• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMORPG.com gets sneak peek at Everquest Next at E3. Calls it best of show.

Arzehn

Whether or not I buy FFXIV will depend on what I see on August 2nd.
I wonder if they'll be ready to talk about the beta and a release date. Seems like they might go all out this SOE Live.

FACE

Banned
eq.jpg

The original for comparison. Brings back the memories. Always had great art for the original game and expansions.

This gives me an old-school D&D feeling.

So good.

Vyrance

That EQ original art is so good. So so good. Aug 2nd can't come here fast enough! Wish I was able to be in Vegas for the reveal :( At least I'm still off that day

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I really don't know what you guys see in that art from the original. I do like the palette, but there's just something off with the whole style. I can't think of a word for it. It isn't bland (although I think the character designs are pretty mediocre, but that's probably more a result of age than lack of creativity at creation), it's just like... painting's uncanny valley. It looks like a mural painted on the side of a carnival carriage or something.

But yeah, super excited for this.

What in the world!? Keith Parkinson was the shit.

That TenTonHammer thing.... wat

Based on that quote, if it's something other than a beta invite, I would be surprised and annoyed. haha

Freki

Well here's the thing. Smedley said they would get the game in our hands before the end of the year. What the hell does that even mean, no one knows.

Judging by how Planetside 2 was handled SOE will release an early version to the public and develop it as an ongoing process...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
All the buzz is for something un-WoW.

Art is revealed... they made it look like WoW.

*sigh*

spirity

It does bear repeating that this was an artists tribute or reimagining of another piece of art. It has not been stated whether or not this is the art direction for EQ Next.

Ashodin

It does bear repeating that this was an artists tribute or reimagining of another piece of art. It has not been stated whether or not this is the art direction for EQ Next.

Yep. It's just this artist's rendition of the game, not official artwork. Something to celebrate EQ Next coming... soon!

Iadien

Judging by how Planetside 2 was handled SOE will release an early version to the public and develop it as an ongoing process...

This is what I expect to happen as well.

I think beta is coming very soon after this reveal.

Iadien

Which is probably the fastest any MMO has ever revealed and went into Beta.

There are just too many hints that it will happen. I'm trying not to get too hyped (EQ was my first mmo GF and it was a messy breakup) but Smedley's many ramblings, mixed with Georgeson talking about not wanting to tip off their competitors too soon, so they wanted to keep the game in a "black box" until they were closer to release, and also Georgeson mentioned that marketing has big plans which should start around SoE Live.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

That's a relief.

What a wonderful birthday present.

My greatest fear for this game is that Georgeson will turn it into a macrotransaction theme park like he did with EQ2. Want some cool armor or weapons? Tough shit. Go buy it on the marketplace. And forget about raiding with him at the helm. Hopefully they learned their lesson this time and didn't build themselves a lemon of a graphics engine.

Iadien

My greatest fear for this game is that Georgeson will turn it into a macrotransaction theme park like he did with EQ2. Want some cool armor or weapons? Tough shit. Go buy it on the marketplace. And forget about raiding with him at the helm. Hopefully they learned their lesson this time and didn't build themselves a lemon of a graphics engine.

1. sandbox
2. marketplace was changed for the better recently. Also, the matrix will not be the same.
3. raiding will be in, not sure where you got the idea that he ruined raiding.
4. Forgelight is a good engine.

Logash

One of the biggest reasons i'm getting this on PS4. My PC is not as strong as the PS4 and the prospect of playing an MMO on my console is pretty exciting.

1. sandbox
2. marketplace was changed for the better recently. Also, the matrix will not be the same.
3. raiding will be in, not sure where you got the idea that he ruined raiding.
4. Forgelight is a good engine.

EQ2 raiding is atrocious. Its gone downhill before georgeson took over but he really put the final nails in the coffin.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't really put much value in that site's opinion. They don't even use the proper definition for MMO.

Iadien

Sure it was. He was senior producer for the game. He made the marketplace crap a success though which is why I think he is still around.

I'm curious, do you actually raid?

Georgeson is a tad busy with EQ Next, and has been for the past 2 years. I highly doubt he has much to do with raids. =p

I'm curious, do you actually raid?

Georgeson is a tad busy with EQ Next, and has been for the past 2 years. I highly doubt he has much to do with raids. =p

I did. Hes not senior producer for EQ2 now anyways. They've had a couple since he left, but I haven't played the game for quite some time. The servers are dead.

The Forgelight engine can handle some tremendously large battles in PS2, so I think a lil raid will be just fine.

Jarnet87

still remember my first few days in the game with my High Elf Pally. Running around during the night(AN ACTUAL IN GAME NIGHT) with the night vision. It was so awesome. Running down the small little trails and then turning around with a huge NOPE when I saw something bad.

EQN needs to go back to some of the basic principals set by the original Game. I hope that Brad Mcquaid has some sort of input in this, I know people shit on him for Vanguard. But he was a true visionary back then, and a lot of the things in Vanguard are quiet good had the game not been rushed out the door the last 6 months.

Brad is back on EQ, but I couldn't find anything about whether that was on EQ1 or on Next. I'd like to think its Next, waste of his talent of they got him working on the original game.

The Forgelight engine can handle some tremendously large battles in PS2, so I think a lil raid will be just fine.

Raid mechanics are a whole other story. Instead of creating fun, dynamic raid content they just threw in instant fail curses and dots. Improperly designed raid gear also made raids near impossible before they adjusted, and reorganized the whole adornment system.

Hopefully the increase in power helps open up new avenues for gameplay instead of replacing skill with instant wipe mechanics to give the illusion of difficulty or the need for skilled players.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
That old Everquest art, what a nostalgia rush it gives me heh.

Iadien

Brad is back on EQ, but I couldn't find anything about whether that was on EQ1 or on Next. I'd like to think its Next, waste of his talent of they got him working on the original game.

He's on EQ1.

turk128

https://www.everquestnext.com/

pktBDSu.jpg

This is a re-working of one of Keith Parkinsons original. You all probably recognise it. Looks like the artist has never played Everquest. Firiona Vie with a big ass scimitar and a bow? And her face is all kinds of messed up. Terrible.

Fingers crossed this doesn't hint at the art direction for EQNext. I don't want shoulderpads bigger than my head and cartoon characters.
Yeah, they're going for the D&D/Pathfinder new art direction (that kobold is a dead giveaway).

The Keith Parkinsons Larry Elmore influenced style fits EQ so much better.

All my mmo hopes are riding on this game. I'm not really sure I can get interested in another themepark mmo after ffxiv.

I mean Wildstar looks good, but I played that game already, you know what I mean?

Iadien

All my mmo hopes are riding on this game. I'm not really sure I can get interested in another themepark mmo after ffxiv.

I mean Wildstar looks good, but I played that game already, you know what I mean?

Yeah. WS isn't bad, it just isn't offering many new ideas.

Vestal

Gold Member

last I heard he went back to consulting on vanguard for the f2p push then got moved to EQ team.

hope he has a hand in eqn. I want the VISION(tm) back

Darryl

Banned
https://www.everquestnext.com/

pktBDSu.jpg

This is a re-working of one of Keith Parkinsons original. You all probably recognise it. Looks like the artist has never played Everquest. Firiona Vie with a big ass scimitar and a bow? And her face is all kinds of messed up. Terrible.

Fingers crossed this doesn't hint at the art direction for EQNext. I don't want shoulderpads bigger than my head and cartoon characters.

holy hell, this is awful.

Darryl

Banned
God damn, that's some awfully looking like a cartoonish wow clone art.

yea and if this is the concept art they're using as a foundation to build EQ Next on, in practice it's probably going to look even more like WoW. it's possible that when they said their game was originally shaping up to be a WoW-clone, they were completely serious and when they decided to shake the game up all they had time to do was work on the core gameplay systems instead of re-doing all of the assets they created. just really disappointing. i can except sub-par art direction in normal 5-6 hour games but in MMOs i need a good balance between the two.

Ashodin

yea and if this is the concept art they're using as a foundation to build EQ Next on, in practice it's probably going to look even more like WoW. it's possible that when they said their game was originally shaping up to be a WoW-clone, they were completely serious and when they decided to shake the game up all they had time to do was work on the core gameplay systems instead of re-doing all of the assets they created. just really disappointing. i can except sub-par art direction in normal 5-6 hour games but in MMOs i need a good balance between the two.

It's not. It's been said many times in this thread that it's not.

The original EQ didn't look very much like the original painting, so I'm not too worried.

Wasn't a huge fan of the original painting - stylistically, sure, but the Erudite's philospher pose looking away in the middle of battle, FV and the dark elf looking at the viewer directly? And no sense of motion.

The new one is better in these regards but really blows it with FV and the orc.

Iadien

It's not. It's been said many times in this thread that it's not.

Yeah, but it is SoE's fault though, releasing this artwork when we have no in game screenshots (unless you count that model with the giant armor which validates some people's worries), just leads to speculation. Bad SoE!

Top Bottom