• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

Lima

Does always online in this game means you have to have an EA account? If so, that's no use to me. No way in hell I'm ever creating EA account after all the Fifa account theft BS that was going on seemingly forever on both XBL and PSN.

Both MS and EA offer 2 step verification.

Now if only Sony could finally get in on this... that would be great.

Which is why it's awesome.

The problem is that ridiculous dialog and banter bleeds into actual driving/racing segments.
From what I've played of the beta, it's unbelievably distracting and annoying, as it was near constant.
Other than that, as already mentioned, the game is missing a lot of what I, personally, am looking for in a racing title.

Nokterian

The problem is that ridiculous dialog bleeds into actual driving/racing segments.
From what I've played of the beta, it's unbelievably distracting and annoying, as it was near constant.
Other than that, as already mentioned, the game is missing a lot of what I, personally, am looking for in a racing title.

Oef that sucks even more and i hate it also..at least in HP 2010 you didn't have any of that.

Hawk269

Sounds like they were going for a Midnight Club vibe

This.

I played quite a bit since I have EA Access and while it does look good, a little blurry, it is not that great of racing game and the FMV stuff is really bad. I am sure this would appeal to the Fast and Furious lovers, but just not for me.

Even from when this game was announced, I was pretty convinced that this was basically EA's attempt at a reconciliation from a nasty break up from an ex they loved. (This ex being the fans and what they truly wanted, another Underground) But now, it's pretty obvious that the fans (Those that have grew up with the series in any sort of incarnation) aren't going to have it, especially when there are so many other options for arcade or simcade racers, and the market itself is moving ever so closer to realism and racing sims.

As much as I love the NFS series, it shaped my life and my love for cars, as well as probably a good amount of the 18-25 year old car guys on GAF and elsewhere, but at this point, the damage EA is doing to the franchise as a whole (sending NFS to basically become a Burnout clone via Criterion, and pretty much ruining any sort of fun the games up to HP 2010 still had being the main culprit for me) is souring any fans they have left. I'm not the one to rail upon EA for killing the series, as I still enjoy their games...but at this point, my dream would be the series to end already. But it's one of EA's breadwinners, so I doubt that'll happen.

jesu

The problem is that ridiculous dialog and banter bleeds into actual driving/racing segments.

Only if you answer the phone no?
Just ignore the phone calls they only bleep a couple of times.

Yeah, no. Listen i am not gonna do the Jeff Gerstmann "i-like-things-ironically" gimmick, by pretending that shitty FMV and fist bumping is the most hilarious things since Chuck Norris jokes. That shit will go stale in about...20ish hours.

What is then left is this game, and its not much. It looks nice, but that is where the buck stops.

I can enjoy jokes from videos, i dont need to spend 60 dollars on a game i know i wont play past 2-3 days.

gOSOOUM.png

After reading the impressions on here, I'm inclined to agree with Jeff.

gOSOOUM.png

As much as I'm souring upon Giant Bomb's generally nihilistic view of games nowadays, hoooof. That's not good. Then again, I doubt much confidence has been instilled since that demo at E3 with the drift camera, what, last year or this year?

Karak

Does that mean we can't pause the game?

Can't. Its a killer to the games driving narrative. If you can ignore the rubberbanding, the oddness of the need to return to the garage more often than you should, the lack of cockpit view and lack of manual transmission.

I am blown away this was released to be honest.

Barakov

gOSOOUM.png

I'm in the same boat. For the first couple hours I was having a blast. But the more I played the more game's problems seemed to get worse.

KnownAsEpic said:
Does that mean we can't pause the game?

Yup. Also there doesn't seem to be any way to restart a race/event if things start to go bad. It's not a really big deal given how short they are but it's just one of the game's irritating issues that gets more annoying the longer you play it. I suspect the rubberbanding in the higher difficulty events will make it even worse.

Karak

Yup. Also there doesn't seem to be any way to restart a race/event if things start to go bad. It's not a really big deal given how short they are but it's just one of the game's irritating issues that gets more annoying the longer you play it. I suspect the rubberbanding in the higher difficulty events will make it even worse.

Right in the cellphone it says "restart event, end event." Its two big buttons on the phone once you activate it

Bishop89

They definitely made some weird choices for this game.

No daytime racing or cockpit view...Why?
If there was daytime racing I would lose all interest in the game.

I like the midnight club vibe of street racing at night. I hated racing during the days in the previous nfs games

hydruxo

Yeah, no. Listen i am not gonna do the Jeff Gerstmann "i-like-things-ironically" gimmick, by pretending that shitty FMV and fist bumping is the most hilarious things since Chuck Norris jokes. That shit will go stale in about...20ish hours.

What is then left is this game, and its not much. It looks nice, but that is where the buck stops.

I can enjoy jokes from videos, i dont need to spend 60 dollars on a game i know i wont play past 2-3 days.

That's being generous, honestly. By the time I was done with the beta the FMV shit had already overstayed its welcome.

thelastword

Banned
gOSOOUM.png

I know Jeff has been generally down on lots of games lately, but this NFS just felt so empty when I played the beta, lots of lights, all buildings closed, where is the activity the busy bustling city, where are all the people. It's pretty much set at night, pp galore and the sense of speed is not impressive at all. It looks like the most soul-less NFS I've ever played. What's worse is that they forego a bright daytime setting or a mixture for a very blurry nighttime setting at 900p. I really believe NFS should go back to bright beautiful tracks at 1080p 60fps.

Karak

I thought day was going to appear when the sun started to come up, but it was just daybreak then back to night IIRC.

Honestly I keep laughing because mine goes from night to dawn in 1 second. No wait less than one second.

I was laughing a bit ago about their nighttime comments its the fact that the narrative doesn't fit the reality of the game. They keep talking about nightlife and busy and NO ONE is on the streets in an entire city. I mean, there are so many missing things narrative going on here.

That's being generous, honestly. By the time I was done with the beta the FMV shit had already overstayed its welcome.

As I said elsewhere about the FMV, it is Fast and Furious as strained through the head of a 40 year old exec who desperately wants to be cool and DOESN'T get that Fast and Furious teases itself. Thats the entire narrative. It knows its a joke. This solidly, without any hesitation has no clue.
That being said the actors themselves are actually very good. The sets are terrible, directing is terrible, "lets wave in front of the gopro" terrible, but the actors try.

Looking less and less like a day one buy.

But that launch trailer was so amazing...

I'm torn.

Without hesitation this is wait for a deep sale man. It has a ton of problems from the lack of a large number of expected racing conceptualizations, to the rubber-banding, to the laughably empty world to the UI being trash and not allowing for pausing requiring some of the oddest gameplay to do a new mission that I can remember.

I figured I'd level-up early by doing a lot of events, because new ones kept appearing. I guess it was a good idea, but now the story missions are making me re-do the same ones.

Karak

I figured I'd level-up early by doing a lot of events, because new ones kept appearing. I guess it was a good idea, but now the story missions are making me re-do the same ones.

Ya same here. Luckily the second 10 hours I played I didn't make that same mistake.

Canon

Banned
No way would I buy the game, nor do I need to with EA Access. I've played a couple hours with that "trial" and I doubt I will even finish the full 10 hours. EA has no clue what people want from games, it certainly isn't bad movies.

Protome

I haven't seen anyone mention yet but did they add matchmaking to this one? Being in those big dumb multiplayer instances in Rivals but not actually being able to easily race other players was super duper shitty.

Jeff didn't like Driveclub either though.
Not exactly an unpopular opinion outside of gaf tbf.

Karak

No way would I buy the game, nor do I need to with EA Access. I've played a couple hours with that "trial" and I doubt I will even finish the full 10 hours. EA has no clue what people want from games, it certainly isn't bad movies.

It is weird that multiplayer is tacked on in an odd way yet at the same time, its online only. I mean honestly the difference between my own games and multiplayer have been...well like 5 races lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Both MS and EA offer 2 step verification.

Now if only Sony could finally get in on this... that would be great.
I assume that this kind of answer means that yes, I do have to create/link the EA account? Well, that's too bad. I mean, even with two step (which in practice tends to be a pain in the ass tbh, so I avoid it whenever I can), I just don't want to create accounts so that I can play one game, which I don't care about playing online anyway, much less cross-linking any accounts, which I patently dislike doing.

Wagram

I keep saying he seems like a miserable guy these days.

Everytime I watch a video of that guy it really seems as if he hates his job with a passion.

EDIT: I would like to add this comment was merely about his demeanor lately, and not a snide comment because of his opinion of Need for Speed.

Duxxy3

Even with an enormous discount and removal of always online, I don't think I will buy this game. My favorite NFS games are the over the top cop chase games (HP2, MW, HP and Rivals (to a much lesser degree)).

Going by the beta on PS4, the game felt very promising. What's up with the sudden negative buzz around it? Does anyone know if the game is 1080p native on PS4?

jesu

I haven't seen anyone mention yet but did they add matchmaking to this one? Being in those big dumb multiplayer instances in Rivals but not actually being able to easily race other players was super duper shitty.

Not really

You have to join a crew, only at the moment when you search for crews none are available.
But you can join a random players game.
That puts you in the game with up to 7 other players.
Then you can go up to the start of an event and press X to invite crew members and hope someone joins.
They didn't whenever I tried.

BONDO

Looking forward this game but i really miss my offline corridor NFS's.
Fav all time is 2010 Hot Pursuit....damn that thing was great

kyser73

It's a shame I can't get this. My entertainment center is too far from the internet. Router + range extender, and I still get poor connection and dropped sometimes. Always online is a deal breaker for me.

Power line is your friend, my friend.

OT - given this brings over all the stuff I hated about Rivals (and adds a load of things I dislike like those FMVs) this is definitely in the rent first, maybe buy when super cheap.

lem0n

Going by the beta on PS4, the game felt very promising. What's up with the sudden negative buzz around it? Does anyone know if the game is 1080p native on PS4?

This is gaf. People are critica and always online is as bad as satan himself. I had fun in the beta as well. I really like the selection of cars and the driving physics. I like the old school heavy Underground style handling. It got better with high spec grip tires. Idk i understand why people would be put off, but for me Im definitely looking forward to the 3rd.

Not sure on ps4 res, sorry

Joeku

I could really go for a good Need for Speed again. At it's best, it was tonally unique compared to the arcadey racers on consoles. It just hasn't had a really good driving model since, what, Hot Pursuit?

Everytime I watch a video of that guy it really seems as if he hates his job with a passion.

EDIT: I would like to add this comment was merely about his demeanor lately, and not a snide comment because of his opinion of Need for Speed.

He is. Not sure why he continues to do what he hates...

But, I guess that's his schtick.

https://youtu.be/G5YrTRdWPdU?t=1h52m32s

This is from a couple days ago. Dude so clearly hates video games, right guys? I don't like playing defense force for anything or anyone, but you who see him as an "angry gamer" gimmick have very selective vision.

Top Bottom