• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[N-Conf] ZombiU for WiiU

radcliff

Does anyone know if we can use the WiiMote for this game. We would still need the Gamepad for the backback stuff, but I would imagine we could still use the WiiMote for normal gameplay. I perfer IR aiming to dual analog.

gogogow

Show me a game on Wii with these kind of models. Yes, it's nothing the PS3/360 can't do, but IGN's "polished up Wii game" my ass.

zombieu2d5c9a.jpg

zombieu3caioz.jpg

Wii House of the Dead Overkill

house-of-dead-overkill-wii-21.jpg

Log4Girlz

Show me a game on Wii with these kind of models. Yes, it's nothing the PS3/360 can't do, but IGN's "polished up Wii game" my ass.

zombieu2d5c9a.jpg

zombieu3caioz.jpg

You're right, does look better than a polished Wii game. You're also right, it's nothing the HD Twins can't do and doesn't even come close to their best. This is what's disappointing to anyone who was anticipating something graphically impressive shown at E3. There were 6 speculation threads, tens of thousands of posts. Dreams dashed.

The graphics may improve dramatically before launch, or perhaps not. Could be a AAA fun game, its certainly a great concept.

You're right, does look better than a polished Wii game. You're also right, it's nothing the HD Twins can't do and doesn't even come close to their best. This is what's disappointing to anyone who was anticipating something graphically impressive shown at E3. There were 6 speculation threads, tens of thousands of posts. Dreams dashed.

The graphics may improve dramatically before launch, or perhaps not. Could be a AAA fun game, its certainly a great concept.
you are really persistent.

Let it put this way; isn't AC3 graphically impressive? There are very few titles looking better than it, and even not all of them are released.

Log4Girlz

you are really persistent.

Let it put this way; isn't AC3 graphically impressive? There are very few titles looking better than it, and even not all of them are released.

The Wii U version wasn't showcased at the conference like Zombi U. Its a multi-plat game and only matches 6 year old hardware. Again, would have been nice if Zombi U showed off what Ubi can do technically on the graphics side, its a disappointment currently as shown. Looks fun though.

fuck it, i'm considering this a sequel to Ubi's earlier Zombi game, that was a very thinly veiled take on Dawn of the Dead, and was a pretty goddamn great game. there are similarities beyond the name too, such as control of multiple survivors.

Donnie

Looks worse than the screen shot in the OP. Considering how often bullshots are bandied about, I am not confident in what I'm seeing.

Let's share what IGN had to say:

"Graphically, Zombi U isn’t enormously impressive – this is early code, obviously, but it’s currently a far cry from the target-render concept imagery shown off in the debut trailer at Ubisoft’s conference yesterday (you can look at that above). In motion it's like a polished-up Wii game. If there's one thing that can change before release, though, it's this, so I'm not concerned about it at the moment. The underlying concepts and the usage of the touchscreen controller are both impressive enough to shine through regardless."

Do you believe your own eyes or subjective comments? You can spend all the time in the world polishing up a game on Wii but it still wouldn't allow for anything near those kinds of poly counts or textures, or lighting for that matter.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Let's share what IGN had to say:

"Graphically, Zombi U isn’t enormously impressive – this is early code, obviously, but it’s currently a far cry from the target-render concept imagery shown off in the debut trailer at Ubisoft’s conference yesterday (you can look at that above). In motion it's like a polished-up Wii game. If there's one thing that can change before release, though, it's this, so I'm not concerned about it at the moment. The underlying concepts and the usage of the touchscreen controller are both impressive enough to shine through regardless."
I had no idea IGN regarded wii's capabilities this high. On the contrary, I was always left with the impression the wii was perceived as sub-gamecube levels. ..Wait, I get it now -- what IGN mean to say, is that zombiU looks like a decent cube game. Gotcha.

I can't believe people have been in all seriousness using that IGN quote to promote a point.. No, wait, I lied - I easily can.

Log4Girlz

Do you believe your own eyes or subjective comments? You can spend all the time in the world polishing up a game on Wii but it still wouldn't allow for anything near those kinds of poly counts or textures, or lighting for that matter.

Already addressed this sometime ago?

zombieu2d5c9a.jpg

zombieu3caioz.jpg

wildfire

Banned
"The multiplayer game was basically a version of capture the flag, but with a few modifications. There were four flag points on the map that needed to be captured. Instead of grabbing flags, you had to stand at a flag spot for a certain amount of time. Eventually this would allow you to claim the flag point for yourself, much like King of the Hill modes in other games. Sounds pretty standard until you realize how multiplayer works.

If you're playing as the survivor side of things, it's going to be you up against a never-ending army of zombies. You'll have to defend your flag points that you've captured from invading zombies, but you also need to keep them off your back as you capture flag points. Again, this all sounds like pretty standard FPS multiplayer. That's because the survivor aspect of multiplayer is. The infected side of things is much different.

Playing as the infected gives you a bird's eye view via the Wii U GamePad screen. You're looking down on the entire level, including where the flag points are. This map is also running in real time, meaning you can see where the survivor is and where they're running to. It's your job to stop them from grabbing flag points, and you do that by dropping down zombies into the level.

The GamePad player can only place zombies in areas of the map that aren't colored red. Red zones show you where you can't start a zombie off. Any other part of the map is fair game. All you do is tap a spot and that spawns a zombie in the level. You can then take a look up at the TV and watch your zombie hunt down the survivor and hopefully take them out!

Even more interesting is the fact that you have 4 different zombie types to choose from. One zombie type is super fast by easy to take down. The other types involve different power and speed levels, and using the right zombies in the right places can lead to you taking out the survivor in the middle of their plan. The perfect combination can allow you to block off the survivor from all directions and swarm all at once.

Furthermore, the zombies can actually capture flag points as well! That means you can take out the survivor to win or try to capture all four flag points as zombies. It's completely up to your own interest in strategies. I found myself really getting into the plotting of what zombie went where and then watched the TV to see how my plans played out.

I honestly was very impressed with ZombieU. The game was still rough around the edges, but that's to be expected with it being currently under development. My interest in ZombiU was on the fence until I played today. The game's multiplayer mode absolutely sold me on the title, as I found it to be truly unique and engaging, all while it put a twist on the familiar FPS multiplayer modes we all know."

The single player interests me a lot but I feel there's a lot more to criticize in the multiplayer. I hope they test it thoroughly and get the zombi variety, cooldown on spawning zombies, etc. right.

I still think they should have a multiplayer game where players can make custom achievement goals and players put up scarce resources as collateral if they lose or win the bet.

Log4Girlz

"The multiplayer game was basically a version of capture the flag, but with a few modifications. There were four flag points on the map that needed to be captured. Instead of grabbing flags, you had to stand at a flag spot for a certain amount of time. Eventually this would allow you to claim the flag point for yourself, much like King of the Hill modes in other games. Sounds pretty standard until you realize how multiplayer works.

If you're playing as the survivor side of things, it's going to be you up against a never-ending army of zombies. You'll have to defend your flag points that you've captured from invading zombies, but you also need to keep them off your back as you capture flag points. Again, this all sounds like pretty standard FPS multiplayer. That's because the survivor aspect of multiplayer is. The infected side of things is much different.

Playing as the infected gives you a bird's eye view via the Wii U GamePad screen. You're looking down on the entire level, including where the flag points are. This map is also running in real time, meaning you can see where the survivor is and where they're running to. It's your job to stop them from grabbing flag points, and you do that by dropping down zombies into the level.

The GamePad player can only place zombies in areas of the map that aren't colored red. Red zones show you where you can't start a zombie off. Any other part of the map is fair game. All you do is tap a spot and that spawns a zombie in the level. You can then take a look up at the TV and watch your zombie hunt down the survivor and hopefully take them out!

Even more interesting is the fact that you have 4 different zombie types to choose from. One zombie type is super fast by easy to take down. The other types involve different power and speed levels, and using the right zombies in the right places can lead to you taking out the survivor in the middle of their plan. The perfect combination can allow you to block off the survivor from all directions and swarm all at once.

Furthermore, the zombies can actually capture flag points as well! That means you can take out the survivor to win or try to capture all four flag points as zombies. It's completely up to your own interest in strategies. I found myself really getting into the plotting of what zombie went where and then watched the TV to see how my plans played out.

I honestly was very impressed with ZombieU. The game was still rough around the edges, but that's to be expected with it being currently under development. My interest in ZombiU was on the fence until I played today. The game's multiplayer mode absolutely sold me on the title, as I found it to be truly unique and engaging, all while it put a twist on the familiar FPS multiplayer modes we all know."

The single player interests me a lot but I feel there's a lot more to criticize in the multiplayer. I hope they test it thoroughly and get the zombi variety, cooldown on spawning zombies, etc. right.

I still think they should have a multiplayer game where players can make custom achievement goals and players put up scarce resources as collateral if they lose or win the bet.

I love the idea of controlling the infected, similar to what they showed in Killer Freaks and opening portals for enemies to come through.

Sirius

Looks impressively realistic for something we'll be shifting focus from, and then back again. From the gameplay vids it looks like there'll be a lot of double-screening, shifting focus and double-taking, etc.

And I think this single-life take on the Zombie Survival genre is going to go places, that's the element which will freak me out the most I reckon.. having been so used to REspawns.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Does anyone know if we can use the WiiMote for this game. We would still need the Gamepad for the backback stuff, but I would imagine we could still use the WiiMote for normal gameplay. I perfer IR aiming to dual analog.

Mee too, but it doesn't seem so...unfortunately. it seems an old decision (and also odd decision to me :p ) due to the fact that also Killer freaks had this gamepad VS classic pad mode:

KILLER-FREAKS_SCREENSHOT_VERSUS_MODE.jpg

Mael

It's true that it could easily lead to massive trolling too.
But it's impressive if you put it in the context of rpg games because then you get basically Dungeon Keeper + Loot Rpg in the same context and you go back to what IS tabletop rpg which is so much overdue!

I love the idea of controlling the infected, similar to what they showed in Killer Freaks and opening portals for enemies to come through.
Do you control the infected hands on or do you just give pointers to where they'll go?

Do you know. If I can get over the fact that Nintendo delivered a new console in 2012 that on par with the HD twins.

What does that even means?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

zombieu2d5c9a.jpg

zombieu3caioz.jpg

Do you know. If I can get over the fact that Nintendo delivered a new console in 2012 that on par with the HD twins.

Well, this game does look kinda fun. I game best played on a big screen with the sound pumping through a nice AV system and the lights off for maximum effect.

wildfire

Banned
It's true that it could easily lead to massive trolling too.
But it's impressive if you put it in the context of rpg games because then you get basically Dungeon Keeper + Loot Rpg in the same context and you go back to what IS tabletop rpg which is so much overdue!

I see what you are saying here but that is lavishing the multiplayer with praise for design goals that aren't intended to be and couldn't be met.

To go that far ubisoft has to set up an infrastructure where survivors can video chat with each other and the multiplayer had free form creation tools like GTA IV.

The Wii U version wasn't showcased at the conference like Zombi U. Its a multi-plat game and only matches 6 year old hardware. Again, would have been nice if Zombi U showed off what Ubi can do technically on the graphics side, its a disappointment currently as shown. Looks fun though.
yes it has; at looks better than 99% of HD games.

but honestly, this title is not the one to expect extraordinary graphics from; ZombiU is already have the best graphics the poor dev can deliver;

just let it be :D

Mael

It seems you let them loose. Would be cool as hell if you can control any which one you want at any time though.

Exactly!
Which is also why I feel like this has some really cool potential.
I have no interest in anything they've shown so far but if this and NSMBU are launch title, I'll be there too I think

I see what you are saying here but that is lavishing the multiplayer with praise for design goals that aren't intended to be and couldn't be met.

To go that far ubisoft has to set up an infrastructure where survivors can video chat with each other and the multiplayer had free form creation tools like GTA IV.

Actually the UPad have enough to provide video chat, no? and as far as creation tools go, it could be with only placing traps and monsters (and for my rpg idea, the map is basically randomly generated and the game master(Infected player) places traps and monsters).
I don't think it's undoable now.

The concept looks interesting, yet I don't quite get where the novelty is in using another screen for something that we normally get in other games using traditional control schemes.

Take precision aiming for example: why do we need to look at the wii U controller showing the exact same thing your typical fps would show in such a situation?

Yes, you can use gyro-aiming; other than that is just seems a bit counter-intuitive. Especially when the bigger screen just darkens and prompts you with "look at wii U controller" (I know, it's an e3 demo, so maybe that will change).

Same goes for other actions, like looting. Besides, the game is first-person, and switches to third when you need to look at the controller, yet nothing interesting happens.

Intrigued, but not impressed.

Mael

The concept looks interesting, yet I don't quite get where the novelty is in using another screen for something that we normally get in other games using traditional control schemes.

Take precision aiming for example: why do we need to look at the wii U controller showing the exact same thing your typical fps would show in such a situation?

Yes, you can use gyro-aiming; other than that is just seems a bit counter-intuitive. Especially when the bigger screen just darkens and prompts you with "look at wii U controller" (I know, it's an e3 demo, so maybe that will change).

Same goes for other actions, like looting. Besides, the game is first-person, and switches to third when you need to look at the controller, yet nothing interesting happens.

The genius of the UPad is not really when you're playing a survivor it seems (I can be wrong too), but more when you're playing the infected guys and you use the map displayed on the touchscreen to play.
For the rest outside of cool features you could use a wiimote/nun for better play.

Uhh, did you watch the videos? Zombies can still sneak up on you...that's the point of letting you see around you when you pick locks, loot, etc

This seems like the Wii U's Red Steel. The launch-window third-party game hyped up to appeal to the 'core' gamer, using the controller in bold ways. Initially cool, ultimately shite.

Effect

I think this is something we might see more about. Or at least this is what Nintendo is hoping for. While better looking is always better and I can't wait to play Watch_Dog if the end product looks like what was shown off of the PC demo but how one plays the game is also important. For what ZombiU is trying to do it doesn't have to be the best looking game on the market. What's more important is how it controls, how balanced it is, and the how the AI works. At least to me I think those are the more important things to be concerned with, not that if doesn't look better then your normal 360/PS3 game and there is a good chance that might not be the case.

This outside of Watch_Dog was the game that caught my attention the most and still does. I don't normally like horror games (Resident Evil: Revelations was the first RE game I played for example and I will have the lights on with movies that I end up watching) but the concept is interesting enough that I'm willing to give this a try in the end.

Uhh, did you watch the videos? Zombies can still sneak up on you...that's the point of letting you see around you when you pick locks, loot, etc

Yes, I did. I mean, there's nothing really new, that's the whole point.

It's like L4D when healing/doing actions. Or Dead Space when you open the inventory.

I should have explained it better; It just (at this point) doesn't seem to have really new ideas. Already proven gameplay solutions adapted to the new controller.

Intriguing, as I said. But for now there's nothing that makes me say "wow, I never thought of that" or "that's something we've never been able to do in such a convincing/immersive way".

I'm not denying the potential here, of course.

Log4Girlz

I think this is something we might see more about. Or at least this is what Nintendo is hoping for. While better looking is always better and I can't wait to play Watch_Dog if the end product looks like what was shown off of the PC demo but how one plays the game is also important. For what ZombiU is trying to do it doesn't have to be the best looking game on the market. What's more important is how it controls, how balanced it is, and the how the AI works. At least to me I think those are the more important things to be concerned with, not that if doesn't look better then your normal 360/PS3 game and there is a good chance that might not be the case.

This outside of Watch_Dog was the game that caught my attention the most and still does. I don't normally like horror games (Resident Evil: Revelations was the first RE game I played for example and I will have the lights on with movies that I end up watching) but the concept is interesting enough that I'm willing to give this a try in the end.

I like Watchdogs, something seems off, like its doable on current gen with some sacrifices. Kinda like Witcher 2 for Xbox 360.

evangd007

This seems like the Wii U's Red Steel. The launch-window third-party game hyped up to appeal to the 'core' gamer, using the controller in bold ways. Initially cool, ultimately shite.

But unlike Red Steel, the impressions from the first playable demos are near-universally good.

But unlike Red Steel, the impressions from the first playable demos are near-universally good.
I think that can be put down to the fact that the Wii U is a more conventional idea for a console than the Wii. There was a distinct lack of familiarity with the Wii control systems, and that isn't really a problem this time.

Mael

Yes, I did. I mean, there's nothing really new, that's the whole point.

It's like L4D when healing/doing actions. Or Dead Space when you open the inventory.

I should have explained it better; It just (at this point) doesn't seem to have really new ideas. Already proven gameplay solutions adapted to the new controller.

Intriguing, as I said. But for now there's nothing that makes me say "wow, I never thought of that" or "that's something we've never been able to do in such a convincing/immersive way".

I'm not denying the potential here, of course.

Actually I may be wrong here but I don't recall L4D letting you control the flow of the undead trying to dispatch the players.
But I can be wrong.

I think that can be put down to the fact that the Wii U is a more conventional idea for a console than the Wii. There was a distinct lack of familiarity with the Wii control systems, and that isn't really a problem this time.

Or because ZombiU is more sound idea than Red Steel....But that's just me (and I don't even hate RS, I actually liked it!)

Actually I may be wrong here but I don't recall L4D letting you control the flow of the undead trying to dispatch the players.
But I can be wrong.

He, nice try.

I was obviously referencing to the singleplayer alone.

And yes, the multiplayer solutions are new.

Sirius

Taking another look, this definitely seems like it's based off a heavily modified RedSteel engine. The first-person shots really give it away.

Polk

Taking another look, this definitely seems like it's based off a heavily modified RedSteel engine. The first-person shots really give it away.
Didn't RedSteel use Unreal Engine 2.X?
I can't imagine game in 2012 using UE2.

???? This is developed by Montreal, not Paris.

Actually, its Ubisoft Montpellier (the rayman origins, BG&E2, From Dust guys).

To the guy you replied to, this game started as a 360 title called Killer Rabbids. It was then turned into the Wii U title called Killer Freaks from Outer Space which then became ZombiU. So, it definitely is not the red steel engine.

Mlatador

Banned
Wiimote support please.

you can put the Wii U pad on a stand with rubber feet in front of you, play the game with Wiimote and Nunchuck and press buttons on the Wii U Pad as the same time - that's really not a problem.

Dual analog only would turn me off a little.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Montpellier, actually, which is at least in France. But no one is using a Wii engine on a modern platform.

Actually, its Ubisoft Montpellier (the rayman origins, BG&E2, From Dust guys).

To the guy you replied to, this game started as a 360 title called Killer Rabbids. It was then turned into the Wii U title called Killer Freaks from Outer Space which then became ZombiU. So, it definitely is not the red steel engine.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I knew it was from the Origins/BG&E2 guys, just got my studios mixed up.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
1 minute and 14 seconds. That is the time G4 spent covering this game.

Top Bottom