• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PC/PS4/XB1, Reboot, DICE, Q1 2016) officially announced

i am confused as to how this should be a reboot rather than a sequel

and how dice is adamant in calling it a reboot.

it looks like a sequel to me. reboot would mean changing a lot of fundamental things to give it a new vision.

that, and bf4, do not give me confidence.

Empty

the game i'm most excited to see. very curious to see what kind of design changes have been made and how they reconcile such a singular vision with the demands of the modern market. trying to keep an open mind, it's nice that it actually exists and ea made a game i actually want to play for the first time in eons. i swore blindly that it would be beyond good and evil 2'd when it was announced so i'm glad to be wrong on that front.

SykoTech

First game's story and characters (minus Faith) sucked, so I'm okay with a reboot. Hopefully they do better in that area this time.

Gameplay is the biggest attraction here anyway. But not like that needed to be said.

Eggbok

Did no one realize that the trailer is literally Faith getting her eye tattoo which suggests there would be some type of origin/prequel story.

tumblr_mo75p2sQcG1rruop4o1_400.gif

GavinUK86

To the 1st game, asbolutely. I occasionally re-install this just because there's nothing like it out there.
But the narrative, from the characters to the presentation (remember those awful 2D cutscenes?) were completely forgettable.

I meant attached to the narrative and characters. I fully bought into all that with the game and the comics. I feel like it's a shame they're not continuing it but it makes sense to reboot it considering it's been so long and not many people actually liked the first one.

Did no one realize that the trailer is literally Faith getting her eye tattoo which suggests there would be some type of origin story.

It's pretty obvious that this is Faith's origin story.

it looks like a sequel to me. reboot would mean changing a lot of fundamental things to give it a new vision.

Because the story of the first game ends in a stupid cliffhanger they don't want to deal with.

Also parkops was fucking stupid and needs to be forgotten.

Trago

Rihanna Pratchett's not involved this time around, so they might of felt to start over from scratch. As it's a reboot, we'll see completely new characters and new relationships being formed that probably wouldn't make a lot of sense had it been a prequel. As they're starting from a clean slate, they're pretty much free to do whatever at this point.

Ok then, definitely makes sense now.

Makes me wonder what direction they'll take with Faith as a character now. Please don't make here brooding serious dark hero...

Ecstatic as Mirror's Edge is legit one of my favorite games of last generation warts and all.

I do think I prefer the design of Faith in the first game relative to what they've shown thus far.

18j50c7ongh6rjpg.jpg

She's still Asian in the new artwork but they've toned her features down. Which is ashame as I always felt she was one of the more unique main character designs in gaming. Maybe I'm completely wrong though as we've only seen very few tidbits of this new game.

I'm nervous about this. The fact that it's not a direct sequel to what was the best game of last gen, that they're already rebooting it after a mere single installment, the redesigned Faith that I'm honestly not too keen on and the inescapable shadow that EA casts on everything they publish nowadays. I want to be excited, I really do, but I've not got a good feeling about this. We'll see.

Did no one realize that the trailer is literally Faith getting her eye tattoo which suggests there would be some type of origin/prequel story.

tumblr_mo75p2sQcG1rruop4o1_400.gif

When they first announced it, people said it was a prequel though. It's the reboot part that's throwing us off.

Horohoro

SOOOOOO HYPE.... My most played game of last gen... Will probably be this one too... Such a fan I got 1 version of each release for each system including the steelbook from Spain... SOOOOOO HYPPPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Not that I agree with the poster calling faith 'looking like a bitch', but it does feel oddly distorted from her original appearance, i.e. thinning her face out and such.

Still hype tho, since we likely won't see a whole lot of it.

Edit: Missed the Q1 2016 in the title, lol.

Gbraga

Nitpick time:

Lose the arm tattoos, please. They're tacky as fuck.

Everything looks excellent otherwise.

She looks so fit.

dayum

I really like them, rebooting the story? Fine, who gives a fuck, but removing the tattoos would be too much imo. I want her to still be Faith.

Seanspeed

Banned
Were you really attached to Faith's sister and the deep and wholly original conspiracy plotline of the original?
I'm glad they recognize that character deserves a better origin story, and just story in general, than what we got in ME1.
I don't care about the story. But I'd like all new content.

EDIT: I may be reading too much into the 'it's not a sequel' thing to mean something it doesn't.

Its a reboot because the first games story and characters were really not impressiveat all. I think they are trying to deliver a stronger narrative this time

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
She looks mixed now

Other than that, give me a grander more visual VR experience and I'm down

KissVibes

Banned
I really hope DICE has learned from the original. Great platforming but man, fighting back felt so abysmal and clunky. The story was also unnecessary as well.

A reboot after one game?

Still excited.

It has also been seven years. Eight in 2016.

Acinixys

Im super excited for this

Watching the video on their youtube channel it looks like combat will be all about hand to hand, with very little guns involved

I really like DICE as a studio, and I believe they can make this work

Also, imagine this running on the Rift. It would feel insane

I've played Mirror's Edge like a million times, Platinum'd it on PS3 and double-dipped on PC, and I have no fucking idea what the cliffhanger people are talking about is. That game's story left absolutely zero impression on me. I remember kicking the guy out of the helicopter and the first person hug into credits, and pretty much nothing else :p

Not happy that New Faith doesn't have shoes with split toes, but I can't wait to see how this game turns out.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not so sure about this. I held ME in a high regard but I replayed it on PC recently and I don't know.... They have to improve the gameplay quite a bit for Catalyst because ME was way, way, way too trial and error and is only really fun when you already know the levels and can breeze through - which I doubt should be the goal here.

KillySG10

Neo Member
As its a reboot, im kinda disappointed that means it wont continue on story wise from the first, but im really excited otherwise, the first was interesting, and i really liked it, despite its faults, interested to see how this turns out.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Nice! Really looking forward to getting my hands on this game. Spent an absurd amount of time trying to get perfect runs on all the story levels in the first one. There's nothing quite like the feeling you get when you realize that you've managed to beat your previous best time by something as small as 2 seconds.

Acinixys

I've played Mirror's Edge like a million times, Platinum'd it on PS3 and double-dipped on PC, and I have no fucking idea what the cliffhanger people are talking about is. That game's story left absolutely zero impression on me. I remember kicking the guy out of the helicopter and the first person hug into credits, and pretty much nothing else :p

Not happy that New Faith doesn't have shoes with split toes, but I can't wait to see how this game turns out.

She was looking for her sister in the first game

And thats where it ended

Top Bottom