• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

ViciousDS

Banned
Pretty close to my own experience ya. I didn't mind the customization but it is in no ways above and beyond most other games.

It's the limited amount of events that made me drop it. It's going to get really boring and repetitive towards end game when you want to grind out for a new car or max out your rep.

It's decent but it's going to be a very short game and with everything else on the horizon you might as well wait till its on sale ooorrrr EA access which seems like it will happen within the next year when population on the servers die down

I'll never understand the complaints about the game being always online. I've had a cable connection for over 16 years and I'm pretty sure the rest of the world, at least in places where this game is being marketed, is up to speed by now. If your connection is down and you can't play one day, it's not that big of a deal. You also can't do a lot of other things.

If it has to do with servers eventually going down, rendering the game unplayable, that's how games with dedicated servers have always worked. Nothing new. People won't be playing the game at that point anyway.

People seem to be complaining just for the sake of complaining, especially because this is EA and NFS. I'm willing to bet most of the people complaining never had interest in the game anyway. It's shitposting, if you ask me.
My internet connection goes down, I can't play the game. That sucks.
PSN goes down, I can't play the game. That sucks.
EA servers go down, I can't play the game. That sucks.
In ~2-3 years when EA decides there aren't enough players to justify the servers and they take them down for good, I can't play the game ever again. That really sucks. Believe it or not some people like to play games years after release.

They have given us exactly zero reasons why this game has to be always online, even in "single player" mode. It's ridiculous.

I did have interest in this game so you're dead wrong on that count too. Always online is the biggest turn off for me, although there are a lot of others.

I will say they have given us NO concrete reason as to why its always online. Daily challenges and content updates? Okay, why not request people to sign online to do so, or throw out a large content patch? If its a continuous growing and evolving world like Destiny, why aren't you telling us and explaining how it is? It's like EA are actively sabotaging its chances.

A lot of complaints I've read here could be improved post launch, such as a Drag racing update with manual transmission, wheel-support and etc. But I have yet to see why this game requires always online. They haven't even explained how the crew system works either, which was the one things I believed would be a factor. I don't care if it is, but give me a reason why it is.

I wish I could see constructive criticisms about this game but all I see is just complaining for the sake of complaining. This is something that should've been questioned since the beta. Most of the other problems can be patched later, but if people don't question this and critique it, they won't ever explain or solve this problem. At least target relevant things and give proper feedback instead of shitposting. It's the same as your usual Ubisoft and Assassn's Creed threads.

I've enjoyed what I've played and will be playing more after launch but this is the one thing, I simply don't understand.

Best wishes.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'll never understand the complaints about the game being always online. I've had a cable connection for over 16 years and I'm pretty sure the rest of the world, at least in places where this game is being marketed, is up to speed by now. If your connection is down and you can't play one day, it's not that big of a deal. You also can't do a lot of other things.

If it has to do with servers eventually going down, rendering the game unplayable, that's how games with dedicated servers have always worked. Nothing new. People won't be playing the game at that point anyway.

People seem to be complaining just for the sake of complaining, especially because this is EA and NFS. I'm willing to bet most of the people complaining never had interest in the game anyway. It's shitposting, if you ask me.

Good for you, but you can't trust PSN, Xbox Live or EA servers to function. Wasn't Xbox Live down for weeks last christmas due to hacker kids? EA also shut down Need for Speed World just in time for this game. That game is dead forever.

I often get disconnected from EA while playing FIFA 16. I can deal with that, because I expect stuff like that to happen online, and I can always play offline when it happens. If I get disconnected from single player, that would piss me off.

Karak

Since NFS is one of my favorite series of all time I can say this.
The required online always on is not only completely idiotic. Its utterly wasted in how the game works artifically restricted a large demographic of gamers from the title for no reason.
Had their been a gameplay reason sure.

It's the limited amount of events that made me drop it. It's going to get really boring and repetitive towards end game when you want to grind out for a new car or max out your rep.

It's decent but it's going to be a very short game and with everything else on the horizon you might as well wait till its on sale ooorrrr EA access which seems like it will happen within the next year when population on the servers die down

Ya wait for a sale is exactly as it should be. With the absolutely atrocious rubber-banding, lack of various features, and poor implementation of others the game is actually getting more praise than a long time fan of the titles like myself ever expected to be honest. Its just not up to the standards when it comes to gameplay and content at all.

Karak

They said early on that it was for the narrative experience. I guess they've decided to change their tune?

Just going by their most recent statements and those posted from their interviews to the Wiki.
That being said, after 20+ hours into it...I am not seeing much of a narrative experience if any that requires MP or in fact even uses it for the most part. I have this odd feeling this is going to be a game with a ton of "content patches"

Ya wait for a sale is exactly as it should be. With the absolutely atrocious rubber-banding, lack of various features, and poor implementation of others the game is actually getting more praise than a long time fan of the titles like myself ever expected to be honest. Its just not up to the standards when it comes to gameplay and content at all.

Meh - no thanks. I can't wait to play this and am happy to get it day one. Looks like the perfect Fall arcade racer (a personal tradition) and a nice return to form for the series. Warts and all.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Thought this could use a quote for the newest page.

No offline
No justification for no offline
No pause
No drag racing
No manual transmission
No cockpit view
No wheel support

No clue what they were thinking.

Yeah, if it's supposed to be a spiritual sequel to the Underground series and it doesn't have drag racing then it's a no-buy for me.
I was willing to give it a try but I wouldn't even bother.
How I wish for a spiritual sequel to Need For Speed 3/4. Exotic cars in the American country side. That's what I need!

gossi

They said early on that it was for the narrative experience. I guess they've decided to change their tune?

It's really weird being always online. I've spent some time in this game via EA Access and double checked: there are no PVP races in the game. At all.

You can challenge one random player you see, but there's no group PVP/multiplayer races in there.

There's also no drag events. Or pausing. Or ability to play the game when servers offline. Or cockpit view. There's also barely any AI cars on the road between races - there's entirely empty freeways for example.

It's like a tech demo one year into production which getting released for $60.

Lima

It's really weird being always online. I've spent some time in this game via EA Access and double checked: there are no PVP races in the game. At all.

You can challenge one random player you see, but there's no group PVP/multiplayer races in there.

There's also no drag events. Or pausing. Or ability to play the game when servers offline. Or cockpit view. There's also barely any AI cars on the road between races - there's entirely empty freeways for example.

It's like a tech demo one year into production which getting released for $60.

There is via the crew feature. You can play any of the 79 events with other people.

I was enjoying this massive cheese fest more than I expected - especially after people's thoughts in this thread. Until I discovered the reason the game is online unfortunately.

It's online so fucking trolls can wait at the near the finish line and smash you out of first place - thus messing up your race. Good job EA.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was enjoying this massive cheese fest more than I expected - especially after people's thoughts in this thread. Until I discovered the reason the game is online unfortunately.

It's online so fucking trolls can wait at the near the finish line and smash you out of first place - thus messing up your race. Good job EA.

That may be a meta-game within itself! Brilliant!

Karak

This happened to me a couple times but I didn't think much of it until I just talked to the other dude on our channel and some subscribers and they are reporting its rampant.

gossi

This happened to me a couple times but I didn't think much of it until I just talked to the other dude on our channel and some subscribers and they are reporting its rampant.

Happened to me, too. For some reason other plays outside the race are allowed to enter the session near the finish - uhm.

willbsn13

There is via the crew feature. You can play any of the 79 events with other people.

Yeah but that requires them accepting your invites to these events. Nobody ever accepts those, not in GTA V, not even in a similar game like The Crew.

The big problem is there isn't any PvP lobby system whatsoever like The Crew or FH2. They're basically relying on PvP being 1v1 challenges which nobody will accept and crew event invites (too events we've already done...) that nobody will accept, unless you have a good amount of friends with the game, which most people don't.

You'd think an always online game would have decent PvP support for 8 player racing.. but no.

jesu

There is but they are hidden and mostly useless

Join a crew, go to the starting line, press X to invite the crew to the race.
Cross your fingers someone joins.
No one ever joined when I tried.

I loved Rivals so im grabbing this. Im not worried about the limited amount of events as they have already stated there will be free content

Happened to me, too. For some reason other plays outside the race are allowed to enter the session near the finish - uhm.

Watching some streams it looks like its absolutely rampant...jezuz.
Holy shit.

I hope EA take notice and can fix it for the sake of others. I was thinking of buying it after the EA Access trial period. Not now. It's funny how it takes just one bad thing to completely sour you on something.

Just saw the posts about people smashing others out of first place. I've been lucky and haven't had that happen to me, but I can imagine how frustrating it would be.

That's really shitty of them.

I did have someone hit me outside of the garage, but I couldn't tell if it was just an AI racer or not because it sped off so quickly.

SliChillax

I hope this game doesn't do too bad because of their awful decision making. I really hope they don't ditch the customization on their next NFS game.

jesu

I hope EA take notice and can fix it for the sake of others. I was thinking of buying it after the EA Access trial period. Not now. It's funny how it takes just one bad thing to completely sour you on something.

You can play it single player, you're still online but no humans in your game.

Karak

Not sure. The honest truth is if its not fixed day one these days, they never ever recoup what they could have had, if everything was at least somewhat fixed day one.

You can play it single player, you're still online but no humans in your game.

Yeah, that's the best way to play it. Too bad you need to go into an online game, then go to options and choose solo, before it loads again. That's the long loading screen. The rest loads pretty quickly.

Orca

Just saw someone on Twitter say they have their review ready for November 3rd, but checking out their other tweets it's pretty clear they don't have a review copy they're just basing it off their Early Access playtime. Sorely tempted to ask why they don't just release it since they didn't have to agree to any embargo...

Just saw someone on Twitter say they have their review ready for November 3rd, but checking out their other tweets it's pretty clear they don't have a review copy they're just basing it off their Early Access playtime. Sorely tempted to ask why they don't just release it since they didn't have to agree to any embargo...
You should. Who is it?

Hasney

Probably trying to stay in EAs good books to possibly get future review copies.

Actaully wait. Can you even play this game if you don't pay for PS+ / XBL Gold?

I assume so. You're still connected, but it'll be a single player world in Rivals.

ps3ud0

Actually wait. Can you even play this game if you don't pay for PS+ / XBL Gold?
Hopefully Im wrong, but Im pretty sure you can't

EDIT: Im wrong
Q) I don't have PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold, can I still play single player without it?
A) Yes you can. PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold will not be required for single player. But as per any multiplayer experience on console, you will require an active PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold subscription.
http://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/news/nfs-faq

ps3ud0 8)

Greye

Is the drift cam as seen in the E3 footage gone or is it still in there? Maybe there are different camera options?

bedlamite

I was greatly looking forward to this game but I'll have to give it a miss, the negative buzz just can't be ignored. Besides, that new expansion for The Crew comes out on the 17th and that looks absolutely immense, compared to NFS.

Top Bottom