• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

lem0n

I've been hearing about a day one patch to fix the rubberbanding AI, I hope some reviewers wait until that and a couple other issues from the Beta are fixed to score. It's a really fun and solid game underneath some glaring issues. I will buy day 1 because I really liked the beta.

jesu

From the Arstechnica review

The Bad
Changing your car setup can mean a long drive to the garage and back to your race

Eh, you can teleport to the garage and to any race.

And they didn't even mention the lack of multiplayer.In an online only game.

Arttemis

No offline play
No drift mode
No drag racing

Do I have that right?

And they didn't even mention the lack of multiplayer.In an online only game.

Wait, what in the fuck!? I assumed the online requirement meant multiplayer would be pushed down my throat when I just want an Underground sequel... but it's online only WITHOUT literally any reason???????

SliChillax

No offline play
No drift mode
No drag racing

Do I have that right?

Wait, what in the fuck!? I assumed the online requirement meant multiplayer would be pushed down my throat when I just want an Underground sequel... but it's online only WITHOUT literally any reason???????

You missed no pause and no pvp. Surely I see the huge benefits Ghost games talked about when they said it's online only.

EGOMON

Thanks to the beta am not buying this game the only good thing about it is the customization everything else is bad especially the handling, EA can't make a good NFS anymore i bought the last 3 and regret it everytime but not this time

They definitely made some weird choices for this game.

No daytime racing or cockpit view...Why?

They just didn't want to call the game Underground 3 with FMV.

Even though that's basically what this is. Well with less customization, modes and...

Nevermind this isn't Underground at all.

jesu

No offline play
No drift mode
No drag racing

Do I have that right?

Arstechnica review says you can join a Crew and race together, I never knew about that so I'll have to try it.
But they also said you can't teleport and the last few Criterion games you had to play online to progress :/

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I foresee a bunch of reviews with half truths in this threads future.

Speaking of, which website or reviewers do y'all think provide the toughest but fairest criticisms ?

I've been shitting on this game since it was announced but if they dropped always online I would be playing it no questions asked. Just gonna have to wait for a good bf or used discount as of now.

m00h

Banned
The fact that this game is online only is so sad. I loved Underground 2 and this one looks like it might have potential for a good NFS, but always online is a complete deal breaker for me. On the one hand I hope the server will experience so much trouble and EA get bad marketing and never release an online only game again. But on the other hand it's EA and they never learn.

Warxard

Banned
Don't tarnish the name of midnight club like this...

Midnight club LO was a far better game than anything EA have produced for the last decade.

Considering NSF Most Wanted (both the original and the reboot) were out within the year, this is hyperbole.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From Xbox One

What resolution is that? Looks rather blurry.

Also after seeing that, sure quells the "looks better or on par with Driveclub" like the earlier EA bullshots being shown (which I still laughed when people said that).

ViciousDS

Banned
the online component was never, EVER needed for this game....Ghosts said it was insanely connected and shit....when it is the most tacked on garbage I've ever seen.

Other than that....its a good racing game with good customization. However I can see it getting really stale, very fast. The beta got utterly boring spamming the same races over again and it will be exactly the same come launch. No drag races and very limited styles of events is what made me not buy this game at launch.

Rosur

the online component was never, EVER needed for this game....Ghosts said it was insanely connected and shit....when it is the most tacked on garbage I've ever seen.

Could they be using some server side graphics processing or some of the game stored on the server?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait this doesn't have Drag Racing?
Order fucking cancelled.

EGOMON

People don't go blindly and buy this game do some research first or watch early streams you will be surprise how poor this game is, don't let fancy trailers fool you

ViciousDS

Banned
Could they be using some server side graphics processing or some of the game stored on the server?

Probably not....the game looks decent....but its so blurred and smeared and at night that any graphical issues anyone has is hidden very well due to the setting and vasoline filter.

I can't remember as well but I think the Beta was at 900p on the PS4....it definitely was not a sharp picture.

AP90

They definitely made some weird choices for this game.

No daytime racing or cockpit view...Why?

Miss the cockpit view in the last iterations of need for speed. It always game me the feel of more control of my car. Especially in need for speed underground. I currently have NFS Rivals which I play in spurts of like 30-40min to drive the prototype jaguar undercover vehicle and it sucks having to drive seeing the outside of the car or from headlight view as I feel like I over and understeer a lot because of it.

Shin-Ra

What resolution is that? Looks rather blurry.

Also after seeing that, sure quells the "looks better or on par with Driveclub" like the earlier EA bullshots being shown (which I still laughed when people said that).
The shots in the OP show ~900p + heavy post AA and filters + still frames from lossy video

These are direct PNG captures without the video compression
20151028-194734q1sgx.png
20151028-194843g0ste.png
Still very soft but much cleaner overall.

ViciousDS

Banned
The shots in the OP show ~900p + heavy post AA and filters + still frames from lossy video

dat filter......can't stand it lol, I didn't like it in the beta and I don't like it now.

Lunar FC

I really want this game to be good. Have no issues about the always online aspect. It perplexes me how big of an issue that is for some people.

hydruxo

Beta was weird. For a game called Need For Speed, there wasn't really a sense of speed at all. You could be going 100 mph and it felt like you were driving through quicksand. It seemed like an okay game though. I liked the customization and graphics.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Looks on par with a much softer looking GTAV (and I would argue some textures/lighting not as good). Was hoping for better with the shots and videos they showed earlier this year.

Is it comparable to Most Wanted with the gameplay?

Is that a holy trifecta manifestation? Grain, piss and CA?

THere's a lot in there - but it works. There are very frequent times when you're using the dash cam that you actually pass uncanny valley and could swear you're watching the live action FMV's. The effect is that good. (Helped by the fact the FMV's have a generous amount of grain on them)

No wheel support
No cockpit view
No manual transmission
No daylight
No offline
No thanks

I will be surprised if all the reviews are as positive as these first few. I wonder if there is an embargo in place depending on what score sites give it.

Orayn

Is that a holy trifecta manifestation? Grain, piss and CA?

All I see is surprisingly nice looking grain. There's no "piss" since the street light shot is warm and the gas station is cool. If anything, it's a little oversaturated.

Also, where are you seeing CA? I see a little blur around the distant light sources, but it's the same color as the light and doesn't turn into a fringe.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does always online in this game means you have to have an EA account? If so, that's no use to me. No way in hell I'm ever creating EA account after all the Fifa account theft BS that was going on seemingly forever on both XBL and PSN.

CaLe

Loving what I'm playing right now (preview from EA Access).

What I can't forgive though is the dips in the single digit in FPS on Xbox One, for no apparent reason.

Top Bottom