• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stinkles, how is the game on Legendary with 4 real people playing in co-op? Is there just a ton more enemies and the difficulty just like it is in single player legendary? Just curious if 4 player co-op Legendary will be a real challenge.

Difficulty is the same but depends on team style. If you properly coordinate it will be easier but the reality is that most people have a little Leroy Jenkins every level. Your AI buddies are literally selfless, moderated by a bit of intelligence.

Bsigg12

But aren't you kinda excited to hear what MARTY can do with something totally new? You're going to get that. Also my phone auto capitalizes MARTY.

I am! As much as I've enjoyed his takes on Halo and Destiny, I want to see what he does with something not scifi (hopefully).

Hawk269

Difficulty is the same but depends on team style. If you properly coordinate it will be easier but the reality is that most people have a little Leroy Jenkins every level. Your AI buddies are literally selfless, moderated by a bit of intelligence.

Thanks. I am not a "great" player and found Legendary to be a bit too much for me in SP in past Halo games, but a few friends want to co-op legendary, so for us it seems like it will still be good challenge!!!

Madness

Man, it seems the EBGames where I pre-ordered my copy isn't even doing a midnight launch now. Wtf is this. So sick of retailer/pre-order bonuses as well. Probably going to have to wait till early morning 27th, grab my copy and then come back, install game for hours, download the patch. First Halo game I won't play at midnight since Halo 2.

Hope you enjoy Fall of Reach soundtrack.

enNtFNI.jpg

Vire

Man, it seems the EBGames where I pre-ordered my copy isn't even doing a midnight launch now. Wtf is this. So sick of retailer/pre-order bonuses as well. Probably going to have to wait till early morning 27th, grab my copy and then come back, install game for hours, download the patch. First Halo game I won't play at midnight since Halo 2.

Cancel that shit and get a digital copy.

Madness

Cancel that shit and get a digital copy.

Already paid it fully back in August. I'm part of the problem. Just sucks. I was expecting the guy there to initially break street date and give me the game a few days back, and now I don't even get it at midnight. Should've gone digital from the start of this gen.

I'll probably end up taking some sleeping pills to pass out early tomorrow night so I don't stay up disappointed and watching streams instead of playing.

Already paid it fully back in August. I'm part of the problem. Just sucks. I was expecting the guy there to initially break street date and give me the game a few days back, and now I don't even get it at midnight. Should've gone digital from the start of this gen.

I'll probably end up taking some sleeping pills to pass out early tomorrow night so I don't stay up disappointed and watching streams instead of playing.

Cancel the order, use the money on Xbox Store cards, redeem them and get it digitally.

I've done this a few times.

EvB

Maybe a 343 employee? He's had the game since the 29th of September and since he was able to play online for the Warzone matches, it would almost have to be right?

Lots of MS employees gained access to all manner of new fun stuff on the 29th, so maybe not even 343

Madness

Cancel the order, use the money on Xbox Store cards, redeem them and get it digitally.

I've done this a few times.

I really wanted the physical game and this just seems like a hassle now. Fuck. I even called asking if I could transfer my pre-order to one of the handful of locations doing a midnight launch in another city (I'd have driven that far), but they said it's store relative.

I'd never give this piece of shit company another dime, but then devs purposely also give them the best pre-order bonuses and whatnot. Just crazy that MCC even got a midnight launch here, but not Halo 5.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Hope you enjoy Fall of Reach soundtrack.

Man Frank, no offense but what the fuck is the reason to release Fall of Reach at the same time as the game release. WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO?

We all would have been watching that if it was released even few days ago and also gives background of Blue Team to people who don't know. It just makes sense.

jesu

Maybe a 343 employee? He's had the game since the 29th of September and since he was able to play online for the Warzone matches, it would almost have to be right?

He's dedicated whoever he is, almost every game is 100% with him.
1 achievement away from 100 percenting The MCC, that must hurt!

Without saying much, can anyone who's played the game tell me if the Arbiter has a substantial role in 5? Just finished 3 with my brother and I love that fucking guy so much. I want to see their bromance continue on.

Ein Bear

Without saying much, can anyone who's played the game tell me if the Arbiter has a substantial role in 5? Just finished 3 with my brother and I love that fucking guy so much. I want to see their bromance continue on.

I hope he gets some serious screen time with the Chief. All the pre-release footage seems to be showing him on Osiris' side of things, when he should be reunited with his bro.

...Honestly, I'm still a bit salty that they decided to have two playable protagonists and didn't make the Arbiter the other character again.

I hope he gets some serious screen time with the Chief. All the pre-release footage seems to be showing him on Osiris' side of things, when he should be reunited with his bro.

...Honestly, I'm still a bit salty that they decided to have two playable protagonists and didn't make the Arbiter the other character again.

Completely agree with everything you just said.

Man Frank, no offense but what the fuck is the reason to release Fall of Reach at the same time as the game release. WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO?

We all would have been watching that if it was released even few days ago and also gives background of Blue Team to people who don't know. It just makes sense.

It's pretty goofy. At least the first episode will be on the stream before the game launches. I'm actually thinking of watching it all before I play the game tomorrow night. It'll be hard but I want the background (without reading the book) on the characters.

RAIDEN1

As others have said what was the point in holding the release of the animated film or series to co-incide with the release of the game? I'l be watching that first before I start the main game proper..

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really wanted the physical game and this just seems like a hassle now. Fuck. I even called asking if I could transfer my pre-order to one of the handful of locations doing a midnight launch in another city (I'd have driven that far), but they said it's store relative.

I'd never give this piece of shit company another dime, but then devs purposely also give them the best pre-order bonuses and whatnot. Just crazy that MCC even got a midnight launch here, but not Halo 5.

Did you talk to the store manager? Try talking to the store manager at another store. Maybe they'll have extras come in. IMO they would need it in their system and reserves are probably already in the system. I'd personally do that or go digital.

I worked GTAIV and H3's launches at GS and it was kinda a mess, but they for sure have extra copies. We even had our district manager drive in more copies of GTAIV.

They can do anything if they have a copy of what you want.

Go to Walmart, they had Reach at midnight. They typically don't sell out anymore, but I've been digital for a few years.

You can cancel a reserve after it comes out too.

Vire

Kinda sad that Halo is no longer a part of the zeightgeist hype machine like Halo 3 was.

I mean Halo 3 had Burger King promotions, Mountain Dew Game Fuel, midnight launches in every store imaginable, Iris ARG and of course the Believe campaign.

Everything this time around just feels a bit more muted.

Kalentan

Damn. Amazon is awesome. I forgot to change my shipping/credit card on Amazon from my parents to mine (since I ordered the LE a while ago just to ensure I got a copy) and when I changed it to my college address and my credit card, It told me it wouldn't be here to the 29th... So I asked Amazon if there is anything I could do and they gave me a free 1 day shipping and now it will be here on the 27th on time. :D

I couldn't imagine waiting 2 more days...

Maybe stinkles can comment on this, you've been with the series for a loooong time.

My absolute favorite thing about Halo CE is the way grenades that enemies drop are set off by other grenades and explosions.

The level design in the covenant ship levels with the flood take advantage of this by using these tight hallways and corridors to create these insane chain reactions with bodies and weapons and flood parts flying everywhere in chaotic fashion.

I always though it was a great concept and I really don't know why they took it away in the other games. Even if it was for a limited area or only certain types of grenades that had this effect it would make a fun gameplay scenario.

Glass

Kinda sad that Halo is no longer a part of the zeightgeist hype machine like Halo 3 was.

I mean Halo 3 had Burger King promotions, Mountain Dew Game Fuel, midnight launches in every store imaginable, Iris ARG and of course the Believe campaign.

I think a huge part of that is where the Xbox One is compared to the 360 at the time. As for the game itself and differences, the marketing for Halo 3 practically sold itself, it was you finishing the fight, the last in the trilogy. Fast forward 8 years, trying to sell a game 15 years into a series will always be a harder sell, but I think theyve done a great job of making this story seem essential by tapping into gamers love for the series and Chief by branding him a traitor and starting this head to head spartan battle in the advertising. A case of rather then going bigger, going more personal etc

And the whole digital game era is going to take a lot away from any games' physical launch presence. I hope the Halo Live event is awesome and has a 2007 era feel to a launch hype. Lucky for me almost Game store in the UK is doing a midnight launch which was a pleasant surprise.

RoKKeR

It's the nature of the beast these days. There is just so much more out there in the industry for people to turn their attention to. Even Call of Duty, while still an *event* I feel is waining in terms of "zeightgeist" hype and marketing campaigns. (nothing will ever reach MW2 levels of hype again, IMO) Also have to consider things like a smaller XBO install base, more and more people making pre-loading a "midnight launch" in their own homes, that sort of thing.

That being said, given the XBO's install base and the franchise's recent missteps, the anticipation for the game within the gaming community seems to be pretty high.

Lingitiz

At the time there was little else that sold as much outside of GTA. But now with COD on top it's a different story. It was such a foreign thing for a game to outsell movies 8 years ago.

I still think this is the most hyped and biggest exclusive of the generation. Nothing really compares that's been released so far.

Halo has to work it's way back to being considered one of the top franchise after the last two games.

Vire

It's the nature of the beast these days. There is just so much more out there in the industry for people to turn their attention to. Even Call of Duty, while still an *event* I feel is waining in terms of "zeightgeist" hype and marketing campaigns. (nothing will ever reach MW2 levels of hype again, IMO) Also have to consider things like a smaller XBO install base, more and more people making pre-loading a "midnight launch" in their own homes, that sort of thing.

That being said, given the XBO's install base and the franchise's recent missteps, the anticipation for the game within the gaming community seems to be pretty high.
Yeah, I think you are right. I haven't really seen total insanity for any game this whole generation like we saw last go around. I guess part of that is the advent of digital game sales like you said. But I mean... I remember they were writing articles in The New Yorker and Wired and my mum was telling me about it for Halo 3. I mean, when my mah knows about the new Halo that is coming out, you have done your fucking job.

RoKKeR

Yeah, I think you are right. I haven't really seen total insanity for any game this whole generation like we saw last go around. I guess part of that is the advent of digital game sales like you said. But I mean... I remember they were writing articles in The New Yorker and Wired and my mum was telling me about it for Halo 3. I mean, when my mah knows about the new Halo that is coming out, you have done your fucking job.

Yeah, the amount of people that the marketing and hype for Halo 3 reached was pretty fucking insane. I remember our school dean during a weekly assembly on the day it released saying something to the effect of "Halo 3 is out today" to the cheers of every middle/high school boy in the room.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

That level of hype is well received. To me, Twitch and streams don't cut it. You can't force the medium's hype levels by other streamers playing the game.

Look at how bad FPS sunk into the generic "you know who" is gonna be playing this. Little Timmy is now the spokesperson or the role model of FPS. Your 16 year old who built his PC in 2015 versus the guy waiting for another copy of a hot game.

It sucks and I feel your pain. MW2's hype beat those matchmaking lobby days where the people laughing or making stupid comments on the mic took up all the enjoyment.

Walmart even had CoD commercials. I only hear about someone playing with their kids now. It sucks. It isn't time to just give gaming up to another generation because it sold out.

I personally feel there's too many people shutting down the hype machine for video game launches. Fallout, Tomb Raider, Halo 5, etc.. all big name games. All real anticipated for, but I'm surrounded by people who want to play their generic Steam game or nothing at all.

I'm not stupid nor am I being deceived. I've been gaming since I was a kid and I've felt the fads, the great games, slow times, and the hype. I still get excited for video games, but I feel like I needed a community to feel its hype. I know a group of guys I could go play PC games with, but it really sucks because they don't really play video games because they're coming out with a game like Halo. It sucks. The media has sucked too.

Who knows where it's going. To me, after MW and post 9/11 stuff ended.. people got into it, they got out, they stereotyped it, and now gaming is probably in their past. A large part of that to me is that people think they can narrow it all down or they can't get into the hype.

I probably dealt with this with Halo 2. Tons of people playing the game and then everyone decided to move on or in their words "grow up". It's stupid that it's like that, but what can you do? Where's the big Halo press? People acted like last gen was the alpha and omega and no one wants to see what these guys have improved upon.

--Same thing could be said about lots of other games. I love Japanese made games, but you think it doesn't stop someone from taking their Twitch gaming experience or some F2P game and making it stand out over classics? It feels like we're living in bad times when great games are on their way.

You'd think we're in some sorta health reform.

Trup1aya

Definately not Halo3 levels of hype, but the industry has changed a lot since then...

More people are buying digital, and advertising is done differently... Social media has undoubtedly a more cost effective form of promotion than any Burger King deal, and MS has been all over that.

From here on out, I bet it'll only be big multiplats that can justify those kinds of marketing campaigns...

I went to the store today and no branded Mountain Dew. No branded Doritos. Well there was a few COD Mountain Dews but it was demure. Master Chief couldn't save
anyone
on The Walking Dead. But plenty of Hulu ads and front page of the Best Buy ad at least. It's still huge damnit! I'm predicting 6-7 million.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Definately not Halo3 levels of hype, but the industry has changed a lot since then...

More people are buying digital, and advertising is done differently... Social media has undoubtedly a more cost effective form of promotion than any Burger King deal, and MS has been all over that.

From here on out, I bet it'll only be big multiplats that can justify those kinds of marketing campaigns...

We don't have Burger King Xbox 360 games either. We aren't seeing the hottest video game console because that was last gen. We're seeing Taco Bell give their employees PS4's every other month. I definitely agree with you about social media. Who is going to get a badass Halo 5 Guardians tattoo when 55 Twitter accounts make a hashtag for it and you aren't around to see it.

IF anything, marketing is going to be under your nose now. It's going to exist as long as you're following 343 on Facebook or Twitter. Is that a bad thing though? I kinda like having it mixed in with what I'm exposed to. It's somewhat annoying at times, but hey at least it isn't like a 100% pure form coming at you all the time. I like it in small social dosages, but more so than it is now. Now you just gotta stay connected to the juice. I personally think being hardcore doesn't mean you gotta be right up there with them, but that's from being exposed to last gen's marketing too.

Trup1aya

We don't have Burger King Xbox 360 games either. We aren't seeing the hottest video game console because that was last gen. We're seeing Taco Bell give their employees PS4's every other month. I definitely agree with you about social media. Who is going to get a badass Halo 5 Guardians tattoo when 55 Twitter accounts make a hashtag for it and you aren't around to see it.

IF anything, marketing is going to be under your nose now. It's going to exist as long as you're following 343 on Facebook or Twitter. Is that a bad thing though? I kinda like having it mixed in with what I'm exposed to. It's somewhat annoying at times, but hey at least it isn't like a 100% pure form coming at you all the time. I like it in small social dosages, but more so than it is now. Now you just gotta stay connected to the juice.

marketing isn't a thing of the past. But the way marketing dollars are spent is different...

For halo, there are still prime time TV ads , and theatre ads, but fewer high profile cross promotions..

I don't follow 343i or MS on Facebook, but I see ads pop up on my news feed all the time because some 'friend' of mine clicked the like button.

Huntthetruth did pretty big numbers on iTunes of I'm not mistaken

I don't use twitch often, but I do know that this weekend folks usually stream PC games were streaming Halo5 MP, with thousands of viewers.

The point is, the times have changed. So have marketing tactics...

Top Bottom