• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: "gamers have spent more than 100M total hours playing Backward Compatible games"

You fools.

I knew MS would be tracking these statistics, so I rigged up a multitude of Xbox Ones in my home and left them running 360 titles for at least 50m hours in total, in order to provide an artificial demand for backwards compatibility.

You've all been had. You should all be smart enough to realize that no one actually utilizes backwards compatibility.

I played 3 online matches of Halo Wars, so that probably accounts for the rest.

SNBbmAl.gif

Yup, that's the rest of them.

Raitaro

Call me nuts but this BC program will definitely be a deciding factor when I eventually buy my first Xbox One (which is when the S or Scorpio releases). I love being able to have some continuity between my old gen collection and the next one.

On the flipside my biggest disappointment with Sony and the PS4 so far has been the severe lack of BC. Why am I able pay more money to buy a 4K/VR enhanced PS4 in the near future but not for a fully hardware (PS3) BC enabled PS4? And why no software BC program either, not even for PSN games?

Even if Microsoft's approach is mostly based on fictional customer demand and bloated data - which I doubt by the way - Sony could try to follow suit to appease all of their customer's wishes, even if they might in be in the minority (but then again who wouldn't play one or two of their old PS3 games if natively possible?). It would be a nice loyalty program type reward for those of us who supported the PS brand last gen as well.

Mini rant over.

Kill3r7

That's not a lot. 50 hours a month would be ~1 hour 40 minutes a day.

I do time math good, right?

I know 50 hours seems like nothing on gaming forums but for many people that is pretty close to the total amount of time they spend gaming all year.

MilkyJoe

Everyone is charging you for your old game. You had to pay for them either at the time or release, or now. Being able to play them on one platform is nice, but if you own the games, you probably own the platform and if you don't own or never owned the platform, you have to pay for the games.

I've seen it all now... Jeepers.

I've seen it all now... Jeepers.

Sorry, is that statement incorrect in any capacity?

People have, a few times, called out Sony for being the only one to charge you to play old games. I'm making the point that it's not free games, it's just another way to play games on a different platform. You still have to, at some point, actually have bought the game in question.

c0de

People have, a few times, called out Sony for being the only one to charge you to play old games. I'm making the point that it's not free games, it's just another way to play games on a different platform. You still have to, at some point, actually have bought the game in question.

No. People argue(d) that you have to buy a game again, although you already own them.

TheYanger

With Sony and Nintendo you have to buy them AGAIN to keep playing them. Is it that complicated to understand? Yes, I bought Mass Effect and can play it on my Xbone. I bought it like 8 years ago though and have already long since gotten that value. This is a bonus.

Meanwhile, I ALSO own many PS2 games, if I want to play those again I either have to fish out a working PS2 (LOL fun, since mine all have busted disc drives now) or pay sony for the priviledge of playing something I already own on my PS4.

c0de

Call me nuts but this BC program will definitely be a deciding factor when I eventually buy my first Xbox One (which is when the S or Scorpio releases). I love being able to have some continuity between my old gen collection and the next one.

This is quite me. I still didn't buy a next gen system but I "heavily" invested into the 360 and sometimes still buy a game when it's on sale. I also bought most games on 360 digitally and am subscribed to XBL since day one and as there are still free games to get with XBL, now even with all games being compatible with Xbox One, when I buy an Xbox with EA Access, I will have to buy the console, subscribe additionally to XBL to EA Access and already have a huge library directly available to play, conveniently on one console.

MilkyJoe

Buy AGAIN

Xbone BC you can buy it having never owned it, but if you own it you don't pay AGAIN.

What is so hard to understand?

TheYanger

This is quite me. I still didn't buy a next gen system but I "heavily" invested into the 360 and sometimes still buy a game when it's on sale. I also bought most games on 360 digitally and am subscribed to XBL since day one and as there are still free games to get with XBL, now even with all games being compatible with Xbox One, when I buy an Xbox with EA Access, I will have to buy the console, subscribe additionally to XBL to EA Access and already have a huge library directly available to play, conveniently on one console.

You don't even need XBL for your 360 games from GWG, if you've had them ever you're good.

No. People argue(d) that you have to buy a game again, although you already own them.

With Sony and Nintendo you have to buy them AGAIN to keep playing them. Is it that complicated to understand? Yes, I bought Mass Effect and can play it on my Xbone. I bought it like 8 years ago though and have already long since gotten that value. This is a bonus.

Meanwhile, I ALSO own many PS2 games, if I want to play those again I either have to fish out a working PS2 (LOL fun, since mine all have busted disc drives now) or pay sony for the priviledge of playing something I already own on my PS4.

Buy AGAIN

Xbone BC you can buy it having never owned it, but if you own it you don't pay AGAIN.

What is so hard to understand?
Read the post I was responding to.

besada

Banned
I've done some cleanup. If people continue to come into the thread to disingenuously deflect and minimize rather than actually address the topic, feel free to PM me, and I'll happily do some more.

As always, if you have concerns or complaints, feel free to PM a moderator.

shandy706

I look forward to the stats on Red Dead. I really hope they share individual stats for the number of players and the number of sales (digitally).

I'm thinking there's no way to successfully track Amazon and all the other sales (without #'s from all the retailers).

It's possible we will only get hours again in the near future, but I'd love a breakdown of what I'd consider a big BC (re)release.

c0de

I look forward to the stats on Red Dead. I really hope they share individual stats for the number of players and the number of sales (digitally).

I'm thinking there's no way to successfully track Amazon and all the other sales (without #'s from all the retailers).

It's possible we will only get hours again in the near future, but I'd love a breakdown of what I'd consider a big BC (re)release.

I don't think we will get stats, tbh. Only after major events and probably also just as a sidenote like in this case.

dLMN8R

I don't think we will get stats, tbh. Only after major events and probably also just as a sidenote like in this case.

The most telling stats were the active player numbers on Black Ops right after Black Ops became backwards compatible.

Fox Mulder

It's a neat feature that widens the library and gives the console another bullet point while it loses some things like true first/third party exclusives.

I've enjoyed it and will enjoy it more as they keep adding titles I've wanted to play again.

I like MS doing things like this and a $150 controller.

HokieJoe

The question isn't if anybody will care, but if "most" will care

You wrongly assume that "most" even need to care to make it a profitable feature. BC will become the standard going forward because of the architectures involved IMO. I would be shocked if the PS5 does not have BC with PS4 games.

I figure MS and Sony will figure out how to make it profitable.

HokieJoe

I'm sure they'll care, just not enough to make any effect PS5 sales.

Now, if MS offered BC on the next gen Xbox (which they will) it will make negative PR for PS5, and that will definitely affect PS5 sales (In a negative way).

I say BS. Offering BC means fewer people will have reluctance to transition to a new console. That also means that everyone in the production chain can transition away from multiplat titles more quickly in the future. That = cost savings.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
No, that would be 15 million hours. There's two lots of 30 minutes in an hour.

Maths?!

Lol!

If 1 million people had $0.50c each that equals $15,000,000.00 because there are two lots of $0.50 in a dollar!!!!!

Top Bottom