• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Madness

Makes me so mad when they carefully blur out everything else and make a rookie mistake like that. Nitwits.

Double post. Why did you reply to this. Damn. I thought it was something about Halo Escalation you didn't blur and I missed from reading it and was curious and instead just got it leaked. I honestly hope that spoiler isn't true. Now I'm bummed.

Glass

I'm so confused, no way showing the script wasn't intentional right? It's more smoke and mirrors like the Oni adverts. Right??

Random17

That doesn't have to mean anything.

Well, you say that, but then I look at the things happening in Halo Escalation and wonder if they are ever going to explain it the actual game. Even small things like Blue Team's reunion or big things like where Dr. Halsey actually is and why.

It's going to be interesting how 343i will handle this stuff. I hope they nail it.

I doubt they will; the Halo games never take the time to explain what happened in the intermission. Halo 2, 3 and 4 were left unexplained and it definitely led to some confusion if you hadn't kept up with the EU and cared about the details.

e.g. How did Chief get back to Earth, how is Johnson alive, how did Miranda, Johnson and the Arbiter get back before Chief etc. All explained but definitely not in the games.

The important thing is that the in gane story is self sufficient and the characters' motivations are fully fleshed out. That's the primary difference between 2/3 and 4.

I thing the most important thing is for people to have played Spartan Ops season 1 or at least seen the cutscenes. Quite a bit of detail on the Covenant remnant, the Prometheans and Halsey.

I'm so confused, no way showing the script wasn't intentional right? It's more smoke and mirrors like the Oni adverts. Right??
More likely than not. There was a theory it was the
opening cutscene too.

Makes me so mad when they carefully blur out everything else and make a rookie mistake like that. Nitwits.

It's a trick. Get an axe.

its-a-trick-get-an-axe_clink_large.jpg

Madness

I doubt the rabbit hole goes that deep where it's some elaborate ONI style viral marketing move. I honestly now think it was leaked. And so in honor of being spoiled here's a gif of how I feel. It's missing the 'fuck this place'...

B4QaFEq.gif

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Remember, they released a video for Halo 4 that showed the script for the finale with Chief and Cortana facing Didact, the cutscene for the game's end.

At that point they hadn't even acknowledged Didact was even in the game officially.

Forget Barns, 343's biggest leaker is itself sometimes.

I doubt the rabbit hole goes that deep where it's some elaborate ONI style viral marketing move. I honestly now think it was leaked. And so in honor of being spoiled here's a gif of how I feel. It's missing the 'fuck this place'...

B4QaFEq.gif

So you think 343 would leak the ending 2 times in a row?

I believe it's just a diversion by ONI.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm in Taiwan and this time the LE is really limited here. The biggest vendor here ran out of stock in 24 hours, and MS told me they have no plan to import more of it. Lucky for me to find one.

Taipei is one of my favorite cities. Also weird Stinkles fact - my great uncle by marriage was CK Yen. The more you know.

Jinaar

So I JUST started playing HALO 4 multiplayer tonight for the first time. Wow.... so much fun. Now I'm getting 10x more pumped for Warzone at the end of the month. Goodness this is so good. Thanks 343!

So am I screwed if I want the $99 LE but haven't pre-ordered yet?

Wasn't sure I'd have the money for it in time is why I didn't, but it looks like I will.

Best Buy MIGHT have it if you're in the US.

Great. Guess I'll just have to try my luck with Walmart at midnight. No biggie if I have to just get the regular edition, but I'm slightly optimistic since the place I plan to check did get that Destiny limited edition in last year (to my surprise).

The hype level for this game is getting to the point where I can't handle it anymore. Story wise it looks like they are hitting all the right notes and I'm eager to dive in.

Just finished by run through Halo 1 - 4, and I have to say that Halo 4 does so much right from a presentation standpoint, some story obfuscation aside. Prometheans are still a bit too bullet spongey, but there are also some brilliant moments in the game. For example, near the 2 hunters close to the end of shutdown there is a whole pile of covenant ordinance (bombs). I'd never noticed it before and had always dealt with the hunters in a traditional way, but in this last play through I was in a tight spot with ammo, and was desperately dodging an extremely aggressive hunter when I finally noticed the contents of the pile and used my last remaining railgun shot to light the whole thing sending the hunter careening over my head as I literally whooped out loud. Another example is that in Composer, one of the rooms has several airlocks that enemies will board through to join the fray. None of the times I had played before had I noticed that the airlock doors have a button that turns green shortly before the enemies enter the room. While the button is green, you can hit it to send the enemies waiting in the airlock out the other end into vacuum. Was quite fun to watch an Elite pull his sword at the door as I approached only to get sucked into space.

Just finished by run through Halo 1 - 4, and I have to say that Halo 4 does so much right from a presentation standpoint, some story obfuscation aside. Prometheans are still a bit too bullet spongey, but there are also some brilliant moments in the game. For example, near the 2 hunters close to the end of shutdown there is a whole pile of covenant ordinance (bombs). I'd never noticed it before and had always dealt with the hunters in a traditional way, but in this last play through I was in a tight spot with ammo, and was desperately dodging an extremely aggressive hunter when I finally noticed the contents of the pile and used my last remaining railgun shot to light the whole thing sending the hunter careening over my head as I literally whooped out loud. Another example is that in Composer, one of the rooms has several airlocks that enemies will board through to join the fray. None of the times I had played before had I noticed that the airlock doors have a button that turns green shortly before the enemies enter the room. While the button is green, you can hit it to send the enemies waiting in the airlock out the other end into vacuum. Was quite fun to watch an Elite pull his sword at the door as I approached only to get sucked into space.
343i's desginer hid a lot of weapon caches in the mission. If you are at a tight spot, take a look around. Yes. The weapon despawning was bad, but they did make up with the tons of weapon caches.

I did not know that with the airlock. Nice. I am going to play Halo 4 before Halo 5 anyway. Thanks for spotting that.

ShamePain

Banned
How long was the development cycle for Halo 4? Reach launched in September 2010, so was 343 formed before or after Bungie was done with the franchise?

UKUMI0

How long was the development cycle for Halo 4? Reach launched in September 2010, so was 343 formed before or after Bungie was done with the franchise?

Before, it was 343i that commissioned Eric Nyland to write Halsey's journal that tied up some inconsistences between Halo: Reach and The Fall of Reach.

343i was founded in 2009, if that gives you any idea.

ShamePain

Banned
Before, it was 343i that commissioned Eric Nyland to write Halsey's journal that tied up some inconsistences between Halo: Reach and The Fall of Reach.

343i was founded in 2009, if that gives you any idea.

So what about actual development on Halo 4?

UKUMI0

So what about actual development on Halo 4?

Well apparently they started work on Halo 4 as soon as they were formed, while smaller teams worked on stuff like Halo Waypoint and Halo: Reach.

So 3 years basically. Halo 5 was in development before Halo 4 had wrapped, so its had at least 3 years, possibly 3 and a half, and Halo 6 is also already in development.

Based on this, I think we can expect a new Halo title every 3 years, but so far, there has been a Halo every year since 2009, and since we have Halo Wars 2 for 2016, one can only imagine what we have in store for 2017 (possibly another Halo: Spartan title).

That sounds awesome, so glad I started my 1-4 run last night, will try and remember this when I reach 4.

was waiting for him to hit start. son of a bitch never did. Just wanted to see how Campaign and MP laid out in the menu. It is going to be Campaign, Warzone and Arena or Campaign and Multiplayer

There are a lot of preview videos out that showed the entire menu with campaign etc

CryptiK

Replaying the whole series From 1 - 4 with MCC in the lead up to Halo5. And I gotta say Halo 1 campaign has either not aged well or was always garbage. So much backtracking and reuse of maps it was yuck and I totally forgot how horrid the Maw was. I finished it around the time it came out on Co-op thought it was fine back then.

Zeta Oni

Replaying the whole series From 1 - 4 with MCC in the lead up to Halo5. And I gotta say Halo 1 campaign has either not aged well or was always garbage. So much backtracking and reuse of maps it was yuck and I totally forgot how horrid the Maw was. I finished it around the time it came out on Co-op thought it was fine back then.

Halo CE feels a little outdated gameplay wise for sure, but the feeling of things like driving around the silent cartographer is certainly still there, as CE is still the only Halo game to have anything like that. The latter half of the campaign is alot of recycled environments indeed, but you calling it garbage is a bit hyperbole.

Think it might be a case of not recognizing the impact that game had at the time, like people who talk bad about Aliens, saying it's sucks due to all the tropes it uses, when Aliens was the movie that invented said tropes in the first place.

Well apparently they started work on Halo 4 as soon as they were formed, while smaller teams worked on stuff like Halo Waypoint and Halo: Reach.

So 3 years basically. Halo 5 was in development before Halo 4 had wrapped, so its had at least 3 years, possibly 3 and a half, and Halo 6 is also already in development.

Based on this, I think we can expect a new Halo title every 3 years, but so far, there has been a Halo every year since 2009, and since we have Halo Wars 2 for 2016, one can only imagine what we have in store for 2017 (possibly another Halo: Spartan title).

Halo 3 annv. would be amazing..

CryptiK

Halo CE feels a little outdated gameplay wise for sure, but the feeling of things like driving around the silent cartographer is certainly still there, as CE is still the only Halo game to have anything like that. The latter half of the campaign is alot of recycled environments indeed, but you calling it garbage is a bit hyperbole.

Think it might be a case of not recognizing the impact that game had at the time, like people who talk bad about Aliens, saying it's sucks due to all the tropes it uses, when Aliens was the movie that invented said tropes in the first place.
No it isn't that was my opinion of the game. The amount of backtracking in it was hilariously stupid. Just started Halo 2 lets hope its better because I haven't played Halo 2 campaign. Its not the tropes it the design. MP was fun as fuck though.

Top Bottom