• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft console sales surpass PC sales; 54 million sold across all platforms

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just proves what everyone already knows. Games sell better on consoles. Even PC "exclusives" that "aren't possible" on a "controller".

Saty

Amid the pointless debate of combining platforms, it's great that the game is super successful. Well-deserved.

It's not pointless. Commenting on a platform's financial viability by comparing one SKU against several combined SKUs is one of the worst and most wrong behaviors people can do in this subject. Unfortunately, this behavior is prevalent on GAF, especially when playing down the PC as a gaming platform.

However i don't think the Mojang tweet had any intentions to spur that conversation - just stating a fact.

Road

Super Mario Brothers for the 21st century.

Seriously. (Or maybe Tetris).

Last year I read many people saying how Minecraft was popular with kids, but that'was mostly from people in the US. This year I have started to see this trend with my own eyes here in Brazil.

I wonder if it has caught on with children in China as well, or if it will eventually.

Krejlooc

Banned
Seriously. (Or maybe Tetris).

Last year I read many people saying how Minecraft was popular with kids, but that'was mostly from people in the US. This year I have started to see this trend in my own eyes here in Brazil.

I wonder if it has caught on with children in China as well, or if it will eventually.

If it had caught on in china, the comparison between console sales and pc sales wouldn't have been close, it would have overwhelmingly sold in favor of pc. China is the world's largest pc gaming market.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'm stupefied as well. Why kids could ever like this or Legos is beyond me. Maybe kids are stupid.

Something's wrong with you if you can't understand why a child would enjoy playing with building blocks.

It's not pointless. Commenting on a platform's financial viability by comparing one SKU against several combined SKUs is one of the worst and most wrong behaviors people can do in this subject. Unfortunately, this behavior is prevalent on GAF, especially when playing down the PC as a gaming platform.

However i don't think the Mojang tweet had any intentions to spur that conversation - just stating a fact.

No, its pretty pointless. The consoles are usually lumped together as one because they're basically the same in terms of userbase size, needs, wants, dev costs and sales. The sales ratio can vary depending on region, but when most are talking about platforms, they are combined because its easier and no one bats an eye.

It has nothing to do with playing down PC. Rules don't change because one popular title sold more on the consoles. Diablo 3 has sold less on the consoles, those numbers were still combined.

It has nothing to do with playing down PC. Rules don't change because one popular title sold more on the consoles. Diablo 3 has sold less on the consoles, those numbers were still combined.

Well of course, because it sold less. Splitting them up would mean that the numbers would be even smaller, it wouldn't change the outcome. In this case, it might.

Saty

No, its pretty pointless. The consoles are usually lumped together as one because they're basically the same in terms of userbase size, needs, wants, dev costs and sales. The sales ratio can vary depending on region, but when most are talking about platforms, they are combined because its easier and no one bats an eye.

That couldn't be any further than the truth. PS\Xbox SKUs tend to have different people assigned to each version, different budgets, different developing challenges etc. etc. - and it's only getting more like that with the new generation as any look on DF articles would show.
Each SKU has to carry it's weight. Companies stopped doing Wii U versions because sales of that SKU were bad. It meant nothing that it was lumped with other console versions.

Not sure what are the 'rules' you're talking about. My point is that if you're going to discuss sales of a game related to platform then you better do it per SKU rather than lumping 4 or 5 against 1.
Sadly, there are enough users at GAF who trash the PC and why it shouldn't be a high priority for devs because generally a PC version of a game doesn't outsell 2\3\4\5\6 versions of a game. This mentality should be discouraged.

The irony of all this is that Minecraft is not available for sale on Steam. 54 million sold and not available on Steam. I guess Steam really isn't all that necessary.

54 million copies. Man, I got this game in alpha for like $10 after I tried playing it on my brother's PC. Never realized at that time how popular it would be come. Well deserved.

Grinchy

Banned
The irony of all this is that Minecraft is not available for sale on Steam. 54 million sold and not available on Steam. I guess Steam really isn't all that necessary.

It's definitely not necessary for Minecraft, but Minecraft isn't exactly a typical story.

King E

Banned
No he didn't. He said the external launcher is different, which isn't even necessary. It's the exact same code being run. And I don't mean "same codebase," I mean literally the same code. It runs on the java runtime environment.

A technicality.

The hive is rattled.

pV7Zgqu.jpg

Into

I distinctly remember people saying when the 360 version was announced how Minecraft would not work on consoles and how the average "military brown shootan dudebroski" would not care for the game.

I prefer to play the game on consoles despite it being superior on PC, because i do not need endless landmass and buggy mods and addons to enjoy it. The vanilla game is just fine.

meppi

Sony really should dig deep and bundle this game with every Vita and have it preloaded on the memory card, like Nintendo did with Tetris and the Game Boy.
If that does't boost the system sales, then I don't know what will.

Kelsey

Banned
Sony really should dig deep and bundle this game with every Vita and have it preloaded on the memory card, like Nintendo did with Tetris and the Game Boy.
If that does't boost the system sales, then I don't know what will.

Nothing will.

Dire

Just proves what everyone already knows. Games sell better on consoles. Even PC "exclusives" that "aren't possible" on a "controller".

I think the more likely explanation is that Minecraft contrasts excellently against the current (and by current I mean for past several years) library of console games. It's fun, interesting, has been being constantly updated for years - FOR FREE and is far away from the typical console shooter gotta murderize 'em all then pay the publisher $xxx to shovel out some half-hearted DLC updates type game. I think the fact Minecraft has been almost constantly been in the top 10 sellers on consoles for the past 2 years or so is also evidence of this. Not to say it's not also selling insanely well on PCs as well - rather I just think there's a far wider array of titles garnering interest. More competition for those looking for something outside the standard fare.

besada

Banned
Let's stop the PC vs Console fighting in the thread before I have to come back and break out the wood chipper.

It's excellent that MC has sold so well, on all platforms. If you can't enjoy that, go nurse your neurotic grievances in private.

Huh impressive. Minecraft literally is the greatest evergreen title of all time methinks

Will surely sell millions on PS4 and XB1, and some amount of units on Vita

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Took me a while to get over the presentation of MC at first, but with a few skins and performance addons, I ended up loving it. Congrats to Mojang for this multi-headed beast!

It's always fun playing on my private server with friends on PC and now cannot wait for the PS4 version to drop, so that's another +1 sale.

Even now I can hear that eerie music playing in my head, haha!

Let's stop the PC vs Console fighting in the thread before I have to come back and break out the wood chipper.

It's excellent that MC has sold so well, on all platforms. If you can't enjoy that, go nurse your neurotic grievances in private.

Thank you!

Top Bottom