• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] ZombiU for WiiU

cloudyy

Seriously, I'm absolutely not an fps-guy (I have a hard time using dual-sticks aiming) but this game looks really promising after I read about the instant death, random respawn and the interactions with the second screen. If done well this could basically a the dark soul like fps especially if they nail the multiplayer aspect.

For now what I read, it seems like the multiplayer only involves around a catch-the-flag type of game. It would be way more interesting if the zombies you're fighting during the single player were controlled by random people (a little bit like when you get invaded in darksoul). Playing online as zombie could even be gamepad-only without the use of a tv. Basically playing the human can be considered as the "gamer mode" and playing online as a zombie and invading single player games is the "casual mode" and can be played while drinking a cup of tea and having your 18th rerun of your favorite show on TV.

No really, so much potential in here.

Think this game presents a perfect fit and a perfect time for a more involving reloding process in a games.

Was thinking in a multi step process that varies depending of what gun is equipped. Once the reload button is pressed, the sub screen presents the reloading inventory with a model of the gun and all ammo types. In the case of a 9mm semi auto it could be more or less like this:

1)Eject the magazine from the gun.
2) The user has to select the correct ammo type from all available in the inventory.
3)Tap the button of the gun to secure the magazine in place. The internal speakers emit a click.
4)Guns rotates in real time to a top view. Here the user pulls the slide back wards.

There are other things developers could apply to add some spice and a skill element to the process. For example, they can apply a timing mini game when pulling back the slide with a bar that runs in the inverse direction toward the "sweet spot". The idea here is that the user needs to time the pull to reach that spot at the same time.

Other interesting thing might be on the run reloads
. When initiating a reload while moving the screen elements shake until the user interacts with them. For example, imagine reloading a revolver. The user needs to tab every empty chamber of the barrel but since its walking, the barrel is shaking erratically.

There are multiple gameplay ramifications regarding item management with a mini game like this. The user could have the option to arrange ammo types in the inventory so he instinctively knows in what part of the space certain ammo types will appear.

Taking another look, this definitely seems like it's based off a heavily modified RedSteel engine. The first-person shots really give it away.

I suspect it's using the LyN engine, the same engine used for Red Steel 2 and Beyond Good And Evil 2. The lighting, shadows and environment effects are quite impressive. I've never seen smoke having shadows before, quite impressive imo.

The first Red Steel used a modified Unreal Engine 2.0 as far as I remember.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
New details about what Zombi U took from Dark Souls, from the Creative directors:

When you die, your zombie is sent to an Ubisoft server, and resent to the gamer community, and in priority to your friends. So you can see your friend's gamertage above a zombie, and laugh at him, as you know he died at this point in your game. You can also pick-up your friend's material on its zombie.

Think this game presents a perfect fit and a perfect time for a more involving reloding process in a games.

Was thinking in a multi step process that varies depending of what gun is equipped. Once the reload button is pressed, the sub screen presents the reloading inventory with a model of the gun and all ammo types. In the case of a 9mm semi auto it could be more or less like this:

1)Eject the magazine from the gun.
2) The user has to select the correct ammo type from all available in the inventory.
3)Tap the button of the gun to secure the magazine in place. The internal speakers emit a click.
4)Guns rotates in real time to a top view. Here the user pulls the slide back wards.

There are other things developers could apply to add some spice and a skill element to the process. For example, they can apply a timing mini game when pulling back the slide with a bar that runs in the inverse direction toward the "sweet spot". The idea here is that the user needs to time the pull to reach that spot at the same time.

Other interesting thing might be on the run reloads
. When initiating a reload while moving the screen elements shake until the user interacts with them. For example, imagine reloading a revolver. The user needs to tab every empty chamber of the barrel but since its walking, the barrel is shaking erratically.

There are multiple gameplay ramifications regarding item management with a mini game like this. The user could have the option to arrange ammo types in the inventory so he instinctively knows in what part of the space certain ammo types will appear.

I think that would be cool.

Too many games have novices that are masters of gunplay and can reload a gun in less than a second. How about a game where the protagonist has to stumble around to get his gun reloaded? That would be great for this game, especially because of the permadeath.

jonno394

New details about what Zombi U took from Dark Souls, from the Creative directors:

When you die, your zombie is sent to an Ubisoft server, and resent to the gamer community, and in priority to your friends. So you can see your friend's gamertage above a zombie, and laugh at him, as you know he died at this point in your game. You can also pick-up your friend's material on its zombie.

Sounds good to me.

Send a message afterwards asking your friend "how the eff did you die there!!??"

I think that would be cool.

Too many games have novices that are masters of gunplay and can reload a gun in less than a second. How about a game where the protagonist has to stumble around to get his gun reloaded? That would be great for this game, especially because of the permadeath.
I think a reloading mini game it's very fitting to this game.

Also Ubisoft could explore the differences of a tactical reload vs an emergency one. Penalize the compulsive reloader by making them lose ammo.

Though a reloading evolution would be awesome, I'm not so sure it would work too well on the sub screen. Generally, you wouldn't have to look at a gun to reload it, but you do have to look in a bag to find something quickly. Again, I just mean generally. A change in ammo type I could see, but I think the reloading mechanic itself should be relegated to the buttons and analog...maybe even the gyro as well.

Dunno if this was mentioned, but I just watched interesting impressions on the multiplayer on msnbc.com (of all places). He said the experience was akin to the GamePad player playing Plants vs. Zombies and the Pro Controller player playing Left 4 Dead, giving a "casual" and a "hardcore" gamer the chance to have a shared game experience. Putting aside all the debates over whether the game looks good/is actually fun/etc., that's a pretty interesting concept and is definitely consistent with Nintendo's stated philosophy with the Wii/Wii U.

Anustart

I'm pretty stoked about this game. When it comes to shooters, I don't play many of them, and when I do, it's usually stuff like doom 3 and the like. So this kind of looks similar and should satisfy my blood lust.

stuminus3

I think that can be put down to the fact that the Wii U is a more conventional idea for a console than the Wii. There was a distinct lack of familiarity with the Wii control systems, and that isn't really a problem this time.
Yes. That, and the fact that Red Steel was a genuinely terrible game regardless. Otherwise, yes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I just hope they have enough time for some polish and a full experience. The concept is really cool.

Indeed. Let's hope E3 reactions will convince Ubisoft to dedicate more ressources to this team.

I think after the hype that has managed to build up during the very few days we've known about it and the fact that it's (so far!) the game that utilises the new controller better than any others, I can see Nintendo lending a hand with marketing. It's going to be a big system seller imo.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Eurogamer preview:
It was very tempting to ignore Ubisoft's Wii U survival horror ZombiU on the E3 showfloor last week. The combination of that anonymous title and the seemingly gimmicky gameplay demo shown during Nintendo's conference gave off a very distinctive whiff of Red Steel, the French publisher's limp attempt at a quick core offering for early Wii adopters back in 2006.

But in the interests of being fully comprehensive we duly hauled ourselves over to Ubisoft's booth for a quick look. And believe it or not, what lay in wait was one of the few genuine surprises of the week, offering some of the most creative, imaginative design on show not just for the Wii U but for any console shooter on display.
Yes, ZombiU is essentially a first person survival horror take on From Software's brilliantly menacing two-steps-forward, one-step-back template. And Ubisoft Montpelier's Gabrielle Shrager is not ashamed to admit it.

"It's my all-time favourite game," she happily confesses.

"Real immersion and real fear comes from the fact that you're going to lose your stuff, your abilities, your character."

Gabrielle Shrager, Ubisoft Montreal

"Real immersion and real fear comes from the fact that you're going to lose your stuff, your abilities, your character. In Dark Souls you're sh****** yourself the whole time from every angle. If we can even get close to that sensation of 'oh god, run away, run away, run away'... you know how the enemies in Dark Souls will chase you for hours - that epic AI? And without a single word being spoken in-game. That's true immersion.
"There's no way you can expect to instill fear in a player if you have scripted events that appear twice in a game. So you won't see the same surprise twice [in ZombiU]. The level design changes every time.

Full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-12-zombiu-preview-wii-us-surprise-package

Penguin

Also promises a 12 hour single player campaign.

Well that means like 8 hours, and good to see has a full campaign.

I know some folks were worried when they said didn't have a normal plot structure.

Actually, that preview seems to be saying all the right things.

Different factions. Some Walking Dead esque moments with different individuals reacting differently to their circumstances.

pitt_norton

That Eurogamer writeup has me wanting my hands on this game game right away.

"It's incredibly important for us to have persistence in the game - you go into an area and maybe there are no zombies one time, but the next time there's an entire horde. And you can back out, take a look at your CCTV cameras in the safe house, and spot that there's an Uzi in another area which will help you get the job done."

Sigh... Survival horror, how I missed you~

LOCK

I hope this is polished some more also. I know there is room to grow on the graphics side, and fixing some of those reported bugs.

I find this game fascinating.

totowhoa

Banned
You just might have a great new ip hete Ubi.
You might want to try and polish this to the max.

My second favorite new IP behind watch dogs (I guess that's not saying much, but still). If this game gets the treatment it deserves, I'll be pumped. I REALLY hope this game gets delayed and is not forced to launch. Even if my system has to gather dust for a month or two after NSMBU and whatever other decent launch game I grab, I'd far prefer that to a rushed game with a great idea that doesn't quite execute everything properly... which is what I'm afraid could happen here.

My second favorite new IP behind watch dogs (I guess that's not saying much, but still). If this game gets the treatment it deserves, I'll be pumped. I REALLY hope this game gets delayed and is not forced to launch. Even if my system has to gather dust for a month or two after NSMBU and whatever other decent launch game I grab, I'd far prefer that to a rushed game with a great idea that doesn't quite execute everything properly... which is what I'm afraid could happen here.

You know being at launch doesn't necessarily mean it'll be rushed...

That Eurogamer article has really good info:

Similarly, any friends killed while playing the game on another machine will also pop up as a zombie and attempt to rip chunks off you.
So not only looting friend's backpacks but also zombies appearing, sounds great but I wonder how they will balance it.

You'll inch forward through the game bit by bit, collecting new items to open new areas, Metroid-style, before eventually being killed and kicked back to the safehouse.
That is great news and confirms my guess that it'll be a bit like Dead Rising 2 with a hub opening up to a world around.

Like Valve's much-loved multiplayer shooter, ZombiU's enemy placement will differ every time you play, in an attempt to keep things unexpected, replayable and, crucially, scary.
That's equally reassuring. I wonder how far they'll go. No closet zombie at every play-through?

While the Nintendo conference demo suggested that the game might be a rather straightforward affair centered on bite-sized missions and regular mini-games, the reality appears much richer, with a 12-hour main campaign promised.
So around 6-8 hours then - longer than your average FPS campaign at least. Replayability seems to be there. Give me a nightmare difficulty and I'm set.

Your progression through the game is dictated by three different mission-giving NPCs, all with conflicting motivations.
This is a good idea, seems to be a bit like Dead Island in that regard.

Rather less welcome though is the motion-controlled crossbow aiming that asks you to clumsily hold the controller up to the screen to line-up your target.
I wonder about this though. Is the implementation clumsy? Or do they just don't like gyro aiming? (it's good if done well imo)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Everything about this game sounds so freaking cool. I hope Ubisoft gives the team all the support they need because ZombiU has a chance of becoming a new great series.

Linkhero1

All the impressions I've read and all the footage I've seen have convinced me to buy this game. Day 1 for me even if I do not buy a Wii U until next year.

Effect

I wonder about this though. Is the implementation clumsy? Or do they just don't like gyro aiming? (it's good if done well imo)

Always have to be careful about this in the end. I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion on this unless I knew they've played plenty of motion control games and games that used the gyro and was also a fan of motion controls in general. Controls can be great but if a person hates motion controls (for their own reasons or just because) they can and will crap on the controls all day long.

Seriously, I'm absolutely not an fps-guy (I have a hard time using dual-sticks aiming) but this game looks really promising after I read about the instant death, random respawn and the interactions with the second screen. If done well this could basically a the dark soul like fps especially if they nail the multiplayer aspect.

For now what I read, it seems like the multiplayer only involves around a catch-the-flag type of game. It would be way more interesting if the zombies you're fighting during the single player were controlled by random people (a little bit like when you get invaded in darksoul). Playing online as zombie could even be gamepad-only without the use of a tv. Basically playing the human can be considered as the "gamer mode" and playing online as a zombie and invading single player games is the "casual mode" and can be played while drinking a cup of tea and having your 18th rerun of your favorite show on TV.

No really, so much potential in here.

I adore this idea of having single player games be opened to online players randomly invading their games as zombies to try to kill them.

having dark souls as a goal is big plus for them; seems they have actually played some games, have good taste and want to rip good stuff from them and put them in ZombiU; hope they succeed in the execution.

Terrell

Dunno if this was mentioned, but I just watched interesting impressions on the multiplayer on msnbc.com (of all places). He said the experience was akin to the GamePad player playing Plants vs. Zombies and the Pro Controller player playing Left 4 Dead, giving a "casual" and a "hardcore" gamer the chance to have a shared game experience. Putting aside all the debates over whether the game looks good/is actually fun/etc., that's a pretty interesting concept and is definitely consistent with Nintendo's stated philosophy with the Wii/Wii U.

Yeah, people were looking at the touchscreen on this and going "what does this really bring to the experience?" But they were always looking at it from a single-player experience. Whereas I always saw it as "cool, now I could play the SAME game with my mom that I enjoy because she can enjoy it doing something different and more approachable, instead of playing the same simple games because that's all she can play at her skill level."

It's a powerful thing, and has an added benefit: eventually, once they've got to sit and watch you play with the sticks, they might go "hey, could I try playing that?" and you take the Gamepad to assist their playthrough so they don't feel like a fucking noob and rage-quit.

Instro

I hope this is polished some more also. I know there is room to grow on the graphics side, and fixing some of those reported bugs.

I find this game fascinating.

I believe it was mentioned in one of the other threads, but apparently they were saying on the show floor that there will be a new build at Gamescom with visual improvements. Or maybe it was in this thread.

Wow... Now that I think about it... Has there only been positive impressions posted about this game? I don't think I've heard anything negative about the demo.

Glass Joe

That Eurogamer article has really good info:

So not only looting friend's backpacks but also zombies appearing, sounds great but I wonder how they will balance it.

What would be cool is if the character you and your friend's use for that situation is based on your face. Then you see your friend, dead, running around like a zombie using that zombie-face gimmick they showed on stage. Otherwise I imagine seeing a lot of the "default first characters" running around... still cool but less exciting.

Yeah I'm not sure. The actual sniping looks promising. Maybe it's intentionally a little clumsy because, well, I imagine using a crossbow compared to a gun IS quite clumsy?

What would be cool is if the character you and your friend's use for that situation is based on your face. Then you see your friend, dead, running around like a zombie using that zombie-face gimmick they showed on stage. Otherwise I imagine seeing a lot of the "default first characters" running around... still cool but less exciting.
Sounds interesting, are you talking about the asymmetrical multiplayer game in which one player takes the roll of game master?

Other thing that would be a nice touch is using that face zombie transforming app to upload pictures of user faces to the server and they randomly populate different games. The player uploads the face with a custom dog tag and the game keeps track of which custom Zombies you have killed.

They are also using the message idea from demon souls, living text on the walls that can be seen with a black light.

If they keep adding features to the game it could be the surprise hit of the launch line up and do very well in sales. At least it seems to have more quality than Red Steel and that did pretty well.

You didn't play Left 4 Dead 1/2?
I haven't played the second one, but what I remember, the first one was Serious Sam in confined space (in the sense that your cleared your way through by killing enemies, rather than surviving, or trying avoid them if possible, etc. both games are mostly about how much you can kill)

No, but it could mean they just don't have time enough to make it as they want.
I think it will depend on how much of Killer Freaks have moved into this project; that game was in development for 360/PS3 at first, so I think ZombiU 'can' effectively have been in development for like 2-3 years.

@below
This sounds like one of the most interesting Wii U titles, for sure. But they need to change that name. Really.
This is a reference to Ubisoft's first game, Zombi (which is the Zombie in french); and you gonna love Zombi360, ZombiPS3, etc. :D

Top Bottom