• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Ein Bear

Halo 3 annv. would be amazing..

I'm not sure how interested I'd be in Halo 3 Anniversary now we already have a gorgeous 1080p/60fps version on the Xbone.

It'd be cool, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as big an upgrade, and I have no idea how they'd sell it when Halo 2 Anniversary came along with all the MCC content.

That being said, Stinkles if you're reading this and do make Halo 3 Anniversary one day... This is totally your chance to re-dub the Prophet of Truth with Michael Wincott. I was never happy with that little... exchange of hats.

A Halo 3 anniversary could be cool if they scrap that engine switch. They already had to reduce resolution etc for Halo 2 A.

But BLUR Cutscenes for Halo 3? That would be something :O

I think Blurs cutscenes for H2A looked pretty cheap, not very realistic and too much like a comic. Also John armor looked really bad. And they had some mistakes, like the arbitor having the branding before getting branded

Trup1aya

I doubt the rabbit hole goes that deep where it's some elaborate ONI style viral marketing move. I honestly now think it was leaked. And so in honor of being spoiled here's a gif of how I feel. It's missing the 'fuck this place'...

B4QaFEq.gif

Lol why would stinkles come here and 'confirm' it if it were actually true?

Edit: it would be pretty funny if the full episode of the sprint had those lines blurred out... As if they "fixed" the mistake...

I think Blurs cutscenes for H2A looked pretty cheap, not very realistic and too much like a comic. Also John armor looked really bad. And they had some mistakes, like the arbitor having the branding before getting branded

Dont know whats cheap in your book, but the BLUR cutscenes dont belong to that.

The original H2/H3 cutscenes are "cheap". Especially the hand made animations.

Random17

Just saw the ad in the Cowboys Broncos game... MS have unlimited money. Was not expecting it in NRL.

Also holy shit best game and day to be a Cowboys supporter ever.

Welfare

Just saw the ad in the Cowboys Broncos game... MS have unlimited money. Was not expecting it in NRL.

When it comes to Halo, MS will dig into that war chest.

I need this game, the wait is getting hard now. Last time I wanted a Halo game this bad was Reach.

Random17

Ben Hunt killed me :( great game.
They should move him from on report to suicide watch. I feel bad for him.

BTW the first trailer isn't really effective in any slightly noisy place. MS should try for more visually stimulating ads like Starry Night.

I can't believe NRL showed me that haha.

jelly

Just finished by run through Halo 1 - 4, and I have to say that Halo 4 does so much right from a presentation standpoint, some story obfuscation aside. Prometheans are still a bit too bullet spongey, but there are also some brilliant moments in the game. For example, near the 2 hunters close to the end of shutdown there is a whole pile of covenant ordinance (bombs). I'd never noticed it before and had always dealt with the hunters in a traditional way, but in this last play through I was in a tight spot with ammo, and was desperately dodging an extremely aggressive hunter when I finally noticed the contents of the pile and used my last remaining railgun shot to light the whole thing sending the hunter careening over my head as I literally whooped out loud. Another example is that in Composer, one of the rooms has several airlocks that enemies will board through to join the fray. None of the times I had played before had I noticed that the airlock doors have a button that turns green shortly before the enemies enter the room. While the button is green, you can hit it to send the enemies waiting in the airlock out the other end into vacuum. Was quite fun to watch an Elite pull his sword at the door as I approached only to get sucked into space.

That's cool. Didn't know that.

I prefer real time engine cutscenes. Blur stuff was nice but it's too chalk and cheese.

If Microsoft ever decide to do Halo 3 Anniversary, I think reworked engine cutscenes all the way and definitely scrap the engine switch. MCC is a nice collection but they could do so much better with all the games. No engine switch in Halo CEA, maybe a classic option at the menu and Anniversary makeover needs redone with similar original art. Too soon obviously but much more room for improvement in a Halo Collection if they go the extra mile and perfect things.

I'm officially in complete Halo obsession mode. Grabbed my digital preorder this morning. I was always going to preorder, but I didn't want to stare at the icon for too long. I'm a few chapters into New Blood (Not a fan of the writing), but I missed reading the books. And I'm blowing through the campaigns and brushing up on MP. It's a Halo kind of month.

Not to mention watching the Arena and Warzone videos over and over.

I'm officially in complete Halo obsession mode. Grabbed my digital preorder this morning. I was always going to preorder, but I didn't want to stare at the icon for too long. I'm a few chapters into New Blood (Not a fan of the writing), but I missed reading the books. And I'm blowing through the campaigns and brushing up on MP. It's a Halo kind of month.

Not to mention watching the Arena and Warzone videos over and over.

You, sir, are in an advanced stage of the halo disease. It affect us all differently.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm not sure how interested I'd be in Halo 3 Anniversary now we already have a gorgeous 1080p/60fps version on the Xbone.

It'd be cool, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as big an upgrade, and I have no idea how they'd sell it when Halo 2 Anniversary came along with all the MCC content.

I dunno.

I played the MCC front to back about 2 months ago, and honestly I thought Halo 3 was a pretty jarring come down from Halo 2A. You're right in that 60/1080 was still a nice upgrade for Halo 3, but I thought 2A was absolutely gorgeous - easily my favourite time with the collection - and I think Halo 3 looks rough going into it immediately after 2A.

Not sure I'd be lining up to pay full price for it but.. I think Halo 3A would still be something pretty cool to have.

That Halo 5 HUD during the wrestling match...

bCkZO3A.jpg

I feel like 343 should have just made Halo 2 Anniversary instead of MCC. They bit off more than they could chew and the resources used to make H2A into MCC could have instead been spent on remastering tons more maps for the H2A multiplayer. This would have also made Halo 3 Anniversary a possibility in the future since they wouldn't have already half-remastered it beforehand.

Back on the topic of Halo 5...

Don't forget you can unlock 4 different armor sets in Halo 5 by getting certain achievements in MCC.

• Mark VI: Complete a campaign mission or multiplayer match in MCC.
  • Mark VI Scarred: Complete the "Cairo Station" mission in Halo 2 within MCC.
  • Nightfall: Watch all 5 episodes of Nightfall on The Halo Channel via MCC.
  • Helioskrill: Complete all 4 Halo campaigns on Legendary difficulty.

If you guys see people running around with those armors come launch, that's how they got them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

bCkZO3A.jpg

I feel like 343 should have just made Halo 2 Anniversary instead of MCC. They bit off more than they could chew and the resources used to make H2A into MCC could have instead been spent on remastering tons more maps for the H2A multiplayer. This would have also made Halo 3 Anniversary a possibility in the future since they wouldn't have already half-remastered it beforehand.

Don't forget you can unlock 4 different armor sets in Halo 5 by getting certain achievements in MCC.

If you guys see people running around with those armors come launch, that's how they got them.

Helioskrill so far looks like the best looking armor, so I'm happy so that.

Replaying the whole series From 1 - 4 with MCC in the lead up to Halo5. And I gotta say Halo 1 campaign has either not aged well or was always garbage. So much backtracking and reuse of maps it was yuck and I totally forgot how horrid the Maw was. I finished it around the time it came out on Co-op thought it was fine back then.

Was a major complaint when the game released as well. (The backtracking and lack of variety)

m23

Watching a lot of the gameplay, doesn't seem like people use the slide ability. I think I've seen it once or twice.

Sai

There's an opening in the middle of the map Fathom that looks like it was made for folks to slip through via Sliding.

Only used it a couple of times during the beta, and that was only when I was getting a feel for the Spartans Abilities.

bCkZO3A.jpg

343 didn't work on H2A or MCC in any real sense. Everything was done by external companies like Saber.

Ein Bear

Incidentally, I'm really glad that they've got the Elites and Grunts talking again. The noises they made in Halo 4 were just... wrong.

I knew about the Nightfall one but not the others, thanks for the info.

spootime

This seems to be the general halo thread for now.

I just finished up Halo: Last Light. I definitely liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I came in with pretty low expectations because of the terribleness of Kilo 5, and my dislike for New Blood. But it turned out to be a pretty good read. Not amazing by any means but its definitely a page turner. I definitely liked Dennings portrayal of the spartan 3's and Fred

There seems to be a lot of variance in how the Spartan 3's are portrayed in terms of size. Lucy is apparently the size of a small normal female. Any idea whats up with the differences? I thought that S3's were supposed to be pretty similar to s2's in terms of size (maybe not quite as big but still up there..)

Ein Bear

Last Light started a bit slow, but definitely picked up after the first few chapters. It's a good read, and it's nice to have Blue Team back doing cool stuff.

Since we're talking about the novels, I feel compelled to re-state how strongly I disliked New Blood. I really hope Halo 5 doesn't reference it at all, since I've banished it to non-canon status in my head and don't want to have to face the reality of what happened to the Halo 3: ODST gang.

Last Light started a bit slow, but definitely picked up after the first few chapters. It's a good read, and it's nice to have Blue Team back doing cool stuff.

Since we're talking about the novels, I feel compelled to re-state how strongly I disliked New Blood. I really hope Halo 5 doesn't reference it at all, since I've banished it to non-canon status in my head and don't want to have to face the reality of what happened to the Halo 3: ODST gang.

Buck is a Spartan IV with Fireteam Osiris and not chillin with his ODST buddies anymore. So indirectly the game does reference New Blood. 😀

Since we're talking about the novels, I feel compelled to re-state how strongly I disliked New Blood. I really hope Halo 5 doesn't reference it at all, since I've banished it to non-canon status in my head and don't want to have to face the reality of what happened to the Halo 3: ODST gang

I was hoping New Blood would be a good read before Halo 5 but the writing is pretty terrible. Maybe I'll plow through it and start Last Light.

ryan299

I enjoyed the book a lot, but Linda and kelly aren't in it enough.

spootime

I was hoping New Blood would be a good read before Halo 5 but the writing is pretty terrible. Maybe I'll plow through it and start Last Light.

Yeah my issue with New Blood wasn't really even the plot (although it wasn't great) but the dialogue and writing quality in general is pretty horrendous.

Top Bottom