• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog nearly had Crash Bandicoot game inside Uncharted 4

ZarKryn7

I could honestly see Sony Pictures Animation having benefit out of this too, (IF SONY IS GETTING HIM)

Till then, he's being caged with Bobby Kotick laughing maniaclly at Shu and Naughty Dog until they pretty much sell themselves in order to be reunited with Crash (and I guess spyro too).

Sigh... Fuck you Activision.

I don't know jack shit about IP acquisition, but what's stopping Sony from straight up buying back the Crash Bandicoot IP from Activision? Clearly they must know there is a demand for the platformer.

Perhaps because Activision still can license it out to studios who are willing to give a Crash project a go and the earlier iterations still generate acceptable avance through online stores such as Playstation store.

Another, although, farfetched, possibility is that Activision realises that Sony could potentially bring back Crash to his former glory because they have the original studio behind it. I believe something they dislike is having other rivaling publishers make money of something that was originally a part of their IP portofolio.

Activision has a pretty aggressive attitude towards letting their IPs go without a deal, share or some form of compensation. See the True Crime -> Sleeping Dogs acquisition by SE.

dVEXCks.png

I remember when I first saw this image.

So much hype when I first saw this.

Salbug

Perhaps because Activision still can license it out to studios who are willing to give a Crash project a go and the earlier iterations still generate acceptable avance through online stores such as Playstation store.

Another, although, farfetched, possibility is that Activision realises that Sony could potentially bring back Crash to his former glory because they have the original studio behind it. I believe something they dislike is having other rivaling publishers make money of something that was originally a part of their IP portofolio.

Activision has a pretty aggressive attitude towards letting their IPs go without a deal, share or some form of compensation. See the True Crime -> Sleeping Dogs acquisition by SE.

Guess all I can do is dream for another Crash game then. The same with Insomnia Era Spyro.

That's amazing lmao.

giphy.gif

Meaty

Wouldnt it be a nice deal for activision?

Naughty Dog includes a crash minigame/One stage on an arcade in uncharted.

Activison sees interest on their IP rise through the roof. If they make another game in the franchise, they get a lot more interest on it.

Wouldnt that be good for everyone?

Wouldnt it be a nice deal for activision?

Naughty Dog includes a crash minigame/One stage on an arcade in uncharted.

Activison sees interest on their IP rise through the roof. If they make another game in the franchise, they get a lot more interest on it.

Wouldnt that be good for everyone
?
Not for me because I'm not buying if Activision is making it. We've seen what they've done with Destiny and Bungie, I have 0 faith in that company.

Alienous

What would it take?

I mean, Marvel got their hands on Spider-Man again. Surely Activision see that Crash is a dead franchise in their hands?

I wish Sony would pay Activision for an exclusive Crash game and both companies would agree to hand development to a quality, reputable developer with naughty Dog lending development support.

A man can dream, right?

Fury451

Banned
Would it even sell enough to bother buying I back from activision?

Depends on what they did with it.

I don't think the name alone has anywhere near the pull it used to, aside from the nostalgia dollar. They would basically have to treat it like a whole new IP to avoid making something that's serviceable "just for fans" if they want widespread success.

Basically, do what they're looking to do with Ratchet PS4.

TheOGB

Banned
The fuck

Just what the hell is keeping ANYTHING Crash from happening these days? Activision's got the little orange bastard locked up in a dungeon with no light for reasons unknown.

rjc571

Banned
The fuck

Just what the hell is keeping ANYTHING Crash from happening these days? Activision's got the little orange bastard locked up in a dungeon with no light for reasons unknown.

Clearly the market doesn't want 3D platformers. I mean, look at how bad the Yooka Laylee kickstarter flopped!

Blues1990

It makes me wonder why Activision is still keeping the Crash Bandicoot I.P., when they are not even bothered to use it in any shape or form.

Meaty

Not for me because I'm not buying if Activision is making it. We've seen what they've done with Destiny and Bungie, I have 0 faith in that company.

Youd still get one stage made by naughty dog, as oposed to never having that ever again in your life.

Also, I agree with your username

Sponge

Banned
Oh come on, Sony....!

Bring the lost son home already!!!
The PS fans want him in the Sony basket.
You already have some Destiny and Call of Duty deals with Activision.
Talk with them and try to reach a deal to acquire the Crash Bandicoot IP :((((((
DO IT!

Well, people don't have to bug Sony about Shenmue anymore. There needs to be twitter push for a Crash game on PS4 or something.

Theonik

Why did Sony sell Crash and Spyro again? it boggles my mind.
They never did. They were owned by Universal->Vivendi->Activision, before the Vivendi-Universal/Activision merge, they did make a bunch of games for those brands that didn't really upset the world, but Sony only co-produced those titles and they were before companies like Naughty dog became first party.

dh4niel

The Last of Us and the Uncharted series are better than any Crash game could be. I'm all for a new colourful platformer though.

Why do they keep saying "well we can't do anything with Crash because we don't own it!" Come the fuck on ever heard of a partnership? On one fucking hand Sony played a big role in getting FF7 Remake, Shenmue 3, and Street Fighter V made but they can't work with Activision (who signed up for multi-year multi-game partnership!) to bring back Crash Bandicoot? The ps1 classics STILL sell incredibly well and their is clearly enormous demand for the game despite what some cynical non-millennials say on the internet (which are the same people that said Jurassic park's time was done and Jurassic World would flop and we all know what happened with that). 90s nostalgia is huge now and a decent Crash game would go a LONG way.

Mar Nosso

Banned
While Sony could conceivably buy the Crash Bandicoot IP from Activision, if they're willing to sell it, thesame can't be said for the Spyro IP as its original developer, Insomniac, is an independent studio and does not belong to Sony. While they do develop the Ratchet & Clank IP, which is owned by Sony, would they really be willing to work on another Sony owned IP these days when they're much more motivated to creating their very own IPs? Unlikely it seems.

All of this to say then that a Sony acquisition of Crash is possible and maybe even likely, but the same can't be said about Spyro.

Megatron

Oh come on, Sony....!

Bring the lost son home already!!!
The PS fans want him in the Sony basket.
You already have some Destiny and Call of Duty deals with Activision.
Talk with them and try to reach a deal to acquire the Crash Bandicoot IP :((((((
DO IT!

Dude. Not one week ago they announced we were getting Last Gaurdian, ff7 remake and Shenmue 3. Doesn't that earn them a little time?

GeeTeeCee

What would it take?

I mean, Marvel got their hands on Spider-Man again. Surely Activision see that Crash is a dead franchise in their hands?

It's not a dead franchise, I'm sure Activision will make a Skylander of him when they're good and ready...

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner, weeping over the still warm corpse of Spyro the Dragon.

Talon

Would be a nice reminder of how Crash Bandicoot is a piece of garbage.

Best thing to come out of the franchise was Crash Team Racing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The Last of Us and the Uncharted series are better than any Crash game could be. I'm all for a new colourful platformer though.

In presentation only. Gameplay wise neither comes anywhere close to Crash. Especially not Uncharted. Jesus the gameplay in Uncharted is hot garbage. Of course everyone knows gameplay is not why those games are played, but still. Besides not only are the Crash platformers great, but Crash Team Racing was the best kart racing game ever before Sonic Transformed came along. If the only thing that came out of a Sony Crash deal was a CTR HD with online play then I'd be a happy man.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think a lot of people underestimate the nostalgia power a new Crash game would have. I see a well marketed quality Crash reboot by Sony selling gangbusters. A new Crash by Activision for every platform under the sun, likely being a less than stellar game? That would sell like shit. But having Sony at the helm with a quality title would tick all the right nostalgia boxes I feel, and get a lot of attention. It would do better than any non Nintendo platformer on the market right now.

I am surprised Activision are not doing anything with Crash.

I think the iOS Crash Team Racing game did pretty well for them and wasn't Vicarious Visions rumoured to be tossing ideas around for him before they got put on Skylanders?

Like... I could see a Crash Bandicoot Temple Run knock off working out ok since that gameplay style is very evocative of Crash on PS1.

I assume Activision are tossing around ideas for it though. Or maybe it pops up through Sierra brand or something.

This probably has no relevancy nor is very notable, but, I think it is perculiar that the original creator of Crash's design - Charles Zembillas - in the recent years started drawing Crash sketches again after a very long break. Not trying to fuel hope for people about a Crash reboot or so, just think it's an interesting observation.

Top Bottom