• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Military personnel on Xbox One; Microsoft responds

DBT85

Would be amazing, but cameras are not allowed here. Even camera phones I have to hand in at security when I go in in the morning :(

I know two soldiers in particular who are big Xbox fans since the first system, like addicted to achievements, who were seriously already starting to get mad over all the restrictions, and for whom I'm pretty sure this is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Is there nowhere nearby where you can film them?

You know, I'm going to post that 21 states thing all over anyway.

It's time for the Misinformation blitz to start. Some people will see through it but many won't. It's time to play dirty. The future of gaming is at stake.

No need to fight dirty when your competition is cutting it's own brake lines, scoring own goals and punching itself in the face. Especially when it seems to be happening all at once.

Amir0x

Banned
Is there nowhere nearby where you can film them?

I mean we used to go to bars together, and I technically still could, but I am staying away from bars due to my problem.

If I get an opportunity to get their reaction in a way that doesn't put my job in jeopardy (or my past life various addictions at trouble), I'll totally do it though

most colleges have wi fi these day i think. albeit the connection likely sucks. moving into a dorm this fall and likely buy the ps4 anyways

The only thing that's probably anti dorm room is probably the Kinect, it'll take up valuable space but students shouldn't have a hard time connecting to the internet.
Many colleges don't allow you to connect your console to the internet. :/

And good luck relying on the connection during study hours.

Nyeva

Neo Member
Major Nelson's response just shows how out of touch he is with the military. Like its been said, military personnel have their own personal Internet connection.
I'm not surprised by this backlash from the military. I'm stationed in South Korea and for the past couple of days I've been hearing a lot of chatter regarding the next gen consoles. Considering the amount of people in the military that own an 360 exclusively and a lot of so called dude bros, whom aren't supposed to care about drm issues, I haven't heard one person say they are going to buy an Xbox One. NOT ONE. Majority of them are going to PS4 and a couple to pc.

KidBeta

What? I've never heard of such a thing. Glad my university doesn't do that, they'll even help you set it up if your having trouble.

Some colleges would probably even block the ports it uses to check games and refuse to unblock them.

I know for a while I had to use a VPN to play Diablo 3 at uni because the ports were blocked.

mboojigga

You shouldn't need a VPN for something like this. There's times where we, being deployed, don't have access to the internet. A VPN doesn't solve the issue of the system locking you out after 24 hours. Tell me how I'm supposed to get a VPN workign out in the middle of nowhere, Afghanistan.

If you can't see how that isn't a problem, I have no idea what to tell you.

Live needs an internet connection. For example if you have a US Live account you can connect to the internet and still check in. You just can't make any purchases with USD money, connect to Hulu, HBO Go or Netflix. That is what I meant by VPN and if you don't have internet yes we as military members are shit out of luck. People with Steam are in the same boat. Just won't be taking my Xbox One with me if I know the location doesn't even have internet for personal use. Not the end of the world for me personally. As I stated I am Active Duty Air Force. Been deployed 8 times in the region.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The only thing that comes to mind recently was the prince of Persia showing he said would be at the MS Confernece. He may have mistook the opening of the new halo teaser as a new PoP game. It's a long shot I know but if he's an insider, maybe he only got to see the start of the trailer and that was it.

Said that ME2 would be at the MS conference, but it was at EA's instead. Also I don't think the "APC" rumor has really come to fruition.

Cheech

MS really needs to fire its PR team and take some long, in-depth meetings where everyone gets on the same page.

Above all else that has happened this super crazy E3 week - easily the most insane since the very first E3 - this is my personal takeaway from the whole thing.

They just keep shooting themselves over and over, and they just need to go on PR blackout until they retool their strategy. Major Nelson's comment about DoD networks was the last straw. I listened to his podcast for years, if I tallied the amount spent on Xbox since 2002 nobody would believe it. Loved me some Xbox. That streak is over.

I had both consoles preordered "just in case" they reverse course, but I'm past the point of caring. It is clear that based on his comment, Larry has the same disregard for his customers as the rest of Microsoft, which is extremely disappointing to me.

The fact that Microsoft is screwing their military customers isn't the worst part, it is how malevolently clueless they are with their responses. I don't know if the entire Xbox executive team was fed magic mushrooms at E3, but I sit here embarrassed by the amount of money I spent with them over the years that has quite clearly been taken for granted.

So, they can stick their Xbox One Day One edition up their Day One asses. I suppose I should dust off my PS3 and get used to that controller again.

But but but guiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise. My internet works fine so I don't see what the big fuse is about the 24h online requirement.

Are you not reading the forums? I'm pretty sure there are pages and pages explaining the big fuss. Maybe a little disrespectful posting this in a thread about Microsoft slighting military members.

....Seriously? Dude was being sarcastic.

Yea, my bad weekend_warrior, I was responding from my phone on the run and didn't see the italics, sorry!

I deployed for 17 straight months to Afghanistan, and xbox was a huge lift to my moral. It helped me zone out and balance things out mentally.

mboojigga

Unless this is just due to the current Microsoft PR clusterfuck and they clarify their policies later, games also have to be activated in the system in their country of origin according to the OP. So people in overseas garrisons won't be able to install new games without physically returning the system to the US first. Unless the VPN solution works, of course.

You only have to activate your account once for the US. When that is done any game can be activated for your console regardless of what internet connection you have.

Storm360

From Major Nelson:

"Regarding military personnel playing consoles: PS3/PS4 isn't allowed on DoD networks so they're not worried that military members will switch to PS while on overseas deployment."

Not sure if posting links to reddit is allowed, but here it is...sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1ga78h/i_just_talked_to_xboxs_major_nelson_at_e3_and/

It doesn't seem like Major Nelson understands the issue. We already know we can't connect those to a DoD network. We don't have to connect our PS3/PS4 console online at all is the main sticking point.

That's a completely stupid opinion from Major Nelson then, Surely he knows that soldiers use consoles offline for single player/local mp?

Whatever happened to the Microsoft that shipped the Halo 3 Alpha to soldiers serving....

I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan and I can attest as to how hard it can be to have a decent internet connection, or a connection at all. I will not think twice about getting a PS4 instead of a X1 to play my games and unwind.

Sorry for OT, but seriously dude, thank you

Xena

I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan and I can attest as to how hard it can be to have a decent internet connection, or a connection at all. I will not think twice about getting a PS4 instead of a X1 to play my games and unwind.

linkboy

You only have to activate your account once for the US. When that is done any game can be activated for your console regardless of what internet connection you have.

How would a US service member stationed in Japan (a country where Xbox One won't work at launch) activate his (or her) console that was purchased at their base exchange using their personal internet that has a Japanese IP?

jaaz

Thanks for your service!

Salaadin

I love this bit:
I've been in touch with Major Nelson and he made it clear that he didn't understand that the information he gave me was going to be passed along to others.

You have a conversation with someone and then expect them to walk away and never tell anyone else?

Thank you.

Dipswitch

This is something MS knew was going to be an issue and decided to roll the dice anyway. It's obviously a non starter for deployed military and will likely be a non starter for friends and family members of those people, who won't buy it on principle.

I've said it in other threads, but all MS needs to do to fix this is make the mandatory addition of titles to your library optional instead. In that scenario, the disk check is still needed if the disk is ripped to the hard drive, but the 24 hr online check is not. And you can do as you wish with the disk.

If you decide to add the games to your library, that's when the DRM policies kick in, as well as the fringe benefit of being able to share the game with those 10 other people.

Once you give people a choice, you have a much greater chance of them voluntarily choosing to give the online option a shot. Forcing it down peoples throats is a bad, bad approach to take.

mboojigga

How would a US service member stationed in Japan (a country where Xbox One won't work at launch) activate his (or her) console that was purchased at their base exchange using their personal internet that has a Japanese IP?

That is where VPN comes in or do you not understand how VPN works? Today if I am stationed at Yakota and I purchase a 360 from AAFES I would need to get a VPN to connect to Califorrnia to get a US IP address. That is the same process for the One. Not see what the issue is in that regard. I VPN all the time when I am deployed at Al Udeid or Al Dhafra. This is what everyone has to do outside of the US in the first place with the 360. This is no different except it requires internet.

Indeed. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to throw this callous shit in Microsoft's face. I'm actually pissed for once. Hell. Getting them PS+ accounts. Something. I want ideas.
Maybe try and get as many testimonies from troops (gaffers too of course) about how it (being unable to use an Xbone) will be a negative thing for them, and how much of a release gaming gives them. I don't know how you'd put the question out there though, maybe if you knew someone in the military.

Then someohow tie in how a PS4 would be a great alternative for those same troops. Send it off to whoever you can: press, DoD (surely they'd appreciate the morale boost something recreational like gaming can give to their deployed people), etc. Maybe even microsoft, although it is doubtful they will care.

This way it doesn't require raising funds, just telling it how it is. Let the word of mouth take care of itself and hopefully lead to some kind of response.

This may be really misguided but it's something :/

Kanye West: "Microsoft doesn't care about black, I mean, military people."

I know its such a small portion of the pie, but I can't even describe how many 360's I saw vets buying from PX's in Afghanistan. I've already had to let a few deployed Active Duty buddies know not to preorder it. This is sad.

Live needs an internet connection. For example if you have a US Live account you can connect to the internet and still check in. You just can't make any purchases with USD money, connect to Hulu, HBO Go or Netflix. That is what I meant by VPN and if you don't have internet yes we as military members are shit out of luck. People with Steam are in the same boat. Just won't be taking my Xbox One with me if I know the location doesn't even have internet for personal use. Not the end of the world for me personally. As I stated I am Active Duty Air Force. Been deployed 8 times in the region.

Air Force usually has a totally different standard of living compared to the rest of us shlubs on the ground in the Army or Marines. My first 6 months in Bosnia we ate MRE's, had to burn our own shit, and used old school gravity showers. Bringing in the internet would have been like creating time travel. We were always very jealous of the Air Force. They seemed to have the best shit, and the hottest chicks.

DBT85

I've said it in other threads, but all MS needs to do to fix this is make the mandatory addition of titles to your library optional instead. In that scenario, the disk check is still needed if the disk is ripped to the hard drive, but the 24 hr online check is not. And you can do as you wish with the disk.

If you decide to add the games to your library, that's when the DRM policies kick in, as well as the fringe benefit of being able to share the game with those 10 other people.

Once you give people a choice, you have a much greater chance of them voluntarily choosing to give the online option a shot. Forcing it down peoples throats is a bad, bad approach to take.

They won't go for that. I could install and verify the disk online , allowing me to play disk free, and then give you the game which you could then play with the disk in as verification. So 2 people playing with 1 disk. And because it would be in my digital catalogue, someone else can play it too!

mboojigga

Air Force usually has a totally different standard of living compared to the rest of us shlubs on the ground in the Army or Marines. My first 6 months in Bosnia we ate MRE's, had to burn our own shit, and used old school gravity showers. Bringing in the internet would have been like creating time travel. We were always very jealous of the Air Force. They seemed to have the best shit, and the hottest chicks.

As an Air Force member of 15 years, I have been through all of that. I am a network admin and one of my deployments was after 9/11 when we deployed to Qatar on Thanksgiving right before the war kicked off in 03. We were living in tent city. I was a working for Security Forces and I had a tent set up with 20 computers for them to log in and keep in touch with home and had lan parties with Halo and watching Season 1 24 Jack Baur marathons

lol even here at malmstrom (here in the good ol approved for play USA) people are talking mad shit about this thing. the brand name is basically disease at this point.

WAT

Please tell me this is some kind of hard core army slang I don't understand.

No, it's literal. Pull the bucket out from the outhouse, dump it all into a pile, pour diesel on it and set it on fire. You then have to stir it to make sure you burn it all. Nothing like shit burning detail, as you always knew they were serving corn for lunch. Jarhead nailed it. That movie was pretty accurate. Especially with the "Wall of Shame". The whole girlfriend/wife thing was right on the money. Sad, but true.

Yes Boss!

WAT

Please tell me this is some kind of hard core army slang I don't understand.

Huh,

Yeah, pour JP8 diesel on a bunch if shit and urine and clear it.

Not much to misunderstand. Gotta get rid of that human waste and burning it is safest. I was a medic, so it was my job.

Thankfully we dealt with wag-bags.

spannicus

Huh,

Yeah, pour JP8 diesel on a bunch if shit and urine and clear it.

Not much to misunderstand. Gotta get rid of that human waste and burning it is safest. I was a medic, so it was my job.

Thankfully we dealt with wag-bags.

Dat JP8 and dat Mogas lol 92 Fox we dont pump fuel lol

Gabe3208

Banned
As an Air Force member of 15 years, I have been through all of that. I am a network admin and one of my deployments was after 9/11 when we deployed to Qatar on Thanksgiving right before the war kicked off in 03. We were living in tent city. I was a working for Security Forces and I had a tent set up with 20 computers for them to log in and keep in touch with home and had lan parties with Halo and watching Season 1 24 Jack Baur marathons

Lol, Qatar is where I spent my R&R when I was in Iraq in '07. We were allowed to have only 2 beers a night, had to have a ticket to get them too. Just brought back memories XD

Chinner

Banned

no they're not? don't spread misinformation.

untitled-3gvb11.gif

Offline, small, lightweight, no large required accessories, no powerbrick.

Sony should just donate a ton to the military.

Exactly, and milk the shit out of the free press.

Top Bottom