• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft console sales surpass PC sales; 54 million sold across all platforms

Damian.

Banned
Good that a version of the game that is actually properly supported by the developer outsells a version that is neglected. Fuck you, Notch.

Justified

There's not big deal. It's just about pointing a silly fallacy.
"Several different configurations on PCs" don't equal to different versions of the game.
It's still the same software, not a different port for each configuration.

Thats not my qoute. I said Several different configurations OF PCs.

There are Millions of PCs out there with several points of entry to play this game, that can put the availability on Consoles to shame

edits- I typo/autocorrect

Lemmy

Banned
lol, funny timing seeing as there was some arguing about this in some thread earlier today :D

Don't see a problem with lumping the consoles together against PC though seeing as it's not a static platform like consoles are and there's a fuckload more of them out there than all consoles combined to boot.

End of the day, it's great to see such a huge success story for an indie game continue. That's the important thing.

How many more PCs are out there versus consoles combined? How many PCs in markets with little to no console penetration? Where did Minecraft begin?

It's impressive to say the least, but PC gamers naturally have to be offended.

? I'm not offended.

I'm glad console gamers find solidarity in something, even if they go back to their catty ways as soon as a Digital Foundry article is released.

Lanrutcon

I've still never played this, but just about every kid I know is addicted to the 360 version.

If they had acces to FTB it would blow their little minds. Turns the game into a giant freaking logic puzzle.

"Gee. I wonder what the most efficient way to build a giant nuclear powered bee factory is."

Dredd97

Even more impressive since the console versions have been full price for longer. 54 million total is nuts though, damn!

Glad to say I own both pc version and ps3 version (and will be upgrading to the ps4 version in August for less than a fiver).

It's over, period. PC lost its last ace, and that's the end of their Minecraft hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PC. PC has nothing left, nothing they can do would fix the hole now created by Minecraft. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PC. Except if they want to play Excel spread sheets. Which will also come to console at some point.

The age of PC is done.

SmokyDave

Fucking bonkers. The mobile version was around 15 mil at last count too. The revenue from consoles alone must be mind-boggling.

Edit: Jesus there's some sour shit in this thread. Ugh.

Really interested to see what it'll do to Vita hardware sales. If they don't announce a bundle at Gamescom I seriously question so many people's intelligence.
There will be no bundle. There will be no advertising. It will probably release on the same day as the PS4 version and never even get a mention beyond an asterisk on the PS4 press release.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Guys, who gives a shit which version is which. 54 million is an amazing accomplishment.

Denton

It's over, period. PC lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PC hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PC. PC has nothing left, nothing they can do would fix the hole now created by Minecraft. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PC. Except if they want to play Excel spread sheets. Which will also come to console at some point.

The age of PC is done.

I found these posts funny in the earlier days, but now when I see several metasarcastic posts like this every day, the joke is getting a bit stale .)

As for Minecraft, its success is stunning and unbelieveable. Notch really nailed it, created a phenomenon that millions of kids are going to be begging their parents to buy probably for upcoming decades. It just ain't slowing.

Good for him, I just hope he will do something worthwhile with the money. Like fund new Firefly series, or make some proper AAA FPSRPG game, or...something.

It's crazy how much this game has sold now.

It's over, period. PC lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PC hopes and dreams.

The age of PC is done.

lCVk5C2.gif

PC/MAC has sold roughly 15.8 million editions. Lets say that 360 has sold roughly 16-17 million editions. that leaves PS3/Mobile at roughly 14 millon. Also i remember a couple of weeks/months ago that the ps3 version sold 500 thousand so will say that now it has sold 1-1.5 millon editions.

If someone could check on Google Play and the iOS web app thing how much times it has been downloaded that would be of great help since im to lazy to do it myself.

2 months ago

Minecraft hits 21 million downloads on mobile

Last year revenue: 38% PC, 30% console, 25% mobile, 7% merchandise + scrolls

Last year, 38% of the company's revenue came from sales of the PC version of "Minecraft," while the versions for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 accounted for 30% of sales, Ms. Severinson said. Roughly a quarter of revenue stemmed from mobile. The rest came from "Scrolls," a strategy card-trading game, as well as merchandise sales.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788708&highlight=

Krejlooc

Banned
I only have the 360 version, but I keep thinking that I might double dip and get the PC version as well.
I like the private servers in the pc version, like the to-scale rendition of denmark. I actually like exploring that stuff more than "playing" the game properly.

GladiatoR

Banned
Some of the salt in here is immense. Calm down guys, did it hurt some of you because it sold more on consoles? I mean wtf, it doesn't even matter.

54 million in total? I said god damn. Minecraft is a beast.

No the mobile version is over 20m, a given since I assume it's the cheapest.

The mobile version is pretty seriously gimped iirc. My 12 year old Minecraft expert still plays it on his grandma's iPhone, but he's eagerly awaiting the Vita version since it's going to actually finally be a full portable version.

SmokyDave

No the mobile version is over 20m, a given since I assume it's the cheapest.
It's still expensive for a mobile game, and a heavily cut-down version. 20 million sales is really impressive.

That's ... fair? Why not just lump in cellphones while we are at it?
It's funny, I've never seen anyone moan that iOS and Android are lumped in together, but lump consoles together and the sky falls in.

Ghazi

If you play on PC, you play on PC. If you play on consoles, you play on PS3/360/PS4/X1/WiiU.

Isn't that obvious?

Many multiplat games still sell better on a single console compared to the PC versions.

You have to consider that Minecraft is a special case, though. Which is why I feel this comparison is fine. What PC indie game sells around 25 million copies and isn't even on Steam?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
No surprise, the number will only get much larger. Best game of the past ten years IMHO.

King E

Banned
The mac version does run on PC. It's the same version.

The only difference is the launcher. Which isn't needed, and has a version that is also Java-based like the game (so you get a cross platform alternative, too)

So, there is a difference between the Mac and "PC" version. You've stated it yourself.

Anyways, I thought some things are just common knowledge. I don't know, more "gamers" play their games on consoles and mobile devices in contrast to desktops and laptops. The numbers aren't really surprising, and probably shouldn't warrant the notion of separating platforms.

Avari

Guys, who gives a shit which version is which. 54 million is an amazing accomplishment.

Very much this. Almost an unbelievable number - a great accomplishment for Mojang.

Probably no way to figure it out but I wonder how many copies are from people who bought multiple copies. I've bought multiple PC accounts, the 360 version, and the mobile version. I'll soon have the Xbox One version.

Krejlooc

Banned
So, there is a difference between the Mac and "PC" version. You've stated it yourself.

No he didn't. He said the external launcher is different, which isn't even necessary. It's the exact same code being run. And I don't mean "same codebase," I mean literally the same code. It runs on the java runtime environment.

Kerned

Banned
This game could potentially reach $1B in sales once the upcoming versions release. Quite a bit for a self-published game from a small team. Notch has got to be swimming in cash at this point.

Phades

It's funny, I've never seen anyone moan that iOS and Android are lumped in together, but lump consoles together and the sky falls in.
The entire premise of lumping together is pretty silly all around.

You don't go and get IOS stuff for andriod, the same goes for windows. The xbox game doesn't get stuffed in the playstation, etc.

Other things they choose to not do is look at pricing per unit. Number of units per household per platform. It isn't too different from just making a generic statement that most gamers have minecraft. It just looks dumb.

Cornbread78

I'm still baffled that this game was such a monster hit with kids.

creativity and fun...

My daughter (13) is an addict. PC version, Android version, iOS version, 360 version and the PS3 versions all in my house. It's crazy when she plays on her lap-top and is watching videos of someone else playing on her iPod at the same time....

a complete addict. Now, if I could only get her to be that passionate about her soccer skills, then..... LOL I kid, I kid..

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Nope, no difference in the game at all. We have people on the Neocraft server playing on macs right alongside us playing on PC's, it's the exact same game code.

Console players can have their larger sales numbers, us Minecrafters on PC have the most updated best version of the game at all times with the most content! Can you build in a Savannah biome on consoles? Didn't think so!!! :)

Are they counting the mobile versions?
If not:
54mil total
PC+Mac < Consoles
=>
PC+Mac < 27mil
Consoles > 27mil

Edit:
They're counting mobile and mobile is 21mil as of two months ago.
So:
31mil total
=>
PC+Mac < 15.5mil
Consoles > 15.5mil

Top Bottom