• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

What the hell? that sounds ridiculous and how can one even stumble across this?

I tried for ages to transport myself and i couldnt get it done - they should either do it as an option that is clearly labelled or do away with it all and have us drive there.

You need to pull up the map, select the mission (you need to press X/A) then press right on the D-Pad lol. Yeah, pretty ridiculous and unintuitive. There has to be an easier way but I haven't found it.

ISee

I just noticed Need for Speed (2015) [PS4/XONE] is Need for Speed (2016) [PC]. The PC release is 6 months later. They are just now starting to port it? WTF?!

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
I can't deal with that art direction. It's not 2003 anymore. And fuck always online!

If you're talking about the filters and fake film grain and fake lens flares and shit, that's sadly much more of a 2015 thing than a 2003 thing.

And yes, fuck always online.

Why is it always raining!?

This is just wild speculation but I'm guessing the constant rain and permanently wet roads and cars are to make the game look better, and possibly for more post-processing fodder, which ties back to the fake shit I posted above.

I hate it though. It's way too pervasive and way too annoying.

Why is it always raining!?

I'm nearing the end game stuff, I think. It says I'm at 51%, but I'm near the end of the speed stuff and getting up there in one or two of the others. The Outlaw is the one I'm behind on, and I hope his missions won't get too nuts because the cops are crappy in this game.

It's getting kind of insane. The AI is perfect, and you need to be too.

I think Just want a new Burnout Paradise. With the customisation of this NFS. And daylight.
I don't like games where it's dark all the time.

Nokterian

I just noticed Need for Speed (2015) [PS4/XONE] is Need for Speed (2016) [PC]. The PC release is 6 months later. They are just now starting to port it? WTF?!

Uh yeah they all of a sudden noticed PC players don't like being capped at 30fps..because they didn't saw this in Rivals either because the community had to fix it to run it at 60fps it is ridiculous.

Does anyone else ever feel like the handling gives out a bit on occasion?

The night/shine also makes it harder to see where to go when the path is curving all over the place.

panda-zebra

Banned
- the rich guy who gets all excited in the FMV's is such a dick, and reminds me of the guy from The Wire season on the docks who buys that really expensive jacket and everyone takes advantage of.

hah, no intention of buying this game given this thread, but will have to check out some yt videos simply to experience this given that comment.

What if I gotta go pee?

protip: an empty 6 pint milk bottle holds 6 pints of whatever you got.

daxy

Uh yeah they all of a sudden noticed PC players don't like being capped at 30fps..because they didn't saw this in Rivals either because the community had to fix it to run it at 60fps it is ridiculous.

The 60fps thing was never fully fixed in Rivals. Unlocking the frame rate led you to always 'lose connection' to the host during certain races (even if playing offline) thus making them uncompletable unless you reverted back to 30.

If you're talking about the filters and fake film grain and fake lens flares and shit, that's sadly much more of a 2015 thing than a 2003 thing.

And yes, fuck always online.

Mostly talking about the color palette and night only. But you're right, there is a lot of post processing going on.

prudislav

All the info kinda reminds me of this...
ZNiyoKf.png

RIP NFS :-(

gossi

Anyone got the game yet? It broke street date over here

It's been available since last week on EA Access via Xbox One, there's a 10 hour free trial.

The game is not very good. You cannot pause the game, tutorials appear in the middle of the screen and black it out (without pausing the game), midrace so you crash into walls, the transition from dawn to midnight (there's no daytime) happens instantly - literally the world just turns to blackness suddenly.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's been available since last week on EA Access via Xbox One, there's a 10 hour free trial.

The game is not very good. You cannot pause the game, tutorials appear in the middle of the screen and black it out (without pausing the game), midrace so you crash into walls, the transition from dawn to midnight (there's no daytime) happens instantly - literally the world just turns to blackness suddenly.

Reviews will be out soon enough.

Doesn't seem like deal breaking things. Beside this, what's good? Customization? Atmosphere?

Daffy Duck

Seems like a dud, oh well just as well my son will be playing this just to blast about the city in the cars after I unlock everything.

After Assassin's Creed Syndicates overall bashing session on GAF, I'll wait out for reviews once again to get a clear picture of what's going on. Who knows, could be another Phantom Pain situation where I'm in the minority and the reviews don't really help.

I've played it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Can't be the only one who thinks its pretty good. I know its not Forza but it wasn't aiming to be that either.

Best wishes.

Megauap

Anyone knows how to make the police put roadblocks? I'm trying to complete the daily challenge but so far only smashed 1 roadblock. I've been in pursuit for 8 minutes with the maximum heat level (level 2) and no roadblocks were set up.

lem0n

After Assassin's Creed Syndicates overall bashing session on GAF, I'll wait out for reviews once again to get a clear picture of what's going on. Who knows, could be another Phantom Pain situation where I'm in the minority and the reviews don't really help.

I've played it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Can't be the only one who thinks its pretty good. I know its not Forza but it wasn't aiming to be that either.

Best wishes.

Most people sticking around in this thread DON'T like it, so that's why there's that overall feeling in this thread. I, along with a lot of other people, liked the Beta for what it was. I'm glad I'm not alone here. Every game has issues, along with this one. Always online and no pause don't bother me since I'm online all the time anyways and I'll just wait to get to the garage to pee. I probably won't keep the game long enough for it to become a drink coaster when the servers go down because I trade games in. Day 1 patch will address the AI, from what I understand. People bitching about an empty city would bitch if there were more traffic cars because they kept hitting them and theres no rewind like Forza or quick recovery like Burnout.

Arttemis

Man I really wanted to like this game. I love the customization in it (even if it is limited in higher end cars as well as some lower end cars too, like the Volvo 242) and the graphics, sound and car selection are all fantastic.

There's just too many annoyances in it for me to have an enjoyable experience.

• No manual tranmission
  • No way to create your own lobbies or settings for multiplayer, no quick join of lobbies to get into PvP. Instead we get a completely convoluted system in which you'll basically never get a match of PvP going unless it's against friends
  • Dusk to Dawn night cycle is undynamic, different areas have the same lighting each time you visit. (The hills at the top of the map are always at dawn, for example)
  • Always online for no good reason, and considering it is always online, why the fuck is there no multiplayer lobbies? If they're gonna make it always online, you better fucking support the online aspect of the game. Instead we get nothing.
  • Only 79 events in the full game. 79. Considering there basically is no PvP (or very limited) this game is going die soooo quickly. Little single player content + no PvP is such a bad combination.
  • Rubberbanding AI - they even said they'd fix this from the beta. Nope. Still there. Still blatantly obivous. Unless there's a day one patch..
  • Empty open world. There are collectibles, but only 12 of them are meaningful. (free parts) The rest of them are vista locations (in which you can't even take controlled photos at) and donut spots. Wow. There's also very little going on in the world - it just feels so empty to drive in. In a game about car culture, you'd expect little hubs of activity, car meet ups etc. But none of that is present.
  • You'd think this game would have a photomode like DC/FH2 to show off the customisation/graphics. Nope.
  • Stop the phone calls, mid race please. It's a constant barrage which is really infuriating.
  • I don't think I've seen one dry road in the game. Makes the environments even more repetitive than they already were.
  • No wheel support

etc, etc. Too many frustrating things take away from what's good for me to enjoy it.
Thought this could use a quote for the newest page.

No offline
No justification for no offline
No pause
No drag racing
No manual transmission
No cockpit view
No wheel support

No clue what they were thinking.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thought this could use a quote for the newest page.

No offline
No justification for no offline
No pause
No drag racing
No manual transmission
No cockpit view
No wheel support

No clue what they were thinking.

No buy.

Sigh. Was looking forward to this one.

There is zero reason for always online. Zero. Sad.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Man I really wanted to like this game. I love the customization in it (even if it is limited in higher end cars as well as some lower end cars too, like the Volvo 242) and the graphics, sound and car selection are all fantastic.

There's just too many annoyances in it for me to have an enjoyable experience.

• No manual tranmission
  • No way to create your own lobbies or settings for multiplayer, no quick join of lobbies to get into PvP. Instead we get a completely convoluted system in which you'll basically never get a match of PvP going unless it's against friends
  • Dusk to Dawn night cycle is undynamic, different areas have the same lighting each time you visit. (The hills at the top of the map are always at dawn, for example)
  • Always online for no good reason, and considering it is always online, why the fuck is there no multiplayer lobbies? If they're gonna make it always online, you better fucking support the online aspect of the game. Instead we get nothing.
  • Only 79 events in the full game. 79. Considering there basically is no PvP (or very limited) this game is going die soooo quickly. Little single player content + no PvP is such a bad combination.
  • Rubberbanding AI - they even said they'd fix this from the beta. Nope. Still there. Still blatantly obivous. Unless there's a day one patch..
  • Empty open world. There are collectibles, but only 12 of them are meaningful. (free parts) The rest of them are vista locations (in which you can't even take controlled photos at) and donut spots. Wow. There's also very little going on in the world - it just feels so empty to drive in. In a game about car culture, you'd expect little hubs of activity, car meet ups etc. But none of that is present.
  • You'd think this game would have a photomode like DC/FH2 to show off the customisation/graphics. Nope.
  • Stop the phone calls, mid race please. It's a constant barrage which is really infuriating.
  • I don't think I've seen one dry road in the game. Makes the environments even more repetitive than they already were.
  • No wheel support

etc, etc. Too many frustrating things take away from what's good for me to enjoy it.

To think that when they were teasing the game...I was expecting it to be the besf NFS since Most Wanted 2005. Dear God... This game sounds like such a piece of shit. Damn.

Purdy

Really thought I'd like this but

No pause
CONSTANT FUCKING PHONE CALLS
Catch up AI

These three just make it unbearable about two hours in.

hawk2025

The gameplay seems so weak and fundamentally limited by things like no manual transmission that I have to wonder what is even the point of all the available customization.

Without the backend to make sense of it, it's really not much more than playing dress-up with cars.

Moltenix

Really thought I'd like this but

No pause
CONSTANT FUCKING PHONE CALLS
Catch up AI

These three just make it unbearable about two hours in.

Hah, was just about to post these exact same things.

Can't stand the rubberbanding AI at all. Just when you think you've got a good lead, NOPE!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Right this thread been up for some time now, where's the reviews lol

You need to pull up the map, select the mission (you need to press X/A) then press right on the D-Pad lol. Yeah, pretty ridiculous and unintuitive. There has to be an easier way but I haven't found it.

How the hell did you work this out? Thanks anyway!

hah, no intention of buying this game given this thread, but will have to check out some yt videos simply to experience this given that comment.

protip: an empty 6 pint milk bottle holds 6 pints of whatever you got.
You will know exactly who it is when you see him. Think it's the first guy you meet. Spike maybe?

augh rubber banding AI

Honest question, is there any other way for developers to do racing AI without having it rubberbanded? Just about every non-sim racing game I know of seems to have people complaining about the rubberbanding. I can't think of any other way to program the AI without it being impossible to catch up or a snooze-fest.

Rubberbanding, when done right, can actually be a very good thing because it keeps races close without being unfair.

Best wishes.

Yeah, it can be a challenge trying to gauge whether a game is good/bad/awesome through NeoGAF threads (or reviews for that matter). Negativity runs rampant in gaming culture specifically when a title is released for a franchise form one of the big publishers. I think it comes down to knowing yourself and what you'll enjoy paired with the ability to sort smart or shallow reviews and garbage, shit-posting from smartly written, valuable impressions.

I've seen and heard enough about the new Need for Speed to know that I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

nikos

I'll never understand the complaints about the game being always online. I've had a cable connection for over 16 years and I'm pretty sure the rest of the world, at least in places where this game is being marketed, is up to speed by now. If your connection is down and you can't play one day, it's not that big of a deal. You also can't do a lot of other things.

If it has to do with servers eventually going down, rendering the game unplayable, that's how games with dedicated servers have always worked. Nothing new. People won't be playing the game at that point anyway.

People seem to be complaining just for the sake of complaining, especially because this is EA and NFS. I'm willing to bet most of the people complaining never had interest in the game anyway. It's shitposting, if you ask me.

I'll never understand the complaints about the game being always online. I've had a cable connection for over 16 years and I'm pretty sure the rest of the world, at least in places where this game is being marketed, is up to speed by now. If your connection is down and you can't play one day, it's not that big of a deal. You also can't do a lot of other things.

If it has to do with servers eventually going down, rendering the game unplayable, that's how games with dedicated servers have always worked. Nothing new. People won't be playing the game at that point anyway.

People seem to be complaining just for the sake of complaining, especially because this is EA and NFS. I'm willing to bet most of the people complaining never had interest in the game anyway. It's shitposting, if you ask me.
I'm with you on that. It's a minority of people who have a current gen console who don't have reliable Internet. I also don't get the "split screen" complaint.

I haven't played couch coop since guitar hero or fifa so I don't see why people expect for halo 5 to have split screen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
<snip cause this rebuttal is always obtuse>

If it has to do with servers eventually going down, rendering the game unplayable, that's how games with dedicated servers have always worked. Nothing new.

No. That is definitely not it.

The game should be able to be played single player like it always has. Has nothing to do with "NFS/EA tho". All companies catch flak for shady practices.

I'm with you on that. It's a minority of people who have a current gen console who don't have reliable Internet. I also don't get the "split screen" complaint.

I haven't played couch coop since guitar hero or fifa so I don't see why people expect for halo 5 to have split screen.

If it is a minority, then why are more than half not subscribed and playing online with both consoles? Maybe connected features do not concern people, thus they just play their single player games. NFS has always had single player. The reason is for EA to cut you off eventually which makes your game a dud, but "NFS3 is out, go grab it".

Top Bottom