• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

neoGAF, a plea for help: please read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping because this is a topic every GAFfer can have an impact on.

Best of luck, Amirox. I might not have agreed with all you've done and said, but you were part of the mod team which made GAF what it is today; an excellently user-curated board with great discussion and a strong community.

mblitek

I donated. I might be able to donate some more later on as right now I'm a little tight on money after selfishly going shopping yesterday and then stumbling across this today :( I have a website to finish up and then I should have a few extra dollars!

Everyone can say what they want about Obama and his health care reforms but as a Canadian I think it is about time. It is absolutely disgusting to see one of the worlds leading powers treat the large majority of its population with such disregard all in the name of making a "dirty" dollar.

I live with a Spinal Cord Injury and if it wasn't for my hospital bills being covered by our healthcare system my multiple operations and sick stays since would be well over the $1 million mark. In total I have spent about 90 days in ICU, 30 days on the "floor" and 120 days and a spinal cord rehab centre. So without Canadian healthcare, my family would be without a doubt flat broke.

I really hope your mom can pull through this! You decide to keep your chin up and keep on keepin' on.

Thousand bucks for Ami's mom. Best wishes.

Sweet Jesus, nice job! Lead by example!

GhaleonEB

Your story is very similar to what I went through with my mother, who was hit with rheumatoid arthritis, mixed connective tissue disorder (an autoimmune disease), and pulmonary hypertension (which is what ultimately killed her). She never really got proper diagnosis or healthcare until it was way too late.

Best wishes to your mother, Ami, I donated a bit to help. The US healthcare system is so fucked up.

jimi_dini

I would like to donate as well, but I can't afford it.

I'm in a similar situation, but somewhat different. I got an incurable disease, that will at least not kill me (now) and there is no approved medicine on the market, that works against the cause. All of them work against the symptoms. In most cases they help somewhat, but I'm worst-case. I got almost every single type of medicine in 2009 and nothing helped. Luckily I got a not-yet approved medicine back end of 2009, without it, I would have died already. Sadly they gave it to too many people outside of the official studies and the manufacturer of the medicine stopped giving it out, because it was obviously "illegal" to give it out (they gave it out free of charge, insurance didn't pay a dime, I donated by myself, I even found out about it by myself as well, doctors had no clue) 1 1/2 years ago.

I was at least a bit lucky again and found a pharmacy that sold a similar medication, but of course I had to pay for it fully by myself, which brought me under the poverty line until 1 month ago (I got medical insurance, in fact I'm forced to have one and I'm working as (sap) software dev, so the situation was/is completely crazy). I found another pharmacy that sells something like it and in this case it's more than 50% cheaper. And what's even worse, my medical insurance WOULD pay me chemotherapy (working against symptoms like I said) that would cost 3000+EUR every 2 months, but they don't pay me the really working medicine, which is cheaper than chemotherapy and has almost no sideeffects at all (yeah, crazy isn't it), just because it's not yet approved. So currently I'm waiting for another official statement from my medical insurance company to sue them afterwards.

TL;DR: medical insurance sucks.

Fellow

Screw the US Health Insurance companies. Whole damn system is so completely borked it's tragic. And I say this from personal experience.

Donated.

Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Sjogren's, Wegener's?

Fuck.

Sounds like a terrible episode of House.

I can't donate right now.. I'm currently working check by check... I will when I can.

By the way, Lupus is 95% what's caused all of that... well I don't know what Sjogren's is...

Lupus is auto-immune.. so it attacks the body.. causing things like rheumatoid, vasculitis, and kidney failure. I'm sure you know this already.

Looking on the bright side, Wegener's requires immunosuppression, which will not only slow down the Lupus (which I'm sure is already being managed at this point, but help with the arthritis degeneration as well.

Screw the US Health Insurance companies. Whole damn system is so completely borked it's tragic. And I say this from personal experience.

Donated.

Real talk.

Medical Gaf reporting in.

Sadly, I'm a broke 17 year old mofo so I can't do much, but I wish your mom a full happy recovery and success. It's amazing to see how much you're friends and community have raised. What did your mother say about all this? :D

Amir0x

Banned
appreciate all the kind words, been a real uplifting exercise. we're almost to 50% of our goal in a day or so, so we couldn't have asked for anything better. neoGAF has been invaluable to us. This is one special community.

Edit: AND we just hit 50%! Woo!

Donated. Shed a few tears too, amazing what this community has offered to do.

Why isn't this posted on the gaming side too? Some folks never pass by the OT.

EktorPR

Donated the $8 dollars I had on my Debit/Credit card, but I'll definitely donate more once I deposit money on it later this month. A big, solidarious hug from PR to you and your mom, my friend! :)

Xeke

Banned
appreciate all the kind words, been a real uplifting exercise. we're almost to 50% of our goal in a day or so, so we couldn't have asked for anything better. neoGAF has been invaluable to us. This is one special community.

It makes me happy to see. A community, even a online one, is something that helps its own in time of need. There have been a few examples of true community on this forum, GAF members letting other members crash at their house in time of need and now this. Help your fellow community member in their time of need. That is what defines an actual community.

Don't have any money to donate right now, but I posted the giveforward.com link on my Facebook, hopefully it'll help a little. I wish the best for you and your mother.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Don't forget to update the OP when you get PayPal sorted for us euro types.

Amir0x

Banned
quick update: The video on my sister's camera is like broke, so we're going to be using my other sister's camera and will be uploading my mom's thank you video on Monday or Tuesday. PayPal should be on Monday too, I hope.

boingball

Just saw this thread (usually not browsing the non-gaming side of NeoGAF) and donated.

All the best to you and your mom Amir0x.

Yep. Saw a random plug in the iOS gaming thread, of all places; and had to stop by to do my part.

Yup, thats where I got linked to this thread too.

Billen

Banned
quick update: The video on my sister's camera is like broke, so we're going to be using my other sister's camera and will be uploading my mom's thank you video on Monday or Tuesday. PayPal should be on Monday too, I hope.

Keep this up until it's the 25th. Payday incoming for some of us! Will absolutely help you and your family.

Chromax

Just caught up to this thread while browsing GAF since I can't sleep and I don't know how I missed it. I'll definitely donate in a bit and I hope everything works out in the best way it can for you, Ami!

This really touched me as I've been half way across the world from my mom for months and I really miss her.

I'm in.

I feel for you, Amir0x, and I completely understand about the dialysis and what a soul-sucking thing it is. My mom just got her transplant a few years ago after being on it for a while, my sister will likely have to start sometime soon, my nana was on it for years...basically everyone in my family. :p It's not much, but it gets you a bit closer to that peace of mind which will do wonders for your mom's health and fighting spirit.

Also, looks like Chromax (you awesome person, you) is doing matching up to $500 (well, 475 left now), so step up gaffers!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Whoa, Chromax
69mz2.gif

jenov4

Just donated.. makes me really appreciate what I have right now. Best wishes to Mom. Hats off to anyone whose donated.

Amir0x

Banned
Awesome Cromax is doing a matching donation drive, so we need to get up $500 in around 3 days. Thanks a million for that Cromax!

vinicius

Neo Member
My GF is a long time lurker on GAF and showed me this post. I didn't had time to read through the whole thread but I'm about to cry just from reading the OP. My relationship with my mother ain't the best one and even so (or more so) I feel like you should be helped. Problem is I'm still a student, so I can't really give what I wish.
$15 on my name and pinched an extra $5 in the name of my lady. Good luck, pal, honestly.

I work with a guy who is on Dialysis at home 4 times a day (peritoneal dialysis, I mean 4 water exchanges a day) and waiting for a transplant, luckily his sister looks like a viable candidate. Threads like these are no place for political points, but had she been born in the UK she'd be able to get all of her treatment for free. I hope everyone here and everyone you know privately can do the best they can to help smooth the burdens you and your mum face. I'm paid on Friday and will pledge what I can then.

daw840

It's absolutely amazing that over $8000 has been raised by NeoGAF (I know it is probably not 100% GAF, but I bet it's a large amount). This place is amazing. Regardless of how much we seem to hate each other sometimes, we come together when it matters.

Bravo GAF.

Amir0x

Banned
We didn't hit the $500 yet; $250 more needs to be raised for the matching donation.

daw840: neoGAF has raised easily 95% of all the funds that have come into this. It's an astonishing outpouring of support that genuinely has exceeded my expectations. I've always loved this community since being introduced to it, but the respect I have for it now is something akin to ironclad loyalty. Fiercely protective, even. neoGAF is amazing.

Heads up EUROGAF:

PayPal has been linked to the GiveForward account. I think you guys should now be able to donate with PayPal directly to the GiveForward fundraiser. If for whatever reason you guys have difficulty with that method still, just PM me and I'll give you the PayPal account info directly and you can donate that way. Again, a million thanks :D

This is me, supporting this endeavour.

NEW PAGE:

Amirox said:
We didn't hit the $500 yet; $250 more needs to be raised for the matching donation.

daw840: neoGAF has raised easily 95% of all the funds that have come into this. It's an astonishing outpouring of support that genuinely has exceeded my expectations. I've always loved this community since being introduced to it, but the respect I have for it now is something akin to ironclad loyalty. Fiercely protective, even. neoGAF is amazing.

Heads up EUROGAF:

PayPal has been linked to the GiveForward account. I think you guys should now be able to donate with PayPal directly to the GiveForward fundraiser. If for whatever reason you guys have difficulty with that method still, just PM me and I'll give you the PayPal account info directly and you can donate that way. Again, a million thanks :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sent $50 your way.

FWIW my dad was doing home dialysis for a few months along with chemo and still wore a goddam smile on his face like the stone willed mother fucker he was.
He didn't tell anyone about his cancer and he just racked up debt and didn't pay his bills in the end. Fuck this countries healthcare. Fuck it so hard.

dosh

Heads up EUROGAF:

It worked for me. I was going to send you a pm earlier, to know if there were any progress on that front, and you updated the OP at that exact time :D

Smokey

Bumping this.

I don't have anything to give at the moment Ami, but I wish your mother the best of luck. I am an only child to my mother and I tried putting myself in your shoes and my eyes started watering.

Fam is in my prayers and GAF is an amazing community for helping out in a situation like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom