• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Military personnel on Xbox One; Microsoft responds

Ponn

Banned
The dudes overseas are probably like oh well fuck it and more worried about getting back home than xboxlive. Ps4 will be the console of choice simple. I think this whole thing is getting crazy just a lil bit. Microsoft doesn't really owe the military anything, they're a corporation trying to make money based off a set business plan. Microsoft isnt gonna switch it up because service members cant play online. Sure its bad press but these days people don't view the armed forces with such high regard anymore at least thats how I feel. The policies suck ass but I dont see them changing up their gameplan for a percentage of people who may or may not purchase the console in the first place. P.s im an optomist hehe.

They don't have the numbers of PS2, or even Wii nor mindshare either had coming out of their respective gens yet are cutting off their nose, ears and hands for....what?

mboojigga

Sea going ships sometimes spend 9 months of every year underway. Should I stay busy with work for 3/4 of my year because I chose XBO?

This doesn't need to be a debate. Don't buy it. It is that simple. Your situation your decisions are obvious. I am military and not in your situation except for 6 months on average for my deployments. I spent my time in college, Cleps and working out without video games for my free time. Video games can wait until I am in the confort of my home. I look at it the same as missing my shows and actual commercials if I have no Internet at locations I have been.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Are you saying that every single person is losing their minds online about this.. because they are personally impacted. That's bullshit.

Some are beyond pissed and they're directly affected. Some are mad on principle. They see this as wrong and even tho it doesn't impact them, they think they should say something about it. Most are mad because it's cool to be mad and this is an internet fuck show. Drama, that's fun to be involved with. Why else are people mass LOLing? It's theater. Some never liked MS and never would have bought it anyway and it's fun to kick Ms when they're down. I'm not speaking for myself, I'm saying this is how it really is.
hUJ0cx2.jpg

No, people are angry for completely legitimate reasons that have been discussed over and over. On top of that, Microsoft keeps shooting themselves in the foot almost on a daily basis with arrogant comments and disregard for consumers. I loved 360 well over the PS3. It affects me that one of my favorite FPS series is going to be continued on a console that will lock it into place. I will no longer be able to own any Halo from Halo 5 and onwards. I can't speak for everyone here, but if Microsoft were to scrap the DRM and online policies, I would support them in a heartbeat.

watership

M$ Is to rich to be down. Come to think of it, we should probably kick even harder.
Maybe you have a point but also consider the other side: what if people's fears are true. Let's say you spend 500,- on this and MS AGAIN sells your information to other companies but not only that, they did it while NOT UPDATING their EULA, so you have not agreed with it. So people are now no longer trusting their Kinect, they won't get a refund and are stuck with a large heavy box that they are afraid to plug in. That's only one example of why people feel the need to brace themselves for this thing. And before you say that won't happen i say PRISM.

That's ... that's not even logical reasoning. Does people really think like this?

BigDug13

This doesn't need to be a debate. Don't buy it. It is that simple. Your situation your decisions are obvious. I am military and not in your situation except for 6 months on average for my deployments. I spent my time in college, Cleps and working out without video games for my free time. Video games can wait until I am in the confort of my home. I look at it the same as missing my shows and actual commercials if I have no Internet at locations I have been.

You're coming across really strangely. You're on a video game message board lecturing me about how to spend my time on deployment not gaming, as if that's a valid defense for Microsoft's policies having a negative impact on military members. I'm not buying it as are most of the rest of the military.

spannicus

They don't have the numbers of PS2, or even Wii nor mindshare either had coming out of their respective gens yet are cutting off their nose, ears and hands for....what?

Obviously they have a plan and knew it would create backlash but do they seem to care? Not at all Microsoft has bigger plans and im sure we dont know 100 percent what they're up to. Its a conspiracy lol

mboojigga

I...I just can't understand how any active duty member would defend these policies. I really can't.

So because I am military I just need to fall in line because a majority believe this or that. Majority of people here on GAF don't even have all the facts and so busy making one liners. Again my deployments over the last 6 have been with Internet and if I was to take my Xbox One on those same deployments in those same locations I would t have issues. I completely understand your situation on a ship. If they change the policy they change it cool don't support it. But I am not any less of a military member because I am purchasing a Xbox One and PS4. I have 15 years under me and proud to serve.

Toparaman

Banned
That so many people care about this makes the "consoles are dead" articles from a few months ago seem more ridiculous than ever.

mboojigga

You're coming across really strangely. You're on a video game message board lecturing me about how to spend my time on deployment not gaming, as if that's a valid defense for Microsoft's policies having a negative impact on military members. I'm not buying it as are most of the rest of the military.

What? How does me talking about what I do on my deployments is me lecturing you how to be on YOUR deployment?

Ponn

Banned
Obviously they have a plan and knew it would create backlash but do they seem to care? Not at all Microsoft has bigger plans and im sure we dont know 100 percent what they're up to. Its a conspiracy lol

No, it's not a conspiracy, unless you want to call their not so subtle agenda of trying to control everything in your living room, media and daily computing a conspiracy. It's just plain and simple greed that we see everyday from shortsighted businesses making dumb ass choices that destroy their long term for perceived short term gains. The majority of these businesses, publishers and developers think piracy and the resell market is what is causing their games not to sell and taking away sales in a one to one ratio. None of them can be convinced otherwise and critical thinking and common sense is thrown out the window. They 100 percent believe they will retain their consumers but increase sales by closing off their system and controlling the ecosystem. It's really just that simple.

Roland1979

That's ... that's not even logical reasoning. Does people really think like this?
The best prediction for the future is the past. And MS has shown it cannot be trusted. It has even defied the US constitution. PRISM, selling very personal information to companies.
Open your eyes. You can call me a tinfoil, i never said it will happen. I just say the fact that it CAN happen and MS cannot be trusted is what is the worrying part. The people jumping to the defense of HUGE corporations with armies of lawyers. And again, Kinect always on is just one problem people have with this contraption.

Chris FOM

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about military culture (I'm an expert), but deployment and lack of internet are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by always being forced to check in. If you isolate someone over in the military, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the military personnel, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase an Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel your online requirement or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Pikma

Banned

I don't know how much the rest of you know about military culture (I'm an expert), but deployment and lack of internet are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by always being forced to check in. If you isolate someone over in the military, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the military personnel, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase an Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel your online requirement or you can kiss your business goodbye.
8/10 looks appealing.

Zaventem

lol I haven't seen this is a long time but it actually doesn't look like an overreaction compared to the original.

Is this seriously news to someone? Are people that unaware of what being on a military deployment is like? I mean even straight out of high school I had a sort of an idea what I was getting myself into based on movies, television, and books.

I knew there was like, pushups & stuff, but Snake Eyes never had to burn his poo once on GI Joe.

watership

The best prediction for the future is the past. And MS has shown it cannot be trusted. It has even defied the US constitution. PRISM, selling very personal information to companies.
Open your eyes. You can call me a tinfoil, i never said it will happen. I just say the fact that it CAN happen and MS cannot be trusted is what is the worrying part. The people jumping to the defense of HUGE corporations with armies of lawyers. And again, Kinect always on is just one problem people have with this contraption.

People have been screaming "Evil Corporation! Evil!" at Microsoft, while cheering another corporation, Sony, as the savior of gaming. Does that not ring odd to people? Sony, the Pioneer the root kit in music CDs. If your going to hate on corporations, be consistent. Microsoft wants your business. Sony wants your business. There are passionate, game loving people at both companies. There are soulless suits, at both companies.

People have been screaming "Evil Corporation! Evil!" at Microsoft, while another corporation, Sony, as the savior of gaming. Does that not ring odd to people? Sony, the Pioneer the root kit in music CDs. If your going to hate on corporations, be consistent.

I think most people don't have any illusions what Sony is all about. They were the genesis of the DRM push in the not too distant past. For Sony, it's purely a business decision, and it's one that most of the gaming community agrees with at this moment. That's what the free market is all about. I'm sure in the next console iteration they'll be the monsters under the bed.

watership

I think most people don't have any illusions what Sony is all about. They were the genesis of the DRM push in the not too distant past. For Sony, it's purely a business decision, and it's one what most of the gaming community agrees with. That's what the free market is all about.

This is it exactly. Pretty smart. The only problem is, that the people who care about those things, are a small portion of the gaming buying public. Sony and MS are both taking a risk.

People have been screaming "Evil Corporation! Evil!" at Microsoft, while cheering another corporation, Sony, as the savior of gaming. Does that not ring odd to people? Sony, the Pioneer the root kit in music CDs. If your going to hate on corporations, be consistent. Microsoft wants your business. Sony wants your business. There are passionate, game loving people at both companies. There are soulless suits, at both companies.

And who are these people? Be specific. Or are you just creating strawmen to knock down with your extraordinary arguments? We're discussing the current situation regarding next gen drm, not Sony's shit from years ago. Way I see it, you're just trying to dismiss valid arguments against MS by pointing out flaws in another company.

Just out of curiosity, out of all the countries that US/UK/Australian/etc troops would be deployed to in one way or another, how many of these countries are even going to allow for the Xbone to be played before the end of 2014 at the earliest?

coldfoot

Banned
I'm sure this has been posted before in another form, but this is how they should do it.

Have a window pop up when you insert the game:

"Do you want to bind this game digitally to this account"

If Yes: You will be able to use the game without the disk. You will not be able to sell the game until you unbind it to your account. You will have to connect to the internet every 24 hours to ping our servers. You will be able to share this game with 10 of your friend or family. You will be able to give this game to someone on your friends list, as a gift, one time.

if No: You must keep the disk in the drive. If you lose this disk you will not be able to play this game. You will not be able to digitally share this game with your 10 family lists. You will not be able to gift this game to your friends.

That'll fix SO MANY concerns. And I bet the vast majority would pick Yes.
What's stopping someone from selling/giving to disc to someone else after they've bound it to their account? Person B would just keep the disc and not go online.

Nekofrog

Banned
I never said you could. Unfortunately you are out of luck. I am fully aware it depends on location but it isn't the case for all military me ere deployed or stationed overseas. I already stated if I can't connect my Xbox One to the Internet I will survive. I will wait until I get home. I am too busy doing the job I was sent for in the first place. Some people have a lot of free time but every works hard for the mission whatever their AFSC is.

That's some nonner talk.

Garcia

Nevermind all the countries that we already knew wouldn't have respectable access to the internet.

Please step aside.

The military needs its gaming fix folks.

It's hilarious to witness how all of a sudden this is now a BIG problem since it's the US military speaking. I totally know what you mean.

Booshka

Imagine how much shit someone would get if they brought an Xbox One with them for their deployment. Everyone would just look at them and laugh.

BigDug13

It's hilarious to witness how all of a sudden this is now a BIG problem since it's the US military speaking. I totally know what you mean.

It's the American console with American TV functions with special relationships with American publishers for exclusive content who's releasing in a small number of western countries with America being its primary target. And it's the only one with zero support for the American military (or any military in general).

I agree that it's also bullshit that they're not releasing in a bunch of countries that want to buy it. But surely you can understand why this is a big deal specifically, right?

soapOD

This. Seems like more people in this conversation are more interested in "showing Microsoft a lesson" than people who genuinely care about the way policies affect people around the world. But, hey, I guess "don't you care about the troops!?" is an easy weapon to use.

antitrop

If I was still I was still in the Corps I would order my boots to get a PS4.

I'm only kidding. But not really. It's a financially wise choice, and as a fire team leader you are in charge of making sure your dumbass fresh Marines don't go broke the first weekend they get to the Fleet.

Every time, fresh out of School of Infantry they buy a big screen, surround sound, 2 video game consoles, hookers, tons of booze, strip clubs, 20 video games, 50 movies. Because they have all this money saved up for the first time after boot camp and SOI and have been miserable for the last 6 months and have all this freedom with Liberty in the Fleet. Spending all that money is a sweet release.

watership

What's stopping someone from selling/giving to disc to someone else after they've bound it to their account? Person B would just keep the disc and not go online.

It's a real issue. Actually MS should do this. No online checks/resale restrictions for disk games. They cost 70 dollars. Online checks for digital downloaded games. They cost 50 dollars.

I'd be okay with that.

jediyoshi

Some are beyond pissed and they're directly affected. Some are mad on principle. They see this as wrong and even tho it doesn't impact them, they think they should say something about it. Most are mad because it's cool to be mad and this is an internet fuck show. Drama, that's fun to be involved with. Why else are people mass LOLing? It's theater. Some never liked MS and never would have bought it anyway and it's fun to kick Ms when they're down. I'm not speaking for myself, I'm saying this is how it really is.

Isn't the entire pretense for this thread that the Xbox is already the major console used from the troops. Are you actually under the impression this is a non-issue and wouldn't be thread worthy if it were regarding the PS4? Nothing seems to matter beyond that.

I am a deployed contractor (9th deployment in last 7 years). Most of the time I have decent internet, but their have been a few times when I am on the side of a mountain with a team, and the internet is used sparingly. We would still play Black Ops on our 360's connected via a LAN. Anywho, now I am on a big base with a real nice PX and MWR (as you will see in the video).... I shot this video today just to hopefully show Microsoft that they need to change their 24 hour check to a longer timespan.... Yes, they have a ton of 360's that they sell there, and they usually sell that big ol stock of them out in about a month.

Video - http://youtu.be/flzbsKzKGvU

IMG_2617%20copy.jpg

Yup, MSFT has done fucked up.

We have one of those "MWR gaming rooms" in the Sand Box in Abu Dhabi. Most used system in there is the 360.

spannicus

tumblr_m6goodYbnC1qlr7ydo1_400.gif

Making room for that wreck of a system.

More money for sony and Nintendo. As long as the 360 still works online service members can still get their fix. If any choose to buy xbox 1 they will when they come home. Just like some people here on gaf dont care about the restrictions there will be service members who also do not care. I think this is just a way to gain more support towards the cause of rebelling against Microsofts new bs policies. I 100 % do not agree with them but this is getting out of hand. The soldiers are not the only people they do not care about. Microsoft doesnt care about anyone. Billion dollar gates does what he pleases. All this drama is making Sony suits richer at the end of the day. Lifes too short to be worrying about what a bunch of rich assholes decide to do with their products. It affects us as consumers because we may miss out on a gaming experience but hey life goes on and there are millions of games elswhere to enjoy.

DEADEVIL

The claim that MS somehow alienated ALL members of the military whether they are deployed or not is 100% false.

The military member in the Gamasutra article may be speaking from his personal perspective based on the locations and conditions he personally deployed under, but he is clearly oblivious to the conditions of the other deployed locations around the world.

There was a time earlier in this gen where he may have been more accurate is his depictions of military deployed locations. But, he's way off in 2013.

There will be a huge portion of military members and family & friends of miltiary members from different branches of services that can attest to the that the internet, Wifi are easily accessible at even some of the most remote deployed locations.

Not only are members skyping their spouses and kids right from their laptops, many are on Xbox Live and PSN as well.

Some locations have tents or building set up for troops so they specifically can play over Xbox Live through the Wifi when the newer 360s came out. Alot of guys got smart and bought those memory cards to carry their profiles with them, others go through the trouble of downloading their profile.

Yup, MSFT has done fucked up.

We have one of those "MWR gaming rooms" in the Sand Box in Abu Dhabi. Most used system in there is the 360.

How did they f-up? When the same 'MWR gaming rooms (just like what I was mentioning above)can still have Xbox Ones and PS4s set up instead?

What is even crazier about Xbox One (if MS really goes through with this) is in those locations that have these particuliar Wifi set-ups. If I understand the policy correctly, it's actually going to be easier for troops to play their games as you can just log on with your profile on the deployed location Xbox One and access all of the games in their library without having to pack all of their games.

But, like I said all deployed locations are not the same, some are very restrictive when it comes to internet access or have very weak Wifi.

This isn't even close to being a military issue, it is more an issue that there are simply situations where people won't be able to access the interent.

Although, MS is laying it all out there and throwing shoutouts to the 360 as an alternative, I'm hoping that they come up with a better solution prior to launch.

Worst thing is even if you did have stable internet in Abu Dhabi you still couldn't play any games since the region isn't supported.

False. You can at the deployment locations.

BigDug13

The claim that MS somehow alienated ALL members of the military whether they are deployed or not is 100% false.

The military member in the Gamasutra article may be speaking from his personal perspective based on the locations and conditions he personally deployed under, but he is clearly oblivious to the conditions of the other deployed locations around the world.

There was a time earlier in this gen where he may have been more accurate is his depictions of military deployed locations. But, he's way off in 2013.

There will be a huge portion of military members and family & friends of miltiary members from different branches of services that can attest to the that the internet, Wifi are easily accessible at even some of the most remote deployed locations.

Not only are members skyping their spouses and kids right from their laptops, many are on Xbox Live and PSN as well.

Some locations have tents or building set up for troops so they specifically can play over Xbox Live through the Wifi when the newer 360s came out. Alot of guys got smart and bought those memory cards to carry their profiles with them, others go through the trouble of downloading their profile.

How did they f-up? When the same 'MWR gaminmg rooms can still have Xbox Ones and PS4s set up instead?

What is even crazier about Xbox One (if MS really goes through with this) is in those locations that have these particuliar Wifi set-ups. If I understand the policy correctly, it's actually going to be easier for troops to play their games as you can just log on with your profile on the deployed location Xbox One and access all of the games in their library without having to pack all of their games.

But, like I said all deployed locations are not the same, some are very restrictive when it comes to internet access or have very weak Wifi.

This isn't even close to being a military issue, it is more an issue that there are simply situations where people won't be able to access the interent.

Although, MS is laying it all out there and throwing shoutouts to the 360 as an alternative, I'm hoping that they come up with a better solution prior to launch.

US Navy ships offer no such thing as personal internet while onboard ship. That is over 300,000 people right there.

This doesn't count the multitudes of sailors from other countries as well.

We're not all able to get to the "internet tent".

This was what I was thinking first when they mentioned "always online". Most people don't know this but there is a HUGE videogame population in our nations military.

It was big back when I was in, and is stronger now. Gotta love that morale tent in Bagram '03. edit(that had no Internet)

Alienating our deployed brothers and sisters in arms by forcing always online will effectively make that console useless to them.

How did they f-up? When the same 'MWR gaming rooms (just like what I was mentioning above)can still have Xbox Ones and PS4s set up instead?

image.php

This is pretty much the best way to explain how utterly apologetic and asinine what you said is.

There are clearly many service members who aren't able to get reliable connections unless you'd like to personally dispute the numerous first hand accounts from various service members.

kuroshiki

You are totally misunderstanding the point. constant internet connection is not an issue here. It is that it requires 24 hour check in otherwise you can't play game policy that's fucked up and will affect military.

Also, families often send games to the stationed bases. How the hell are they going to play Xbone game that can't be activated?

Top Bottom