring potentially interesting things to the table.

But guess what: that's one of the biggest challenge they ever faced since the launch of the One. Exactly what this thread is about.

And once again, my hypothesis is that nobody has a clear idea of how Scorpio fits in all this. This year's physiognomy is proof of a defensive stance that often lead to deprecation.

Which is not something I'm even hoping for.

What major heavy hitting games does Sony have coming this year? I mean, God of War looks to be possible by the end of 2017, but what else? A lot of the offerings are either new IP's or JRPG's.

Zelda and the new Mario game are the only heavy hitting AAA exclusives I've seen.

Make no mistake, the biggest games will still be stuff like ME: A and RDR2 in 2017.

What major heavy hitting games does Sony have coming this year? I mean, God of War looks to be possible by the end of 2017, but what else? A lot of the offerings are either new IP's or JRPG's.

Zelda and the new Mario game are the only heavy hitting AAA exclusives I've seen.

Make no mistake, the biggest games will still be stuff like ME: A and RDR2 in 2017.
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo Sport.

Edit - I'm not sure what "heavy hitting" has to do with what you quoted though. That doesn't counter what was said.

etta

my hard graphic balls
What I'm saying is that people say MS need some sort of huge lineup of games for Scorpio with the addition that they somehow cancel every game ever, is doomed and that all the games they ever make is the same but also never make anything new or take risks while the other group does exactly the same but with more third party support for what I deem as "niche" games, for the most part, makes it somehow perfectly fine.

TL;DR

Sony only had to say 4k.

So while it wasn't an actual IDK question, I expected there to be some I never heard of due to the use of "all these cancelled games" when in reality its just more doom and gloom over like 3 games.

HAH pretty much.

Hardly - I hear bits on the grapevine, but it could just as easily be rumour.

bro you gotta be careful with this kind of stuff

What major heavy hitting games does Sony have coming this year? I mean, God of War looks to be possible by the end of 2017, but what else?

Horizon? Gran Turismo?

I doubt God of War is coming this year.

Sony only had to say 4k.

Uh... were you here when the PS4 Pro was announced? Because that certainly wasn't the case.

Delpij

Sure, ME: A and RDR2 are going to be super big. But:

• Yakuza 0
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Nioh
  • Persona 5
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Days Gone
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  • The Last Of Us Part II
  • Spider-Man
  • Ace Combat 7
  • Hellblade
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Ni No Kuni II

Horizon: Zero Dawn and Gran Turismo Sport.

Edit - I'm not sure what "heavy hitting" has to do with what you quoted though. That doesn't counter what was said.

Those are not going to be big games in terms of sales or pushing the console. Ok, MAYBE GT: S.

I'm asking for relevant games and known IP's. From where I'm sitting, it's looking a little thin for both Sony and and MS in 2017. Unless one of them announces something huge that no one seen coming that will also release at the end of the year.

Top Bottom