• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 delayed to 'Spring 2016'

Do you care about online modes in this game? Did you back this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

finalflame

Holy shit, Inafune. I made the awful decision to back this game and it ruined Kickstarters for me.

The game has always looked terrible. Just release it or cancel it at this point.

Same here. This is the only game I've ever Kickstarted. Never again.

mrmickfran

Why does he think that we give a fuck about online coop?

All I want is a godlike inti creates platformer again.

Maybe I should just buy Gunvolt instead.

I'm not pretending anything, just responding as to why MS has invested in his next game. Sony has also invested in another Armature title. The delay doesn't bother me, I've got plenty to be playing in the meantime and I look forward to this releasing as a more polished product down the line.

Your post deliberately ignores that other issues surrounding the game, by presenting the delays as the only issues, as well as the fact that this is more than just a simple delay anyway. At least two of the delays have had clear deception surrounding them. Inafune as a brand is heavily tarnished at this point, and as a project lead Mighty No. 9 makes him seem riskier than a game that "only" got delayed a couple times would. "Mismanaged" is a very appropriate word for this game, and that would be worrisome to see from any publisher putting in a big investment.

Also, why are you bringing up Armature? They may be developing ReCore, but they have literally nothing to do with Mighty No. 9.

The Taxman

Neo Member
At first I was thinking "spring 2006" as in southern hemisphere, but I'm assuming it's more like September onwards? I backed enough to receive a t-shirt and play the beta, so I think I'll cut my loss on the full game there. As Meatloaf said "Two outta three ain't bad" hah.

At first I was thinking "spring 2006" as in southern hemisphere, but I'm assuming it's more like September onwards? I backed enough to receive a t-shirt and play the beta, so I think I'll cut my loss on the full game there. As Meatloaf said "Two outta three ain't bad" hah.
No, in theory it should release around May.

Hah! This whole thing is such s train wreck!

I'm still glad I backed the Kickstarter mind, but at this point purely as a 'fuck you' to Capcom. Might sell the code when I one day get it to try and recoup my money.

TimmiT

All those people delaying their games shoud honestly stop making games, their incompetence is appaling.

I mean, delaying a game?And more than once? I don't know a single respected developer who has ever done this.

Another delay like this would be fine if A: they didn't promise that they wouldn't delay it again and B: if it wasn't for a reason as dumb as fixing the online multiplayer in a game for which nobody cares about the online multiplayer.

SilentRob

As a lot of people have pointed out in this thread none of those games were kickstarted or have any controversy surrounding their development.

I don't see why it's relevant that it was kickstarted. The development process is the same. The only difference is that people actually get a transparent view into game development and don't at all understand that delays are normal and expected in game development. Milestones are missed. Unforseen problems arise.

I understand why people are unhappy with the game in general. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm only talking about the outcry that happens pretty much every time a crowdfunded game gets delayed.

I don't see why it's relevant that it was kickstarted. The development process is the same. The only difference is that people actually get a transparent view into game development and don't at all understand that delays are normal and expected in game development. Milestones are missed. Unforseen problems arise.

You don't see the difference?

Can you lend me $1000? It's for a great cause, and you'll really like it. I'm not sure when I'll be able to deliver, though.

Hyde is not a new developer...
I know, I just said they are probably not as experienced/don't have as many games under their belt as Inti Creates. I can only find 4 games they have worked on and although they have said that they have worked on many big games but are uncredited for them, that doesn't tell me much about them.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This is why it's not wise for any Kickstarter project to add stretch goals which expands the scope of a game significantly. Even adding more people doesn't magically make development not take longer.

I understand why people are unhappy with the game in general. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm only talking about the outcry that happens pretty much every time a crowdfunded game gets delayed.

Do you know what Kickstarter is, or...

Genuinely angry. I had such faith in this dude and again, on the eve of release, delayed.

This is fucked up and I'm not going to be surprised when this is straight up cancelled.

What the hell are they doing?

duckroll

This is why it's not wise for any Kickstarter project to add stretch goals which expands the scope of a game significantly. Even adding more people doesn't magically make development not take longer.

Well, in this case it's doubly silly given that their excuse for delaying the game twice now is due to stretch goals which don't matter to the core game at all right? If they lack the resources to complete them by launch, I don't think anyone would fault them for releasing it later in a patch. It's really odd that they would continue to push the game back just for that, especially when they have a publisher and retail release behind the game too.

Hero

What a fucking shit show this is turning out to be. Regret having backed this game and will never support another Inafune project again.

Zomba13

I really do feel bad about funding this. All I wanted was a Mega Man style game because Capcom wouldn't give me it and instead I get constant delays because of "online functionality" that NO ONE WANTS.

Yukinari

Tell that to the people who backed the Yogscast game kickstarter. A lot of unforseen problems arose there too.

jacobeid

Banned
Well, in this case it's doubly silly given that their excuse for delaying the game twice now is due to stretch goals which don't matter to the core game at all right? If they lack the resources to complete them by launch, I don't think anyone would fault them for releasing it later in a patch. It's really odd that they would continue to push the game back just for that, especially when they have a publisher and retail release behind the game too.

Yeah, and that's exactly why I don't believe networking bugs are the issue.

MrBadger

Which is why I'm glad that Yooka Laylee showed restraint. After meeting all their goals, they only added stretch goals for trivial things like live music, and eventually said they'd do DLC after the game was done and out

So would y'all rather a delay, or for the game to come out broken?

Nobody would seriously give two shits if the online came out later, though. Shovel Knight's still being updated and released its multiplayer in the form of a plastic toy, but it's still a game people like. It just makes me think there are bigger problems with MN9 that they're not telling us.

As terrible as this sounds, at least I can afford the SFV collectors, along with my MMLC Gold bundle...

Man, Feb is an expensive month this year...

mclem

Regarding the poll: A&B, with a small hint of an unwritten F

(That is: I don't care about online modes, I'm okay with the delays, and the unwritten F is that I've worked on a bunch of games where, when negotiating a delay, we've latched onto one headline feature as a tool to convince the publisher when in fact we really wanted to fix a whole bunch of other things as well behind the scenes. It wouldn't hugely surprise me if that's what's happening here)

BS used to cover a more serious problem they don't want to mention. "Sorry but the dog ate my homework!"

Approximately that, in other words.

I put myself down as a B on average, therefore.

Your post deliberately ignores that other issues surrounding the game, by presenting the delays as the only issues, as well as the fact that this is more than just a simple delay anyway. At least two of the delays have had clear deception surrounding them. Inafune as a brand is heavily tarnished at this point, and as a project lead Mighty No. 9 makes him seem riskier than a game that "only" got delayed a couple times would. "Mismanaged" is a very appropriate word for this game, and that would be worrisome to see from any publisher putting in a big investment.

Also, why are you bringing up Armature? They may be developing ReCore, but they have literally nothing to do with Mighty No. 9.

I'm sorry, in future I will inject all issues surrounding a game in to my sarcasm :D I only mentioned Armature because they are indeed developing ReCore with Infaune's direction and it was relevant to my original post in terms of why MS would invest in Inafune and the team at Armature on a project. Inafune has a history of good works under his direction, even if this has turned in to a mess. Given my only brief and sarcastic original post, you really seem quite emotional about this, are you a backer? Italics and quotes.

jacobeid

Banned
They're not significantly changing it (though impressions have been favorable from what I remember reading). This delay is to fix the online mode and not to significantly change the main game.

If the recent PC demo is anything to go by, the game is *far* from good. It's far from decent. It was pretty pathetic.

Zomba13

Well the only issues according to Inafune and the gang are "online functionality" then yeah, I'd rather have it "broken". The game has apparently been done months, they said as much in the last delay email. These delays are apparently just for "online functionality" which could easily just be patched in post release.

The game wouldn't come out broken. The base game works. The online portion, which isn't all that sizeable, just wouldn't work correctly or at all.

You can easily meet in the middle here. Release the SP and all the modes that come with it, and patch in the online later. This whole KS thing has already been scarred and fucked up from the first delay, so I can't imagine it would piss people off to have the game in their hands without a measly online portion.

woopWOOP

Man, I actually kind of feel bad for Keji and the staff now. Sucks there's another delay, but obviously they're trying their hardest to have it resolved. Think I read three apologies in that statement, Keji knows they screwed up big time.

But honestly, the game isn't on my 'play right NOW' list, so they do what they want. I'll notice when the game comes out. Worst case scenario would be an end of spring release where they pulled out all the online functionalities because they just couldn't get it to work :p

Top Bottom