• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog nearly had Crash Bandicoot game inside Uncharted 4

BadWolf

Yeah title should be more like " Naughty Dog WANTED to have Crash Bandicoot inside Uncharted 4 ". But Activision told em to fuck off.

It bothers me a bit that Activision can hold that license hostage like they are and they don't even do anything with it. Really odd. They would make more money selling the license for the game then they have made on the license itself since acquiring it.

Hardly surprising when when you consider that they turned Spyro into Skylanders.

Imagine Sony pays inSomniac's A team to make it if they do buy the IP. That would be the best developer that they could get, and you know it would get the right funding.

L.O.R.D

meanwhile at activation's HQ
they are doing something inside Crash Bandicoot's cell

CIHYgztUAAQEtLh.jpg

Kikujiro

Sony did some stupid things back in the day, why did they sell the Crash Bandicoot IPs? It was one of their most popular games.

newjeruse

Between Destiny and now COD, Sony has a pretty good relationship with Activision. If Sony really wanted to work something out, or license out the IP from Activision, I'm sure it could get done. And I'm sure it eventually will.

Raistlin

There was literally nothing "near" about this.
Sounds like they would have set aside the time to do it, but after looking into the licensing aspect had to can it.

That's pretty near from a planning point of view, and it's not like there'd be major issues on the development side.

There was literally nothing "near" about this.
I agree
francis.png
. I hope sony buys it.. but buying the ip + developing budget for the game is probably too much for them.. i miss crash and im disappointed that its buried in the depths of activision stable of games.

Edited. Just found out sony never owned crash ip

fernoca

Hardly surprising when when you consider that they turned Spyro into Skylanders.
Keeping in mind that Toys for Bob originally started working on a traditional Spyro game and exprimented with a more "mature Spyro". But they couldn't make a good game game out of it.

So experimented around, until hitting with the toys to life aspect. Which they then pitched to higher ups at Activision (like Kotick).

Same way that Vicarious Visions experimented with Crash and Guitar Hero, so is not like Activision forces or makes things. They give them free will as long as they make something that they can sell (Toys for Bob chose Spyro to work with). Is how VV also made Guitar Hero on the DS, they talked about them pitching it to Activision and then to Nintendo.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Would be sad if Sony lost the rights to uncharted to activision who would run the brand into the ground.

Next E3 at the Sony stage.

1) Crash is back.
2) Vib Ribbon lives.
3) Half-life 3 is real. Believe.

Edit: And they will also get Patapon in there somewhere.

Next E3 at the Sony stage.

1) Crash is back.
2) Vib Ribbon lives.
3) Half-life 3 is real. Believe.

Edit: And they will also get Patapon in there somewhere.

4) Agent is real, now on the PS4

Ahh, who are we kidding, this year was the E3 of Dreams, so that means next year is going to be the E3 of Nightmares. Wonderbook makes a comeback, the new Calla Dutty takes up half the conference's stage time and Sony's new range of mobile titles get a 10 minute showreel.

Ridley327

They should've bought it.

How could they buy it if Universal wasn't interested in selling it? It's easy to forget these days how popular those games were, and Universal had even less of a reason to part with the IPs with what they were doing in merch and whatnot when someone else was doing the hard work for them.

GavinUK86

Why are people acting like Activision told Naughty Dog to fuck off? I bet it didn't even reach that point. It was probably just mentioned at the lunch table, everyone laughed it off and continued to eat their sandwiches.

fixuis

what about that AD where it shows crash returning to sony..pointing towards the sony logo or something? cmon sony don't play with us like that...bring crash home..after this years E3 I'm hopeful that we will see a crash or jak game along with a MAG remaster or MAG 2..killzone 2 remaster..warhawk/starhawk remaster or a proper nex gen war hawk....that would be another dream E3 for me..alongwith a colony wars nex gen..pleaseeeeeeee..oh and damn forgot about wipeout..

Muppety

Firstly, I completed Knack early last year as I got it free with my PS4. I completed Crash 1, played through most of Cortex Strikes Back and completed Wrath of Cortex (TT game, PS2).

Secondly, what I actually said is that it was the nearest thing Sony had done to Crash, since Crash. I'd love your suggestions on other games that Sony has published since Crash that are more similar? I didn't say it was 'just like Crash' or anything of the sort.

Knack is a very linear corridor-style "platformer" much like Crash, without any need for camera control unlike slightly more free-roaming games like Jak, Ratchet and Sly. As such, like Crash, it makes it perfect for beginners to videogames, or those that struggle with controls. Sure there are battle arenas in Knack which don't feature in Crash. There are no minecarts. There's more "combat" and much less platforming than Crash. But you can still tell that the roots are there and there's a sense of that Crash mindset and design, even if it's at 1-2 on a scale of 0 to 10.

I do apologise; I was only making a flippant, throwaway comment and didn't really mean anything by it, but I do appreciate that you explained what you meant (though, it's no excuse for my poor comprehension!). I've just never understood why people said they similar in any way, especially when Knack felt so dissatisfying and frustrating without any real sense of fun to me.

I thought Knack sucked, hard. But it was so simplistic and easy that I played it through to the end like some kind of bad addiction. However, my gf loved it, purely for that reason. She gets frustrated at camera controls, and the linear corridor approach is where Knack and Crash (and games like Super Magnetic Neo for that matter) share similarities in their design. So, you don't know anything about me.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done the same.

PSqueak

Banned
We could have had a new Crash by ND but instead they gave us douchebag mc treasure thief 4?!

The dream truly is dead.

Edit: my bad, i read "instead" in place of "Inside".

Still stand by what i said tho.

Piggus

I can see it now:

Nate meanders into a smokey old arcade. The atmosphere is captured brilliantly. He walks up to a cabinet and starts playing Marble Madness.

An APC crashes through the wall. The graphics are crazy. Nate yells, "Awe, crap!" and the chase begins.

entremet

When Shenmue, TLG, and FF7 remake all being real things. I can't ever rule out the possibility of Crash returning.

One little thing. Crash games are still active development, just not by ND.

ND has explicitly stated they have moved on. Unless you're taking about another developer.

Xiraiya

That's depressing knowing Activision owns it, Crash Bandicoot was literally the only platformer series I've given the slightest of a shit about besides Mario and the SNES Donkey Kong Country games.
Crash Team Racing was also amazing, I put that game in my PSX one day expecting a really shitty Mario Kart but it was actually way more fun than Mario Kart ever was.

NeoXChaos

Crash and Spyro died to me when CTR and Year of the Dragon released. Ratchet has since fueled my Spyro itch. As for a Spyro and Crash collection of the first 3 games and CTR in HD? YES INDEED make it happen Sony.

ZarKryn7

Why did Sony sell Crash and Spyro again? it boggles my mind.
THey never owned them to begin with

Anyway, ever since the PSX prophecy became true on E3. I wouldn't doubt crash's return.
Obviously, ND won't work on crash since Andy and Jason aren't there since they were the creators. Not to mention the OG crew too.

What I'm trying to say is. The PSX prophecy the cynical laugh at how impossible and unlikely it is became mostly true at E3.
Activision are getting more comphy cozy with Sony.

Crash is bound to pop out soon.
Don't know how or in what way...
But I feel it.

Salbug

BS: Yeah. It’s not our title. Sony doesn’t own it, so we don’t have control.

I don't know jack shit about IP acquisition, but what's stopping Sony from straight up buying back the Crash Bandicoot IP from Activision? Clearly they must know there is a demand for the platformer.

HardRojo

Que sara sara...
Lol, is this supposed to be the Spanish translation of "What will be, will be"? The actual translation is" Lo que será, será", though I've seen media wrongly using simply "Que será, será". Which, by itself, doesn't make much sense.

With that out of the way. It would have been really nice to be surprised by a Crash Bandicoot title in UC4. Activision please :(

Top Bottom