• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls 3 screenshots

JerkShep

Bloodborne robbed...of its assets

Joking, I'm hyped but I'd have preferred a totally new setting, not sure how it can be salvaged after the mess that DaS2 introduced, but I believe in Lord Miyazaki. Grant us eyes.

Love the look of the game, but I really long for a Souls game with the color palette of the Hunter's Dream and Gehrman fight in Bloodborne. I get sort of soured by the drab, muted color choice for most of the locations.

Not a fan of the overly bright locations. Hope there's not a lot of them in the game.

Hated all of those locations in DS2 too. They just have no atmosphere or give off the wrong kind of vibe.

Edit: Yea, and I think BB looks better. The artstyle of BB works much better then what we're seeing here.

Breads

Banned
In before people cry Bloodb....

Too late.

It has come full circle now. When Project Beast was nothing but a rumor the internet went crazy at the idea of a new Souls series.

When Bloodborne comes out people accepted it as a new Souls game and all was good.

Now here we have Dark Souls 3, another game in the Souls metaseries, and people are owing design elements to Bloodborne as if it is a seperate thing not made by the by the same people using the same project leads, tools, developers, and designers.

It's hilarious. These designs elements aren't from one game or another. It's a Fromsoftware action RPG in the same line of games starting from King's Field 20 years ago.

All that aside I'm pretty stoked. Played the network test and it felt pretty great. Just give me the level of variety of Ds2 and I'm good to go. I have full confidence Miyazaki can deliver. Beyond this thread I'm going on a full blackout. Game promises to be pretty great.

Gbraga

Fear the sun.

Fear the sun's temptations, and the winged executioner.

Bloodborne robbed...of its assets

Joking, I'm hyped but I'd have preferred a totally new setting, not sure how it can be salvaged after the mess that DaS2 introduced, but I believe in Lord Miyazaki. Grant us eyes.

I REALLY don't like what Dark 2 did to the story, but I think in the end it worked out well, the way they're using the several lords of cinder thing in this game is absolutely brilliant!

They're the God Hand of Dark Souls.

In before people cry Bloodb....

Too late.

It has come full circle now. When Project Beast was nothing but a rumor the internet went crazy at the idea of a new Souls series.

When Bloodborne comes out people accepted it as a new Souls game and all was good.

Now here we have Dark Souls 3, another game in the Souls metaseries, and people are owing design elements to Bloodborne as if it is a seperate thing not made by the by the same people using the same project leads, tools, developers, and designers.

It's hilarious. These designs elements aren't from one game or another. It's a Fromsoftware action RPG in the same line of games starting from King's Field 20 years ago.

All that aside I'm pretty stoked. Played the network test and it felt pretty great. Just give me the level of variety of Ds2 and I'm good to go. I have full confidence Miyazaki can deliver. Beyond this thread I'm going on a full blackout. Game promises to be pretty great.

There is literally ZERO reason not to be balls to the walls excited for Dark Souls 3

Jaeger

Looks fantastic. Also, most of you may not be aware, but did you know that Bloodborne is pretty much a Souls game? It's even made by the same company! And get this, by most of the same people who made the first two Souls games?

No wonder they are all so similar visually.

Gbraga

Daaamn, boys, my hype is getting out of control now. I wasn't THAT hyped before, didn't even like the network test that much, but now... Just give it to me!

RIP Lords

Z3M0G

It's an updated engine. Also, there are more issues in the visual department than the resolution of textures.

-

Still hope this place looks like it did in the leak:
0x600.jpg

What the bloody fucking hell... If this is real I am both amazed and regretful that I've seen it... that's some Berserk Eclipse level shit right there... is the sun bleeding???

I have stayed away from the Souls games since getting stuck half way through DS1... but hot DAMN this looks interesting!

Pif

Banned
This feels like a bloodborne expansion to me.

Can't unsee the engine and some similar assets being re-used here.

And I'm gonna be all over it.

Ferr986

It's an updated engine. Also, there are more issues in the visual department than the resolution of textures.

-

Still hope this place looks like it did in the leak:
0x600.jpg

tbh I'm not sure if that will be a playable area (atleast lke in this pic). I can't even see where is the path the player should follow.

Gbraga

What the bloody fucking hell... If this is real I am both amazed and regretful that I've seen it... that's some Berserk Eclipse level shit right there... is the sun bleeding???

I have stayed away from the Souls games since getting stuck half way through DS1... but hot DAMN this looks interesting!

Heh, you're in for a treat if Berserk level shit gets you hyped. You should give DS1 another shot before playing this one.

Fhtagn

Please don't have frame pacing issues

Network test did. Sucks but I think at this point it must be a very low level mistake in the engine and very hard to fix without months of QA.

If Dark 3 had come out first everyone's be saying Bloodborne looks like Dark 3. It's the same engine but they play very differently. Network test felt mainly like Dark Souls to me, blended with aspects of the other four games, and new Dark 3 only features.

Arttemis

Guys and gals, I'm having a very hard time deciding if I want a physical copy or a digital one.

I've anyways been a staunch physical advocate and collector, but I've quickly started shifting to digital this year - maybe because I'm downsizing most of my possessions after moving 5 times in 8 years, or because I really want to be able to Remote Play my favorite games. At first, it was multiplayer focused and party games that I'd prefer digitally, then open world focused, but then, some PSN sales led me to grabbing a handful of single player games, and I have a mixed digital library that's five times the size of my physical collection of 7.

This game is one for which I absolutely want a physical copy to go along side Bloodborne and DS2, but I'm highly considering eventually double dipping on those so I can have my cas physical case and Remote Play, too.

Looks great. The armor and character designs look pretty Demon's Souls-esque. I like how melancholy this area looks, but hopefully there will be some environments that have a bit more color.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Miyazaki didn't direct DS2. It was a seperate team with only a few returners from DeS and DS IIRC.

Yeah, I know that. Look at my sig/avatar combo. If I'm ever guilty of being a fanboy of something, it's the souls games. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people pretend Demon's doesn't exist, and I thought that's what you were trying to say when I first read that post. Looking back at your post, it seems I misread it. My bad.

Copper

All these bloodborne comparisons are starting to annoy me. This game as been in development before bloodborne. Yes they use the same engine so some things are going to look similar. But for those expecting a 1:1 bloodborne 2 with armors and shields this is not it. This is a dark souls game which means tons of weapons/ armors, crazy build variety and diverse play styles.

All these bloodborne comparisons are starting to annoy me. This game as been in development before bloodborne. Yes they use the same engine so some things are going to look similar. But for those expecting a 1:1 bloodborne 2 with armors and shields this is not it. This is a dark souls game which means tons of weapons/ armors, crazy build variety and diverse play styles.

Well, the comparisons with BB are largely visual, so...

Gbraga

759.gif

Please
unhollow me
wake me up when the game releases.

The wait will be hard, but with SF V, Dragon's Dogma PC and of course all the Souls games, I won't be suffering too much until then.

I still have a lot of different stuff I want to do in Bloodborne, so it's great that it's not coming out right now, haha. It'll consume my life for a few months when it does, and everything else will be set aside for a while.

Fucking incredible. The art direction in these games never cease to amaze me, there is simply no one else who does anything quite like it.

I don't get the people who are uncomfortable about Dark Souls and Bloodborne cross contamination. Seriously, what? Two branches of the same tree.

EDIT:
Bloodborne does have its own aesthetic and is unique in its own right, but a great deal of the the stuff you see outside Yharnum didn't look much different from what you'd see in the other Souls games. There are still plenty of stuff about it that looks like Dark Souls. These screens look just as much like Boletaria or Lordran as anything in Bloodborne.

Gbraga

I see where you're coming from, but it's not in development before Bloodborne at all. They started Bloodborne right after Artorias of the Abyss. Dark Souls III started production befor Dark II came out, but not before Dark II started production, so it's impossible for it to be in development before Bloodborne was.

Copper

I see where you're coming from, but it's not in development before Bloodborne at all. They started Bloodborne right after Artorias of the Abyss. Dark Souls III started production befor Dark II came out, but not before Dark II started production, so it's impossible for it to be in development before Bloodborne was.

That's what I meant, they were still being developed at the same time at some point.

I guess what I'm saying is even though they may "look" similar they are still going to "play" differently and that is what I think matters to most people.

Man I'm going to miss these weapon transformations in Dark Souls 3.

SpiffyCheeryDobermanpinscher.gif

Anyway, if DS3 is anywhere near half as good as BB we're in for a treat. Especially with all the more expanded RPG elements.

Top Bottom