• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

SomTervo

Finished up to a little past Where the title comes up.

I like it a lot. Combat seems a little more momentum oriented than the first if i remember correctly.

Game isnt as pretty as i had hoped though

I've found it's more about 'tricks' than momentum. Make sure you're 180-kick-ing off walls, springboard-kicking into faces, and slide-kicking into groins.

Momentum does the damn damage, though.

I actually kind of like the combat tbh. Once you get a flow going it's pretty fun, especially with some of the upgrade moves. Idk. It's no Batman but it's more than okay.

Same here. It's such a massive improvement over ME1's combat. I really don't get people who say the combat was better in the first. Catalyst's combat only seems bad if you stand still and punch/kick like you're Solid Snake or something.

I've had some actual transcendent badass Matrix-style moments where I combo'd multiple moves. Kicking multiple guys off rooftops, combo'ing them to death, getting them in the back, doing tricks, etc...

I've found it's more about 'tricks' than momentum. Make sure you're 180-kick-ing off walls, springboard-kicking into faces, and slide-kicking into groins.

Same here. It's such a massive improvement over ME1's combat. I really don't get people who say the combat was better in the first. Catalyst's combat only seems bad if you stand still and punch/kick like you're Solid Snake or something.

I've had some actual transcendent badass Matrix-style moments where I combo'd multiple moves. Kicking multiple guys off rooftops, combo'ing them to death, getting them in the back, doing tricks, etc...
Yeah, watching videos where the person reviewing is just standing still pressing buttons and talking about the combat being mediocre is more than a little frustrating.

But yeah, I've had some great combat moments too. Love running straight up a wall, quick turn, jump, heavy attack which pushes a goon into the other one, they both clutch each other and fall over... Quite satisfying tbh.

Blizzard

Banned
I can't avoid combat so I'm at least trying to go non-lethal. I feel actively bad if I kick someone off a roof by accident, and I reload. :(

jdstorm

Banned

I'm not going to get to play it till Thursday, but from my experience with the Demo. The Combat in Catalyst feels like the Platforming in the Origional. At first it's difficult and Unnatural, but once good players start to master it. The results will be purely spectacular.

Mirrors Edge Catalyst OT2 The Game Doesn't Suck. You Do

SomTervo

Worth noting that I'm encountering more amounts of jank as I continue. Not huge, but like every area has at least one or two dead-ends or poorly placed geometry and the AI has a bit of a funk from time to time.

Still loving it, though.

Yeah, watching videos where the person reviewing is just standing still pressing buttons and talking about the combat being mediocre is more than a little frustrating.

But yeah, I've had some great combat moments too. Love running straight up a wall, quick turn, jump, heavy attack which pushes a goon into the other one, they both clutch each other and fall over... Quite satisfying tbh.

I'm not going to get to play it till Thursday, but from my experience with the Demo. The Combat in Catalyst feels like the Platforming in the Origional. At first it's difficult and Unnatural, but once good players start to master it. The results will be purely spectacular.

Mirrors Edge Catalyst OT2 The Game Doesn't Suck. You Do

Word

Be careful about the 'git gud' message though jd :( sometimes I'm so tempted to deploy it but it's never really right

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Man, wait all this time for a new Mirror's Edge... and there's some kind of awful deadzone/input lag mixed with (always terrible) acceleration on the right analog.

Come the fuck on DICE.

jrush64

Banned
Ok, so i've been playing for an hour. Well It's a good game It's pretty much what I expected, more Mirror's Edge.

SomTervo

I've spent the last 20 minutes of game time getting totally rammed by the first Diversion mission I try. Division mission are basically disparate checkpoints races across a region of the city, except your checkpoints are groups of enemies to run through so you're being shot at the whole time.

Really great, hard challenge. Pretty much forces you to get a super-perfect run across through all five checkpoints. You can barely spare 3 seconds.

Really intense and hard to master. I was frustrated by it for a long time then when I beat it I felt amazing.

I feel like it has actually improved my skills, which is awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
I've spent the last 20 minutes of game time getting totally rammed by the first Diversion mission I try

Really great, hard challenge. Pretty much forces you to get a super-perfect run across 5 disparate checkpoints across a region of the city. You can barely spare 3 seconds. Your checkpoints are groups of enemies to run through so you're being shot at the whole time.

Really intense and hard to master. I was frustrated by it for a long time then when I beat it I felt amazing.
I managed the first 3 groups or so, but I gave up on the 4th. I'll try again soon enough I guess. Did you beat it without the
fast pipe climb
upgrade?

Also, like delivery missions, that has the slow reload if you screw up...8-12 seconds adds up. AND you have to listen to the voice lines every time.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Didn't realize the Green Man Gaming keys wouldn't be released until Thursday, so unfortunately (fortunately?) it's more Overwatch for me until then.

Oh, is that what it is? I just put in a ticket asking them what was up, too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just finished
the raid on the Lair
. A mission after that is when most of your abilities are fully unlocked/able to be gotten. I have like 80% of them now, just by doing the main story and picking up whatever collectibles I've run across while doing that. No side-missions. So... people worried about the unlock system: Don't. Go with what you think is good (I haven't invested heavily in Combat outside of intel on the enemy and 1 HP reinforcement) and outside of failing at combat (since I'd rather run run run) I've been doing okay and holding my own in combat when I'm forced into it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a blast with this. Been playing off and on for a few days on Xbox One first with the Access trial and then bought digitally. I'm through six story missions and seven side quests so far, plus random exploring, security hub shutdowns etc.

Quick question, where do you get the speed runner and combat kits? It shows them as installed but I never got them in game that I can tell.

jdstorm

Banned
Be careful about the 'git gud' message though jd :( sometimes I'm so tempted to deploy it but it's never really right

That's definitely true. the whole "git gud" approach just make you sound like an Ass and ignores the reality that more detailed tutorials or a more approachable progression system would go close to eliminating the problem.

However I think it's bad for the Industry that difficult games with controls that aren't your standard FPS are quickly dismissed by reviewers due to their own competence interfering with their own enjoyment of the product. Since it creates an environment where only easily accessible games of medium difficulty can really exist

TheSeks

Quick question, where do you get the speed runner and combat kits? It shows them as installed but I never got them in game that I can tell.

No. If you pre-ordered, it should have the two in your Origin Game Information page, if they're "installed" you should find them in Merc--er--"Noah"'s lair where you sleep and get your outfit.

Additionally: You can pick them up at "safe houses."

TheSeks

I've picked up several kits. Just haven't seen the preorder ones.

Then they might be Merc/Noah lair exclusive. You should definitely see them near where Faith gets her iconic outfit.

ViciousDS

Banned
Combats fun and great, I really don't like the open world clutter now that I got to it.

Very solid game, but the first has a touch......I just can't figure it out that this one does not. Maybe perfectly created levels were what I liked. Sprints or whatever the missions are called are too many and some aren't even possible to 3* until you get the right equipment which is kind of dumb that they unlock before you get it. They really need more use of the grappling hook.....by far my favorite addition and it's sad that so far I've seen it only used once in awhile.

So far not a single set piece comes close to the dam mission in mirrors edge.

DirtyLarry

Playing on PC here, the frame rate is absolutely tanking in some indoor areas, mainly the ones with water or some other kind of effect. Anyone know a possible fix for this? It is getting cut in pretty much half. Going from 80s to 40s. I am using a 980Ti, 2560 with most settings on Ultra. I know I can tone all the settings down, but wondering if there is one particular one that will help me get a better frame rate with these effects, or is that just the overall experience for everyone?

xRaizen

There's nothing more annoying than being out doing side missions and collecting the collectibles and you suddenly have a camera call K-SEC on you.

Then you HAVE to run to a nearby safehouse. Goddamnit I'm so pissed everytime this happens.

Blizzard

Banned
Playing on PC here, the frame rate is absolutely tanking in some indoor areas, mainly the ones with water or some other kind of effect. Anyone know a possible fix for this? It is getting cut in pretty much half. Going from 80s to 40s. I am using a 980Ti, 2560 with most settings on Ultra. I know I can tone all the settings down, but wondering if there is one particular one that will help me get a better frame rate with these effects, or is that just the overall experience for everyone?
Try turning reflections down a notch. I'm guessing that or "effects" would affect water.

On another note, THE ANANSI MISSION IS AWESOME. The level, the visuals, and the music are like a pure love letter to the original game.

chris121580

For those who are eager to hack billboards...I would wait a bit til you've dug into the main missions. I got so stuck on a billboard that I finally gave up. Little did I know that I didn't have the proper tool to complete getting up to the billboard

Blizzard

Banned
For those who are eager to hack billboards...I would wait a bit til you've dug into the main missions. I got so stuck on a billboard that I finally gave up. Little did I know that I didn't have the proper tool to complete getting up to the billboard
Was it the
huuuuuge
one? I spent way too much time and gave up as well. And I bet I know what you're talking about. :p

MattyG

Banned
There's nothing more annoying than being out doing side missions and collecting the collectibles and you suddenly have a camera call K-SEC on you.

Then you HAVE to run to a nearby safehouse. Goddamnit I'm so pissed everytime this happens.
I've never had a camera call K-SEC. The only time I have to run is when I do the antenna destruction thingys.

Feep

Banned
I guess one downside is that even the main story missions can't presume you have quickturn? Do the main story missions haven't utilized anything that requires this move...yet. It might be auto-unlocked by a mission further down the line.

Blizzard

Banned
I guess one downside is that even the main story missions can't presume you have quickturn? Do the main story missions haven't utilized anything that requires this move...yet. It might be auto-unlocked by a mission further down the line.
I'm on a mission now that seems to requires it. Even with runner vision off, it pops up an echo figure to show you how to do a wallclimb -> quickturn -> jump.

TriAceJP

I received a free download code from Nvidia (that is to say, a code to get a download code) back during an event they did at SXSW IIRC.

...does anyone know if and when they are sending the codes out for these? They haven't said anything about it, as far as I am aware.

Top Bottom