• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

This is gaf. People are critica and always online is as bad as satan himself. I had fun in the beta as well. I really like the selection of cars and the driving physics. I like the old school heavy Underground style handling. It got better with high spec grip tires. Idk i understand why people would be put off, but for me Im definitely looking forward to the 3rd.

Not sure on ps4 res, sorry

I played the EA Access trial and thought it was a decent, solid foundation for future titles (if there are any). Reddit's feedback thread on /r/NeedForSpeed is a good indicator of what flaws the hardcore believe the game has. I would recommend this to a person who just wants to play a street racing game without being too into cars, customization and stuff like that.

It'd probably be best to wait for the PC version to come out though cause the game would (hopefully) have much more content and fixes.

https://youtu.be/G5YrTRdWPdU?t=1h52m32s

This is from a couple days ago. Dude so clearly hates video games, right guys? I don't like playing defense force for anything or anyone, but you who see him as an "angry gamer" gimmick have very selective vision.

Yeah, whenever I hear that statement I feel like I'm a guy living in another planet as a person who has been following the GB crew ever since the 2000's. Oh but he didn't get excited for the E3 announcements that were mandatory for everyone else to be excited about, right? Give me a break.

willbsn13

Man I really wanted to like this game. I love the customization in it (even if it is limited in higher end cars as well as some lower end cars too, like the Volvo 242) and the graphics, sound and car selection are all fantastic.

There's just too many annoyances in it for me to have an enjoyable experience.

• No manual tranmission
  • No way to create your own lobbies or settings for multiplayer, no quick join of lobbies to get into PvP. Instead we get a completely convoluted system in which you'll basically never get a match of PvP going unless it's against friends
  • Dusk to Dawn night cycle is undynamic, different areas have the same lighting each time you visit. (The hills at the top of the map are always at dawn, for example)
  • Always online for no good reason, and considering it is always online, why the fuck is there no multiplayer lobbies? If they're gonna make it always online, you better fucking support the online aspect of the game. Instead we get nothing.
  • Only 79 events in the full game. 79. Considering there basically is no PvP (or very limited) this game is going die soooo quickly. Little single player content + no PvP is such a bad combination.
  • Rubberbanding AI - they even said they'd fix this from the beta. Nope. Still there. Still blatantly obivous. Unless there's a day one patch..
  • Empty open world. There are collectibles, but only 12 of them are meaningful. (free parts) The rest of them are vista locations (in which you can't even take controlled photos at) and donut spots. Wow. There's also very little going on in the world - it just feels so empty to drive in. In a game about car culture, you'd expect little hubs of activity, car meet ups etc. But none of that is present.
  • You'd think this game would have a photomode like DC/FH2 to show off the customisation/graphics. Nope.
  • Stop the phone calls, mid race please. It's a constant barrage which is really infuriating.
  • I don't think I've seen one dry road in the game. Makes the environments even more repetitive than they already were.
  • No wheel support

etc, etc. Too many frustrating things take away from what's good for me to enjoy it.

Arttemis

Man I really wanted to like this game. I love the customization in it (even if it is limited in higher end cars as well as some lower end cars too, like the Volvo 242) and the graphics, sound and car selection are all fantastic.

• No manual tranmission
  • No way to create your own lobbies or settings for multiplayer, no quick join of lobbies to get into PvP. Instead we get a completely convoluted system in which you'll basically never get a match of PvP going unless it's against friends
  • Dusk to Dawn night cycle is undynamic, different areas have the same lighting each time you visit. (The hills at the top of the map are always at dawn, for example)
  • Always online for no good reason, and considering it is always online, why the fuck is there no multiplayer lobbies? If they're gonna make it always online, you better fucking support the online aspect of the game. Instead we get nothing.
  • Only 79 events in the full game. 79. Considering there basically is no PvP (or very limited) this game is going die soooo quickly. Little single player content + no PvP is such a bad combination.
  • Rubberbanding AI - they even said they'd fix this from the beta. Nope. Still there. Still blatantly obivous. Unless there's a day one patch..
  • Empty open world. There are collectibles, but only 12 of them are meaningful. (free parts) The rest of them are vista locations (in which you can't even take controlled photos at) and donut spots. Wow. There's also very little going on in the world - it just feels so empty to drive in. In a game about car culture, you'd expect little hubs of activity, car meet ups etc. But none of that is present.
  • You'd think this game would have a photomode like DC/FH2 to show off the customisation/graphics. Nope.
  • Stop the phone calls, mid race please. It's a constant barrage which is really infuriating.
  • I don't think I've seen one dry road in the game. Makes the environments even more repetitive than they already were.
  • No wheel support

etc, etc. Too many frustrating things take away from what's good for me to enjoy it.
What the fuck we they thinking with some these decisions?

SliChillax

What the fuck we they thinking with some these decisions?

This is what baffles me, they clearly can make a technical masterpiece, they put such an awesome customization system etc etc and then they just rip out the enjoyment out of the game with some awful decisions.

Karak

• No manual tranmission
  • No wheel support

Ya its all together a terrible package BUT at times the racing is fun. Sadly that doesn't outweight the metric shitton of issues with it

Looked for it and found it. My bad. I was looking in the Need for Speed menu and didn't see it.

Just another weirdness with the hud. Not surprising you had issues

dreamfall

The FMVs are so bad, they're so good. The game itself feels a bit limited, after two hours I still don't feel very comfortable with the handling. But maybe I'll pick it up later, EA access is really incredible.

So just like the previous game... No multiplayer lobbies.... I wont fall for this again... It was nearly impossible to get online races going in Rivals.
Just give me Split Second 2 please.

Yoday

I played the EA Access trial and thought it was a decent, solid foundation for future titles (if there are any). Reddit's feedback thread on /r/NeedForSpeed is a good indicator of what flaws the hardcore believe the game has. I would recommend this to a person who just wants to play a street racing game without being too into cars, customization and stuff like that.

It'd probably be best to wait for the PC version to come out though cause the game would (hopefully) have much more content and fixes.
I agree completely. The game is really solid, and it is beautiful to look at, but I just don't feel like the content is there. It really does feel like a solid foundation though, and it will be interesting to see where it is in a few months since they are planning free DLC. I will still pick it up, but I am going to get back into The Crew until NFS drops in price a bit. $60 is just a bit much when there are other open world racing games on the market that are much bigger and have a lot more content.

Zukuu

Banned
No wheel support.
That's a huge bummer, if not even a deal breaker. If I should pick it up, then in a heavy discounted deal it seems. :/

Man I bought a t100 last year and haven't been using it much, since Drive Club didn't really click with me and I was looking forward to this game. What little I played of the Crew I actually liked. Maybe I will buy that instead to get my driving fix.

Any chance that there will be a custom PC solution to make it work?

From the Arstechnica review

Eh, you can teleport to the garage and to any race.

And they didn't even mention the lack of multiplayer.In an online only game.

I know how to teleport back to the garage, how do you transport yourself to a race without going the long way?

My thoughts:

- the game is good but i wouldnt pay for it, ill wait for the vault.
- music is great, it looks good
- i like the FMV and the story. I also liked the party festival vibe of horizon
- i havent driven a race yet where there isnt rain, so i dont know if the ground is always wet.
- the customisation they showed at E3 is a lot better than what is actually in the game. You cant choose colours by ticking a box, you have to change the RGB values or whatever - its really stupid.
- i liked how forza horizons' mod system worked - it is a lot clearer and easier to understand.
- i HATE how tutorials pop up and make your screen dark when you are actually driving.
- as soon as you finish a mission, you get a phone call, so dont bother driving off straight away
- the rubber banding is pretty terrible, kinda like you clip one wall no matter how in front you are and they over take you at the end.
- i hate that there is no pause. Forza's drivatar thing and setup was much better.
- i hate that you cant quit the game legitimately, you have to exit to the dash to stop the game. I couldnt find an "exit game" button anywhere.
- the rich guy who gets all excited in the FMV's is such a dick, and reminds me of the guy from The Wire season on the docks who buys that really expensive jacket and everyone takes advantage of.

bedlamite

All other game design decisions pale in comparison to not being able to pause the game...I mean, what the fuck? This shit was in Rivals too, so I guess we're all ok with it now?

If EA thinks playing their videogame should take precedence over real life, they're woefully mistaken. I can deal with the cheesy FMV, weird handling, and whatever else, but I have a kid, and I can't just get lost in videogames for hours on end anymore.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Best case scenario is that this bombs hard, EA steps back and thinks a bit, then gives us a sequel to Porsche Unleashed.

Hopefully the coming Porsche DLC for Forza 6 is comprehensive, at least.

I know how to teleport back to the garage, how do you transport yourself to a race without going the long way?

When you first start the game (long ass loading screen), you need to exit the garage once before you can begin to teleport to races from the garage. It's stupid, I know.

You can also view messages to directly take you to the waypoint on the map. HOWEVER, if there are multiple missions from a character, you CAN'T view waypoints via messages.

Hmmm so people aren't digging this huh?

Was really hoping this would be a return to form. Ah well at least it's nice to look at. Good ole' Frostbite.

Yeah, whenever I hear that statement I feel like I'm a guy living in another planet as a person who has been following the GB crew ever since the 2000's. Oh but he didn't get excited for the E3 announcements that were mandatory for everyone else to be excited about, right? Give me a break.

I've always liked Jeff but his taste is questionable to say the least.

i played some early access as well.

All I can say is, considering this is supposed to be a complete reboot because they even brought back the original name, the game will fail to live up to even modest expectations.

They hyped it up too much for what it is. It honestly doesn't deserve to re-use the name of the original.

Yoday

i played some early access as well.

All I can say is, considering this is supposed to be a complete reboot because they even brought back the original name, the game will fail to live up to even modest expectations.

They hyped it up too much for what it is. It honestly doesn't deserve to re-use the name of the original.
Technically it isnt. The original was called "Road and Track presents The Need for Speed". ;)

VGA222

Banned
So has anyone figured out why this game is always online yet? The game actually seems quite focused on single player with the constant assault from the npcs via phone calls and the cringeworthy fmvs.

Nokterian

• No manual tranmission
  • No wheel support

Welp this confirms enough to not purchase it anyway. The Crew Wild Run though that looks great.

drotahorror

• No manual tranmission
  • No wheel support

I hope this is the first post in the OT.

Always online in any game where it's blatantly unnecessary is extremely annoying. It's like everyone (not just EA,) hasn't learned a thing from Sim City. I'd say most people don't want it.

Karak

So has anyone figured out why this game is always online yet? The game actually seems quite focused on single player with the constant assault from the npcs via phone calls and the cringeworthy fmvs.

They said it was so it could upload pictures hahahaha
must be some magic needed that means that they can't take a pic hold onto it and someday upload it the next time your connected.
You know...like every device out there hahah

willbsn13

They said it was so it could upload pictures hahahaha
must be some magic needed that means that they can't take a pic hold onto it and someday upload it the next time your connected.
You know...like every device out there hahah

Wait......what? Are you serious? I need a link to this if that's actually true.

cj_iwakura

No manual tranmission

tumblr_inline_nbrrfve6Me1r6uc34.gif

Karak

Wait......what? Are you serious? I need a link to this if that's actually true.

From the wiki
The reason for an always-online internet connection was because of Autolog's new in-game snapshot feature explained by Marcus Nilsson which rewards the players and their snapshots with Rep Points, Experience Points and in-game money if other players liked them enough.[19]
I am pretty sure no one believed them that something couldn't have been worked out in a better way.

viveks86

I was gonna play this only when the pc version was out, but all the issues raised in the thread have killed my hype for it

When you first start the game (long ass loading screen), you need to exit the garage once before you can begin to teleport to races from the garage. It's stupid, I know.

You can also view messages to directly take you to the waypoint on the map. HOWEVER, if there are multiple missions from a character, you CAN'T view waypoints via messages.

What the hell? that sounds ridiculous and how can one even stumble across this?

I tried for ages to transport myself and i couldnt get it done - they should either do it as an option that is clearly labelled or do away with it all and have us drive there.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why is it impossible to pause in single player? Is it because the game is always online? Anyway, it`s ridiculous. I have kids and a dog, so I pause my games all the time.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
I'm planning to look for a retail demo for this because I don't have a PS4 or X1. If there is none, I'll have to wait for the PC version. Maybe there will be a free PC beta?

I'm an Underground 2 kid so I've been waiting for an Underground 3 ever since I finished U2. I want this game to be good but it seems like they've blown it all to hell. There are so many boneheaded design decisions, between the Battlefield engine and the SimCity level of always online. There is so much stupid shit in this game it's funny and sad at the same time. For example, in the game, you automatically pick up phone calls in the middle of races and cop chases, and there are a lot of them, and they're fucking annoying, but if you have a phone call in real life and need to pause the game in the middle of a race or cop chase you're shit out of luck.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

One little thing I'm interested in seeing is if modders manage to rip the game's car models and backport them as mods to the older NFS games. It would breathe some new life into them.

Top Bottom