• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have an issue with not trusting a company based on its practises. I'm boycotting EA and buying from Valve and GOG for precisely that reason. I'm also not buying game consoles for similar reasons. I have an issue with your justification and bringing ethics into a decision that should simply be about normal consumer behavior.

Microsoft, Sony, EA, Nintendo, Activision, even Valve simply want profit. They don't have ethics or feelings, they offer products and we decide if we want to buy them. Every single one of these companies has acted in an "unethical" way in the past and will do so again.

So by all means, take into account the practises of a company before making a decision. But don't put blind faith in a company because it's "ethical". You are setting yourself up from disappointment.

Who said anything about blind faith? That's the opposite of what I've been saying. You basically said companies are never ethical and that's pure nonsense. I judge companies based on their actions. Getting caught up in past transgressions is pretty pointless, otherwise would could trace everything back to Original Sin and refuse to engage in any commerce. But there are clear demarcations we can discern in the current behavior of industry participants.

big_z

No. Black friday PS4 sales could erase whatever lead the XB1 currently has. Anything is possible for both.

it wont. Microsoft has an entire month of very strong sales plus black Friday deals and halo. sony only has black Friday and the deals aren't as aggressive.

was there any update to the special 3 game bundle with aggressive pricing for black Friday/holiday sony was rumored to be putting out?

it wont. Microsoft has an entire month of very strong sales plus black Friday deals and halo. sony only has black Friday and the deals aren't as aggressive.

was there any update to the special 3 game bundle with aggressive pricing for black Friday/holiday sony was rumored to be putting out?

See, that is logical, but then most of us thought Titanfall month was a guaranteed win for Microsoft too. I really wouldn't be surprised if people are still more interested in PS4 this month.

Well they have a week of 3 times the sales the week prior.

big_z

See, that is logical, but then most of us thought Titanfall month was a guaranteed win for Microsoft too. I really wouldn't be surprised if people are still more interested in PS4 this month.

I remember marketing out the ass for titanfall but people started to cool on the more info we got before release. I think many realised it was not the next evolution of fps.

Microsofts hype train has been picking up speed for a while now and they threw the red log into the boiler with all these deals. Sonys train was running hard since launch but they haven't done much to stoke the fire.

Donos

No. Black friday PS4 sales could erase whatever lead the XB1 currently has. Anything is possible for both.

Many pointed out that who has more stock will probably sell more. My guess is that MS is going to win it. To many crazy good deals for the month.

On Demand

Banned

Don't think any of that really matters. It's Black friday. Both console will see a huge increase in sales. I still say it's too early to call. But PS4 is currently leading in the U.S and it still has the mindshare going for it.

I think Sony will announce whatever they're planning the week of BF. Unless the $399 GTAV bundle is all we're getting.

how many days before the price cut did they announce that the price cut was going to happen? because if the week before everyone knew that the price was going to be reduced in a few days...

It was announced Oct. 27th. With the tracking period for October's NPD coverage being up to and including November 1st, I think that's 6 days? So almost that entire last week of October which would be the one MS are comparing it to for 3x the sales

what is the confirmed PS4 BF bundle anyway

General is GTAV [Physical] + TLOU [Digital] + PS4 for $399, Walmart also has 2 more bundles, meijer has one more. Can't think if there are any other PS4 bundles as most retailers just have the GTAV/TLOU bundle

pLow7

Explain to me why Microsoft is going all in in the US, although they had pretty "good" sales in the last Months ( Geven if not as much as PS4 )?

I mean, is winning US so much more important, than actually selling some Consoles outside of the US ?

They're getting their asses whipped by Sony here in Europe. Sony isn't even trying to do something here, they just sit on their fucking asses and enjoy it. There is like no competition here, we don't get crazy Bundles like US, GTA Bundle ? 429€.

cheesekao

Is LittleBigPlanet not a popular franchise or something? GAF seems to hardly talk about it but the trailers on the Playstation website gets shitloads of views. The latest TV spot that was released 2 days ago already has close to 600k views. I'm rather new here so I don't know if LBP1 and LBP2 were hyped up in the past or not. The past two mainline titles sold like gangbusters IIRC. Even though it's on the PS3 as well, LBP3 looks like a title that can move units if marketed properly.

jiiikoo

Banned
Explain to me why Microsoft is going all in in the US, although they had pretty "good" sales in the last Months ( Geven if not as much as PS4 ).

I mean, is winning US so much more important, than actually selling some Consoles outside of the US ?

I mean, they're getting their asses whipped by Sony here in Europe. Sony isn't even trying to do something here, they just sit on their fucking asses and enjoy it. There is like no competition here, we don't get crazy Bundles like US, GTA Bundle ? 429€.

Of course the US matters the most. Who in their right mind would think there's people outside the US?

Don't think any of that really matters. It's Black friday. Both console will see a huge increase in sales. I still say it's too early to call. But PS4 is currently leading in the U.S and it still has the mindshare going for it.

I think Sony will announce whatever they're planning the week of BF. Unless the $399 GTAV bundle is all we're getting.
Both will sell a lot during Black Friday.
The difference is: Until then, MS already kicked PS4's ass for three weeks.
November NPD is already decided.

Explain to me why Microsoft is going all in in the US, although they had pretty "good" sales in the last Months ( Geven if not as much as PS4 )?

They're getting their asses whipped by Sony here in Europe. Sony isn't even trying to do something here, they just sit on their fucking asses and enjoy it. There is like no competition here, we don't get crazy Bundles like US, GTA Bundle ? 429€.

Because it's expensive to scale what they're doing worldwide for two months?

Companies don't have endless buckets of money, and even when they do, they don't necessarily get to spend them.

stryke

Is LittleBigPlanet not a popular franchise or something? GAF seems to hardly talk about it but the trailers on the Playstation website gets shitloads of views. The latest TV spot that was released 2 days ago already has close to 600k views. I'm rather new here so I don't know if LBP1 and LBP2 were hyped up in the past or not. The past two mainline titles sold like gangbusters IIRC. Even though it's on the PS3 as well, LBP3 looks like a title that can move units if marketed properly.

As of 2012 (which means excluding Vita), LBP series has done about 8.5 million units. It's not bad but I think they make a lot of money from costume DLCs and whatnot.

pLow7

Because it's expensive to scale what they're doing worldwide for two months?

Companies don't have endless buckets of money, and even when they do, they don't necessarily get to spend them.

Yeah, but why spend the money on the US when it's the only Market where you are actually selling something ?

pLow7

Because the competition is still doing better, despite that fact.

Yeah, and here we are at my initial question. Why is the US so much more important? I mean, while Sony is doing better in the US, they've no competition outside of the US, it's very similar to the PS2 era here.

MS is giving me literally no reason to go out and buy a XO here.

Both will sell a lot during Black Friday.
The difference is: Until then, MS already kicked PS4's ass for three weeks.

Some data we have to go by (from the one with access to Best Buy regional sales) suggests that MS "kicking PS4's ass" may be front loaded:

There was a veritable... well, explosion is a bit hyperbolic, but as soon as the price drop hit, we had a pretty drastic increase in XB1 sales. First day and forward, with the CoD launch as well, sold a bunch of the various bundles. But even just the last two days, that rush has tapered off significantly, and while still better than last month's pace, it isn't outselling the PS4 anymore. They're pretty close now, with just that rush of systems putting it ahead for the month so far.

The "ass kicking" momentum being sustainable for all three weeks leading up to Black Friday is perhaps not as much of a given as you may think.

Oh I missed some sort of meltdown earlier in the thread about shipped vs sold.

For the platform holders a sold-in unit is a sale.
And over the long run shipments can serve as a proxy for sell-through, while bearing in mind there'll be some degree of supply in the channel.

But we're not really at that long run point yet for these systems, and the holiday quarter is particularly notorious for either intentional or unintentional overshipment, (which consequently results in smaller CYQ1 shipments in the following quarter.)

danowat

Banned
Regardless of sales, MS have a very solid piece of kit, with some cracking exclusives.

It's sad how the perceived value of a piece of kit like the xbox one has to be brought down to a couple of metrics (sales & "P"'s)

Miles X

Some data we have to go by (from the one with access to Best Buy regional sales) suggests that MS "kicking PS4's ass" may be front loaded:

The "ass kicking" momentum being sustainable for all three weeks leading up to Black Friday is perhaps not as much of a given as you may think.

Funny that bestbuys own website contradicts him though??

#Anecdotal anyway.

Gaf does not talk about these cute games more instead their focus is on action packed games and multiplayer which is really sad to see. LBP3 is going to be silent big hit for Holidays one which is going to push PS4 sales(especially dec for christmas). Also this is the only big game for Holidays which family can spend time because even Nintendo has not any games other than Super smash (there is Mario kart 8 too but i don't expect this to have charm like Lego and LBP and its also similar to hardcore) which is hardcore game than targeted at children.

EDIT: There is PS4 family bundle with LBP3 and LEGO which is going to be very popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom