• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

Humidex

Thanks to the beta am not buying this game the only good thing about it is the customization everything else is bad especially the handling, EA can't make a good NFS anymore i bought the last 3 and regret it everytime but not this time

Yep. Thanks EA Access early demo for convincing me not to buy the game!

Just like in Rivals, even though you can play with computer AI the game acts as if you're playing in an online lobby.

I forgot about that, makes no sense.

With regards to the manuals, I can't think of any NFS games that weren't SHIFT titles that had manual shifting in the last four years. Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted (360/PS3) and Rivals all didn't, to my knowledge.

It's stupid, I agree. It's so easy to program (N64 games had it... come on now. Even Mario Karts have had it) and could easily be mapped to Y or B, moving those buttons' function to the dpad.

Not quite a dealbreaker for me-though a lot of other things are. But still seems like a huge misstep considering this game is supposed to be for car culture nuts.

Orayn

With regards to the manuals, I can't think of any NFS games that weren't SHIFT titles that had manual shifting in the last four years. Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted (360/PS3) and Rivals all didn't, to my knowledge.

It's stupid, I agree. It's so easy to program (N64 games had it... come on now. Even Mario Karts have had it) and could easily be mapped to Y or B, moving those buttons' function to the dpad.

Not quite a dealbreaker for me-though a lot of other things are. But still seems like a huge misstep considering this game is supposed to be for car culture nuts.

The only manual/automatic settings in Mario Kart referred to drfting.

Rizific

wait a second...is no manual for real? like really real? i read that during the time of the beta and figured it just wasnt available in beta. but for the full release, is there no manual?

Zafir

Considered trying this on PC since the PC version is significantly cheaper, until I noticed it got delayed til the start of next year. X.X

Not paying console prices. :|

Rizific

No manual, for real, for really real. :|

what...i...what kind of game that is supposed to be targeted towards tuners doesnt have a fucking manual transmission? i mean SERIOUSLY. i was honestly interested in this game, but thats a huge red flag. welp, this game can go fuck off. at least ill have fo4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
what...i...what kind of game that is supposed to be targeted towards tuners doesnt have a fucking manual transmission? i mean SERIOUSLY. i was honestly interested in this game, but thats a huge red flag. welp, this game can go fuck off. at least ill have fo4.

Younger F&F casual crowd?

Verdict: A great racing game for the younger or more casual gamer, and for fans of modded cars. Others should try it.

drotahorror

No wheel support

Well that's the final nail in the coffin for me. Not gonna support any racing games that don't support wheels from this point on. I was more than likely gonna pick up NFS during a sale when I was bored but yeah, I don't even want it if it's free now. The city environment is so bland as it is I barely had any intention of picking it up anyway.

nikos

I don't use automatic transmissions, in games or real life, but that didn't take away from the fun I had in the beta. Hope manual transmissions, as well as more tuning options, are patched in but it's not a deal breaker.

nikos

No offline play
No drift mode
No drag racing

Do I have that right?

Wait, what in the fuck!? I assumed the online requirement meant multiplayer would be pushed down my throat when I just want an Underground sequel... but it's online only WITHOUT literally any reason???????

You missed no pause and no pvp. Surely I see the huge benefits Ghost games talked about when they said it's online only.

There is a drift mode, and drifting actually feels amazing when handling is tuned properly. You can also challenge any human player you see driving around by flashing your lights. If I remember correctly, there are different race options for that as well.

Arttemis

There is a drift mode, and drifting actually feels amazing when handling is tuned properly. You can also challenge any human player you see driving around by flashing your lights. If I remember correctly, there are different race options for that as well.

Can you describe the Drift Mode? Is it like the Underground tracks, which were essentially tracks modeled after elaborate parking garages, and a focus on chaining together each curve?

So there is some form of ability to challenge other players in racing... but this has got to be the weakest justification for requiring an always-online mandate.

I'm still shocked there's no drag race mode... and I'd have also loved something modeled after the getaway scene in Drive.

drotahorror

I think The Crew Wild Run expansion is what Underground fans want. It's got drift modes, drag races, cities, day/night cycle, weather, interesting environments, etc.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's so bad it's good though. I'm sure they intended it to be that way.

lol you give them too much credit

I remember Jeff Gerstmann saying in an interview he asked them if they were doing FMV in their NFS game (it might've not been this one), they excitedly said yes. But then it was clear that they actually didn't know people thought it was bad... Like... they genuinely thought this shit was awesome.

sarcoa

Wait, the game is always online and does not have multiplayer? Are you kidding me? Who thought this was a good idea?
I have no idea why people keep saying this. Every race in the game can include friends or randoms. You can pull alongside people in the open world and instantly challenge them to a bunch of race types.

mreddie

Yes and wheel/clutch support.

GIF-aw-yeah-dat-ass-dayum-do-want-likes-Loki-oh-ooh-ooh-yea-Tom-Hiddleston-GIF.gif

Oof.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Considering the internet requirement, you'd think the benefits wouldn't be so ambiguous. Fucking hell, EA.

There are no benefits or justification for this crap.

They said that always online in single player was totally necessary because the game will save and share pictures automatically with other players. I`m suprised that this haven`t generated a more massiv shitstorm after what they did with Sim City, just because the game is working.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I have no idea why people keep saying this. Every race in the game can include friends or randoms. You can pull alongside people in the open world and instantly challenge them to a bunch of race types.

Just like Forza?

Let players have this function when you are connected to the internet. Remove it if they`re not. It`s that easy.

Don't tarnish the name of midnight club like this...

Midnight club LO was a far better game than anything EA have produced for the last decade.

my man (^_____^)

MC:LA is still my all-time favorite racer on any platform.

Fucking shame Rockstar either doesn't want to or can't figure out how to revisit it.

They said that always online in single player was totally necessary because the game will save and share pictures automatically with other players. I`m suprised that this haven`t generated a more massiv shitstorm after what they did with Sim City, just because the game is working.
Sim City was a bigger deal because it had been almost 10 years since the previous one, whereas there's a new NFS almost every year.

No wheel support
No cockpit view
No manual transmission
No daylight
No offline
No thanks

I will be surprised if all the reviews are as positive as these first few. I wonder if there is an embargo in place depending on what score sites give it.

holy fucking shit, ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

...wow.... just... wow

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm a big fan of racing games and I am totally fine with no daylight racing, drag races (so one dimensional it's hard to miss), cockpit view, etc. Shit, it kind of gives the franchise an identity again.

However, you definitely need variety elsewhere to compensate for these decisions, and I'm not sure if throwing everything in the customization system is enough. Feel like you need something super dynamic about the environments if it's just all at night and in one location.

No manual transmission is weird though. I can't think of a good rationale for that.

Gamezone

Gold Member
No wheel support
No cockpit view
No manual transmission
No daylight
No offline
No thanks

I will be surprised if all the reviews are as positive as these first few. I wonder if there is an embargo in place depending on what score sites give it.

No pause option.

jesu

You can 1v1 easily if you pull along side someone and challenge them, if they want to challenge you.

Other than that with no multiplayer lobbies the only other way to get multiplayer games going is convoluted and random.

You have to join a crew, only at the moment when you search for crews none are available.
But you can join a random players game.
That puts you in the game with up to 7 other players.
Then you can go up to the start of an event and press X to invite crew members and hope someone joins.
They didn't whenever I tried.

Good luck getting 8 player multiplayer races going with that kind of system in place.

Arttemis

No wheel support
No cockpit view
No manual transmission
No daylight
No offline
No thanks

No pause option.

No offline
No pause option

These are unforgivable.

No cockpit view
No manual transmission
No wheel support
No drag racing mode

These are unfortunate.

No daytime

I couldn't care less about this, as it's a game dedicated to the 'underground' street racing scene, and is supposed to have dusk/dawn times.

---

Ultimately, there's no way I'm buying this game as long as the first listed issue remains enforced.

Into

Yeah, no. Listen i am not gonna do the Jeff Gerstmann "i-like-things-ironically" gimmick, by pretending that shitty FMV and fist bumping is the most hilarious things since Chuck Norris jokes. That shit will go stale in about...20ish hours.

What is then left is this game, and its not much. It looks nice, but that is where the buck stops.

I can enjoy jokes from videos, i dont need to spend 60 dollars on a game i know i wont play past 2-3 days.

it seems like they are trying to recreate underground. and thats what ive been waiting for from nfs, im all for that.

i think this will be the first nfs ill get since the very first most wanted if it doesnt tank hard.

Rndm

A review thread with no actual reviews because the embargo lifts in a few days? Why? An EA Access impressions thread would have been better than linking to two clickbait-articles from pretty average sites.

DOWN

Banned
A review thread with no actual reviews because the embargo lifts in a few days? Why? An EA Access impressions thread would have been better than linking to two clickbait-articles from pretty average sites.

ARSTechnica is a major site and it is explained why it seemed time for a review thread in my posts

Karak

ARSTechnica is a major site and it is explained why it seemed time for a review thread in my posts

ya its fine.

how can you have a game about tuning and racing, then not include manual transmission? lmao

Even if that was in the rubberbanding is a thing of almost magical levels. I mean. my lord its worse than AC Syndicates Carriage races

Can you describe the Drift Mode? Is it like the Underground tracks, which were essentially tracks modeled after elaborate parking garages, and a focus on chaining together each curve?

You have drift tracks set across areas of the map and canyon drifting. You drift around the curves and chain your scores. If you hit anything you lose your multiplier. For canyon drifting, you're drifting against others at the same time so it can get very frustrating if you don't have your A game on. You also get multiplied points for being stylish as you drift.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom