• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Thoughts on the Fate of the Marvel vs. Capcom Series

Just like how MvC4 will most likely be the Marvel Cinematic Universe vs. Capcom, featuring Spider-Man, Wolverine, & Deadpool.

Well, but Avengers 3 they'll have a ton of variety so I'm not completely against that. Though we might lose some of the odder characters like MODOK and and She Hulk.

Dr. Buni

Seriously, the Capcom roster in TvC was almost entirely perfect.
It was a pretty good roster and I enjoyed some of the "weird picks" like Volnutt, Kaijin no Soki and Saki Omokane, but I wouldn't say it was almost perfect. I think the TvC roster +

Capcom side: Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, Jill Valentine, Tron Bonne, Dante, B.B Hood,
a Monster Hunter
and maybe Arthur

Tatsunoko side: Samurai Pizza Cats, Shurato, perhaps Casshern Sins' Casshern and... I really don't know a lot about Tatsunoko works

Would be amazing.

Neoxon

It was a pretty good roster and I enjoyed some of the "weird picks" like Volnutt, Kaijin no Soki and Saki Omokane, but I wouldn't say it was almost perfect. I think the TvC roster +

Capcom side: Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, Jill Valentine, Tron Bonne, Dante, B.B Hood,
a Monster Hunter
and maybe Arthur

Tatsunoko side: Samurai Pizza Cats, Shurato, perhaps Casshern Sins' Casshern and... I really don't know a lot about Tatsunoko works

Would be amazing.
Niitsuma tried to get a Monster Hunter character in UMvC3, the dev team refused.

Also, Quake for MvC4
voiced by Chloe Bennet.

Dr. Buni

Niitsuma tried to get a Monster Hunter character in UMvC3, the dev team refused.

Also, Quake for MvC4
voiced by Chloe Bennet.
I heard that story. Did the team justify why they didn't want a Monster Hunter in MvC?

Capcom is weird.

Neoxon

The MvC series means more to me than most games, honestly. My copy of UMvC3 was given to me by a friend who has since committed suicide, so it's my last living reminder of him. I really hope MvC4 happens eventually, & I have hope that it will.

The MvC series means more to be than most games, honestly. My copy of UMvC3 was given to me by a friend who has since committed suicide, so it's my last living reminder of him. I really hope MvC4 happens eventually, & I have hope that it will.
:(

It really holds a special place in all of our hearts, and I hope one day this is recognized. RIP to your friend.

Tik-Tok

Everytime I hear "Capcom NEEDED so and so to fund the development of their game" I laugh to myself. A more likely scenario was "Why should we pay to develop this game when we can get someone else to"

Neoxon

:(

It really holds a special place in all of our hearts, and I hope one day this is recognized. RIP to your friend.
Thanks for your condolences, it's pretty much why I feel so passionately about the MvC series specifically of any Vs. game, or any game period (even more than Smash). MvC1 was one of my first arcade games (& games period) that I ever played as a child, & introduced me to my love of Marvel & Capcom. While I wouldn't mind a Marvel Super Heroes 2 made by Capcom or a Capcom All-Stars game, it'd feel like something is missing without both sides clashing in battle.

Neoxon

One of the most awesome moments in fighting game history for sure!
My hype went through the motherfucking roof when it happened.

I guess this is why Capcom wanted Combofiend as Seth Killian's successor. I wouldn't be surprised if he championed MvC4 in the somewhat distant future.

Dr. Buni

The team didn't want a Hunter to be represented by one moveset because of how diverse they can be.
The Hunter could have represented a lot of different weapons, though. They would only need to be creative with her/his moveset. Oh well...
The MvC series means more to me than most games, honestly. My copy of UMvC3 was given to me by a friend who has since committed suicide, so it's my last living reminder of him. I really hope MvC4 happens eventually, & I have hope that it will.
I am sorry to hear that. :| I hope your friend found peace or whatever he was looking for.

Kevyt

My favorite fighting game that I never got good at... lol. I do hope there's a MVC4 but given how silent Capcom has been about it, I really doubt that's going to happen. I think umvc3 was the last one... but I hope I'm wrong.

Neoxon

My favorite fighting game that I never got good at... lol. I do hope there's a MVC4 but given how silent Capcom has been about it, I really doubt that's going to happen. I think umvc3 was the last one... but I hope I'm wrong.
They can't legally mention it since the contract expired.

Neoxon

The Hunter could have represented a lot of different weapons, though. They would only need to be creative with her/his moveset. Oh well...

I am sorry to hear that. :| I hope your friend found peace or whatever he was looking for.
That's why I was pissed at the MH developers for not letting it happen.

Also, another discrimination against the mutants on Marvel's part occurred, but it's spoilers for the Axis story arc.

Dr. Buni

That's why I was pissed at the MH developers for not letting it happen.

Also, another discrimination against the mutants on Marvel's part occurred, but it's spoilers for the Axis story arc.
What was it? I am curious and I don't mind spoilers.

Neoxon

Wait, are you saying they were planned to be in UMvC3?
No, I heard murmurs that Black Widow was planned, but I couldn't find any links to back up the claims I heard.
Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch, it's more of what could happen with a potential MvC4 later down the road, since the twins' ties to the mutants has since been severed.

Sesha

I thought Gene and Black Panther/Vision were next on the "list" for inclusion?

Marvel's out for blood for the F4, so I'm not sure about Doom. It's sad that his removal is even possible.

Dr. Doom is too huge for removal. Super Skrull might've been up for removal though. At any rate, I guarantee X-23 would go. She was being pushed by Marvel at the time and her announcement coincided with issue 1 of her new series. Not anymore.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
One of the most awesome moments in fighting game history for sure!
I was at that tournament and thought it was kinda lame (but funny).

Basic and sloppy play that looks even sloppier with nearly 4 years of hindsight.

Neoxon

What has Activision to do with all this?
I didn't get that completely.
It was to dispel a common misconception. Many assumed that (U)MvC3, MvC2, & soon MvC Origins were pulled because Marvel terminated the contract with Capcom like they did with Activision (who once held the X-Men & non-movie Spider-Man rights, & they still hold the movie Spidey rights). In reality, Origins proved that Capcom simply chose not to pay the funds to maintain the contract & keep the games available (Origins & MvC2 were digital downloads, hence why MvC2 went down when the MvC3 games did & why Origins didn't go down until next week). If Capcom had more money to burn, maybe the MvC games would still be up & Origins wouldn't be going down soon, but given their position (barely making a profit), they have to choose their investments carefully. Activision lost their contract because Marvel terminated the contract due to the quality of the games not being at where Marvel wanted them to be at.

Neoxon

We need an ULTIMATE: MVC collection. Think of it like "The Orange Box" except it comes with every MVC title playable on PS4/PC with cross play.
With the Activision purge already come & gone, including Children of the Atom & XvSF won't be a problem. The issue is Capcom getting the funds to get another contract with Marvel going. As stated before, both sides want more MvC, it's money that's the problem
unless Sony foots the bill

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just noticed that people are sharing a lot of rumors, but most of them were false if I recalled correctly.

From top of my head, I recalled those information that are more likely to be true.
  • Gene and Mega Man X almost made to final step on roster planning phase
  • Monster Hunter character were denied to be in MVC3 or UMVC3 by Monster Hunter creators

Neoxon

I just noticed that people are sharing a lot of rumors, but most of them were false if I recalled correctly.

From top of my head, I recalled those information that are more likely to be true.
  • Gene and Mega Man X almost made to final step on roster planning phase
  • Monster Hunter character were denied to be in MVC3 or UMVC3 by Monster Hunter creators
This part is true for certain. I think the first one is true as well, but I'm not 110% sure.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This part is true for certain. I think the first one is true as well, but I'm not 110% sure.

I think it's because I remember someone mentioned it in interview. To be honest, I hope that Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 would be like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 in a retrospect of porting all characters from the game and add more characters there. I don't like to see characters being cut from Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 to Marvel Vs. Capcom 4. I can see that it's unlikely to happens tho.

Neoxon

I think it's because I remember someone mentioned it in interview. To be honest, I hope that Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 would be like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 in a retrospect of porting all characters from the game and add more characters there. I don't like to see characters being cut from Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 to Marvel Vs. Capcom 4. I can see that it's unlikely to happens tho.
No cut characters will be impossible on the Marvel side at least (Capcom will most likely bring as many of the UMvC3 Capcom cast back as possible if MvC4 is a thing). Expect most of the cuts to be from the X-Men & the Fantastic Four franchises. The likes of Wolverine & Deadpool will likely be safe (& maybe Dr. Doom), the same can't be said for the rest. Basically you can say good-bye to Sentinel, Storm, X-23, Jean Grey/Phoenix, maybe Magneto, & Super-Skrull. Likewise, unless Shuma is a villain in one of the Doctor Strange movies in the future, don't expect him to come back (Capcom had to beg for Shuma, & Marvel only allowed Shuma as DLC). This isn't even mentioning the potential split on which Nova to use (Richard Rider, the UMvC3 veteran, or Sam Alexander, Kid Nova).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No cut characters will be impossible on the Marvel side at least (Capcom will most likely bring as many of the UMvC3 Capcom cast back as possible if MvC4 is a thing). Expect most of the cuts to be from the X-Men & the Fantastic Four franchises. The likes of Wolverine & Deadpool will likely be safe (& maybe Dr. Doom), the same can't be said for the rest. Basically you can say good-bye to Sentinel, Storm, X-23, Jean Grey/Phoenix, maybe Magneto, & Super-Skrull. Likewise, unless Shuma is a villain in one of the Doctor Strange movies in the future, don't expect him to come back (Capcom had to beg for Shuma, & Marvel only allowed Shuma as DLC). This isn't even mentioning the potential split on which Nova to use (Richard Rider, the UMvC3 veteran, or Sam Alexander, Kid Nova).

That's what I'm afraid of.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They need to do something like Street Fighter vs Capcom, a vs game they can maintain control over.

It's simple. They could went with Capcom All Stars but for some reason, they haven't really working on it.

I guess they are afraid that it mightn't sell.

Top Bottom