• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMORPG.com gets sneak peek at Everquest Next at E3. Calls it best of show.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Haha jesus man, talk about condescending. First off you are arguing why you enjoyed those mechanics not why they were difficult. If you had read the many times I attempted to clarify earlier in the thread that I wasn't arguing for these things to not exist anymore or that they were bad and no fun. My stance was entirely that the article I first replied about was saying that the leveling experience in modern MMO's isn't as difficult as it was in old MMOs and I disagree with that because I have a different idea of what difficulty is.

I feel like I'm not understanding your argument, because I can't comprehend how someone could hold the opinion that leveling in modern MMOs is just as difficult as older MMOs like EQ. Each individual character is objectively more powerful in games like WoW. You can do more things all by yourself. You have more abilities and you are more capable. Regardless of the time commitment, the mere fact that you can (and are often encouraged to) level up to the cap without ever interacting with another player in modern games demonstrates just how much easier leveling is.

Just because something doesn't qualify as difficult to me doesn't mean I didn't find it fun or worthwhile, I just don't like making up some weird "hardcore" difficulty for games like EQ just to judge newer games because they don't fall in line with your own personal tastes.

If anything what you posted is just more support for my point, none of that stuff you were listing is what I would count as difficult. It's time consuming and that's fine. I also had alot of fun partaking in those kinds of things but at no point did I stop and think man, this is really hard. I am all for making death important and requiring a high time investment to keep people caring about what they do but they don't directly relate to how difficult each experience point gained is. They may make you care more about each point but they were just as hard to obtain either way.

I guess my argument is that time consumption is one aspect of difficulty. It's another part of the barrier that prevents you from doing something. I might agree with you if the time consuming aspect was static, but it's not. It's not like the game made you take a time out for 30 minutes every time you die. If you had taken the necessary provisions, you could be back up and running in a couple of minutes, but for those who weren't prepared, they had to face a major setback.

Did you raid Plane of Fear back in the day? You never thought breaking it was hard? In the early days, I remember countless breaks that went horribly wrong and we had to spend hours trying to get a foothold. This wouldn't happen these days when you all respawn with all your gear intact and almost zero penalties to speak of.

It was never hard to get a 96% rez, it just took time to find a cleric and pay them. It wasn't hard to retain my body because there were plenty of invisibility spells and you could sneak through most areas. For any you couldn't sneak through you could pay a necro to summon your body. Trains didn't make anything harder, like you said they were just a setback that took time to recover from.

In the later years, it obviously got easier and easier to find a 96% res, but Reviviscence (96% res spell) didn't even exist until the first expansion. In my experience, it didn't become super easy to get a res until the Planes of Power expansion introduced the Plane of Knowledge transport hub, and graveyards that allowed players to summon their own corpses. Up until that expansion, getting your corpse back and getting it ressed in a timely fashion could still be very difficult.

It doesn't matter if you hated these things, if you loved them, if you think they added to the community and adventure or that they made you fear failing and care more. None of that has any relevance to if these things were difficult or not. I consider difficulty to be something that requires you to change the way you are playing or develop better strategies with better teamwork. Its something you need to play better(in whatever ways you can) to overcome.

I think it did, though. The fear of failing made people play differently. It added an element of stress that just doesn't exist in games where death penalties are nearly non-existent.

Dark or Demon's souls is considered to be a difficult game because every encounter requires your attention, you need to react promptly to what it throws at you and it can kill you at a moments notice if you do not do so. It isn't considered hard because it takes 3 hours to recover fully from each death you happen to incur.

Do you think that the Souls games would be considered just as difficult if your souls stayed with you when you died?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Difficult: hard to deal with, manage, or overcome..... sounds like EQ to me. =p

I'm still curious as to which MMO he finds difficult compared to EQ.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Difficult: hard to deal with, manage, or overcome..... sounds like EQ to me. =p

I'm still curious as to which MMO he finds difficult compared to EQ.

Well, he did say that raids in WoW could be just as difficult as raids in EQ... so not very difficult in his opinion? I really don't know.

Einbroch

Banned
Well, he did say that raids in WoW could be just as difficult as raids in EQ... so not very difficult in his opinion? I really don't know.

Old raids in WoW were very difficult, sometimes impossible except for the very elite. I'd say that raids today are still fairly challenging, especially heroic mode.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Old raids in WoW were very difficult, sometimes impossible except for the very elite. I'd say that raids today are still fairly challenging, especially heroic mode.

Oh, definitely. Old school Molten Core was no walk in the park by any measure.

Does WoW even have big raids in the traditional sense these days? I don't follow the game much anymore, but I thought I remember reading they dropped the player limit to 10 players for "raid" content.

Einbroch

Banned
Oh, definitely. Old school Molten Core was no walk in the park by any measure.

Does WoW even have big raids in the traditional sense these days? I don't follow the game much anymore, but I thought I remember reading they dropped the player limit to 10 players for "raid" content.

10 and 25. I personally think 25 is perfect. Maybe 20 would be the best. Still large but not too huge. 40 man was cool, but there was just too much room for error on an individual level and it got a little cluster-fucky.

There's nothing wrong with regular mounts used outdoors. Flying mounts can gtfo though.

If you had said that to my 2007 self, I woulda thought you were nuts, but the cost is too high for community and PvP. I agree.

Which is where I got the "fewer difficult" comment from. It's ONLY that now. Well, that and soul-sucking apathy and ennui (guild killers with a far higher death toll than any boss, I might add).

Einbroch

Banned
If you had said that to my 2007 self, I woulda thought you were nuts, but the cost is too high for community and PvP. I agree.

Flying mounts ruined open world PVP. Absolutely ruined it.

The only positive flying mounts give is the ability to easily grieve low level players by swooping in, one shotting them, then flying away.

spirity

This isn't a want list, just a few thoughts about what I appreciated in EQ.

* Vendor diving.
You know what I mean you cheapskates. Hitting up the vendors to see if someone sold a FBSS by accident. Most of the time you'd get nothing, but often you'd get loads of spider silk, and rarely that sweet sweet item for a couple of gold. It really was the thrill of the chase - you'd never know what to expect. Pro-tip - never do it when the servers came back up after a patch.

* Travel was difficult
This made the world feel larger. Sure, you could call on a druid or wizzy, but they weren't always available. (As an aside, I had a Druid. I never made bank by porting people around for plat. A lot of people just ran off when we arrived, sigh. Most of the time, if I actually spent the time farming or xping, I would have been better off).

* Tricks and tips
As you leveled up, you accumulated a load of knowledge about the game, its systems and mechanics. Everything from when you dropped a sword on the ground (yes! it fell to the ground! imagine that shit!) it pointed north, to the art of pulling. And that was an art. You subliminally grew to understand how much dps you were doing and how to control your aggro by your mistakes. You eventually could 'feel' your aggro before you drew it. EverQuest was the epitome of an onion with its many layers. At lvl 50, you knew who was ebayed and who wasn't.

* Dungeons
Firstly, traps. Ok, they won't get you a second time. Usually. But what is a dungeon without traps? And while we're talking traps, what about those fake walls huh? Pretty cool. Secondly, the lack of linearity in dungeon design. We're talking complex, sprawling affairs where you could get lost even when you think you know the run of the place. Huge caverns that could see you ding 30 times. I swear I saw Gollum in Guk one time.

* The loot
Some of those camps were bullshit I have to admit, particularly when they involved your epic which had class-defining attributes and you absolutely needed it. But aside from that, I loved the loot. Especially the clickies. God damn, did I love those toys. I also liked the fact that you needed a separate, crafted set of gear for resists. Who remembers blue diamond, huh? And loot that you kept for 20+ levels because it was so damned good.

* Spell names were a celebration of the English language
None of this Summon Pet, Summon Pet II, Summon Pet III nonsense. It was Cavorting Bones, Convoke Shadow, Emmisary of Thule. And not only were the spell names wonderfully evocative, they were often named after characters from Norraths history (you saw this in item names too of course). Love the way the lore is tied in with the gameplay in such an unintrusive manner.

Humm, there's probably another 10 things I could add here. EQ did a lot of things wrong, no question. But it did so much right too.

While that is a great list and a good start...

BRING BACK REAL TWINKING AND BUFFS, jfc, throw away all this 100% no drop soulbound crap, make me able to actually turn a secondary character into a BADASS again, I've fucking earned it by reaching level 60 after 150days of played :p

Fungis, Proc weapons and unique gear was sooooooooooooooooooo enticing, I can't stand this random number generator loot and iLVL bullshit.

Yeah good call, can't believe i left that out.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
My wishlist and things needed to make me come back:

Boats, no fast travel. (made the world feel alive)
Classes with ability to TP to specific areas. (made you have to communicate and barter)
Feign Death pulling / Enchanter and Bard charming. (best way to reward skilled groups)
No instances. NONE
More buffs like Spirit of Wolf - no mounts.
Same dying penalty while keeping clerics with Res. (maaaybe increase the exp regained at early levels)

I think that covers it.

Fuck yes, I love everything about this post.

Making travel easy is the top thing to me that ruins the immersion of a game world. One bind for death should be the closest you get to "fast travel". You want to port somewhere? Find a Druid or a Wizard. Mounts... probably ok. Flying mounts? Hell no... absolutely not. No flight paths either. All that stuff makes the world feel too small and "gamey". Make people work to get places. Give people a reason to fight to an area of a world and spend substantial time there once they've arrived. Make people plan why they want to go somewhere rather than just going there on a whim because it's easy. When I first started in EQ I tried to get my character from Qeynos to Freeport at level 1 using nothing other than the (inaccurate) paper map that game in the box. It was terrifying, compelling, and rewarding. It was FUN. It made a lasting impression on me to this day... I loved that trek across the world in sheer awe of the scale of it all and the terrifying danger around every turn. Fucking Kizdean Gix slaughtered me when I reached the Western Commonlands and sent me all the way back to try again... I don't remember the name of characters in movies I see by the time I walk out of a theater, but you can be damn sure I remember that son of a bitch Kizdean Gix's name some 14 years later.

I HATED Plane of Knowledge. It was a terrible thing to introduce to EQ... it made it a game instead of a world.

High five to the guy who called out twinking as well. Twinking is FUN! I've earned it! Let me do what I want with my items! Another high five to the dude mentioning Plane of Fear breaks... good god, some of my favorite memories in gaming came from PoF. Doing corpse recoveries after a break gone bad in there was nightmare inducing. Good luck getting any sleep for school or work the next day... you're facing hours of meticulously executed corpse recovery, and if you leave then there isn't going to be anyone to help you. I don't know if I have time to commit to something like that these days, but dammit I want to.

Shit, I get so nostalgic when talking about EQ - I love reading the posts in this thread.

* Vendor diving.
You know what I mean you cheapskates. Hitting up the vendors to see if someone sold a FBSS by accident. Most of the time you'd get nothing, but often you'd get loads of spider silk, and rarely that sweet sweet item for a couple of gold. It really was the thrill of the chase - you'd never know what to expect. Pro-tip - never do it when the servers came back up after a patch.

* Travel was difficult
This made the world feel larger. Sure, you could call on a druid or wizzy, but they weren't always available. (As an aside, I had a Druid. I never made bank by porting people around for plat. A lot of people just ran off when we arrived, sigh. Most of the time, if I actually spent the time farming or xping, I would have been better off).

* Tricks and tips
As you leveled up, you accumulated a load of knowledge about the game, its systems and mechanics. Everything from when you dropped a sword on the ground (yes! it fell to the ground! imagine that shit!) it pointed north, to the art of pulling. And that was an art. You subliminally grew to understand how much dps you were doing and how to control your aggro by your mistakes. You eventually could 'feel' your aggro before you drew it. EverQuest was the epitome of an onion with its many layers. At lvl 50, you knew who was ebayed and who wasn't.

* Dungeons
Firstly, traps. Ok, they won't get you a second time. Usually. But what is a dungeon without traps? And while we're talking traps, what about those fake walls huh? Pretty cool. Secondly, the lack of linearity in dungeon design. We're talking complex, sprawling affairs where you could get lost even when you think you know the run of the place. Huge caverns that could see you ding 30 times. I swear I saw Gollum in Guk one time.

* The loot
Some of those camps were bullshit I have to admit, particularly when they involved your epic which had class-defining attributes and you absolutely needed it. But aside from that, I loved the loot. Especially the clickies. God damn, did I love those toys. I also liked the fact that you needed a separate, crafted set of gear for resists. Who remembers blue diamond, huh? And loot that you kept for 20+ levels because it was so damned good.

None of this Summon Pet, Summon Pet II, Summon Pet III nonsense. It was Cavorting Bones, Convoke Shadow, Emmisary of Thule. And not only were the spell names wonderfully evocative, they were often named after characters from Norraths history (you saw this in item names too of course). Love the way the lore is tied in with the gameplay in such an unintrusive manner.

Humm, there's probably another 10 things I could add here. EQ did a lot of things wrong, no question. But it did so much right too.

Agree on all of that. The environments and populations felt natural in a way, shaped by chaos and time, rather than an artificial construct refined by a designer into a gently sloping difficulty curve. There were hill giants and griffins in the newbie area that would wreak havoc on the unwary. You learned early never to relax your guard; danger was everywhere, especially if you didn't remap your auto-attack key from "A" to something less easily pressed by accident while you had that level 50 npc targeted and you were typing to get a quest.

And even the design missteps had their upsides. There were mummies that would give you a disease that lasted for an hour real time and halted your health regeneration, forcing you to interact with people to get it cured. Totally unfair numbers of "social" enemies clumped together would make for completely bonkers fights even at low levels.. And you'd win some of those, and the satisfaction of doing so was off the charts. I still remember some of these battles more vividly than any others - not against bosses or in raids or whatever - just one group against a seemingly impossible horde of common enemies.

There were numerous non-explicit goals, like getting your faction high enough so that you could enter a certain city...except for that one group in the city that would still hate you, so you had to stay wary when entering...

The lack of a pre-defined quest progression was liberating. You could do whatever you wanted without the feeling that you were straying from the optimal exp/loot path.

The infrequency of genuinely good loot made loot a more satisfying part of the game, oddly. Items were no longer just disposable pieces of junk that you upgrade via quest every n levels. And the desire to get specific items found only from certain areas or monsters encouraged travel and gave you a reason to seek out varied environments and experiences, rather than slogging through one quest chain after another, gradually moving through the world in a straight line drawn by the designer.

Been trying a few times but never really followed through, but is it possible to get back in EQ again?

IF you're looking for a classic EQ experience, I'd recommend an emulated server like Project 1999

The live version is unrecognizable as Everquest. Pretty much everything has been "revamped" and so many features tacked on that it's not even worth a look.

IF you're looking for a classic EQ experience, I'd recommend an emulated server like Project 1999

The live version is unrecognizable as Everquest. Pretty much everything has been "revamped" and so many features tacked on that it's not even worth a look.

Project1999 is nice if you got to start early but I would not recommend it currently just trying to get back into it. Got a level 17 Shaman and it was just too much work competing with twinks to level and what not. I guess its just like classic!

I pretty much want everything everyone's been agreeing with on this page :p

I'd only add that I want a return to lithe, serpentine iksars of Kunark, instead of the ninja turtles in Luclin and iguana wrestlers from EQ2

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Project 1999 was a noble attempt, but the low population kept it from really emulating the oldschool EQ experience. It was great when it first came out and there were tons of lower levels, but it would be hard to start now.

I know a guy who actively raids in it and he is having a blast. For him, it's just like the old days.

Been trying a few times but never really followed through, but is it possible to get back in EQ again?

I recently stumbled upon EQMac's PoK server Al'Kabor, which is pretty much Everquest from about 2001-2002. It's got a decent population and people are super friendly. It's a little tricky getting it to run on Windows but not that hard. Here's a good guide: http://www.guardianhq.com/othergames/everquest-al'kabor-server-eqmac-for-pc/.

Also the server is officially supported by SOE so that's nice.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
This damn thread got me all hyped up, so I took some time tonight to log on and kill my old nemesis Kizdean Gix. Fuck this guy...

yaztPBj.jpg

Reading this topic has made it very hard for me not to install EQ and log back into my character, even though I know it'll be nothing like the old days... :-( EQ and SWG are by far the games I've sunk the most time into; if they combine aspects of both, my family may not be seeing me for a while...

spirity

Chances this game gets ruined in favor of accessibility and casual friendliness (like Wow after 2 years): 100%

Unfortunately, that is what seems to happen to most (or every? not sure about Eve) MMO. Over time, the developers get a bee in their bonnets about streamlining and accessibility. Before long, players will inevitably look back to when the MMO first started, long for the days before all the nerfs, and the call for a 'classic server' comes up.

I played WoW the other week for the first time in years. I kinda missed my hunter and I wanted to roll another one. Here's what I found

* Spells/abilities automatically pop onto your hotbar when you ding, no more visiting a vendor
* Pick from 1 of three spec trees. No cherry picking a few abilities from beatmastery, and a few from survival etc. You are exclusively either BM, Survival or Marks.
* Ammo (arrows in my case) is no longer bought from a vendor, or powerful ammo from tradeskills. You just.. magically produce an arrow when you draw your bow
* As a ranged class, I can only use a ranged weapon now. I can't also dual wield swords anymore, the slots dont exist
* The xp curve is insane. I still had a bunch of quests left and all the mobs were going green and grey. Just by playing the game, you outpace the levels of everything around you, its completely out of whack. I was around lvl 20. (Interestingly, after a bit of research I found out there's an NPC in Stormwind that will allow you to lock your xp so you have some control over your leveling. It costs 10 gold to turn xp off, and 10 to turn it back on again. Wtf? Why not allow players to do that for free?)
* A load of other stuff

The funny thing is, I played WoW at launch, and even then I found the leveling process to be easy and streamlined (but to be fair, I'm an EQ vet so thats no surprise. Electrodes on the testicles, uphill both ways, back in my day etc). So it amazes me how they could make the leveling process even more streamlined than what it was. Blizzard has effectively diluted water, and I didn't think that was even possible.

Went back for nostalgia.

Made a Monk.

Tried to make the cross-continent trip to Freeport.

Forgot to bank my gear.

Died.

Quit.

Somnia

I miss sitting at the third light in the EC Tunnel selling my gear and wheeling/dealing. I was so good at buying low and selling high, made a killing. Then Luclin happened and ruined that.

I use to farm Fungi Tunics to sell to twinks.

Comandr

* Vendor diving.

* Travel was difficult

* Tricks and tips

* Dungeons

* The loot

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I'm hopeful from the tidbits we have beard so far, resurrecting that old eq experience for a modern age. On a modern console. *drool* Jesus Christ it needs to be August.

the day someone correctly births ultima onlne again is the day i get beyond excited...not the abomination it is now but the prior old school version - i could never get into everquest but hopefully it does something special

Jarnet87

Once I quit around GoW it was over. I tried coming back like 2 years later and it was just so weird, couldn't do it. Tried P99 for about 30 minutes before I said to myself I just can't put myself through this pain again.

spirity

https://www.everquestnext.com/

pktBDSu.jpg

This is a re-working of one of Keith Parkinsons original. You all probably recognise it. Looks like the artist has never played Everquest. Firiona Vie with a big ass scimitar and a bow? And her face is all kinds of messed up. Terrible.

Fingers crossed this doesn't hint at the art direction for EQNext. I don't want shoulderpads bigger than my head and cartoon characters.

Ashodin

pktBDSu.jpg

This is a re-working of one of Keith Parkinsons original. You all probably recognise it. Looks like the artist has never played Everquest. Firiona Vie with a big ass scimitar and a bow? And her face is all kinds of messed up. Terrible.

Fingers crossed this doesn't hint at the art direction for EQNext. I don't want shoulderpads bigger than my head and cartoon characters.

Naw man, that is just an artist's reimagining of an older piece, not artwork for the new game son.

spirity

It -is- another artists re-working of an original piece, so that doesn't necessarily mean that's what the game itself will look like. And what you see is either someone who's using poetic license, or has never played EQ. (Look at the Dark Elf for example - she has horns for some reason).

So don't lose hope. (I am a bit nervy however).

Ashodin

It -is- another artists re-working of an original piece, so that doesn't necessarily mean that's what the game itself will look like. And what you see is either someone who's using poetic license, or has never played EQ. (Look at the Dark Elf for example - she has horns for some reason).

So don't lose hope. (I am a bit nervy however).

Here's an actual image of a model for the game, look at it, it's way more "realistic" than the art above.

Staab

It better not be... cause that art looks like WoW (i.e. do not want!).
It has none of the charm of Keith's it just looks so goddamn generic, they couldn't have made a worse choice...

spirity

Here's an actual image of a model for the game, look at it, it's way more "realistic" than the art above.

That looks far more preferable! But I know SOE went back to the drawing board a year or two ago, is that photo recent?

As an aside, how can anyone work with all that crap on the desk.

edit
I just realised, I have the same monitor (on the left)

Ashodin

That looks far more preferable! But I know SOE went back to the drawing board a year or two ago, is that photo recent?

As an aside, how can anyone work with all that crap on the desk.

Yes, it is recent. Also, be on the lookout in a week or two when Jira and I will be debuting the SOE Live + EQN hype thread.

Vestal

Gold Member

pktBDSu.jpg

EWWWWWWWWWW.. Freaking HORRRIBLE...

Keith Parkinsons art work on EQ and later in Vanguard was sooooo GOOD.

Top Bottom