• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Glass

So much of what is going to make those legendary weapons exciting is how rare and special they are. I think it's really important to keep that sense of specialness, that 'holy shit' moment when you open one, which having them only in Warzone will do.

Trup1aya

IDK MAN.
Just really liked having Melee on my RThumbStick. Changed it to that back in the halo 2 days.

If you have a better layout i should give a try, please let me know. ;)

Eww, don't see how that could work for halo... Often you'll find yourself using melee several time in succession, having that tied to the same stick you use to aim with sounds like a recipe for disaster.... I'd probably throw of my aim as I tried to press in the right stick...

Ofcourse if you've been doing it since H2 you've jumped that hurdle...

TRI Mike

Halo 5 is showing up as "pre-ordered" in my Xbox One dashboard even though I didn't pre-order it. I have no charge in my credit card because I've never used or linked a card to my Xbox account, everything I do is via prepaid codes. What's going on¿

Bear in mind that I do own MCC and played the H5 beta back in December.

Halo 5 is showing up as "pre-ordered" in my Xbox One dashboard even though I didn't pre-order it. I have no charge in my credit card because I've never used or linked a card to my Xbox account, everything I do is via prepaid codes. What's going on¿

Used console?

Vico

I spoke with 343's Multiplayer Design Director Kevin Franklin last week. To answer a couple of gaf's questions:
-Legendary weapons aren't in custom games
-They aren't discussing file sharing
-It has multiplayer (as asked by Stinkles)

Having all the sandbox in forge and custom games is what made them special in the first place. I feel like it's always a bit useless to introduce something and not include it everywhere you can.

OEM

huh? What does showing up as preordered on dashboard means?

Ability to preorder? When you go to my games and apps. Do you see it downloaded?

IHaveIce

Banned
I spoke with 343's Multiplayer Design Director Kevin Franklin last week. To answer a couple of gaf's questions:
Wow megaton!?!?! MP is confirmed? Someone open the thread.

Trup1aya

Having all the sandbox in forge and custom games is what made them special in the first place. I feel like it's always a bit useless to introduce something and not include it everywhere you can.

Useless?

Just giving everyone all these weapon variants to play with in custom games would kind of sour the excitement of unlocking them in Warzone...

Useless?

Just giving everyone all these weapon variants to play with in custom games would kind of sour the excitement of unlocking them in Warzone...
Locking stuff behind one mode to preserve the excitement for people who want to unlock that stuff only in that mode and not have it available anywhere else is a bad reason in my opinion. Its not like it cant still be rewarding to unlock stuff in warzone when its all in custom games.
Half the fun in custom games is dicking around with a bunch of shit, and having all these weapon variants in custom games (combined with forge) would be awesome Think of all the crazy h.o.r.s.e. games you could play.

Vico

Useless?

Well, no, it wouldn't be that way for me, simply because matchmaking and custom games are two pretty different things. They'd still be special where they matter the most- in matchmaking.

Sai

Dang it...

I completely get why they keep them out of, or maintained in Arena matchmaking. But I would love to mess around with them in Forge or Custom gametypes. :(

Does this have something to do with how their unlocking is tied to Warzone and the REQ system? I hope they patch this later.

Blueblur1

Like I get it, but that's kinda lame. They looked cool and it would have been nice to have them to mess around with. Maybe one day they'll make them available.

Trup1aya

Locking stuff behind one mode to preserve the excitement for people who want to unlock that stuff only in that mode and not have it available anywhere else is a bad reason in my opinion. Its not like it cant still be rewarding to unlock stuff in warzone when its all in custom games.
Half the fun in custom games is dicking around with a bunch of shit, and having all these weapon variants in custom games (combined with forge) would be awesome Think of all the crazy h.o.r.s.e. games you could play.

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think having more weapons in Warzone will somehow make custom games less fun than they would be if Warzone didn't exist...

I guess you could say, customs won't see there true potential, But there are plenty of of base weapons to dick around with...

I dunno, I'm pretty sure if people could get everything in customs, they wouldn't bother earning them through Matchmaking at all...

So I understand the disappointment, but I also understand why it would be done this way, and I'm ok with it... You want the awe of using a legendary to be a rare and special occasion...

TRI Mike

huh? What does showing up as preordered on dashboard means?

Ability to preorder? When you go to my games and apps. Do you see it downloaded?

I didn't have time to check in detail, but it shows up as "Pre-ordered" in My Games and Apps.

Sai

I wanted to see how viable one of those ARs with the scopes/iron sights would be in Team Slayer, alongside a Legendary Magnum. :(

TRI Mike

I have it preordered and mine is only listed in my games and apps.

Did you pin to dadhboard the preorder from the store?

Sorry I meant showing up as "pre-ordered" in My Games and Apps. I already checked my recent purchase history and everything seems correct. No Halo 5 there.

Sai

What are legendary weapons?
More powerful variants of the weapons 'n vehicles we're used to. We saw one of them in the Halo 5 beta, the Prophet's Bane on the Midship remake, Truth; more powerful Energy Sword. The old Rocket Launcher design will also be returning as a Legendary weapon.

A bunch of them are available in Warzone through the REQ system.

Eww, don't see how that could work for halo... Often you'll find yourself using melee several time in succession, having that tied to the same stick you use to aim with sounds like a recipe for disaster.... I'd probably throw of my aim as I tried to press in the right stick...

Ofcourse if you've been doing it since H2 you've jumped that hurdle...

Well the issue where B was melee and i would lose all accuracy when moving my right thumb from aiming to pressing B hoping i was had my timing right. idk it felt like i was handicaped when i had to move to press B twice and miss the second time because he moved to the left or right a little.

However, i think some game tied the melee to one of the shoulder buttons right? Destiny? Idk, i cant think of it right now.

Moa

Probably so people wont complain about losing their legendary one time use req card in a custom game. They most likely don't have a system in place to put different parameters on the type of req card you are going to use. Just my guess though.

Warzone isn't playable in custom games. This is a non-issue.

Trup1aya

Well the issue where B was melee and i would lose all accuracy when moving my right thumb from aiming to pressing B hoping i was had my timing right. idk it felt like i was handicaped when i had to move to press B twice and miss the second time because he moved to the left or right a little.

However, i think some game tied the melee to one of the shoulder buttons right? Destiny? Idk, i cant think of it right now.

Your right, B as melee sucks worse. But I'm thinking it was Halo 3 that defaulted melee to RB (or maybe I just switched control schemes), I've had it there atleast since then... That's ideal, along with jump being LB. never take my hands of the sticks in the middle of action...

Since Halo2, Which button have you been using to zoom?

Your right, B as melee sucks worse. But I'm thinking it was Halo 3 that defaulted melee to RB, I've had it there atleast since then... That's ideal, along with jump being LB. never take my hands of the sticks in the middle of action...

Since Halo2, Which button have you been using to zoom?

I think B was for zoom for green thumb? o_O ..

Now in H5 B will be crouch. and left trigger zoom/smart link.

I think my real issue now is just having to press A to jump. Maybe ill switch RB (thrust pack) and A (jump)

hmmm.. or try to have jump on LB, nade on RB, Thruster on A....

They should give req packs with purchase of beer. 6pk gets you bronze, 12pk gets you silver, and a 30 rack gets a gold. I wonder what kind of beer chief would drink.. I bet he's a wine guy, shakes his footy drink then smells it. Locke is probably a raging alcoholic that drinks anything that's available.

Trup1aya

I think B was for zoom for green thumb? o_O ..

Now in H5 B will be crouch. and left trigger zoom/smart link.

I think my real issue now is just having to press A to jump. Maybe ill switch RB (thrust pack) and A (jump)

hmmm.. or try to have jump on LB, nade on RB, Thruster on A....

Hahaha

Man you've got your buttons all over the place

You need to go bumber jumper for sure... With LB jump, RB melee, LS crouch, RS zoom, LT grenade, RT shoot, X thruster, B reload, Y change weapon, A cycle grenades...

This way, you'll never have to take your finger off the sticks in the middle of a fire fight.

And when you do have to take your finger of the sticks, it will be to quickly tap a face button...

RyanW

I'll be interviewing 343 Industries' Design Director Kevin Franklin tomorrow. Any burning questions that anyone would like to ask?

Do you have any solid proof that you interviewed Franklin? Video with the answers you highlighted in your last post will work. Or who you work for so that you're able to get an interview?

I honestly see no reason to allow any Warzone weapons in Custom Games. It would completely take how special they are to see, hear, use, out of Warzone, especially the Legendaries.

Also, thanks for the upload of the first 5 tracks, they sound amazing! (Is it my connection of the uploads themselves, they seem to have small hiccups in some of the tracks)

I honestly see no reason to allow any Warzone weapons in Custom Games. It would completely take how special they are to see, hear, use, out of Warzone, especially the Legendaries.

Unless I'm mistaken, Legendary weapons are available in Arena too, just like standard weapons. The Prophet's Bane is a Legendary weapon and that was in the beta.

Just got through The Trials, holy fucking SHIT! It brings back so much. After that, Light is Green is the one for me.

O.S.T. day one!

Unless I'm mistaken, Legendary weapons are available in Arena too, just like standard weapons. The Prophet's Bane is a Legendary weapon and that was in the beta.

That's true, but I don't think there will be many. Not compared to how many there actually are.

Hahaha

Man you've got your buttons all over the place

You need to go bumber jumper for sure... With LB jump, RB melee, LS crouch, RS zoom, LT grenade, RT shoot, X thruster, B reload, Y change weapon, A cycle grenades...

This way, you'll never have to take your finger off the sticks in the middle of a fire fight.

And when you do have to take your finger of the sticks, it will be to quickly tap a face button...

Yeah i do... :( All for the melee on Right Stick HAHAHA!

So Bumber Jumper according to gamescon build-

RT- Fire Weapon
LT - Throw Gernade
RB- Melee/Spartan Charge, Ground Pound
LB - Jump / Clamber
LS- Crouch
RS - Smart Link/Zoom
A - Sprint
B - Action/Reload
X - Thruster Pack
Y- Switch Weapons

I'd switch X and B, LS and A for my preference.

X- Reload
B - Thruster Pack
LS - Sprint
A - Crouch

My changed layout -
RT- Fire Weapon
LT - Throw Gernade
LB - Jump / Clamber
LS - Sprint
RS - Smart Link/Zoom
A - Crouch
B - Thruster Pack
X- Reload
Y- Switch Weapons
Idk how i feel about the RS being smart link though..... lill have to give it another try. I need to get good again and perform those killtrocities.

shoreu

Yeah i do... :( All for the melee on Right Stick HAHAHA!

So Bumber Jumper according to gamescon build-

RT- Fire Weapon
LT - Throw Gernade
LB - Jump / Clamber
LS- Crouch
RS - Smart Link/Zoom
A - Sprint
B - Action/Reload
X - Thruster Pack
Y- Switch Weapons

I'd switch X and B, LS and A for my preference.

X- Reload
B - Thruster Pack
LS - Sprint
A - Crouch

My changed layout -

Idk how i feel about the RS being smart link though..... lill have to give it another try. I need to get good again and perform those killtrocities.

Bumper Jumper is GOAT man it's the way to go.

Top Bottom