• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog nearly had Crash Bandicoot game inside Uncharted 4

This will be used as evidence before next year's E3 when people are waiting for Crash, Agent and Silent Hills.

"Yeah they said it's not Sony's, but why even mention it then!?!?! itshappening.gif #crashspiracy"

J-Skee

Selling the Crash Bandicoot IP to Activision has to be one of the worst decisions SCE has ever made. Imagine a new game with the same visual fidelity as the new Ratchet & Clank game. Why, Sony, why?

Zubz

Banned
I feel like they could've just made another attitude-filled 90s mascot if this was only for a mini-game. Still, it sucks knowing that Naughty Dog will never work on Crash again. All these years later, and Crash 3's still my favorite game by the company. Although that's probably (Or certainly) nostalgia-driven. I really wish Activision would just give the IP up, or if there was some way ND could get it back from them.

Way of the Warrior or bust.

This man knows what's up. I mean, if this arcade/Drake playing games at home section can't use Crash, maybe they could have him play Way of the Warrior or some other pre-Crash Naughty Dog game instead? It even looked like one of those awful video games you'd see in a sitcom parody as it was, so it'd be perfect for a "video game character plays video game" section! They'd have to worry about the Rob Zombie OST and the fact that each character was played by a different actor, but I'm sure they'd be fine with it all these years later, and I'm still convinced that half of the actors were Naughty Dog staff/their family members, anyway. Just play some generic song called "Dragenstein" instead of the actual OST and we'll be golden.

Selling the Crash Bandicoot IP to Activision has to be one of the worst decisions SCE has ever made. Imagine a new game with the same visual fidelity as the new Ratchet & Clank game. Why, Sony, why?
They never sold it, because they never owned it.
Crash was an "Universal" IP. Activision bought it later on.
Sony never owned it. Naughty Dog was "just the dev".

fernoca

Really wish Sony owned Crash. What could've been.
Probably be the same.
A few sequels that while fun and functional, along with good production values like visuals, sense of humor and comedy... did nothing big to advance the series.

Heck, we got more Crash games after moving on from the exclusivity with Sony, than Jak and Daxter games which Sony owns.

So, yeah the same. Don't know why some assume Activision killed and has no interest in Crash, when Sony has done the same with their own.

pswii60

Really wish Sony owned Crash. What could've been.

Knack shows what could've been. That game is the nearest thing Sony has done to Crash, since Crash. And it sucked.

It's fine using an IP, but you need someone to develop it and ND is working on much bigger things these days.

Honestly, Crash screams '90s'. Ratchet & Clank, debuting 6 years after Crash, is definitely more evergreen and still holds up today. Surely Sony would be better investing in creating a new platformer IP and characters for a modern audience, one that isn't Knack anyway. EDIT: And SCE didn't sell the IP to Activision, they never owned it.

Servbot24

Banned

I'm imaging it, and it's heading in Sonic's direction.

Leave Crash in the 90s where he belongs.

Blobbers

Sully: "C'mon, Nate, stop foolin' around."
Nate: "Hold on, I gotta check this game out."

*chiptune music*
Popmoon Games present: Detective
Press START to begin

SCE never owned the IP. Universal did and later on Sierra.

Crash Bandicoot makes too much money on PSN every week for Sony to allow you to play one of the games in Uncharted 4 anyway. The original trilogy is still a PS1 Classics goldmine.

Pepin

When I first saw the title I was like

lbF14LD.gif

But then I read it properly :(

Even if Sony had the rights I seriously doubt they would have naughty dog do it. I'd imagine they are happy with the other things that dev puts out. Crash is cool but you don't put your best devs on something like that. I can see the knack team working on it though.

Despite the undisputed fact that Activision owns the IP I still think its in the wrong hands. As long as they've had it they haven't managed to recapture and reimagine the quality of the originals. The quality and popularity seems only to have declined due to it.

Its an odd situation though. Activision owns the IP, Sony owns the original developer behind the franchise. Would be neat if they could somehow combine those two.

Muppety

Knack shows what could've been. That game is the nearest thing Sony has done to Crash, since Crash. And it sucked

You know how I know you haven't played Knack/don't remember Crash all too well?

They're pretty dissimilar, even if they (just about) belong to the same genre.

JordanN

Banned
Even if Sony had the rights I seriously doubt they would have naughty dog do it. I'd imagine they are happy with the other things that dev puts out. Crash is cool but you don't put your best devs on something like that. I can see the knack team working on it though.

Naughty Dog is made up of multiple teams. They could also hire more people if they want (which is what they're doing now).

hidys

I couldn't care less whether a new Crash game gets made or not.

But don't force Naughty Dog to do it. That team has far too much talent to revive an aged 90s franchise.

Though it does seem weird that Activision won't sell them the franchise.

*facepalm* I knew that too. Universal owned it, right? Regardless, Crash Bandicoot is synonymous with the PlaySatation brand. Bringing it home is the only logical decision for Sony.
It's not Sony's call though unless they finally buy the IP from them and who knows if it would pay off.

Then again Activsion is doing fuck all with Crash maybe they can get it on the cheap side.

fernoca

Naughty Dog is made up of multiple teams. There's also nothing stopping them from hiring more people (which is what they're doing now).
They already passed on Jak and Daxter, because is not the kind of game they like to make anymore.

In 10 years after Naughty Dog's last Jak game, Sony has released 2 spinoffs for the PSP game (then ported to PS2) and an HD Collection on PS3 and Vita.

Crash probably would've gone through the same fate with them. Heck, the last Crash console game was released in 2008 and the last game per se on 2010, which is still more recent than Sony's owned Jak 2009 PSP game.

Hopefully, something will be shown soon. Activision has been looking for ways to bring it back, like with Guitar Hero now.

Wow. Can you guys believe it though. Back in the PS1 days we woul have those arcade games embedded in Namco PS1 games and now we live in an age where those PS1 games can be the embedded games.

Also fuck Activision.

I couldn't care less whether a new Crash game gets made or not.

But don't force Naughty Dog to do it. That team has far too much talent to revive an aged 90s franchise.

Though it does seem weird that Activision won't sell them the franchise.

A portion of Naughty Dog could certainly do it. But more likely would be the Ratchet & Clank guys.

They already passed on Jak and Daxter, because is not the kind of game they like to make anymore.

In 10 years after Naughty Dog's last Jak game, Sony has released 2 spinoffs for the PSP game (then ported to PS2) and an HD Collection on PS3 and Vita.

Crash probably would've gone through the same fate with them. Heck, the last Crash console game was released in 2008 and the last game per se on 2010, which is still more recent than Sony's owned Jak 2009 PSP game.

Hopefully, something will be shown soon. Activision has been looking for ways to bring it back, like with Guitar Hero now.

Yes, but now they want to include crash mini game in UC4 if its possible according to the interview which means they really want to work on Crash again (than can be made by making a new small team in ND).

I really want a new Crash and Crash Team racing game.

pswii60

You know how I know you haven't played Knack/don't remember Crash all too well?

They're pretty dissimilar, even if they (just about) belong to the same genre.

Firstly, I completed Knack early last year as I got it free with my PS4. I completed Crash 1, played through most of Cortex Strikes Back and completed Wrath of Cortex (TT game, PS2).

Secondly, what I actually said is that it was the nearest thing Sony had done to Crash, since Crash. I'd love your suggestions on other games that Sony has published since Crash that are more similar? I didn't say it was 'just like Crash' or anything of the sort.

Knack is a very linear corridor-style "platformer" much like Crash, without any need for camera control unlike slightly more free-roaming games like Jak, Ratchet and Sly. As such, like Crash, it makes it perfect for beginners to videogames, or those that struggle with controls. Sure there are battle arenas in Knack which don't feature in Crash. There are no minecarts. There's more "combat" and much less platforming than Crash. But you can still tell that the roots are there and there's a sense of that Crash mindset and design, even if it's at 1-2 on a scale of 0 to 10.

I thought Knack sucked, hard. But it was so simplistic and easy that I played it through to the end like some kind of bad addiction. However, my gf loved it, purely for that reason. She gets frustrated at camera controls, and the linear corridor approach is where Knack and Crash (and games like Super Magnetic Neo for that matter) share similarities in their design. So, you don't know anything about me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Activision has been doing nothing with the franchise, and doesn't have anyone with enough talent to make a good Crash game, even if they wanted to.

Such a waste.

Naughty Dog should just create a new platformer.

Oh fuck it.

HEY NAUGHTY DOG DEVS, I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE READING THIS.

You guys are doing multiplayer for U4 correct? and ridable vehicles.

Have this as your hidden minigame, or mp mode please:
I bet they will have a MP mode where you're racing real vehicles and shooting each other

Tagyhag

Yeah title should be more like " Naughty Dog WANTED to have Crash Bandicoot inside Uncharted 4 ". But Activision told em to fuck off.

It bothers me a bit that Activision can hold that license hostage like they are and they don't even do anything with it. Really odd. They would make more money selling the license for the game then they have made on the license itself since acquiring it.

Where does it say that they even asked Activision? Your title would be just as inaccurate.

Top Bottom