• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

This was pretty good. They should stick to bringing this character out for bad movies because movies they enjoy don't work with the format. When they can't come up with stuff to critique you end up with that awful meandering TFA review or just a blegh video that doesn't cover much beyond what every other youtube review already did months ago.

Beartruck

In my opinion, that's like saying the Star Wars Holiday Special is still better than the Prequels. It simply is not true.

To be fair, I enjoy the Star Wars Holiday special much more than the prequels. It has Harvey Korman in drag losing his goddamn mind and a wookie in a VR masturbation machine.

phanphare

Banned
This was pretty good. They should stick to bringing this character out for bad movies because movies they enjoy don't work with the format. When they can't come up with stuff to critique you end up with that awful meandering TFA review or just a blegh video that doesn't cover much beyond what every other youtube review already did months ago.

I like his Titanic review a lot and he was pretty positive about it. that's probably my favorite Plinkett review tbh.

TFA one was just bad. it wasn't bad because he liked it, it was bad because it was bad.

Fitts

Stop dancing.

VEtnC0.gif

No.

.Edit: saw the mod comment on meta commentary so I'll just say this was a very good review and the people who trashed rlm for beating a dead horse or being secret alt right don't have a leg to stand on.

Afrocious

This might be the defacto resource to point to now as far as where this movie went wrong.

I definitely learned a lot from this review.

Ekai

Finished it and....well, at least it had a few insightful bits of commentary and didn't downplay the sexism??? Didn't really acknowledge it but the review at least seemed fair and focused solely on the content of the film itself and how it was influenced in various ways. Kinda a shock, tbh.

Sblargh

Banned
Didn't expect the Bill Murray hate.

Wasn't he strongarmed into this somehow? My view always was:

He and his pals did a movie about ghost exterminators that, contrary to expectations, made money because Kids loved the laser guns.
Then, with that cartoon toy money in mind, they cashed in a second.
After that, Bill Murray became a cynical depressed artist kind that refused to do another cash grab until Sony pulled him into this shitshow last year.

JoeInky

Yeah this was a pretty enjoyable return to form after the really uninteresting TFA "review" that was mostly about things other than the film because they liked it too much to complain about.

Honestly I wish it was a bit longer just because it felt like it went by really quick, but it was an entertaining review all round.

Star Trek Beyond next hopefully, I want to see mikes montage of references to other star trek films and episodes he said he wanted to do.

Review was quite informative but I wish it had more Plinkett dark humor like his older reviews. Thats the reason I watch the reviews.

That was a good Plinkett review.

It made realize really one thing even more about this movie.......SHUT THE FUCK UP

Also have to agree that Paul Feig is most likely a terrible director in general. Too much of a nice guy without any direction. "Just do your thing!"

Ekai

Anyone who thinks rlm is alt right is totally on the money. Only such disgusting mras could suggest one of the things that could have given gb16 some heart was to fully embrace the lesbian ghostbuster and given her a female love interest to rescue at the end of the film. I'm gonna unsub from their channel, stop supporting them on patreon, unfollow them on twitter, and drink gallons of dan ackyrod's crystal skull vodka mixed with ecto cooler so forget I ever heard of them.

@bolded: You sound like you're projecting hardcore and very upset over RLM getting criticized . Not to mention you're arguing in intellectually dishonest manners....all whilst bringing up something that has literally nothing to do with the review since they avoided downplaying the sexism entirely. I'd suggest sticking to the community thread where you can claim we all hate comedy/are saying you're all alt-righters or whatever it is that thread does. Talk about the review, dude.

yuoke

Banned
I had never seen the Dunkin Donuts scene in Jack and Jill. JEEZ

You mean you didn't see the DUNKIN DONUTS ™ scene in the great movie "Jack and Jill" from Sony Pictures ™ ? How is that possible? It has all kind of great products in it, like DUNKIN DONUTS ™ and OREOS ™ .

Wasn't he strongarmed into this somehow?

Yes. The Sony leaks basically revealed that they were going to sue him if he didn't allow them to make one and show up for it.

Blaming Murray for cockblocking GB3 while Ramis was still alive to write it is one thing and somewhat accurate, but after he passed and Sony says 'hey let's do another Pixels' it's hard not to think that Murray was right, at least after Ramis passed away.

Exotoro

surprised there was no weird conspiracy about the marketing like in that scientist man video tbh

relied a bit too much on yelling about how things weren't funny though

Only 15 mins in and this is already much better than their TFA review, miles better even.

I agree that Bridesmaids is bad, Spy is above average, and never saw Freaks & Geeks.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care about internet nerds arguing with each other over Ghostbusters (2016) because the discussion field is so incredibly toxic and facepalm inducing that I really just don't appreciate someone stoking the fires more.

maybe watch the video. you might learn something.

@bolded: You sound like you're projecting hardcore and very upset over RLM getting criticized . Not to mention you're arguing in intellectually dishonest manners....all whilst bringing up something that has literally nothing to do with the review since they avoided downplaying the sexism entirely. I'd suggest sticking to the community thread where you can claim we all hate comedy/are saying you're all alt-righters or whatever it is that thread does. Talk about the review, dude.

I edited my post, it was hyperbolic and went too far.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
This is similar to the Crystal Skull review in that it's solid but kind of obvious and doesn't make any points that hasn't been brought up before. I'm not even sure why this had to be a Plinket review, but hey. After the last thread, it's funny how... fairly uneventful this review feels.

He workshopped that post in the community thread before posting it here, lol

Sephzilla

I don't care about internet nerds arguing with each other over Ghostbusters (2016) because the discussion field is so incredibly toxic and facepalm inducing that I really just don't appreciate someone stoking the fires more.
You cared enough to drive by shitpost, though 🤔

OmegaFax

I watched the whole thing and RLM obliterated this movie. Really good approach. Didn't touch on any of the internet commentary or sexism ... nothing with the marketing other than the callback to "30 years ago" with the first trailer was horseshit.

All in all I think there just wasn't enough material to warrant this IMO.

It's just not offensively bad or a bad film linked to a traditionally high bar summer franchise.

It's just kinda bad with some hilariously awful editing and product placement. But I don't think it warranted an hour of dissection like this.

Glad they didn't lean into the easy play of "DERE WAS WOMENZ IN IT".

Man just watching this I forgot even how cheap the camera work was, it looks like a TV show.

DrSlek

It's a lot more constructive that I'd thought it would be; I was bracing for "This movie cast women, so it sucked", but the review is pretty insightful in how the material and the director are at odds with one another.

I'm left with the feeling that Mike thought there would be more to make fun of and dissect, but it sounds like the film is just a run-of-the-mill bad and not really worthy of an hour long discussion.

It was never going to be that at all. In their HitB review of the film Mike says that casting women was the right thing to do to try and avoid comparisons to the original ensemble cast....though it still failed to avoid it.

Ekai

Neither do I but this is literally the one video they made about the film that didn't attempt to downplay the sexism. It's actually a critique and view on how the film could be improved. In large part by getting a director with vision/having better editors.

Sanjuro

You don't know what you're talking about, do you?

AdamT

Watched the whole video. It was really good. I think RLM made some valid points as to what the film lacked, how to make it better, and pointing out how horrible the ad placement and cameos were. After watching the movie, most of those things were obvious and I feel they articulated what I already knew, but in comedic format.

NotLiquid

They brought up a lot of things I haven't thought about the movie, such as the occasionally crazy way of product placement/referencing (catching why generic cups were used during the Papa John's scene holy shit), the fact that they wasted a lot of moments to build an emotional connection with the side cast to give the finale impact, and the part where they edit scenes from the movie was a stroke of genius. With a few simple changes they made the movie look a lot more impressive. It was a bit of a mindfuck moment for me.

This ended up a lot better than expected. Plinkett still has it.

Only 15 mins in and this is already much better than their TFA review, miles better even.

I agree that Bridesmaids is bad, Spy is above average, and never saw Freaks & Geeks.
Spy is one of the best comedies in years, I was shocked how hard I laughed. And bridesmaids is also great, but mainly for it's script.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The best Paul Feig related thing is Heavyweights

It's a lot more constructive that I'd thought it would be; I was bracing for "This movie cast women, so it sucked", but the review is pretty insightful in how the material and the director are at odds with one another.

I'm not sure why most people thought it would turn out this way in the first place

Ekai

I edited my post, it was hyperbolic and went too far.

Eh, I'd still say they're beating a dead horse. At least they didn't tread the sexism ground again. There were some great bits in this review actually. My favorite part was probably when he discussed editing and how it could improve the film to end scenes earlier/elongate them depending on mood that one would want to create....so....yea.

after that pre-video thread yesterday you would think this was going to be a clusterfuck, but it actually ended up being exactly what you'd expect from a Plinkett video when it doesn't feel forced like with Force Awakens.

I really enjoyed the suggestions over how it could have been edited for certain scenes to be better and almost entirely blaming Feige on this. I'm just sad he didn't show the vodka.

Why did he review The Phantom Menace in 2009? Is there an inappropriate time to review a film?

why did he review Titanic?

JCHandsom

Finished it and....well, at least it had a few insightful bits of commentary and didn't downplay the sexism??? Didn't really acknowledge it but the review at least seemed fair and focused solely on the content of the film itself and how it was influenced in various ways. Kinda a shock, tbh.

I'm happy my worries were unfounded. Good review so far.

Sblargh

Banned
Yes. The Sony leaks basically revealed that they were going to sue him if he didn't allow them to make one and show up for it.

Blaming Murray for cockblocking GB3 while Ramis was still alive to write it is one thing and somewhat accurate, but after he passed and Sony says 'hey let's do another Pixels' it's hard not to think that Murray was right, at least after Ramis passed away.

I think he is right regardless. Ghostbusters is this neat little concept in a very tight and precise script. The other movie I compare it to is Jurassic Park. It may look like it leads to a sequel, but not really, everything interesting to be done with the concept is pretty much already in the original movie.

mcrommert

Banned
You cared enough to drive by shitpost, though 🤔

He drove by because he cared

Good review...length is good and flow is good

Biggest problem with tfa is that it kept starting and stopping...this one feels like the star trek reviews in terms of structure

Top Bottom