• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

neoGAF, a plea for help: please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Donated. Was almost moved to tears when I said what the total was after only about 2 hours. Then I saw EviLore's donation and the "almost" went away.

I called my Mom after that donation, and she is still sobbing. She is not used to such random acts of kindness. She wants to create a video with her to thank to donors and explain in detail what she is going through, since she is more intimately familiar with the problems than even I am. So I hope that will clear up the extent of the families financial burdens for those with concerns about what we will spend this on.

Knowing that there are so many people out there willing to help someone they don't even know makes me really feel like people are amazing

OK. My sugar daddy is He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Thanks for the donation sugar daddy :D

Good to know. I really appreciate GiveForward's focus on medical expenses that much more now. Hope you reach your goal.

Yeah, they take out 7% or something at the end, but given how easy they made this process I think that's a fair amount.

Snkfanatic said:
Does the service not take Paypal? I would love to donate but I hate giving my card number out to much (had a few issues in the past).

I assume this service is trust worthy. Sorry not trying to be difficult.

My mom is setting up a paypal account this weekend for conjunction with this fundraiser.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
There is hope for humanity yet :) Hope your mum gets better soon Ami! I unfortunately have no money to my name but if i come into some i will be sure to donate! x

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I called my Mom after that donation, and she is still sobbing. She is not used to such random acts of kindness. She wants to create a video with her to thank to donors and explain in detail what she is going through, since she is more intimately familiar with the problems than even I am. So I hope that will clear up the extent of the families financial burdens for those with concerns about what we will spend this on.

Knowing that there are so many people out there willing to help someone they don't even know makes me really feel like people are amazing
Over $3,000 now in about an hour and 20 minutes. I am straight up bawling at work. :-[ I have loved this community since I got here but this kind and degree of unquestioning generosity toward one of its members (and not just any member...) is completely overwhelming me.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
:'(

rezuth

Hope the little I could spare helps. I'll see if I can kick you some more, I have to make a budget first. I'm quitting my job to work on something very special for me so money will be tight during the time but I'm sure I can cut down on something to help you out.

turnbuckle

Just pitched in a bit. Best wishes to your family. Wish I could give more, but I'm so happy to see the generosity of the internet and the best side of people come through here :)

Would it be beneficial to submit this to news sites as a story idea? I mean, it's pretty amazing that thousands of dollars would be donated in less than an hour to a total stranger.

Could bring some more attention to the fundrasier...

sflufan

Banned
Would it be beneficial to submit this to news sites as a story idea? I mean, it's pretty amazing that thousands of dollars would be donated in less than an hour to a total stranger.

Yeah, and it didn't even have anything to do with a shitty ending to a videogame!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Yeah, reddit seems like a particularly good venue.

blame space, ami can't unban you anymore

(I kid, totally awesome of him to kick in from The Phantom Zone.)

amazing

I've always loved this place for the quality of its membership but I'm honestly touched right now to be a part of such an amazing community.
yes. I am losing all my man cards right now.

I hope in the deepest part of my soul that I never have to endure medical and financial tragedy of the scope Ami is describing here, but if it does come to pass I am oddly proud to know that belonging to this community could have such an impact on my life.

there is good in this world :)

sorry i can't donate AmirOx, i'm unemployed and have negative bank accounts >_<

but hopefully i can get you something in a couple weeks :)

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
I suggest Evillore offers one "get out of the jail free" pass (not getting banned when you should) for any gaffer that contributes!

turnbuckle

BTW, I hope you don't mind Ami, but I posted this thread on my facebook wall. I preferred to do that rather than let the donation site's generated message get posted. Hopefully a few friends will click, see the thread, and be compelled to make a contribution too. :)

Magnus

After months of searching, I think I'll have a job and my first paycheque in a month's time; hope it won't be too late to donate then.

All the best, and great to see GAF pile in like this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm even thinking something like CNN.

Though reddit may give it even more attention than that I suppose...
Amir0x, if you/your mom would be comfortable with it I'm happy to make the submission to CNN's iReport. Who knows if it'd ever go anywhere but they seem to like stories about the good in human nature and this is one.
I was just thinking that this would be the perfect time for fistful to finally pony up that $50 :p
..now laughing through tears

Feep

Banned
I was never your biggest fan, Ami, but hey, your mom looks pretty cool. Donated, and tell her I said good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom