• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Beyond Good & Evil in Pre-Production

So maybe within the decade.
Beyond Good & Evil was one of the best games of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen, in terms of both gameplay and story.
Ehhh, that's the reason I can't finish my PS2 copy I have had for 11 years now.

Gameplay doesn't do it for me. Story and setting I love though. Maybe I should try to get the PC version, I assume it runs better.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I would be more excited about this if we hadn't been through the ringers with this game in the past.

Once we get an official announcement with an official gameplay trailer, then I'll get hyped.

Playsage

I don't know how to feel

The fuck happened all these years?

And why "reveal" it like this instead of going nuclear at a conference?

Still... Good to know, I guess

Vi8sp3R.gif

Hard to get excited over nothing. I suppose it could ubisofts duke nukem forever.

Still not convinced it's not going to fall apart in 6-12 months.
Well, yeah.

Ubisoft is in the middle of a hostile takeover. They can greenlight whatever hail mary pass they want right now. Either they take the risk and it works out, they succeed at holding Vivendi off, it's too far in development for Vivendi to do something about it, or Vivendi kills it and none of it mattered, anyway. Yves has nothing to lose here.

The best case scenario is that someone else is funding it, but people are already quitting gaming over that.

Trago

Ugh. I don't wanna wait however the heck many more years for this game. It was supposed to have been a trilogy already dammit.

Eusis

No chance this project will survive once Vivendi takes over Ubisoft.
Would find it funny if they'd be more open to it. Doubt that'd actually be the case, especially since they seem to have a bad reputation with this crap, but hey.
People are assuming this is a full 3D AAA retail title.

Should you necessarily be assuming that?
Well, I expect it to be 3D anyway. AAA on the other hand... Retail's kind of a toss up though. Probably some limited deal/only in select countries thing if it's not AAA.

Bladenic

I don't get it. What was that video from years ago then? Why make it? Was the game cancelled and is now uncancelled and basically starting over?

Yves: We halt projects for over half a decade so we can eke out more game design from more powerful consoles, losing millions.

Investors: Uh...huh. *sells everything to Vivendi*

Vivendi: Wow, this was super easy!

Back in 2008 the games that were really exciting me were Banjo Threeie, Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy XIII, and this. The rest of those turned out to be garbage so I really hope this doesn't suck.

sjay1994

Is it possibly PS4 exclusive since Sony has the deal with Wild?

No chance.

Ancel is working on Sony with Wild with his own studio Wild Sheep.

Ancel is also still at ubisoft montpellier.

He is basically moving between both working on 2 games.

BGE is a Ubisoft property, so unless one of these parties (Nintendo, Sony, MS) made a significant contribution in funds to ubisoft to mitigate financial risk on ubisofts part, there is no way this is an exclusive to one platform.

Trago

I don't get it. What was that video from years ago then? Why make it? Was the game cancelled and is now uncancelled and basically starting over?

Makes me wonder what they even got done in the first place. Like what direction they had it in then as opposed to what they're doing now.

And we ain't hearing shit until whenever. Frustrating.

KORNdoggy

Stylistically this is almost parody levels imo. Like how naughty dog had a next gen filter in their games. This is like "next gen" character design. It's all hyper real, and desaturated and grungy and, well, boring. What the hell happened? Or is this as much of a sequal to BG&E as the new prey is to the first game?

Glass Rebel

I'm sure the team would start working on a pure passion project that's completely restricting them from actually doing what they envisioned. Download game incoming, you've got it!

So BG&E2 is a PS5 game? Or was it passion that kept them from getting PS4 devkits until 3 years into its lifecycle?

I guess in the first picture he thanked Ubisoft for slapping the B&G name on something he actually doesn't really want to make then.

Oh, I'm sure he wants to make it and maybe he'll actually get to this time. But I doubt it's even close to the level of a standard AAA Ubi title and I find it really hard to believe it was shelved due to seventh gen consoles not being able to handle it. Who knows though.

For Honor is a giant triple A passion project.

For Honor is like, an incredibly safe bet. Although apparently I'm learning it took him years to get it greenlit, so maybe not? Which is odd to me, because it has such a strong multiplayer component.

eso76

I guess it's good to finally have confirmation BG&E2 exists, but to be honest I thought it had been in pre-production for years at this point...
Just been greenlit doesn't mean much, especially with Vivendi takeover behind the corner.

Maxinas

The best case scenario is that someone else is funding it, but people are already quitting gaming over that.

This is likely, Nintendo did it before with bayonetta 2; with nintendo behind their backs, ubisoft has to deliver regardless of what happens to them because of vivendi.

Oh the meltdowns, tears and salt will be refreshing :^)

sjay1994

I doubt Ubisoft greenlights giant AAA passion projects.

Well, For Honor is 100% a passion project. Considering Vandenburgh (hype man with cane) has been pitching the game for like 5 years now.

It is possible that ubi themselves are greenlighting it as a "good faith game" in light of the vivdendi takeover + their current appearance in the gaming mindshare.

Unless Nintendo actually put in a substansial finnancial investment like Bayo 2, I don't see this game being exclusive.

If it is, I will probably pick up a NX then (hope its BC so I can also play bayo 2 and W101).

I really hope they can complete the project before Vivendi Takes over or at least 75%, so they have an incentive to finish anyway.

Also, Ubisoft does greenlight Passion Projects on the Triple A level but not often (more often it's much smaller stuff which end up some of the more unique stuff of this gen so far). For Honor is a great example.

I doubt Ubisoft greenlights giant AAA passion projects.

You're assuming the game is AAA.

Ubisoft does in fact greenlight quite a few (of what would at least appear to be) passion projects. Grow Home, Valiant Hearts, and Michael Ancel's own Rayman Origins and Legends.

It's one of the reasons I generally have a better view of Ubisoft than I do EA, although EA largely redeemed themselves in my mind by creating Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

Ancel in particular seems to get what he wants, even when it's unconventional.

Top Bottom