• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Military personnel on Xbox One; Microsoft responds

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It won't. I keep telling you guys this. Microsoft is white-hot right now, and they're going to steamroll this holiday season, whether we hate their machine or not.

Always-on Kinect + NSA scandal + Knowledge that Microsoft was the first to get involved = HELL NO!

Colby

I never thought about the Kinect hearing sensitive material aboard a military ship. That could be a huge problem.

Now that MS is pretty much done for, can we expect a better competitor to join the industry? If Google or Valve joined I'd be supporting them.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but they are certainly teetering on the edge. They can still come back from it tho, Sony did after $599 and the PSN outage/hack.

And let's not forget MS were able to come back from the whole RRoD clusterfuck. Will be interesting where they go from here, it's certainly going to be easy now that the military has spoken out so publicly.

androvsky

says right here they will have a workaround for them to play so long as game is activated once and no subsequent 24 hour check, they are just not giving details

Is that actually a workaround, or the PR person assuming there will be internet available for the daily check-in? She already said she can't speculate on workarounds.

It won't. I keep telling you guys this. Microsoft is white-hot right now, and they're going to steamroll this holiday season, whether we hate their machine or not.

Not exactly. Sure they will sell out at start. But Sony will sell more and widen the gap once 2014 holiday season kicks in. What will be the ultimate downfall of the XBone is not all these restrictive policies, but the fact that they have less powerful hardware at +$100 in comparison with the PS4. That will be revealed eventually in tech comparisons.

CHC

Business wise this is probably not a big deal to Microsoft - less than 100,000 sales most likely. PR wise, though, it's just another disaster...

family-guy-good-good-o.gif

Jomjom

Banned
Sony has a golden opportunity to promote the PS4 by sending a bunch of them to military across the world, especially to the countries that aren't supported at Xbone's launch.

Mung

MS are still in the denial phase. Negotiation next. Acceptance and sackings come much later.

I am loving their unwarranted arrogance biting them in the ass.

Thorakai

The absolute dumbest mistake you can ever make designing an American box is forgetting our troops. There really is no amount of spin that can make people forget about such restrictions here in the states, all you need is for the media and/or Sony to get the ball rolling against Microsoft before the anti-troop mentality catches on.

Proelite

Not to defend Microsoft, but the military will not be able to play a lot of games on the PS4 either due the industry wide move to online only contents and dedicated servers. Across the board the military WILL be getting a worse experience than last generation.

Carl

says right here they will have a workaround for them to play so long as game is activated once and no subsequent 24 hour check, they are just not giving details

Yes, i'm sure they have a different OS especially for the military.

They're just assuming there'll be an internet connection in wherever the guys end up

jtb

Banned
Daaamn. It's a testament to

1. how bad Microsoft has truly screwed up this thing, and
2. what balls Maddow has

when you consider the first two letters of her employer's name.

MSNBC has nothing to do with Microsoft, I think they sold their stake years ago. and even if they hadn't, editorial freedom.

Speevy

Banned
Microsoft survived a scandal of broken consoles to become #1 in the US and selling the lion's share of software.

Tell me what Sony has done between then and now to make this any different.

Interfectum

You are reading it wrong. Once the game game has been activited in an authorized country, you can then play it anywhere you want without fear of getting shut down. You still have to do the 24 hour check.

RobbieH

She's talking about the 21 country thing. If the game has been activated in one of those countries first they can be played elsewhere (I think? PR and support haven't explained this at all well). The 24 hour check still stands.

Sony has a golden opportunity to promote the PS4 by sending a bunch of them to military across the world, especially to the countries that aren't supported at Xbone's launch.

Ps4 plays COD too. Isn't that only what gamers play these days anyway? :)

Eric C

“Military personnel will be able to take their Xbox One and play their games with them without an issue as long as the game has been ‘activated’ once in the U.S. Your games go with you and play, no issues,” she says.
Yeah, but they'll still need the internet for the 24 hour check in. Nowhere in this quote says they won't still need the internet for the 24 hour DRM.

But I guess this quote does confirm the IP locks for registering games. Get your VPNs ready, everybody in an unsupported country.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Activated in the US, which means people can't send them games.

netBuff

That says nothing about online checks - this only tells people that, once a game was activated on an US account, it can be played even when the Xbone is located in other countries.

So online checks will still be necessary - there just won't be additional regional checks.

Zaph

untitled-3gvb11.gif

Offline, small, lightweight, no large required accessories, no powerbrick.

Sony should just donate a ton to the military.

bbalde

This doesn't only concern Military. Already said in another thread I work alot in 3rd world countries specially in Africa... 24hrs check-in is a NO GO, and I don't do online gaming, a mere 6hrs in total out of 5 years with my xbox360. Hopefully there are other choices, competition is good. I'm already certain to pick a PS4 as a main next gen platform.

Sorry Microsoft, I love Africa and I have no intention to leave the continent anytime soon... I'll have to pass...

krae_man

I think that just means as long as the initial activation happens in the US, the "phone home ping every 24 hours" can happen anywhere in the world.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This is pretty much a hit straight to the jugular for Microsoft. This can't be good PR.

2. what balls Maddow has

I'm sorry, I just have to point out that's it's already funny to say that a woman "has balls", but saying that a lesbian "has balls" just cracks me up. Whose balls does she have??

Microsoft's, I guess.

Top Bottom