• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Thoughts on the Fate of the Marvel vs. Capcom Series

shaowebb

MvC2 was a quick job, but I couldn't give you a specific time frame. Vanilla MvC3 took around 2 years to make.

And had Dark Phoenix, and a lack of OTG's, and the tech Dante was proven to have left on the table was ridiculous, and it had Xfactor Wolverine, and etc etc etc.

I still had more fun in MVC2. To each their own, but naw man. I'd like the next MVC to be more like TvC.

It was a learning experience though to be fair...if Capcom did another I could easily see them being more careful than before. Probably a shorter dev time though due to cash constraints. For the same reason I get the feeling the DLC would be really really heavy on the title too. However if that meant modes like Heroes and Heralds were bigger and more single player content for them to pump DLC out for was present I'd be very pleased.

Neoxon

And had Dark Phoenix, and a lack of OTG's, and the tech Dante was proven to have left on the table was ridiculous, and it had Xfactor Wolverine, and etc etc etc.

I still had more fun in MVC2. To each their own, but naw man. I'd like the next MVC to be more like TvC.
Vanilla MvC3 definitely had OTGs.

shaowebb

Vanilla MvC3 definitely had OTGs.

Per character? What did Ryu have that was useful? How about in terms of assists? Wesker was the go to for most folks. Chun Li have any useful OTGs? How about Captain America? They were a lot fewer and were one of the first things addressed correctly in Ultimate. Before Ryu pretty much had the Ryu/Wesker setup to really work since he needed that extension.

Neoxon

Per character? What did Ryu have that was useful? How about in terms of assists? Wesker was the go to for most folks. Chun Li have any useful OTGs? How about Captain America? They were a lot fewer and were one of the first things addressed correctly in Ultimate. Before Ryu pretty much had the Ryu/Wesker setup to really work since he needed that extension.
Oh, you meant for every character, fair enough.

Dahbomb

This whole talk about this VS game being more broken than another is just silly as every single VS game is hella broken.

If anything the series has become less broken over time. Children of the Atom was lol worthy, MvC1 managed to have shittier balance than MVC2 despite having only 15 characters etc.

shaowebb

Oh, you meant for every character, fair enough.

Yeah...there were flaws. Like I said they learned though...but they didn't give it enough time to see the other issues for what they would become before Ultimate came out. A new MVC would probably have a laaaaaaaaaarge hitlist of issues to address and not fall into the same pitfalls that MVC3 did.

I wish they had used Baroque and not X Factor...it might have even impacted their designs for how they would have made the MVC3 roster.

My main hope is that the combos are a bit smaller in a MVC4...it gets really old watching long combos and its pretty discouraging for folks trying to get into a game to go for a ride that long and get killed off a touch. Next MVC...more about mixups, mid size combos, lower damage off of stuff and more resets. Having to land more combos and not just longer ones is something I think makes for more intense matches. These are my hopes.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Marvel has been my number one fighting franchise for over a decade now, and UMVC3 is still the only one I actively play and watch every single chance I get, regardless of whose playing. All because of how much new players can bring to the table and a tournament with some different characters or tech.

I'm not holding my hopes up, but if Capcom managed to get some funding to make MVC4 a reality, I'd lose my head. I had even given up hope of a MVC3 way back then after Marvel 2 but lo and behold it actually happened.

It's still an amazing game to me, and the best fighting game out right now period by far.

fckrsjzs5lpmuupsphi4.gif

First I've seen of this, but it animates and looks better than a MK game, I can tell you that.

Dr. Buni

Pretty sure it was dead on arrival in the west.
But if anything I blame the wii exclusivity over anything else.
And yes, TvC bombed really badly in the West, and pretty subpar in Japan as well iirc.
Man, that sucks. That game was so good. The Tatsunoko characters (specially Yatterman/2 and Doronjo) are so fun.
what they need to do is scrap whatever the hell mvc3 was suppose to be and mimic mvc2
Hell yes, bring back SonSon, Ruby Heart and MvC2 Jill please. Then again, I'd hate a new MvC without Amaterasu, Arthur, Viewtiful Joe, etc.

Neoxon

Yeah...there were flaws. Like I said they learned though...but they didn't give it enough time to see the other issues for what they would become before Ultimate came out. A new MVC would probably have a laaaaaaaaaarge hitlist of issues to address and not fall into the same pitfalls that MVC3 did.

I wish they had used Baroque and not X Factor...it might have even impacted their designs for how they would have made the MVC3 roster.

My main hope is that the combos are a bit smaller in a MVC4...it gets really old watching long combos and its pretty discouraging for folks trying to get into a game to go for a ride that long and get killed off a touch. Next MVC...more about mixups, mid size combos, lower damage off of stuff and more resets. Having to land more combos and not just longer ones is something I think makes for more intense matches. These are my hopes.
But Mahvel is synonymous with long combos.

Dr. Buni

My word... If this happened for real... I mean, for real for real, I'd happily retire from games forever.
Someone here really like the Samurai Pizza Cats :D
Now that we're all sad, I'll use this opportunity to show off some of the greatest videogame art from this side of the universe.
Shinkiro art never cease to amaze me.
Capcom has been staying clear of original creations from MvC2.
Why is that, I wonder? SonSon, Ruby Heart and Amingo were nice characters.

Neoxon

Man, that sucks. That game was so good. The Tatsunoko characters (specially Yatterman/2 and Doronjo) are so fun.

Hell yes, bring back SonSon, Ruby Heart and MvC2 Jill please. Then again, I'd hate a new MvC without Amaterasu, Arthur, Viewtiful Joe, etc.
Capcom has been staying clear of original creations from MvC2.

Verder

Doesn't Disney own marvel now?

Disney x Marvel vs Capcom

Fight ryu with characters from the Mickey Mouse universe

Blueblur1

I hope that one of the two parties pursues an MvC4 some time after SF5 releases. If fighting games were more friendly (with other modes and what not) and had more content casual players could enjoy they could appeal to a larger audience. Then the argument for a sequel could be easier to make.

nillapuddin

If you mean full-on 2D, that's never gonna happen.

The 3D fighter models were my biggest detractor from MvC3 hype

Then I played the game, as someone who burnt out 3 dreamcasts playing MvC2, I don't want any continuation based on MvC3

#NicheOpinionProblems

I agree. TvC was probably one of the best Capcom VS games, if not hands down the single best. The fact that, outside of the vs series staples Ryu, Chun and Morrigan, only Joe and Zero made it over from the roster into MvC3 was insanely upsetting to me, and Ultimate also only added one from that roster as well (Frank West).
PTX 40A is the biggest loss for the Capcom roster too, imo. I mean, he was such a cool character in TvC, and Lost Planet was at least moderately successful, and it would've been a perfect "big ass robot" counter-act to Sentinel. Instead we got Akuma, Hsien-Ko (why even bother adding her if you make her so fucking ass, and then even nerf her further in the second iteration?), Trish/Vergil and Nemesis. :|

Seriously, the Capcom roster in TvC was almost entirely perfect.

fader

So what I am gathering here, a new MVC game would take a lot of stars to align in order for this to come into fruition so what I am wondering is, who can replace Marvel? The appeal to MVC was the Marvel cast and how well it attracted the US audience, is there another brand who can have the same impact?

KePoW

Banned
I agree. TvC was probably one of the best Capcom VS games, if not hands down the single best. The fact that, outside of the vs series staples Ryu, Chun and Morrigan, only Joe and Zero made it over from the roster into MvC3 was insanely upsetting to me, and Ultimate also only added one from that roster as well (Frank West).
PTX 40A is the biggest loss for the Capcom roster too, imo. I mean, he was such a cool character in TvC, and Lost Planet was at least moderately successful, and it would've been a perfect "big ass robot" counter-act to Sentinel. Instead we got Akuma, Hsien-Ko (why even bother adding her if you make her so fucking ass, and then even nerf her further in the second iteration?), Trish/Vergil and Nemesis. :|

HEY!!

u here in this thread too Red?!?

Neoxon

Akuma came back because he started the MvC series. We got Trish because one of the DMC directors wanted her in, & Vergil was a fan request.

shaowebb

THIS. Alex felt so perfect and then Soki, Saki, ROLL, Megaman Volnutt,and Batsu...just such wonderful picks the way they functioned to perform in that game's system. Plus we had the wonderful movesets added by the all new Tatsunoko side of the cast. Cashern, Polimar, Yatterman 1&2, Joe the Condor, Jun the Swan, Doronjo, Karas, Ippatsumon, Tekkaman, Tekkman Blade...every single one of them played so cool and stylish!

Plus the way it used air dashes, no wave dashing and very very few beam style attacks made the title a much more enjoyable style of footsies IMO. Less mindlessly covering the entire horizontal space with beams and a lot more careful hopping, and dashing went on. To each their own, but its style of movement appealed to me greatly.

If they just out and out scrapped the trappings of past marvel vs movesets and reimagined for something more along the environment TvC created I'd be way happier.

Right now though if you want faster crazy fighting you should probably start looking at Blaz Blue and Guilty Gear. Its 1v1 so the whole team build thrill is lost but its about as close to the pace of Marvel as you'll get these days given the launchers, and very deep tech aside from waiting for more Skullgirls cast to enter the show. Especially Blaz Blue...more of Marvel GAF should be playing it.

Dahbomb

Vergil is more popular than whatever Capcom character you wanted in UMVC3 aside from MM.

Akuma will forever be in a VS game because it's tradition. He was in fucking Children of the Atom and that game was made up of only X men characters.

These are the facts son.

shaowebb

Vergil is more popular than whatever Capcom character you wanted in UMVC3 aside from MM.

Akuma will forever be in a VS game because it's tradition. He was in fucking Children of the Atom and that game was made up of only X men characters.

These are the facts son.

Could you imagine though if instead of one of the other Ultimate Capcom choices though if Date Masamune had made it in alongside of Vergil too? He was up there in Japan's choices. It would have been hell on folks to face those two on a team. Hitboxes for miles...

also since we keep bringing up TvC just think if a new Marvel moved and felt more like this tvc match

Dahbomb

The best Capcom characters to have included over some of the less popular ones in MVC3:

Captain Commando
Gene
Megaman X
Asura
Regina
Date Masamune or Yukimura Sanada
Rathalos
Samanouske

MM not in MVC3 was a travesty and something that just piled on the whole "Capcom hates MM" narrative.

MVC3 was rushed for sure, but even though we got UMVC3 in the same year, I enjoyed the hell out of both. I definitely got my few hundred hours worth from both games. MVC3 one of my favorite games of all time - it's the reason I went to EVO last year.

MVC4 is a dream that we'll all have to wait for until after SF5 comes out, but I'm hopeful it'll still happen. I do wish UMVC3 would get ported to PS4 so I can 100% officially retire my last gen consoles and get my mahvel fix. :)

Yeah, it really sucks knowing that we likely won't see a new MVC game for a good while. I've been a fan of Capcom's Marvel fighting games since X-Men COTA and have enjoyed all of them.

I don't play Marvel online all that much anymore, but I always have fun in Training Mode. It's one of those games I can literally play in Training Mode for countless hrs without getting bored at all. One thing that bothers me is knowing that this game could've been so much better if Capcom actually gave it support on the level of SF.

Even to this day, reading that Niitsuma didn't have enough time to include the additional 8 characters he had planned for Ultimate still annoys me to no end. I can only imagine who the characters were. Heck, I'm still pissed that they gave up on implementing Dr. Octopus--who was scrapped in Vanilla because of technical issues. I could actually see him playing like Omega Red with command grabs and other long-range attacks.

As for the future of the VS series, I'm also down for a Capcom Vs Capcom in the style of the Marvel series. With its own unique fighting system, of course. That'd be hype.

Seyavesh

also since we keep bringing up TvC just think if a new Marvel moved and felt more like this tvc match

the choppy fps really isn't helping but overall this looks really bad for a marvel 2/3 style game dude... marvel is ultimately defined by it's freedom of movement and these guys are basically playing low tier garbage characters in the scope of marvel 3 with how limited their options are in terms of movement and screen control

like seriously every match i've ever seen of TVC besides giants looks like a chun-li mirror. and that is really bad for a series whose most iconic characters are magneto (2 and 3), storm (2) and sentinel (2), characters who are basically defined by the freedom of their movement allowing interesting situations to occur

this is going into super opinionlord territory but a key factor in why marvel 3 is so damn interesting is the diversity of characters and tools spans down even the most basic of basic things: the movement level. even a seemingly 'harmless' homogenization of toolsets like universal doublejump/airdash radically changes this- an easy example would be how despite being one of the dumbest characters in the game and insanely strong overall, vergil has a serious weakness stemming from his lack of movement options that allows other characters to perform setups easier on him on incoming, thereby giving them a better chance of eliminating him before he lands and becomes a serious problem. it's just a chance, but it creates serious diversity off something like that when otherwise he'd just zoom on out with little-to-no risk and spew shit all over the place like he normally does.

edit:
this should be obvious but by allowing for super strong movement you also open up the box to allow for crazy as hell assists and character toolsets because suddenly characters need to control space better/have better options in general or else those characters with 8-way airdashes/good air movement naturally become the best by miles. it allows players the freedom to express their specific desires much better rather than locking them into a limited toolset. capcom experimented with this and somewhat vaguely succeeded- beyond zero and morrigan who are insanely dumb, about half of the cast is viable on point against those 8way airdashers who seemingly take up the other slots in the top 10 characters (mags, nova, viper, dorm are the usual suspects). and that's pretty crazy considering most of them don't even have a doublejump, nevertheless an airdash!

being focused entirely on the 'ground' game is super misleading because what makes marvel unique and interesting is the fact that a superjump height exists at all. there's a reason why sentinel mirrors are seen as the most entertaining, skillful thing in all fighting games by marvel 2 players and a lot of it is due to the extra dimension added to the 'footsie game' by the virtue of his super fast horizontal and vertical flight movement.

Neoxon

MVC3 was rushed for sure, but even though we got UMVC3 in the same year, I enjoyed the hell out of both. I definitely got my few hundred hours worth from both games. MVC3 one of my favorite games of all time - it's the reason I went to EVO last year.

MVC4 is a dream that we'll all have to wait for until after SF5 comes out, but I'm hopeful it'll still happen. I do wish UMVC3 would get ported to PS4 so I can 100% officially retire my last gen consoles and get my mahvel fix. :)
It's the only reason I keep my PS3 around.

Jawmuncher

The best Capcom characters to have included over some of the less popular ones in MVC3:

Captain Commando
Gene
Megaman X
Asura
Regina
Rathalos
Samanouske

MM not in MVC3 was a travesty and something that just piled on the whole "Capcom hates MM" narrative.

I knew you were a cool dude but this just confirms it.
Especially since she's a perfect fit for a moveset similar to MVC2 Jill.

Dahbomb

I have to agree with all of that (What Seyavesh said) and I am going to bring in what Viscant said about MVC3 when it first came out.

By changing the way stuff like tri dashes, 8 way dashes, ground game and super jumping worked it made it much easier for ground based characters to take on aerial characters. Pretty much every top player agrees that MVC3 will never be as bad as MVC2 in terms of tier gap because someone like Chun Li (thoroughly low tier character) can always bop someone like Magneto (thoroughly top tier character). In MVC2 it was unthinkable that a character like Roll could even touch a Storm.

This allowed the game to have characters who can excel on the ground (Wolverine, Vergil, Strider), characters who can excel in the air (Magneto, Morrigan, Dormammu) and characters who have different ways of moving around (Spencer, Spider Man). The vast difference in tools in the character roster is what makes the game both endearing and frustrating (Magneto has great ground movement and excellent air mobility whereas Arthur has 0 mobility as a character yet Arthur can still fight against Magneto).

I honestly believe that if MVC3 was put through regular balance patches it would be the best fighting game ever (while also adding OG Sentinel and Cable). It would have the theory craft and synergies of DOTA 2 while having the in your face action of a fighting game.

Apparently we were really close to getting God Hand Gene :(
the official reason why didn't got Gene was that a lot of his moves were "M" rated and MVC3 was T rated. They didnt' want to water down the character because he has moves like the Ball Buster and the Ass spank.

Which is fucking bull shit but it's whatever. Gene would've been godlike in a VS game.

Neoxon

Captain Commando
Gene
Megaman X
Asura
Regina
Rathalos
Samanouske

Asura wasn't a thing when UMvC3 came out.

Dahbomb

Capcom side of MVC3 spanks MVC2 to a different universe, it's not even fucking close.

MVC3 Marvel side roster is more current to the appeals of this generation as compared to the 90s appeal of the Marvel MVC2. MVC2's Marvel roster was godly back in the day but now no one really cares about Spiral, Marrow, Blackheart, Silver Samurai or even once popular characters like Gambit. In addition the MVC2 roster was bloated with X Men characters like the Capcom side was bloated with SF characters.

I am a big X Men fan though and I am biased about that but MVC3 offers a more diverse range of the MARVEL universe. If I could take only one roster I would take the MVC3 Marvel roster.

I still miss my Psylock, Cable, Sabertooth and Juggernaut though.

the choppy fps really isn't helping but overall this looks really bad for a marvel 2/3 style game dude... marvel is ultimately defined by it's freedom of movement and these guys are basically playing low tier garbage characters in the scope of marvel 3 with how limited their options are in terms of movement and screen control

like seriously every match i've ever seen of TVC besides giants looks like a chun-li mirror. and that is really bad for a series whose most iconic characters are magneto (2 and 3), storm (2) and sentinel (2), characters who are basically defined by the freedom of their movement allowing interesting situations to occur

this is going into super opinionlord territory but a key factor in why marvel 3 is so damn interesting is the diversity of characters and tools spans down even the most basic of basic things: the movement level. even a seemingly 'harmless' homogenization of toolsets like universal doublejump/airdash radically changes this- an easy example would be how despite being one of the dumbest characters in the game and insanely strong overall, vergil has a serious weakness stemming from his lack of movement options that allows other characters to perform setups easier on him on incoming, thereby giving them a better chance of eliminating him before he lands and becomes a serious problem. it's just a chance, but it creates serious diversity off something like that when otherwise he'd just zoom on out with little-to-no risk and spew shit all over the place like he normally does.

edit:
this should be obvious but by allowing for super strong movement you also open up the box to allow for crazy as hell assists and character toolsets because suddenly characters need to control space better/have better options in general or else those characters with 8-way airdashes/good air movement naturally become the best by miles. it allows players the freedom to express their specific desires much better rather than locking them into a limited toolset. capcom experimented with this and somewhat vaguely succeeded- beyond zero and morrigan who are insanely dumb, about half of the cast is viable on point against those 8way airdashers who seemingly take up the other slots in the top 10 characters (mags, nova, viper, dorm are the usual suspects). and that's pretty crazy considering most of them don't even have a doublejump, nevertheless an airdash!

being focused entirely on the 'ground' game is super misleading because what makes marvel unique and interesting is the fact that a superjump height exists at all. there's a reason why sentinel mirrors are seen as the most entertaining, skillful thing in all fighting games by marvel 2 players and a lot of it is due to the extra dimension added to the 'footsie game' by the virtue of his super fast horizontal and vertical flight movement.

I love TvC, but I kind of have to agree here. TvC is a little more controlled (Zero is still pretty stupid, tho), but I like how MvC3 is something of a fighting game sandbox where you have all of these characters with various movement options and deficiencies, multiple ways to control space, and a ton of assist possibilities on top of that.

Capcom side of MVC3 spanks MVC2 to a different universe, it's not even fucking close.

MVC3 Marvel side roster is more current to the appeals of this generation as compared to the 90s appeal of the Marvel MVC2. MVC2's Marvel roster was godly back in the day but now no one really cares about Spiral, Marrow, Blackheart, Silver Samurai or even once popular characters like Gambit. In addition the MVC2 roster was bloated with X Men characters like the Capcom side was bloated with SF characters.

I am a big X Men fan though and I am biased about that but MVC3 offers a more diverse range of the MARVEL universe. If I could take only one roster I would take the MVC3 Marvel roster.

I still miss my Psylock, Cable, Sabertooth and Juggernaut though.

MvC2 may as well have been named X-Men Vs. Street Fighter 2.

Dahbomb

The funny part is that all of the top tier characters in MVC2 on the Marvel side are X men characters.

Cable
Sentinel
Storm
Magneto
Cyclops
Psylocke

It's gotten to the point where people have modded their Dreamcast to have the intro to the animated X Men series during the character select screen.

And let me tell you... that matches so fucking well with the character select screen.

One of the few games that had me playing so many different teams because of assist gimmicks( ironman repulser assist + captain cross up backflip) or super super combos hailstorm + chaotic flame = instant full screen assist punish. I love how tacs made frank a good middle slot while strider or sent with bars and xf3 made them terrors.

Honestly the best team fighter and such a good game to experiment team concepts on a game design level.

Top Bottom