• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: "gamers have spent more than 100M total hours playing Backward Compatible games"

Caja 117

Forget just taking 2 spots earlier today, RD took the first 3 now. Does it have a 4th form?

X-D

pJyUCCC.png

That 100m about to blow up.

Thats impressive to have the top 3 spots.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
One could claim that PS4 users used the 100m hours to play (mostlikely PS4 users aren't playing less than Xbox users) new PS4 games which I think is more interested for Sony and Third Parties.

One could also claim those same games are available on Xbone with BC not hindering the sale of new titles... but what would I know. I clearly have an axe to grind where I want to make some poorly articulated comments about how publisher's would not be interested in the system holder pursuing BC which allows them to continue selling their titles.

That is not the point... it small any way you look.

If 1m users tried BC for 30 minutes that is already 30m hours.
What?

Lovely to see some people in this thread show their true colors. DownplayGAF on full force, heh. Great to see feature being used, I really do enjoy it since I have so much backlog.

One could also claim those same games are available on Xbone with BC not hindering the sale of new titles... but what would I know. I clearly have an axe to grind where I want to make some poorly articulated comments about how publisher's would not be interested in the system holder pursuing BC which allows them to continue selling their titles.

What do you know... I don't know.

Of course, its good that MS are trying, but its not at the level it needs to be at all for many people to take notice.
As of now it's indeed too limited, but you can see why Ms is taking that approach instead of what they did to og Xbox on 360.

Tying the bc to digital (which means they have to get re approval for all released games), and deploying every game as a single entity instead of having an emulator that has to load 360 may limit availability, but once a title is in it's just another game on the "library of the forever" that they are building.

I've been using it to catch up on my backlog and GWG stuff. I still have my 360 hooked up, mostly to download GWG offerings. I'll gladly spend more time on BC when Burnout Paradise is added. ANY DAY NOW.

I thought the feature was cool when announced, but not that fussed for me personally...

But then I got to play south park for cheap...and I was reunited with geometry wars...and now I've started on dark souls.

BC has been surprisingly good for me!
GreaT feature and it's free.

Caja 117

I love the feature, and more as someone doesn't have space for more than 2 consoles. nice to see good numbers of time used.

For me either it is full BC are don't bother. I still keep my 360 hooked up because none of the recent games I've played are compatible (PGR3, Forza Horizon, Grid Autosport). The perks of console gaming is the ease of use. Put the disc in the console, and you'll know it will work. I'm not keeping up with a list to see if a game I'm interested in works or not. It's the same issue with BC on the 360 when I eventually stopped bothering with it.

Hopefully next gen all three offers full BC.

Megatron

Tell me what that means, Microsoft. Even as Microsoft shifts from hard sales numbers to "truth that Sony is kicking our asses"-obscuring "engagement" numbers, 100M total hours means nothing if Microsoft isn't willing to compare and contrast it to literally anything else within Microsoft's library of stats.

"It's a large number, so it must be good," I guess.

What does Sony have to do with anything? Does every ms thread have to be omg console warz?

For me either it is full BC are don't bother. I still keep my 360 hooked up because none of the recent games I've played are compatible (PGR3, Forza Horizon, Grid Autosport). The perks of console gaming is the ease of use. Put the disc in the console, and you'll know it will work. I'm not keeping up with a list to see if a game I'm interested in works or not. It's the same issue with BC on the 360 when I eventually stopped bothering with it.

Just a crazy opinion. So because you cant play 3 specific games, nobody shoukd be allowed to play rdr or one of the many games that are bc?

ironcreed

Banned
Yes, it sure is a nice feature to have some of my 360 library on my Xbox One, plus other titles I never bought. I know I would sure as hell rather have it than not and am glad that it is going to be a thing going forward with all games on the new systems.

Coxy100

Banned

christ you're hard to please. How can you moan that not all games are on it YET. The service is free for goodness sake and who knows given time maybe the majority will be on it...

JMY86

What does Sony have to do with anything? Does every ms thread have to be omg console warz?

Exactly. I have both current gen consoles and love them both. BC is a great service that MS offers, who gives a fuck how many hours are played on each console? PS Now is a incredibly over priced pile of shit and Nintendo makes you repurchase all your VC games with each new console.

Ozium

This seems rather silly in this day and age of uprezzed ports being labelled as "remasters" and selling for $40-50. PS4 fans seem to prefer this method over BC.. MS leaving money on the table?

This seems rather silly in this day and age of uprezzed ports being labelled as "remasters" and selling for $40-50. PS4 fans seem to prefer this method over BC.. MS leaving money on the table?

Are you advocating people spending more money to play old games? What a weird post.

christ you're hard to please. How can you moan that not all games are on it YET. The service is free for goodness sake and who knows given time maybe the majority will be on it...

Moaning? What are you going on about? I was simply giving my opinion. BC to me has always been a luxury and not a requirement. With that said, if I'm interested in continuing playing my 360 library, either the BC works or it doesn't. If it isn't fully compatible I might as well keep my 360 hooked up (which I do) and I know for sure I can pick & choose any game from my library.

If you have a very passive interest in BC in general or only have a couple last gen titles you're interested in continuing playing, then partial BC is fine I guess. But I'm not bothering google searching what 360 games does & doesn't work on my XB1 and what updates have been made, that is the opposite of what console gaming is. If a 360 disc doesn't work in my XB1, then I'll treat my XB1 console for XB1 titles only and keep my 360 hooked up.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

oh yeah I'd much rather pay $50 to play a game I paid $60 for

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Trup1aya

So if pgr3, FH, or GA became backward compatible, you'd skip them out of principle, right?

Full BC is obviously ideal. But to say they shouldn't bother at all, when they are bringing more and more games to the table is just madness. I'm glad they "bothered" because I sold my 360 shortly before someone gifted me RDR, and now I'll get to play it. Not doing BC at all when they have the ability to would be dumb.

kyser73

Bad math aside, assuming 100/20=5 for per user hours, BC has been around a year now, so that's 5/12 for per monthly hours so...

0.42 hrs per month per user (assuming 20m users).

About 25 mins per month per user.

TRios Zen

Bad math aside, assuming 100/20=5 for per user hours, BC has been around a year now, so that's 5/12 for per monthly hours so...

To be fair, if we want to make up meaningless statistics, take the number of hours played (100m) and divide by the number of titles available (~200) and we can see that each and every game has been played ~500K hours. Math is fun!

Actually, that's pretty dumb because there is no way every game was played the exact amount. IN fact, many games were probably played very little a few others were played a lot. The average here (or as above in your math) shows next to nothing.

flkraven

It's been around 8 months, not 1 year, and breaking it down to minutes per month per user is a bigger waste of energy than just the useless hours/xbox one's sold calculations.

kyser73

To be fair, if we want to make up meaningless statistics, take the number of hours played (100m) and divide by the number of titles available (~200) and we can see that each and every game has been played ~500K hours. Math is fun!

Actually, that's pretty dumb because there is no way every game was played the exact amount. IN fact, many games were probably played very little a few others were played a lot. The average here (or as above in your math) shows next to nothing.

Yes, in much the same way as announcing 'HEY LOOK BIG NUMBER!' with zero context is meaningless.

As there aren't any actual user numbers, or anything drilled down from 'HEY LOOK BIG NUMBER' taking averages that demonstrate the vanishingly small number of per-user hours on a conservative user base estimate is just as valid.

It's been around 8 months, not 1 year, and breaking it down to minutes per month per user is a bigger waste of energy than just the useless hours/xbox one's sold calculations.

Ok, that'll bounce it up by about 8 minutes per user per month.

Y'all are getting defensive when HEY BIG NUMBER gets called into question about what it actually means. These are MS PR stats and this is a discussion of them.

MilkyJoe

I'm seeing a lot of XBLA games and indies. My point is, if it's not 100% it's a half measure. I don't want to reference a matrix every time I want to play an old game. I want it to just work. This generations is such garbage with no BC or half-BC and remasters/remakes galore.

Well it's not hardware BC so you are going to have to wait, aren't you.

flkraven

Yes, in much the same way as announcing 'HEY LOOK BIG NUMBER!' with zero context is meaningless.

As there aren't any actual user numbers, or anything drilled down from 'HEY LOOK BIG NUMBER' taking averages that demonstrate the vanishingly small number of per-user hours on a conservative user base estimate is just as valid.

Then what purpose is there in trying to drill down on a useless number and finding more meaningless, contextless statistics?

Impressive and all but can someone link me a full list of those 209 BC titles? When I launch the store on Xbone I sure as hell am not seeing 209 titles there ?!?

Is it on wikipedia or something?

kyser73

Then what purpose is there in trying to drill down on a useless number and finding more meaningless, contextless statistics?

Because Internet? Because someone felt it was worth making a discussion thread about said meaningless, context-free statistics and that would lead to a similar level of debate?

Just to give another comparison metric: It was at 15million in January, after the holiday release.

Since Xbox One Backward Compatibility released on Nov. 12 with more than 100 playable titles, global Xbox gamers have logged more than 15 million hours playing Xbox 360 games on Xbox One.
Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/04/greatest-games-extends-to-2016/#w9AHmAJTS84MSRqk.99

http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/04/greatest-games-extends-to-2016/

So it seems it's a feature people are still using, perhaps even more now than they were at release.

flkraven

Ok, that'll bounce it up by about 8 minutes per user per month.

Y'all are getting defensive when HEY BIG NUMBER gets called into question about what it actually means. These are MS PR stats and this is a discussion of them.

Because Internet? Because someone felt it was worth making a discussion thread about said meaningless, context-free statistics and that would lead to a similar level of debate?

Well, as long as we are in agreement that this is all just a big waste of time then that's fine then.

TRios Zen

I am not arguing that the number presented was anything more than an MS PR statement - period.

Taking that large number and averaging it across all users is bad technique as it ignores the simple fact that not everyone takes advantage of it. Further reducing that number by dividing it by the (wrong) number of months appears to be an obvious play to show how little time this "really" is.

I think your argument is better served by saying "This number is meaningless without context and I think it is a small number regardless", rather than relying on shady math to "prove" anything.

kyser73

Well, as long as we are in agreement that this is all just a big waste of time then that's fine then.

For sure. This would be a far better discussion had MS deigned to give us some real stats like actual player numbers or which titles were most popular.

This thread has been really entertaining. :)

I have used BC on xbox one quite a bit, especially after Dark Souls was released. It adds great value to the console and makes me feel assured that MS respects my digital games library. This is the main reason why I buy all multiplats from MS, I have a pretty good idea on where they stand and where they are going with BC from here.

I am not arguing that the number presented was anything more than an MS PR statement - period.

Taking that large number and averaging it across all users is bad technique as it ignores the simple fact that not everyone takes advantage of it. Further reducing that number by dividing it by the (wrong) number of months appears to be an obvious play to show how little time this "really" is.

I think your argument is better served by saying "This number is meaningless without context and I think it is a small number regardless", rather than relying on shady math to "prove" anything.

The number isn't entirely meaningless though. It was at 15 million after 2 months of availability, and at 100 million at E3 (6 months after that).

So even without any concrete data we can say that the average hours played/month is bigger now than it was at release which is great, specially if we consider that it was released during holiday and the amount of people that wanted to try the new feature was probably huge, and also add the fact that the 15 million number likely includes those who were in preview for a few months.

Taking the big number aside, Ms is outright telling us that the usage of the feature is increasing as the months are passing.

I have a feeling that number is going to jump significantly come Friday.

Just to provide some more insight on this, from my Amazon sales thread, they've sold completely out of their stock of the physical original and GOTY editions and are now relying on third party sellers to provide stock.

Additionally, if you want a physical copy of the GOTY edition you will have to wait until July 12. It's actually backordered.

Friday is going to be crazy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames/ref=zg_bsms_nav_0

gtj1092

There's too many missing variables to do the math.

I take it you haven't read the thread. We've covered this already.

If that's the case as everyone keeps arguing how then does one come to the conclusion that this number is good.

Also everyone keeps saying you can't average the number over the install base but doesn't that then imply BC is even less popular.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
oh yeah I'd much rather pay $50 to play a game I paid $60 for

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Some people like to spend more to support who they love!

BC has always seemed like a win win. Publishers can continue to sell their old catalog and make money from it. People are more included to upgrade their system and licensing fees. While gamers can continue to play or buy their old titles.

Since we just got Steam Stats for example, GTA:SA sold an additional 120k copies, netting 440k. Titles like Half Life 2, Portal, Spore, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and several more. Are all games from 10 years ago, that each pulled in several hundred of thousands in revenue just from a single steam sale years after they came out.

I'm interested to see what Blops has done, when it jumped to over 100k concurrent users the weekend after. I know Gamestop raised it priced, Amazon was sold out, etc.

kyser73

The number isn't entirely meaningless though. It was at 15 million after 2 months of availability, and at 100 million at E3 (6 months after that).

So even without any concrete data we can say that the average hours played/month is bigger now than it was at release which is great, specially if we consider that it was released during holiday and the amount of people that wanted to try the new feature was probably huge, and also add the fact that the 15 million number likely includes those who were in preview for a few months.

Taking the big number aside, Ms is outright telling us that the usage of the feature is increasing as the months are passing.

Can that be said?

All MS say with the big number is literally 'This number is bigger than the number from 6 months ago.'

Since using a metric like average hours per user per month is deemed 'meaningless' (cf: above replies to my post), there's nothing one wouldn't expect to see with the number of hours going up as the period the service is available extends.

Can that be said?

All MS say with the big number is literally 'This number is bigger than the number from 6 months ago.'

Since using a metric like average hours per user per month is deemed 'meaningless' (cf: above replies to my post), there's nothing one wouldn't expect to see with the number of hours going up as the period the service is available extends.

In the first 2 months it accumulated 15 million hours. In the next 6 months it accumulated 85 millions more.

The monthly average more than doubled. So I think we can safely assume that it's increasingly picking up on interest?

If you take into account that:

- The 15 million probably include the hours played by testers months before public availablity;
- The feature launched in the holidays

I think the data would be more skwed towards the first 2 months if people were just testing it to see how cool it was and were done with it already.

I know I'm not a representative of the whole user base, but I already finished two games from my backlog from start to finish on BC, and 3 or 5 that I was already close to beating, but never got to on 360. (btw, cloud saves are awesome :p), I find that since it's so easy to just hop in the game as it were a xbone game I just play them along the new releases I get.

So analysing the statement in any real way means you're a salty fanboy?

What an insanely oppressive thread.

So another great news for gamers turned into system war.

"Turned into"? The tone was set when the thread literally began with the following:

Stream me on PSNow if old.

So it was doomed from the start thanks to OP's inability to keep his warrioring under control, as per.

Top Bottom