• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: "gamers have spent more than 100M total hours playing Backward Compatible games"

If 1m users tried BC for 30 minutes that is already 30m hours.

Johnny has 30 half-apples, Johnny also has 1 million class mates who love whole apples. How many half-apples would Johnny's mommy need to buy to if the class is going to win The Big Apple eat off at school, which total is 30 million whole apples?

I'm pretty proud: I didn't have to say anything negative about Microsoft and I still made it on to your adorable little picture collection.

You've taken up the mantra of Biker19 and Percy admirably, Cakely. Soldier on, friend.

Your reactionary "LOL persecution" spiel that you constantly post in these kinds of threads is transparent.

icespide

Banned
RYrq1xF.gif

Nocturno999

Is Sony trying to respond to this? "They don't need to" is not an answer.

Is sad that people can play their RDR disc in their XBO while PS4 owners have to buy the Warriors, from the same Publisher.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
because the changeover to x86 was just an absolute requirement this gen, and emulating PS3 architecture just isnt possible. Even microsoft is struggling to emulate the 360 and having to write specific code for each game that runs on the xbox one

Yea I keep forgetting about that. Especially since it makes MS look like magicians.

It really makes you wonder if the roles were reversed sales wise would MS be this into B/C.

Purest 78

Read the thread mate. It's the fourth time this argument was made, and even thought it's technically correct, it doesn't take into account how many/few people actually use BC.

No need to read the thread numbers don't lie. With the X1 install base it averages to 5 hours per user. I'm sorry if you wanna make that impressive it simply isn't. It actually shows majority don't care much about BC.

flkraven

no idea, depends on how much work goes into each one. We know its not effortless, but we don't quite know what it takes.

But you said it cost 'a lot of time and effort'. A lot implies you have an idea of the figures? In actuality, you have no idea and are making complete guesses. After this you conclude that the cost and time of bc is:
Time that is possibly better spent elsewhere.

And then people wonder why some posters come off as being agenda driven with their baseless, drive by 'facts'. Where the heck does this come from anyways? Oh yeah:

because part of my job is data analytics.

cakely

Stop the trolling man. it's awful.

You've taken up the mantra of Biker19 and Percy admirably, Cakely. Soldier on, friend.

Your reactionary "LOL persecution" spiel that you constantly post in these kinds of threads is transparent.

And now I'm being called a troll and a console warrior. That's unjustified.

Please, take a look at what I've actually posted in this thread.

Falchion

I'm one of them. I never thought I'd use it but I've completed quite a few BC games on the One just because it's so convenient.

Caayn

Is sad that people can play their RDR disc in their XBO while PS4 owners have to buy the Warriors, from the same Publisher.
It is. But people will defend it for reasons such as added trophy support. If Sony wanted they should be able to create a PS1/2 emulator for the PS4 and make it available for everyone for free.

TBiddy

No need to read the thread numbers don't lie. With the X1 install base it averages to 5 hours per user. I'm sorry if you wanna make that impressive it simply isn't. It actually shows majority don't care much about BC.

You should read the thread, though, instead of posting the same bad argument, that was already shot down several times earlier.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=209283324&highlight=#post209283324 - might not be trolling or "warrioring", but it's not exactly sympathetic.

SOR5

It couldve been one man completely ass naked in a shed playing Hexic HD for 100 million hours straight,

You dont have any insight into user habits, you dont have any insights to the install base, the 5 hour average figure that keeps popping up is not only fruitless, but even if it was somehow the average amount, why does that magically detract the appeal of the feature from everyone as a whole?

martino

That's not true.

72% of the games currently on the BC catalogue are Arcade, I'm willing to bet most of them can be completed in under 5 hours.

what is not true is to twist/dilute the number to go this conclusion.
this helps us more to know the poster position toward bc/&ms than the community using bc (we lack a key number to do any conclusion).

flkraven

So I'm guess short ass games that get like 10 million units sold get this divided opinion on GAF too? Like, the hours played per console owner must be small as hell.

Unity2012

I'm one of them. I never thought I'd use it but I've completed quite a few BC games on the One just because it's so convenient.

Me too. I like playing my favorite X360 games in the X1. Now give us some Mass Effect 2 and everyone will be happy.

Purest 78

It couldve been one man completely ass naked in a shed playing Hexic HD for 100 million hours straight,

You dont have any insight into user habits, you dont have any insights to the install base, the 5 hour average figure that keeps popping up is not only fruitless, but even if it was somehow the average amount, why does that magically detract the appeal of the feature from everyone as a whole?

As I said numbers don't lie We know x1 is over 20 million by now. With this 100 million number we can deduce an average. My argument is based on the numbers we have at hand no spin what so ever.

flkraven

Dude, come on. This is fucking trolling and you know it. Especially since the 4 pages before you already discussed the 5 hour reasoning to death:

So, from this PR announcement, we know now that on average an Xbox One owner has used Backwards Compatibility for about five hours during the last eight months.

We also know that since Microsoft actually made an announcement about that usage, they're clearly happy with it's adoption rate.

FYI, pointing out these facts doesn't make me "salty", "desparate", a "hater", or a "downplayer", so for all the posters here enthusiastically showing off their persecution complex, this is not the post you're looking for.

No.

Let me guess, is your job defending multi-billion dollar international companies from perceived slights on the internet?

You aren't being clever. These trolls weren't very well hidden.

gamz

As I said numbers don't lie We know x1 is over 20 million by now. With this 100 million number we can deduce an average. My argument is based on the numbers we have at hand no spin what so ever.

And we also know this is a small sample size. It's only been around for 8 months and if more games like Red drop it'll probably grow larger.

It's a great start and people who use it love it. That's all that counts.

TBiddy

So when Halo 5 reached 1 million copies, an average of 0.05 copies was in the hands of the consumers. Purely based on the numbers and no spin what so ever.

Purest 78

And we also know this is a small sample size. It's only been around for 8 months and if more games like Red drop it'll probably grow larger.

It's a great start and people who use it love it. That's all that counts.

If people love it that's great I won't pretend this number is huge or even good.

I know I've spent 20+ hours this past week playing Fable 2 and Black Ops 1...

So you've contributed 20 million hours all by yourself!

I doubt they are, and in the wider picture they really don't need to. A minority of people would really appreciate it (like me), but it probably would not increase the PS4's sales to a measurable degree.

Purest 78

If I spend more than 5 hours playing by myself then how does that affect your simple math?

Because it's obvious Every x1 owner hasn't touched BC. No one has the exact numbers of who did or didn't. Only thing we have that's concrete is install base VS the 100 million number.

I think the people trying to downplay backwards compatibility as if it's a bad thing are truly on their own. Haven't seen that sentiment anywhere else even on the internet. 360 was an amazing console and it's super awesome that Microsoft is following through with this initiative so well.

They could have some implementation of PSNow where you insert your PS3 disc and the cloud recognizes it and streams the game, or they could put a cell chip or SoC or whatever in the Neo and PS4 slim.

Somnia

Ahhh another thread going into the shitter due to positive news.

In other news, RDR is going to pull in a lot of hours played! I've been wanting to replay that game for quite awhile, but no longer own a 360 or ps3.

Top Bottom