• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Military personnel on Xbox One; Microsoft responds

YEAR OF THE PS3 PS4

VZUc4q8.png

thumb

Banned
The absolute dumbest mistake you can ever make designing an American box is forgetting our troops. There really is no amount of spin that can make people forget about such restrictions here in the states, all you need is for the media and/or Sony to get the ball rolling against Microsoft before the anti-troop mentality catches on.

I suspect you may be right. And while it's interesting to watch a PR case study in the making, I'm really hoping that Microsoft just reverses course on these decisions.

Curufinwe

Microsoft survived a scandal of broken consoles to become #1 in the US and selling the lion's share of software.

Tell me what Sony has done between then and now to make this any different.

The 360 was $200 cheaper than the PS3. Now the PS4 is $100 cheaper than the Xbone.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
from what those members described, PS4 would be perfect for them, its region free, so they could go to any game store abroad and purchase their games. No online restrictions etc.

ultron87

Yeowch. That wasn't a well planned response. Or strategy in general, if they really don't have some plan for such situations.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It won't. I keep telling you guys this. Microsoft is white-hot right now, and they're going to steamroll this holiday season, whether we hate their machine or not.

What wildly successful product has Microsoft had since Windows 7? I guess Kinect did quite well, but anything else?

Interfectum

Microsoft survived a scandal of broken consoles to become #1 in the US and selling the lion's share of software.

Going by initial pre-orders across all retailers? A lot obviously.

gaming_noob

I don't know if I'd go that far, but they are certainly teetering on the edge. They can still come back from it tho, Sony did after $599 and the PSN outage/hack.

And let's not forget MS were able to come back from the whole RRoD clusterfuck. Will be interesting where they go from here, it's certainly going to be easy now that the military has spoken out so publicly.

This time it's a little different. Xbox One does not have the benefit of having comparable hardware like 360 against PS3. For PS3's $599 issue, they introduced the blu-ray format that outperformed most standalones back in the day. Even if Xbox One strips all of their "anti-consumer" features we're still left with a piece of hardware with significantly lower specs and it being more expensive than PS4. The 360 also released 1 full year ahead of the PS3 which meant it had a lot more exclusives and a larger userbase to play against compared to the first 2-3 years of PS3's lifespan.

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't read this entire thread yet so I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but didn't MS said they were looking into ways to have special Xbox One systems specifically for military members that dont require the online check?

Speevy

Banned
What wildly successful product has Microsoft had since Windows 7? I guess Kinect did quite well, but anything else?

I'm talking about the Xbox brand when I refer to Microsoft.

Their console is what's driving the console industry right now.

dab0ne

I suspect you may be right. And while it's interesting to watch a PR case study in the making, I'm really hoping the Microsoft just reverses course on these decisions.

Same here. I don't want them to fail I just want them to reverse their policies. They do that and I'm in with the Xbone.

I'll still call it an Xbone no matter what though

Camp Lo

Banned
I wish they would fucking lift these god forsaken restrictions so I can buy one for fucks sake. I'm too fat to join the military.

• fixed controller
  • cheaper machine
  • same multiplats
  • more powerful GPU
  • Non-shitty DRM method
  • Headset with every console
  • Support from more developers (indie)
  • Playstation PLUS

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hahah, Rachel Maddow is in on this?

Can someone please forward the story to Limbaugh or O'Reilly for maximum rage.

I've been wondering if somebody could get the conspiracy buffs over at Fox News to connect the dots between PRISM and the Xbox One/Kinect 2.0, for giggles.

The video game industry has made a fortune breaking not just video game records, but entertainment records as a whole, with properties that simulate what my brothers, sisters, and I do on a daily basis.

Ha. I didn't even pick up on this wonderful irony.

"Buy exclusive Call of Duty DLC! Play as a Marine! Unless you actually are a Marine...."

Kerub

Banned
I didn't read this entire thread yet so I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but didn't MS said they were looking into ways to have special Xbox One systems specifically for military members that dont require the online check?

You mean the 360?

Kusagari

How did Microsoft not think of all the obvious negative ways this could impact the perception of the console?

We predicted this the second the rumor the came out.

OrbitScant

Neo Member
Oh dear, not going well is it? Could X1 turn out to be another Zune, Win8 or surface? Msoft top brass just seem to be clueless lately.

Amir0x

Banned
You mean the 360?

haha no... ;)

ArmyTimes said:
“While the console itself is not geographically restricted, a user’s Xbox Live account, content, apps and experiences are all tied to the country of billing and residence,” she wrote.

“Military personnel will be able to take their Xbox One and play their games with them without an issue as long as the game has been ‘activated’ once in the U.S. Your games go with you and play, no issues,” she says.

I'm so confused by this again. But I wasn't even referring to this. I think I read a article quote a few days ago that said Microsoft was looking into making special Xbox One's specifically for military members that didn't require the check-in for games.

BigDug13

Besides the online requirement, the Kinect requirement might also make the Xbone a no-go in the military. They don't like cameras connected to the internet except for the ones they approve.

Yeah I wouldn't have been able to have one. I worked in the Intelligence Center on two carriers. It's not about having a camera connected to the internet. You're not allowed to have a camera or recording device of any kind in there.

I've never seen a company with so much money, talent and resources be so utterly arrogant and stupid. How in the hell are they so out of touch? I mean, for fucks sake! It's the age of the internet! Can't they read or what?!?!

Utterly shameful. Seriously. They keep shitting the bed. Over and over. I would say comedy gold if it wasn't so sad for the people invested in their consoles. But really--the console created by the AMERICAN company shuts out service personnel. It's time for some humility, MS. When Sony outshines you repeatedly in your home market, it's time to exit stage right and change your pants, your stinking up the show.

Very well stage. This is the main reason I'm interested to see what their response will be. It's a very tight rope they are walking right now and it's getting thinner with each passing day...

I suspect you may be right. And while it's interesting to watch a PR case study in the making, I'm really hoping that Microsoft just reverses course on these decisions.

I simply don't think it's possible for them to reverse course now. I actually think they are responding to the backlash with policy changes behind the scenes but only within the framework that they already have laid out. I think that is why so many of the policies are ridiculously confusing and there has been so many mixed messages and cancelled interviews.

Last I checked, it was still behind Wii in the US so its not really #1.

I am looking foward to installing my games and - having a nice clean shelf next gen.

If you people stop this, then there will be hell.

ascii42

Possibly, but what about the power of the cloud?

UrbanRats

Well it shouldn't be hard for them to implement a firmware-level workaround, to allow the activation of games and offline play for specific Xbones around the world.

Top Bottom