• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PC/PS4/XB1, Reboot, DICE, Q1 2016) officially announced

The first one had its moments, but it was too repetitive and the way you needed to be right on with your jumps in order to grab ledges was frustrating.

I may pass on this.

The_Lump

Banned
Curious about these pre-e3 announcements. The only logical explanation is that those within the industry have gotten wind that there is some earth-shatteringly-momentous megaton of an announcement due to be made at the expo, which will completely drown out their own pitiful offerings.

My money is on HL3 being NX exlusive, but that's PURE CONJECTURE. >.>

OT: Cool. Can't wait :)

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
FUCK.YES.

Inject that heroin(e) right in the vein DICE.

GavinUK86

Were you really attached to Faith's sister and the deep and wholly original conspiracy plotline of the original?
I'm glad they recognize that character deserves a better origin story, and just story in general, than what we got in ME1.

I do feel oddly attached to the first game, even though I can't put my finger on why.

Is this some kind of remaster? Hard to tell from the wording.

It's a reboot. Ignore the first one, play this one, is what EA meant to say.

Bulzeeb

as long as they don't turn the game into another mindless shooter, combat was the most boring part of the first game.

Dahaka

They probably know they can't reach the magic of the original again (ambience, music, atmosphere, almost dream like experience) so a reboot is the easy way out. Probably gonna introduce weapons and general easier accessibility.

Yeah i am negative but i love the first game so much. Would have preferred them building upon the original.

I hope it is not a prequel. I prefer a reboot rather than a prequel. I also hope they are using Star Wars BattleFron and NFS updated engine for this (which means I hope they updated the engine they were using on it since the time of the first showing of the game).

jett

D-Member
I hope I'll be able run this thing at 60fps on my PC.

I'm weary about all these comments about it not being a sequel and "honoring" the first game, whatever that means, but I'm eager to see what they have done.

crmetteer

I hated the first game. It was the only game I have ever thrown in the garbage. But hearing that this is a reboot will keep my mind open for a while.

joeblow

Hopefully it is less of a Sonic the Hedgehog game like the last one. I felt that the rigid gameplay required too much trial and error memorization and not allowing for enough on-the-fly intuition and alternative approaches to the challenges.

kmax

I'm hyped, but why a reboot? I think the first game is fine as it is. Maybe we'll learn more about the runners and get better characters.

Rhianna Pratchett's not involved this time around, so they might of felt to start over from scratch. As it's a reboot, we'll see completely new characters and new relationships being formed that probably wouldn't make a lot of sense had it been a prequel. As they're starting from a clean slate, they're pretty much free to do whatever at this point.

Please don't be open world.

I am going to be disappointed, aren't I?

You probably will.

I'm cool with it being open world so long as it's an open-world made entirely of rooftops and offices. With no vehicles and a 90% perfect chance of falling to your death whenever you need to go anywhere.

Trago

Maybe they didn't like where they were story wise or something and want to make a solid foundation for the future of the franchise. Seems like they are taking this very seriously.

post-31580-Larry-David-cringe-meh-gif-Img-wyjc.gif

On one hand you're totally right, but on the other, they could change stuff that we liked from the original.

My hope is that parkour is still the main focus, but the combat is more finely tuned.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Nitpick time:

Lose the arm tattoos, please. They're tacky as fuck.

Everything looks excellent otherwise.

She looks so fit.

dayum

Is it a reboot? A remake?

Im dumb, explain me Shinobi

It is the same core idea worked into something new

Let's say you wrote down everything that Mirrors Edge was on a piece of paper, but the person you gave it to was not forced to work based on the ideas seen in the old game.

It is kinda like the last Tomb Raider game - going back to the roots, doing things different. They can keep them similar. but not forced too.

Robiin

Maybe they will start this generation like the last, with trying new things (albeit safer, these aren't new IPs after all).. Hopefully they won't end the generation the same way as last time.

Not sure why they are reebooting it.

Not like the plot was bad or anything. Oh well I loved the original Mirror's Edge, hopefully my PC can run this if I get it.

Maybe they wrote themselves into a corner.

kubus

Finally <3

Not a fan of Faith's new look... Her face looks... different? Maybe it's just the weird angle.

Anyway I'm so excited for this. I'll stay up until 3AM just to see any new footage.

Jb

I do feel oddly attached to the first game, even though I can't put my finger on why.

To the 1st game, asbolutely. I occasionally re-install this just because there's nothing like it out there.
But the narrative, from the characters to the presentation (remember those awful 2D cutscenes?) were completely forgettable.

Top Bottom