• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Kibbles

I spoke with 343's Multiplayer Design Director Kevin Franklin last week. To answer a couple of gaf's questions:
-Legendary weapons aren't in custom games
-They aren't discussing file sharing
-It has multiplayer (as asked by Stinkles)
Lol wtf wow....

R.i.p SPNKR. Fuck boring Warzone

IHaveIce

Banned
They want you to keep buying those packs, of course they're not going to give you unlimited use in customs, heh.

yep also imagine the MLG kids who will again build all their favorite gamtype variant with a legendary BR as weapon and claim that this one has to be at tournaments

RoKKeR

Yeah i do... :( All for the melee on Right Stick HAHAHA!

So Bumber Jumper according to gamescon build-

RT- Fire Weapon
LT - Throw Gernade
RB- Melee/Spartan Charge, Ground Pound
LB - Jump / Clamber
LS- Crouch
RS - Smart Link/Zoom
A - Sprint
B - Action/Reload
X - Thruster Pack
Y- Switch Weapons

I'd switch X and B, LS and A for my preference.

X- Reload
B - Thruster Pack
LS - Sprint
A - Crouch

My changed layout -

Idk how i feel about the RS being smart link though..... lill have to give it another try. I need to get good again and perform those killtrocities.
Yeah I am really happy that button mapping is coming, so long as that means I can get Sprint on LS with Bumper Jumper.

Sai

I imagine that everyone that's picking up the Elite controller will be mapping the XYAB buttons to the paddles on the back, right? I always stuck with default/Recon, could never get used to Bumper Jumper. So, assigning jump to one of the paddles will be a huge improvement for me.

By the way, how'd they change the execution of Ground Pound? Is it just holding melee while airborne? How does that affect aerial assassinations?

They want you to keep buying those packs, of course they're not going to give you unlimited use in customs, heh.
:/ I really hope that isn't all there is to it, just keeping the mystique and appeal of 'em for Warzone requisitions.

But, if that's all there is to it, there could be a chance of them making the weapons available in Forge/Customs at a later time, right?

There seems to be a decent amount of negativity when it comes to Warzone. I admit I haven't really kept up with Halo 5 news but I watched some gameplay videos of it and it looked like fun. Is there some info I am missing?

I made a similar post before but after just getting my Xbox 1 not long ago and my love of Destiny's gunplay I am seriously considering getting this game. Mainly for the campaign and after I watched the videos last night of Warzon I wanted to try that out as well.

There seems to be a decent amount of negativity when it comes to Warzone. I admit I haven't really kept up with Halo 5 news but I watched some gameplay videos of it and it looked like fun. Is there some info I am missing?

I made a similar post before but after just getting my Xbox 1 not long ago and my love of Destiny's gunplay I am seriously considering getting this game. Mainly for the campaign and after I watched the videos last night of Warzon I wanted to try that out as well.

It's just new. People don't like it until they like it. Such is the way with Halo.

Sai

• It's new.
  • Folks are worried about the requisition system and the (optional)microtransactions that are a part of it.
  • It's new.
  • Some think it's replacing Big Team Battle, or that they're intentionally delaying BTB to give Warzone a bigger push.
  • It's new.
I remember a few people showing some aversion to Invasion when it was first revealed, and that was completely innocuous. Now, a bunch of people seem to want it back almost just as much as Firefight. :x

Halo fans're weird.

So am I crazy for expecting the gunplay in Halo 5 and Destiny to be similar? If it's anything like Destiny I will have to buy this day 1.

Watched all the campaign trailers I could find and man does the game look pretty.

Sai

So am I crazy for expecting the gunplay in Halo 5 and Destiny to be similar?
Not really. They both come from the same Halo mold, and now with Halo 5's ADS-lookin' Smart-Link, it should appear even more similar; even though your movement speed isn't inhibited by it in Halo 5.

Haven't played enough of Destiny to know if the hitboxes, aim-assist, and bullet magnetism are all that similar.

Thought this was really cool :)

UpZvtys.jpg
[/IMG]

Glass

Most people that I've seen are pretty hyped for Warzone. The arena side of multiplayer seems super competitive, I think Warzone is going to be a lot of peoples default multiplayer experience.

No it does look fun but people are lashing out because they're not getting every single thing they wanted in the game. That's how this thing goes.

It is a response to what many people have complained about halo that aren't ultra competitive players. They are giving you a mode that's non stop battle with things to collect to make it feel like you are progressing. It looks like they did a good job of it to be honest. The fact the some people are crying because they can't have it all in custom games means they've made items that people are actually interested in using.

It's all a little disturbing that with the amount of games releasing with very little content included at launch, that we are willing to nitpick a developer who is going over the moon to deliver content in every aspect of their game. Most of the stuff people are crying about can be fixed by the flip of a switch. We should be encouraging Devs like 343i.

I hope Warzone has more enemies than what I have seen so far. I mean AI controlled enemies like Covenant.

Is there possibility to choose if one uses ADS or regular Smart link?

Yeah I am really happy that button mapping is coming, so long as that means I can get Sprint on LS with Bumper Jumper.

Yeah, pressing A for sprint seems a bit of odd placement to me. lol id rather have A as crouch for when i want to slide as im running.

but yeah ill need to get used to this new layout as im a green thumb guy. X_x

I hope Warzone has more enemies than what I have seen so far. I mean AI controlled enemies like Covenant.

Is there possibility to choose if one uses ADS or regular Smart link?

I think you're the first to think they are different, when asking about Smart Link.

Essentially Smart Link is the ADS of other games, but there is no animation where the spartan moves the gun up to his visor to aim down the sights. Just Scopes and Smart links.

Anyone correct me if im wrong.

RAIDEN1

Just put in my pre-order for the limited edition console bundle for this game!!! Can't wait! ....Xbox one game of the year by some distance...I'd say...

Euron

People are just pissed about the lack of BTB at launch due to the focus on Warzone. Yes I'm disappointed too but honestly Warzone looks great and I'm really looking forward to it.

One other thing: Halo 5 is already confirmed to have terminals right? Those were one of my favorite parts of Anniversary and 4. They're so well done.

RSB

Banned
So am I crazy for expecting the gunplay in Halo 5 and Destiny to be similar? If it's anything like Destiny I will have to buy this day 1.

Watched all the campaign trailers I could find and man does the game look pretty.
Halo's gunplay is nothing like Destiny (thankfully) No accuracy penalties when airborne, no movement speed penalties when zooming with a weapon, no accuracy penalties for hip-fire, descoping instead of flinch...

JaggedSac

I think you're the first to think they are different, when asking about Smart Link.

Essentially Smart Link is the ADS of other games, but there is no animation where the spartan moves the gun up to his visor to aim down the sights. Just Scopes and Smart links.

There is no change in movement speed in Halo as well, which is different than most.

Other than aesthetics and applying to all weapons Smart Link is essentially the same as the old Halo's zoom, which means no movement speed penalties, descope when shot, same accuracy as hip fire, it is miles different than ADS from other games.

Halo's gunplay is nothing like Destiny (thankfully) No accuracy penalties when airborne, no movement speed penalties when zooming with a weapon, no accuracy penalties for hip-fire, descoping instead of flinch...

100% this. There's less auto-aim also, I reckon.

Destiny's fabled 'gunplay' can do one in comparison, to be frank.

The weapons don't have identical accuracies during hipfire, dudes. If I remember correctly it's based on the amount of zoom, which functionally makes the reticle cover a smaller area. But aiming from the hip is still completely viable and it doesn't make a noticeable difference with most weapons.

Huh well it's the first console FPS to even keep my attention so it must have done something right. Maybe some of the assists helped me but I think it's a lot of fun. Especially with the powers you get over time.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but I understood that Ads in Halo 5 is same as that zoom in older games. So only differences is aesthetics and everything else is the same, so no movement penalties etc.

So I was just wondering if we could choose which to use, since there is no other differences than aesthetics.

Glass

Beta was a long time ago, maybe Prophets Bane won't be there any more. We've seen a lot more Arena maps now, only normal power weapons there.

I'm guessing there will be a select few Legendary weapons that are available, at least on some maps. Or I am hoping as much.

Because SPNKr needs to return to Arena MM. Also, that BR with the more traditional scope.

RSB

Banned

Oh yeah, forgot about that. The aim-assist in Destiny is too high, indeed. Halo 5 on the other hand, has the lowest aim-assist since Halo CE, which is awesome (it's one of the things I liked the most when I played the beta)

Trup1aya

Yeah i do... :( All for the melee on Right Stick HAHAHA!

So Bumber Jumper according to gamescon build-

RT- Fire Weapon
LT - Throw Gernade
RB- Melee/Spartan Charge, Ground Pound
LB - Jump / Clamber
LS- Crouch
RS - Smart Link/Zoom
A - Sprint
B - Action/Reload
X - Thruster Pack
Y- Switch Weapons

I'd switch X and B, LS and A for my preference.

X- Reload
B - Thruster Pack
LS - Sprint
A - Crouch

My changed layout -

Idk how i feel about the RS being smart link though..... lill have to give it another try. I need to get good again and perform those killtrocities.

RS for zoom is THE WAY to go... The right stick should be dedicated to all things aiming. Total control over your reticle in one place.

COD moved zoom to LT , and the industry followed... But it make no sense to me to have to hold two triggers in to fire a single gun...

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but I understood that Ads in Halo 5 is same as that zoom in older games. So only differences is aesthetics and everything else is the same, so no movement penalties etc.

So I was just wondering if we could choose which to use, since there is no other differences than aesthetics.

Once again, there is a difference.

Since the weapon zooms but the reticle stays the same size, this means the reticle is covering a smaller area than it does in hipfire. So there is a difference, but I think it's pretty much the same difference as weapons that had scopes in previous Halos (now they all have scopes though).

Edit: I noticed the reticle size actually shrinks, woops. So yea, it makes more of a difference than I thought.

Top Bottom