• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

neoGAF, a plea for help: please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

Basically, I just want some proof that $15k is a reasonable number for the financial concerns of this type of care over the few months you are asking for. I live in Canada so I'm not privvy to U.S. health care fees.
It's a drop in the bucket. Long-term care, surgery and prescription drug costs can easily run into 6 figures.

A medical company tried to charge me $1300 for a plastic and velcro foot brace once.

Biff

To give you a vague idea of US health care fees, medical expenses were the #1 cause of bankruptcy last I checked.

I do recognize that and I sympathize with the OP.

Again, just want to make sure he is asking for a reasonable amount... That the money is going towards health care and not a new car, TV, etc. (which I'm 99.9999% sure it won't).

dc89

I don't know the situation fully but I can say if insurance really isn't covering things, $15k isn't even going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost. Health care costs in the US are a complete and total joke.

Not to derail but THIS!

I saw a message on Twitter the other day from a cancer patient, it was a top tweet on my iPhone app. It was something like:

"God help you if you get Cancer and are a US citizen, because the health care system won't."

Makes me feel privileged to live in the UK. Anyway, best of look to this cause and like I said, if I can throw in any amount I will do so next week!

___

OMG! Wow, Evilore!! Damn it, GAF is incredible.

Bentendo

I do recognize that and I sympathize with the OP.

Again, just want to make sure he is asking for a reasonable amount... That the money is going towards health care and not a new car, TV, etc. (which I'm 99.9999% sure it won't).

I understand completely. For most people I'd probably want that kind of information too... I guess I just trust Amir0x. :/

Amir0x

Banned
I don't mean to be a prick either, I know this is a horrible time but I as well want to make sure the amount you are asking for is legit.

Basically, I just want some proof that $15k is a reasonable number for the financial concerns of this type of care over the few months you are asking for. I live in Canada so I'm not privvy to U.S. health care fees.

Again, I'm sorry for asking. My gut tells me this is honest -- my brain just wants me to make sure that the health care is not $5k and $10k is for "general" expenses, i.e. Kony 2012 type of nonsense.

Thanks and good luck.

Hm, I'm totally open to getting you any evidence you require. I'm just unsure yet as to what specific documentary evidence I can get to pinpoint such fears and put them to rest. I'm discussing with my Mom what financial documents she's willing to part with to the seering eyes of the internet.

But just to give you a taste of how crazy it is, even just the three-times-per-week dialysis costs something like $400-$600 per treatment. And that's three times per week. Dialysis @ home is five times per week (or six, depending on your scenario), but it is cheaper per day since once training is over there won't be nurses involved. But with the added days, it isn't significantly cheaper per week. If her medical insurance ended up covering dialysis @ home the same way they've covered her three-times-per-week dialysis, then she'd end up something like $300 per week. And that's just dialysis. She is on endless medication, has countless doctors visits, the list goes on and on. And all of it her insurance covers partly, but not all.

EDIT: HOLY FUCK EVILORE, thank you so much!

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I love that we can all bicker over relatively pointless nonsense but still be bros when it counts. Best of luck to you and your family Amirox! Sorry I couldn't give more.

Az

You guys are the bomb, I am getting all weird n mushy...

*think about Monster trucks, think about Monster trucks

Biff

Hm, I'm totally open to getting you any evidence you require. I'm just unsure yet as to what specific documentary evidence I can get to pinpoint such fears and put them to rest. I'm discussing with my Mom what financial documents she's willing to part with to the seering eyes of the internet.

But just to give you a taste of how crazy it is, even just the three-times-per-week dialysis costs something like $400-$600 per treatment. And that's three times per week. Dialysis @ home is five times per week (or six, depending on your scenario), but it is cheaper per day since once training is over there won't be nurses involved. But with the added days, it isn't significantly cheaper per week. If her medical insurance ended up covering dialysis @ home the same way they've covered her three-times-per-week dialysis, then she'd end up something like $300 per week. And that's just dialysis. She is on endless medication, has countless doctors visits, the list goes on and on. And all of it her insurance covers partly, but not all.

EDIT: HOLY FUCK EVILORE

Thanks for the reply, no further proof required, I trust what you're saying. The numbers sound reasonable (well, in my Canadian opinion, unreasonable that health care costs so much. Wow.). Posting sensitive financial information online is not required.

I pitched in $20. As soon as I can, I'll do more.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm in a rough financial state myself right now, but nothing remotely close to this. I can't pitch in much, regrettably, but I donated $5. Best wishes to you, your Mom, and your entire family, Ami. :D

I just pitched in $20. Wish I could pitch in more, but I'm on the edge financially myself. I pay more in student loan payments than probably anybody on this forum.

I put in some words of encouragement from my Trojan background: "Fight on!"

Amir0x

Banned
Is the name associated with the credit card visible to the donor?

Not that I can see. The only thing I see is the notes on the side with the usernames people chose to use, I can't see anything related to the financial information from donors.

Thanks for the reply, no further proof required, I trust what you're saying. The numbers sound reasonable (well, in my Canadian opinion, unreasonable that health care costs so much. Wow.). Posting sensitive financial information online is not required.

I pitched in $20. As soon as I can, I'll do more.

Thanks. I am really going to post documents though related to this, because I can understand the concern. I myself have not always been the most trustworthy person.

But just so you know, the money that comes from the website won't even be written to me - the beneficiary is Betty Goldberg, and that's who the check GiveForward is going to send out will be written to.

x-Lundz-x

Best of luck and I hope what I'm able to give will help. I wish you, your Family, and most of all your Mother the best.

Go_Ly_Dow

I can spare $8 for now (have around $90 in my account in the moment that I need to survive of for the next 10 days.)

When I get paid in 10 days time I can give a lot more.

Good luck =)

Biff

Thanks. I am really going to post documents though related to this, because I can understand the concern. I myself have not always been the most trustworthy person.

But just so you know, the money that comes from the website won't even be written to me - the beneficiary is Betty Goldberg, and that's who the check GiveForward is going to send out will be written to.

Good to know. I really appreciate GiveForward's focus on medical expenses that much more now. Hope you reach your goal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Donated. Was almost moved to tears when I said what the total was after only about 21 hour. Then I saw EviLore's donation and the "almost" went away.

Does the service not take Paypal? I would love to donate but I hate giving my card number out to much (had a few issues in the past).

I assume this service is trust worthy. Sorry not trying to be difficult.

S.Dedalus

Not much, but I did what I could.

Best of luck to you and your family, Ami.

(EviLore, you're incredible. Just saying. I fucking love this place.)

JaseMath

I gave a small bit. Sorry I couldn't do more, though every little bit helps. Best of luck to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom