• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 delayed to 'Spring 2016'

Do you care about online modes in this game? Did you back this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wasn't a Kickstarter backer, so I have to go back and read how online was described. I'm not sure what it is/does.

Can't wait to back Red Ash 2 tho

So would y'all rather a delay, or for the game to come out broken?
The game wouldn't come out broken. What is broken is a minor mode most people who want to play this won't give a shit about until after they've beaten the game.

People want to play Megaman not some fucking competitive time trial or whatever that online mode is.

Beartruck

Real talk, wanna bet the real reason for the delay is that Megaman Legacy Collection comes out with a Physical edition in February, and they don't want people to make the comparison?

Meia

So would y'all rather a delay, or for the game to come out broken?

I would be good for the game to come out as is now if it's truly finished and not just waiting for the multiplayer to be done like they've alluded to, since single player is why EVERYONE backed it originally anyway.

Can we not pretend this game hasn't had a troubled backstory ever since the kickstarter ended? From another KS just for voice work, to a cartoon being licensed before the project is actually out, to trying to succeed with ANOTHER KS for a different game before the project is actually out, to very last minute delays to the game that kind of makes it seem they have no idea what they're doing...

RexNovis

Banned
I don't see why it's relevant that it was kickstarted. The development process is the same. The only difference is that people actually get a transparent view into game development and don't at all understand that delays are normal and expected in game development. Milestones are missed. Unforseen problems arise.

I understand why people are unhappy with the game in general. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm only talking about the outcry that happens pretty much every time a crowdfunded game gets delayed.

Name a single other game that was delayed 2 weeks before it was supposed to release and assigned a new release date that didn't even list a damn month as a target. Please enlighten me as to these other games that have done this because as far as I can tell this is just another in a long history in this games clusterfuck of a development. This is not "just a delay" and your efforts to paint it as one are as sad as they are transparent.

Mivey

If the multiplayer is so fucked up that it needs over a year of developement, why not split it from the game, and then release it later as an update? Most people would be happy to have the game earlier and you could still release it to meet whatever stretch goal you want.

But I guess this is a Japanese thing, where they would be morally compelled to commit Sepukku if they did not deliver on all their promises on release.

Narroo

Bizarre issues like this really is just a part of game development. Anyone here ever hear about the Crash Bandicoot 1 save glitch that popped up right before launch?

Still, why does this game have online multiplayer in the first place? It doesn't really seem necessary.

Seems like a weird reason. There can't be that many (any?) backers who would mind having online patched in later. I certainly don't think of a Megaman inspired game and say to myself "Well, this better have some sort of online functionality!".

Bizarre issues like this really is just a part of game development. Anyone here ever hear about the Crash Bandicoot 1 save glitch that popped up right before launch?

Still, why does this game have online multiplayer in the first place? It doesn't really seem necessary.
They've been alledgedly working on these online issues for like 6 months now. This is more like development hell than normal game development.

Zomba13

I've not been keeping 100% up with this but is the online stuff actual multiplayer? Like, play at the same time in the levels, both Beck etc? Or is it just online leaderboards? Because I was sure it was just online leaderboards but I don't know why I thought that.

What a fucking shit show this is turning out to be. Regret having backed this game and will never support another Inafune project again.
My thoughts exactly. I got pulled in by the "from the creator of Mega Man" bit and backed it for whatever tier included a copy of the game ($25, $30?) but at this point after all of the delays, seeing the demo, him already talking about merchandise, animated series, and all of the other nonsense surrounding this game and Red Ash I don't even want the game. I'm just writing off my backing as the cost of a lesson learned at this point.

gunstarhero

Kickstarters should be more realistic and have the end date push with every stretch goal achieved - or release the goals in updates like Yatch Club Games did. It's totally unrealistic to meet your original date when the scope of the project completely changes.

rmanthorp

It's 2054 - The world is on fire - Chaos reigns and all civilization has collapsed - A backup generator is hooked up to a personal computer in hopes to get a message out - Emails come flooding in - 'Update #879 Mighty No 9' - It's been delayed 2 weeks to add 2D sprites instead of 3D models...

mrmickfran

It's 2054 - The world is on fire - Chaos reigns and all civilization has collapsed - A backup generator is hooked up to a personal computer in hopes to get a message out - Emails come flooding in - 'Update #879 Mighty No 9' - It's been delayed 2 weeks to add 2D sprites instead of 3D models...
They should've used sprites from the get go ffs.

There will be some kind of DLC/microtransaction bullshit on the online portion right?

That's the only reason I can think of for not cutting it

I've not been keeping 100% up with this but is the online stuff actual multiplayer? Like, play at the same time in the levels, both Beck etc? Or is it just online leaderboards? Because I was sure it was just online leaderboards but I don't know why I thought that.
There's some coop levels and a Vs time trial mode.

MattXIII

I didnt back this game as much as i loved the og Megaman games. Always thought Inafune's strengths lay in character illustration/concept work more so than producing/directing.

But who's actually doing the bulk of the development work on this? Comcept or Inti Creates?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Name a single other game that was delayed 2 weeks before it was supposed to release and assigned a new release date that didn't even list a damn month as a target. Please enlighten me as to these other games that have done this because as far as I can tell this is just another in a long history in this games clusterfuck of a development. This is not "just a delay" and your efforts to paint it as one are as sad as they are transparent.

Gone Home on consoles was delayed in Europe the day it was supposed to be released just a week and a half ago. Last May, the week before Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX was due to be released on 3DS, it was delayed three months.

This shit happens. It's part of development. Much of the time we don't really know about it because it's hidden behind layers of PR and company announcement schedules, but these indie Kickstarters tend to strip all that away.

Kickstarters should be more realistic and have the end date push with every stretch goal achieved - or release the goals in updates like Yatch Club Games did. It's totally unrealistic to meet your original date when the scope of the project completely changes.

Every videogame kickstarter I've backed has delivered at least a year after the "Expected delivery" date on the KS campaign. If something says on the KS page it'll be delivered in, say, December 2016, I expect I'll be playing it around Christmas 2017. It's just part of the deal.

jacobeid

Banned
Man, I actually kind of feel bad for Keji and the staff now. Sucks there's another delay, but obviously they're trying their hardest to have it resolved. Think I read three apologies in that statement, Keji knows they screwed up big time.

Does he though? You shouldn't feel badly, they brought this on themselves.

How far into the conspiracy territory would it be to think there is more going on than just the online stuff?

Wouldn't it be obvious to only delay a feature that few people asked for?

Given the company's awful PR and community managing, I don't think it's much of a conspiracy to think that there's more than just networking issues.

How far into the conspiracy territory would it be to think there is more going on than just the online stuff?

Wouldn't it be obvious to only delay a feature that few people asked for?

Blackage

They have no intention to patch in online features, so it has to ship in the game, it's probably also a nightmare due to them putting it on so many damn platforms.

That said it sucks.

Bloodstained also got an online challenge mode when it hit 4 million. >_<

As a backer I have no problem waiting since I have plenty of games to play but who asked for multiplayer on a mega man type game? Hate when they add an online feature when it's not needed. Their forgetting what made the old mega man games fun in the first place.

They have no intention to patch in online features, so it has to ship in the game, it's probably also a nightmare due to them putting it on so many damn platforms.

That said it sucks.

Bloodstained also got an online challenge mode when it hit 4 million. >_<

I hope IGA isn't doing the same mistake.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I know what I'm getting this February!

Mega Man Legacy Collection for the Nintendo 3DS is out on North America and Europe on Feb. 23.

I'm still going to get myself a retail version of this game but the development and communication has been pretty awful. That and Inafune keeps starting new projects.. I feel sorry for those who backed this, hopefully the game turns out good.

Kssio_Aug

Except for coop in the story mode I can't see reason to place a multiplayer in it. I don't care for competitive matches in Megaman, and I believe most people think about it the same way... their matchmaking will be probably dead days after release.

Also... the gameplay seems kind fun, but even Megaman X1 had a much better art style:
34557-Megaman_X_(Europe)-1.jpg

34558-Megaman_X_(USA)_(Rev_A)-10.jpg

Top Bottom