• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: "gamers have spent more than 100M total hours playing Backward Compatible games"

TBiddy

If there's over 20 million x1 owners 100 million BC hours isn't impressive at all. In fact it really proves people barely use it. That would mean on average people have used it 5 hours.

Read the thread mate. It's the fourth time this argument was made, and even thought it's technically correct, it doesn't take into account how many/few people actually use BC.

As someone who has pushed for backwards compatibility in all its forms for the last 20 years, I'm very happy with the fact that Microsoft is pushing this and it seems like there is an audience who is responding positively as well.

Great feature and a step in the right direction. It's a great way to preserve a console legacy, increase its portfolio and save the users a lot of money. People downplaying this feature are console warriors, there is no other explanation.

Coxy100

Banned
Amazing the amount of people in here trying to put down the announcement.

BC is fantastic and kudos for microsoft in introducing it.

If the "little victories" benefit me as a consumer, keep them coming.

NO! Anything that can't be used as effective ammunition in the console war must be cast into a pit like a sickly child in Ancient Sparta!

Just in case anyone misinterprets my comment, I am being sarcastic

opoth

Banned
Ridiculous how many people come into this thread solely to try and cut down on the xbox one, even though backwards compatibility is in all ways a positive for the industry.

Everyone is happy to line up to continue singing the praises of the most anti consumer company in the industry, which enables them to continue those behaviors. Good stuff, I don't get it either.

pa22word

ms, if you add dead rising and ninja gaiden 2 and i'll throw in a few hundred hours for your next pr puff quote

Kind of crazy two of the system's only widely reknowned real exclusives aren't BC yet.

c0de

Everyone is happy to line up to continue singing the praises of the most anti consumer company in the industry, which enables them to continue those behaviors. Good stuff, I don't get it either.

I wonder how many people here on GAF truly believe that but don't dare to say it that way.

So... 100m hours, in one year, across, what? 25 million consoles?

That's 4 hours per console, average, in a year.

100m sounds impressive, but in context? It's not exactly "massive numbers" and proves there's "vague interest" not necessarily "massive demand".

I'm absolutely raining on Microsoft's parade here because it's a pointless figure.
The feature is only publicly available for 8 months, so less than a year actually.

And the number of big releases have just started to ramp up on the last few months.

timberger

Doesn't seem like such an impressive number considering half the 'free' titles on GWG every month are BC, in addition to all the BC titles given out free on top of this (Tekken Tag 2 at E3, titles given out as pre-order bonuses, etc) on a 20+m install base tbh. No reason not to at least try something you get for free/'free' after all.

That said, I know I'd probably use BC a lot more on XB1 if it wasn't so poor as things stand currently. Hardly anything I've tried seems to work on it and of the ones that do, there seems to be all kinds of problems that weren't there on 360.

It's a feature that still needs a lot of work imo.

Incredible the number of people trying to downplay this. It's a great consumer-friendly feature which allows for the preservation of historic titles. I don't know how much I would honestly use it, but I'd love it to come to PS4 as I still have a few unplayed games on PS3.

Only MS will released a pointless pr statement. Just like their NPD statements this gen.

Sodium chloride.

There is absolutely nothing pointless about it. However small 100million hours in when compared to engagement on big AAA releases, 100 million hours is still a lot of time spent by gamers on BC, which might entice more devs to follow suit. Everything about BC is positive for gamers. Stop being a negative nancy.

I could agree with you about that if we were talking about the initial XB1 plans, they were very anti-consumer.

At this time in moment, not so much. I do hope they create a win 32 version of their games in the future but other than that, MS has been pretty chill on the gaming front.

Scrawnton

I intend on jumping into BC way more once those gems like Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia get added. Their are way too many current gen games for me to jump into Fable or Fallout 3 (which will happen eventually).

Celebrate the little victories I suppose.

Lol @ little victories. Condescension is a poor mask for being salty.

Microsoft needs to get more flak for releasing unimpressive numbers without context about features no one cares for.

Translation: I wish I could convince more people to hate Microsoft because I do, and I dont care about stupid BC so no one should!

Yep, no one cares. Nothing to see here folks, move along! This post is so transparent I almost didn't even see it. Protip: any feature that is pro-consumer, whether you personally care about it, is a good thing. And you don't speak for the entire gaming community, so try not tossing around words like "no one". MS started put this gen looking like a bunch of fools, and they paid the price, but BC is a positive for all of us, whether you like it or not.

opoth

Banned
I could agree with you about that if we were talking about the initial XB1 plans, they were very anti-consumer.

At this time in moment, not so much. I do hope they create a win 32 version of their games in the future but other than that, MS has been pretty chill on the gaming front.

MS did a 180 on their plans, I'm not talking about them.

It's just funny to me that "winning the console war" ultimately means a lesser experience for the people who champion that product - which ultimately leads to people wandering into threads like this and shitposting.

People should demand more from their personal ecosystem of choice, not begrudge the available options of competing systems.

SOR5

Yep, no one cares. Nothing to see here folks, move along! This post is so transparent I almost didn't even see it. Protip: any feature that is pro-consumer, whether you personally care about it, is a good thing. And you don't speak for the entire gaming community, so try not tossing around words like "no one". MS started put this gen looking like a bunch of fools, and they paid the price, but BC is a positive for all of us, whether you like it or not.

That one was a jab at another thread

Given that GWG which count towards the total, it clouds the issue to me. I've played some truly dreadful games for a few hours because they were "free", from GWG to PS+ to Steam's freeplay weekends, and I'm sure I've contributed at least 5 hours to BC on the Xbox One even though I totally do not care.

Read the thread mate. It's the fourth time this argument was made, and even thought it's technically correct, it doesn't take into account how many/few people actually use BC.

If the argument is that a large percentage of the Xbox One population doesn't use BC, that is the opposite of the argument that BC is needed because lots of people really want it. I'm pretty sure no one has ever doubted that there are hardcore enthusiasts who consider BC the most important thing ever.

TBiddy

If the argument is that a large percentage of the Xbox One population doesn't use BC, that is the opposite of the argument that BC is needed because lots of people really want it. I'm pretty sure no one has ever doubted that there are hardcore enthusiasts who consider BC the most important thing ever.

It doesn't have to be a large percentage to be a lot of people. Even if only 10% of the XB1 gamers uses BC, it's still north of 2 million potential customers.

The Flash

Banned
Celebrate the little victories I suppose.

CTgi5auUsAAUEHR.jpg

pitchfork

I imagine that number will get a significant boost come Friday

As someone who held on to their horde of 360 games i'm happy to see MS committed to making the BC list keep growing

Traded in my PS4 for the Xbone due to how each company treats backwards compatibility and don't regret my decision one bit. It's a great feature on the One.

EGM1966

It's great BC is there but single data points without context really are meaningless. How does that compare to hours spent on non-BC games? What percentage of owners play what percentage of BC vs current gen games?

Anyway BC is good, always, but I dislike PR stats that don't actually tell you anything much other than yeah, some people must use BC which I knew before that stat.

Wereroku

Incredible the number of people trying to downplay this. It's a great consumer-friendly feature which allows for the preservation of historic titles. I don't know how much I would honestly use it, but I'd love it to come to PS4 as I still have a few unplayed games on PS3.
This will never come to ps4. Sony had said PS3 bc is basically impossible on ps4 and everyone involved in emulation seems to agree. Xbox 360 is a lot more familiar setup and was already running an amd gpu.

Zedox

Well...if that's how many hours people have spent using that feature and MS finds that number to be a good enough number to keep doing what they are doing (and good enough for publishers), then good.

Also, do people think that BC was a feature that would get more play than newer games? No matter, all these games add to the games i'll be able to play once I retire and have time to finish them.

W.S.

I don't mean to be insulting, but the metrics put out by MS, and on amazon are just not impressive to me, and still does not buck the narrative that BC is generally not used anywhere near on a scale large enough to justify investing into it outside of goodwill to consumers and to maybe keep a few invested into the ecosystem.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that BC was bad as an option if given the choice. But its just not that big a deal for most.

I think it's a decent enough metric to show that BC is an actively used feature.

The fan requested stuff like CoD: Black Ops & Red Dead Redemption isn't coming in at a great pace but when they do come the impact is obvious when you see spikes in network users as well Amazon sales charts/trends.

The posters that are breaking it down into about 5 hrs just seem kind of...desperate.

There are some games that people are going to invest a little time in and some that others are going to invest a lot of time in. I've spent a couple hours on Soul Calibur 2, Grid 2, Dirt Rally and a few others but I've put in almost 50 in Fallout 3 (so far). I mean you can average that out to like 15 hrs or less per game to trivialize the number or you could accept and appreciate the fact that MS has given their customers the option to play those BC games along with their current library of games.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

so a 5 hour average per console over an 8 month span. This seems like worried news for fans of backwards compatibility.

Still, this gen scrapping backwards compatibility would probably been the better choice. Microsoft and Sony both made the right move shifting over to x86, and this made backwards compatibility completely impossible on PS4, and is costing microsoft a lot of time and effort to make each game they can available on BC. Time that is possibly better spent elsewhere.

The bright spot is that with the shift to x86, forward consoles should generally be backwards compatible by default

cgcg

Averages out to about only 5 hours per console. And when you include about all the free BC games MS was throwing at people, the number is extremely underwhelming. Wonder why they didn't give out how many people are actually using this? They definitely have the number, but I guess no MAUR number for everyone this time. Maybe they reached the character limit in the PR.

Top Bottom