• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMORPG.com gets sneak peek at Everquest Next at E3. Calls it best of show.

Jarnet87

eq.jpg

The original for comparison. Brings back the memories. Always had great art for the original game and expansions.

Jarnet87

Also, no erudite on the new pic, racism ! :p

Lol yeah where is the Erudite. I find it funny that EQ had a race that was all black, and a lot of the MMOs post EQ to now you can barely make a character with dark skin. I think it was Neverwinter MMO that was the first in awhile that I could actually made a dude that looked black.

massoluk

Banned
Here's hoping SOE comes to their sense and get rid of Halfling Rangers. They are unnatural.

Bloody halflings, killing all the hill giants.

Saw the art earlier, didn't even occur to me honestly that they'd be going that route with the game models. I'd sure hope not.

I can't believe it's been like 8 years since Parkinson died.

Yes, it is recent. Also, be on the lookout in a week or two when Jira and I will be debuting the SOE Live + EQN hype thread.

Omg, so ready

Ive never really played Everquest but I do love mmos. What kind of MMO is Everquest, is that a sandbox or theme park RPG more or less like WoW?

Ive never really played Everquest but I do love mmos. What kind of MMO is Everquest, is that a sandbox or theme park RPG more or less like WoW?

Everquest really was kinda like an inbetween of sandbox mmos and theme parks. WoW really kinda set theme parks in stone but it borrowed a ton from Everquest. Everquest though still was more open game and felt a bit sandboxy but not as much as previous games. Like I said, it felt kinda like a transitional period in MMOs.

Everquest Next is rumored to be going for more old school sandbox like world

Einbroch

Banned

Not much like WoW. I mean, there are classes and races and stuff, but there really wasn't a quest line so much. There were quests, but the best experience of the game was simply getting a group of friends/guildmates together and raiding an open-world dungeon (not instanced).

The world was fantastic. Towns had so much atmosphere. No fast travel (outside of specific classes that could teleport you to certain locations). Some ideas are antiquated (basically forced grouping), but it was a fantastic game and was much more open world and free form than the likes of WoW, but it's not a true sandbox.

And the music. Damn, the music.

Vestal

Gold Member
Not much like WoW. I mean, there are classes and races and stuff, but there really wasn't a quest line so much. There were quests, but the best experience of the game was simply getting a group of friends/guildmates together and raiding an open-world dungeon (not instanced).

The world was fantastic. Towns had so much atmosphere. No fast travel (outside of specific classes that could teleport you to certain locations). Some ideas are antiquated (basically forced grouping), but it was a fantastic game and was much more open world and free form than the likes of WoW, but it's not a true sandbox.

still remember my first few days in the game with my High Elf Pally. Running around during the night(AN ACTUAL IN GAME NIGHT) with the night vision. It was so awesome. Running down the small little trails and then turning around with a huge NOPE when I saw something bad.

EQN needs to go back to some of the basic principals set by the original Game. I hope that Brad Mcquaid has some sort of input in this, I know people shit on him for Vanguard. But he was a true visionary back then, and a lot of the things in Vanguard are quiet good had the game not been rushed out the door the last 6 months.

massoluk

Banned

Yup, first time ascending and descending Plane of Karana-High Hold Pass-Commonland was something majestic, especially because of the accompanying music.

crozier

I don't think any dungeon will top Crushbone. So many fond memories of getting curb-stomped as a ranger there when some idiot trained Crush and Dvinn to the entrance.

Apath

So, is anyone going to play p1999 with me?
I have a level 30 dwarf Paladin named Apathe. Message me if you see me on and I'll gladly help you out with levels and such.
Project 1999 was a noble attempt, but the low population kept it from really emulating the oldschool EQ experience. It was great when it first came out and there were tons of lower levels, but it would be hard to start now.

I know a guy who actively raids in it and he is having a blast. For him, it's just like the old days.
P1999 usually has 700-1000 people online. Some zones are empty (random dungeons and large open transition zones like West Karana), but the regular zones like Greater Faydark, Freeport, East Commons, North Ro, Oasis, etc are full of people. Crushbone and Mistmoore can be huge pains in the ass due to being overcrowded.

Vestal

Gold Member
What I miss the most about EQ1 was the Uniqueness of Items. You had items that could be used over the course of various expansions. None of this spreedsheet add some stats bullshit we get now.

Stuff like the Mana stone, the Ruby Armor, Various weapons, various epics and what not.

Heh, walking from Qeynos to Freeport was amazing. I remember walking through Kithicor Forest at night and having to hug the walls tight so the higher lvl undead mobs would not kill me. Heart pounding moment I tell you.

Vestal

Gold Member
I don't think any dungeon will top Crushbone. So many fond memories of getting curb-stomped as a ranger there when some idiot trained Crush and Dvinn to the entrance.

bah.. SolB and the trains from HELL!!!.

KING TO ZONE!!!!

BigDug13

Heh, walking from Qeynos to Freeport was amazing. I remember walking through Kithicor Forest at night and having to hug the walls tight so the higher lvl undead mobs would not kill me. Heart pounding moment I tell you.

Or typing "/time" to see if there was enough daylight left to make it across.

Apath

What I miss the most about EQ1 was the Uniqueness of Items. You had items that could be used over the course of various expansions. None of this spreedsheet add some stats bullshit we get now.

Stuff like the Mana stone, the Ruby Armor, Various weapons, various epics and what not.
Mana Stone was imbalanced and removed after like the first week, hahaha.

Old Sebilis is my favorite zone definitely. It had so many camps, tons of loot and a great design.

Current EQ Live is not that bad but the spark is definitely gone. I got my beastlord to 92 (current cap is 100) and again just lost interest. It's a shame because I had some great moments from the game since I started back in 99. While I doubt I'll play EQ Next, I'll at least give it a look to see what they're planning to do with it.

LtOrange

There is such a large untapped market for a sandbox mmo to really thrive.....I think SOE can pull it off. Emphasis on groups, less of a focus on quests, and no fast travel is all I ask. If they bring back some of the magic of playing in a virtual world similar to EQ1, FFXI, and Vanguard I will be really happy.

spirity

Mana Stone was imbalanced and removed after like the first week, hahaha.

Most of the gear, even the imbalanced stuff, was never removed from live servers however. Never patched out. I had my Circlet of Shadow, the pre-nerf 0 cast version, for ages. I think I eventually sold it for 150k.

Apath

Ruby Legs were my rarest item for a long time. And yeah, Mana Stone got pulled with a quickness. So did the Fungi Tunic.
Nah, Fungi tunic was a staple twink item for years. fungal Staff got nerfed to not being clickable from inventory though, which made its value plummet.
Most of the gear, even the imbalanced stuff, was never removed from live servers however. Never patched out. I had my Circlet of Shadow, the pre-nerf 0 cast version, for ages. I think I eventually sold it for 150k.
I should have been more clear that by removed, I didn't mean they removed the item from players who already had it.

I once had the gnome illusion mask and sold it for a measly 100k. :\ I could have gotten at least 1 million if I waited a bit. Scepter of Destruction ran for about 1 million after the Sleeper was awakened. It used to proc at lvl 1 and wasn't lore so it was pretty damn good for a twink.

That's another thing that I loved about EQ: making insane twinks! I had a level 1 Froglok Paladin in nearly full NToV gear. It was so much fun!

Man

Yeah they released the new art early to prevent shock at reveal. We saw already a couple of years ago that it would have a more cartoony style.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Rest of the wallpaper:
7z9pccO.jpg

lpKVD69.jpg

KO4kR5x.jpg

Ten Ton Hammer hyping up something, Possibly beta invites... who knows.

The date of EverQuest Next’s public reveal by Sony Online Entertainment is quickly rushing towards us. During SOE Live, on August 2nd, at noon Pacific, the world of MMORPGs will be changed forever. If you’re not going to be able to make it to SOE Live this year, then listen very carefully to what I say next. You really want to be here when the announcement is made. I can’t say why and I can’t say what may be here (ALLEGEDLY!) but you want to keep your browser pointed to Ten Ton Hammer. As the date gets closer, I’ll be sure to keep everyone informed. (ZOMG, do I know secrets that would kill any normal mortal to contain!)

Yeah they released the new art early to prevent shock at reveal. We saw already a couple of years ago that it would have a more cartoony style.

The artist of the painting is not even working on the game, it's his interpretation. Sure, it could look similar, but I wouldn't freak out just yet if you hate it.

Senior Art Director discussing the art for EQN

Also, for those stating they scrapped everything, that's not true, they scrapped gameplay shit.

Massively: Let's start with EQ Next. When did you make the call to scrap everything? What was it that made you choose to do so?

A year and a half ago, we made that decision. I didn't get to cover this in the keynote, so I should mention it here. The engine and underlying technology has not changed. A lot of the guts and infrastructure are staying the same. What we're really changing is what the game is all about, all the design elements. We made one fundamental shift to emergent gameplay.

The fans need to realize that if you don't change the nature of what these games are, you're not going to change that core behavior. We want to make games that last more than 15 years. That's why we made the decision to change it.

Kurod

Banned
I hope EQN has that early EQ feel. I miss the old days of running around night time Qeynos blind with a firebeetle eye in my hand and learning to rebind autoattack thanks to a mishap with the priest of discord.

I still have my EQ1 Beta Phase 3 CD that I had to pay 989 Studios S/H for. Really looking forward to EQNext and I'd probably be at the SOE Live event if I wasn't already going to be on vacation elsewhere.

massoluk

Banned
I hope EQN has that early EQ feel. I miss the old days of running around night time Qeynos blind with a firebeetle eye in my hand and learning to rebind autoattack thanks to a mishap with the priest of discord.

Oh man. Firebeetles, that brings back memory. Let's me jog down my memory lane.

Flippy Darkpaw., "Sow plz", the barbarian dude with pet polar bear, getting stunned by gnoll lariat, trapped door at Befallen, first time meeting giant, first time meeting mobs that outrun SoW, first time riding boats, first time at elf city, first time getting lost at elf city, first time falling down to death at elf city, Ambassador Dvinn' is a total misconn, "oh fuck, I hit craft button and my sewing kits got all the valuable materials."

spirity

One niggle I can't remove about the art is this:

If you look at the artists mock up of Keiths original - and you look at the photo Ashodin posted - you'll notice that Firiona's armguard is the same design as the 3d model.

sagat2036

Gotta say what that artwork is such a turn off. I cant believe WoW still some how influenced these guys. Oh well cant say iam surprised.

Just hope that doesnt translate to in game oversized shoulderpads, weapons, and boots yo. HA. Big handed women /gross

Original box art is classic. Someone post kunark box art portrait.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Gotta say what that artwork is such a turn off. I cant believe Warhammer still some how influenced these guys. Oh well cant say iam surprised.

Just hope that doesnt translate to in game oversized shoulderpads, weapons, and boots yo. HA. Big handed women /gross

Original box art is classic. Someone post kunark box art portrait.

Fixed!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
"special tribute art"

More like "special tribute to wow art"

Those armor designs are straight ripped off. Plus I do not associate EQ with that art style wtf?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.everquestnext.com/

pktBDSu.jpg

This is a re-working of one of Keith Parkinsons original. You all probably recognise it. Looks like the artist has never played Everquest. Firiona Vie with a big ass scimitar and a bow? And her face is all kinds of messed up. Terrible.

Fingers crossed this doesn't hint at the art direction for EQNext. I don't want shoulderpads bigger than my head and cartoon characters.

Definitely not the art style I was hoping for. I hope they don't pursue this direction.

Here's an actual image of a model for the game, look at it, it's way more "realistic" than the art above.

I really hope they don't go for the Facebook art style. I hate that kind of shit.

Burt

I really don't know what you guys see in that art from the original. I do like the palette, but there's just something off with the whole style. I can't think of a word for it. It isn't bland (although I think the character designs are pretty mediocre, but that's probably more a result of age than lack of creativity at creation), it's just like... painting's uncanny valley. It looks like a mural painted on the side of a carnival carriage or something.

But yeah, super excited for this.

Top Bottom